Author Topic: The Dear Hunter v "Migrant Returned" (10/6/23)  (Read 343756 times)

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
Re: The Dear Hunter - The Indigo Child (2020)
« Reply #3675 on: November 27, 2019, 08:30:47 AM »
I liked Yellow and Green most.  The pure pop of Yellow is a joy to listen too, and as someone who enjoys a folky aspect to music Green was right in my ballpark. 

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3676 on: November 27, 2019, 08:37:15 AM »
Man, Orange is underrated. Yeah, A Sea Of Solid Earth is kind of boring, but Stuck On A Wire... is fun, Echo is great, and But There's Wolves? might be my favorite song in the entire collection.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3678 on: November 27, 2019, 09:25:45 AM »
Green is my favorite followed by Indigo.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3679 on: November 27, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
1. White
2. Yellow
3. Indigo
4. Violet

for me. Then hard to rank the rest. Would have to listen more.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #3680 on: November 27, 2019, 09:48:06 AM »
They scheduled it dead in the middle of hurricane season, with both ports being hurricane magnets?

I'm guessing they did that because cruising is much cheaper this time of year.  I love cruises, and I love The Dear Hunter, but this pretty much does not interest me at all.  Oh well... hopefully they do a real tour too.

I'm surprised no one has posted this already. Casey has confirmed (as it has been shared with any one who attended their recent tour) that they are working on a new concept story/set of albums titled Indigo Child. According to Casey this new story will be told musically, visually and amongst other mediums as well. Comments on the below link suggest that they are in the studio, to start recording, in February! Pumped.

This is what I was referring to in my earlier post.  Just didn't mention it specifically because people at the shows were asked to keep it under wraps until the tour ended.  Based on what I saw, and a few conversions with band members and other friends of mine who are close to the band, this is going to be very extensive.  The way Casey described it when he introduced it at the show was that it was a "new fictional universe" (or something to that effect).  They've definitely got a lot of music planned for it, and I'm hearing whispers of a number of different forms of media as well (in addition to music and the visual aspects).

Great news! I'm curious if it will musically sound similar to the Acts or if they'll go a new direction. Can't wait to find out!

The two songs I heard live sounded pretty different to me.  They joked that they're now a funk band.  Imo though they definitely had the vibe of being a part of something much bigger.

Hmm I wonder if there is a clue in the possible direction of the music in the name.  'Indigo' from the color spectrum was the electronic trippy atmospheric one. 

It's not.  The name is a reference to this:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #3681 on: November 29, 2019, 01:47:36 AM »
1. White
2. Yellow
3. Indigo
4. Violet

for me. Then hard to rank the rest. Would have to listen more.

Always thought as 'white' as the Coldplay one.   It's got one of the best songs of the entire set on it in 'Home' but the other 3 songs are a bit dull (like Coldplay) IMO.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3682 on: December 02, 2019, 09:30:14 AM »
I think they are all excellent tunes. The problem for me is that when you pack together all these tracks that are supposed to be grandiose and emotional, they kind of neutralize each other. Like imagine if you had an album full of A Beginning. It wouldn't have nearly the impact as it does at the end of Act V.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3683 on: January 12, 2020, 07:20:38 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/p/B7PCU21nsFH/

“Our darkness for her light...”

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3684 on: January 17, 2020, 02:31:19 AM »
The band has just been announced to play at ProgPower Europe 2020, they'll headline the festival on Saturday, October 3rd.

Didn't think I'll be able to cross TDH from my bucket list of bands to see live, but apparently I will, super stoked about this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3685 on: January 17, 2020, 02:36:33 AM »
FUCKING HELL NO WAY

This line-up is getting better and better.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3686 on: January 18, 2020, 02:05:20 PM »
yeah it could be really good exposure for them.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3687 on: February 17, 2020, 06:31:34 AM »
So it looks like the boys are about to announce a string of European dates. There's this link - https://www.reddit.com/r/TheDearHunter/comments/f578om/is_this_legit/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share which seems to suggest UK dates, of which there are 4. I imagine more will come soon.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3688 on: February 17, 2020, 11:07:04 AM »
yep, also there's a The Receiving End of Sirens reunion apparently with Envy on the Coast in May.

https://www.facebook.com/TheReceivingEndofSirens/videos/121541889290876/

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3689 on: February 18, 2020, 11:27:13 AM »
yep, also there's a The Receiving End of Sirens reunion apparently with Envy on the Coast in May.

https://www.facebook.com/TheReceivingEndofSirens/videos/121541889290876/

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #3690 on: February 18, 2020, 06:05:30 PM »
Why the hell would they play Pomona and LA, they are literally right next to each other. At least do one show in northern California somewhere....
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3691 on: February 19, 2020, 03:04:49 AM »
Just secured 2 tickets to see them in Bristol ❤

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #3692 on: March 05, 2020, 10:29:16 AM »
The Fox and the Hunt is up on Spotify guys, for those who haven't heard it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3693 on: March 05, 2020, 11:49:13 AM »
the 1st episode of  "The Makey Words Podcast" is up  :tup

https://thedearhunter.com/podcast

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #3694 on: March 27, 2020, 04:34:33 PM »
So i'm really impressed by The Fox and the Hunt, I actually don't know much about this. Haven't followed TDH closely for sometime but I stumbled upon this today so what's the story behind this? Is the band involved or is this only for orchestra? The production and arrangements are just superb imo.  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3695 on: March 29, 2020, 03:15:53 PM »
I just noticed they are taking preorders for The Fox & the Hunt separately on vinyl.

https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/

I don't know how I can't pick that up (I didn't order The Acts Boxed Set since I already own all their records on Vinyl, and in some cases, I have more than 1 version).

MrBoom_shack_a_lack, I believe what it is more or less is newly arranged versions of pieces from Act IV and Act V with the Awesome Orchestra.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu4Jj5AnOFG/

It’s difficult to pick which detail I should divulge first, but I will begin by announcing “The Acts”, a comprehensive collection of my band, The Dear Hunter’s record series of the same name.
I’ve wanted to compile these records into a single collection since the release of Act V, but there was one missing link, which leads to the next part of the puzzle.
At the time of recording Acts IV and V, I had the privilege to work with Conductor David Moeshler and his Awesöme Orchestra. Prior to our initial recording, I was introduced to the work of the composer Brian Adam McCune, who also works with David as an orchestrator and arranger for the various collaborations and musical experiments of AÖ.
Brian and I developed an immediate musical kinship, and in discussing the forthcoming recordings, I told him the hope I had of focusing the orchestration/arrangement on a dual purpose—both as a featured element of our albums, and as an isolated listening experience.

This meant writing and arrangement elements that would not be used at the time of Act IV/V’s release—the result of which is “The Fox & the Hunt”. At roughly 57 minutes long, “The Fox & the Hunt” holds a strong tether to its parent pieces, but is meant to be experienced on its own, and we are so excited to share it with you as part of this comprehensive collection.
While “The Fox & the Hunt” is meant to serve a dual purpose, it was vital that we made this collection feel cohesive- and I am so excited to say we have enlisted the incredibly artistry of Nicky Barkla, who painted the covers of Acts IV and V.

While the visual side of this musical story has always been a top priority, Nicky’s work represents a different level of inspired creation that was vital to incorporate in the albums which predates her involvement, and so, she has created 3 new covers for Acts I-III, building upon the inspired intrigue and beauty she brought to Acts IV and V.

With that, the collection finally feels complete, and of a singular identity. I look back on these 5 albums in disbelief of the journey I have taken- and it has been due, in no small part, to the loving ear you have all lent to this music, and my band."

not surprising, the TREOS reunion shows are canceled/haven't been rescheduled yet

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-H1nNqg_R0/?utm_source=ig_embed

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3696 on: April 19, 2020, 04:23:49 PM »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #3697 on: April 19, 2020, 11:09:25 PM »
Nicky posted the new cover art for Acts I-III on her DeviantArt account about a month back, if anyone wants to replace the old ones.

(Since DeviantArt can be... spicy, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link to it or not.)
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3698 on: June 24, 2020, 06:45:44 PM »
new podcast/interview with Casey

-he's still working on this Short Film "The Indigo Child" which the name came from wanting to base it on "Indigo" from The Color Spectrum, but it became a lot more.
-a 5-song Solo EP under the name "Honorary Astronaut" is coming; 70's Rock in the vein of ELO and Bowie I guess
-The band has music they are making based on "locations"

https://progreport.com/casey-crescenzo-the-dear-hunter-interview/?fbclid=IwAR1iRzDS68QvtHgNLhhXW1_jWHUP4rxbD1klKZifMCfdrnbnlW1eCTGnTe4

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3699 on: July 30, 2020, 07:51:06 PM »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3700 on: July 31, 2020, 06:45:01 AM »
stream, q&a on Saturday 6PM Pacific
https://www.facebook.com/therealTDH/posts/10158686695789166
Unfortunately I won't be home when this is happening, otherwise I'd be all over it.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3701 on: August 14, 2020, 02:24:07 PM »
Casey's new retro sounding project Honorary Astronaut debut EP preorders are up.
https://www.caveandcanarygoods.com/?fbclid=IwAR25GDZzSdTY4T06BycBMxAVzousBE7zad-f6A9Crf5uPykCMLVF4M8pdPQ

1st single "Final Dream Machine"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv0wDB0-8g0

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Dear Hunter v Casey Crescenzo's HONORARY ASTRONAUT EP (2020)
« Reply #3702 on: August 15, 2020, 12:25:44 PM »
I really like that! I sure do admire his vocals.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #3703 on: August 15, 2020, 10:47:43 PM »
That was quite an exciting track, but I didn't feel like it was really that far removed from his TDH work overall -- was hoping for something a bit more of a departure for a side project.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3704 on: August 16, 2020, 07:04:34 AM »
I liked the track as well, but agree that it easily could have been a TDH track. If you're going to go to the trouble to give it a different band name, it would be nice for it to sound noticeably different.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3705 on: August 16, 2020, 09:54:31 AM »
I feel like the reason it's a separate project is because there's minimal involvement from others. even if it sounds like TDH, I still love it, regardless of what name it's under.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #3706 on: August 17, 2020, 04:59:07 AM »
I feel like the reason it's a separate project is because there's minimal involvement from others. even if it sounds like TDH, I still love it, regardless of what name it's under.
Doesn't Casey already write all of the music and lyrics for TDH? I wasn't under the impression the other guys contributed much to the writing process

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3707 on: August 17, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
I was thinking mostly from a performance aspect, but yeah, I think you’re right. I’m not sure how much contributions the others have had to the songwriting process on their latest works.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3708 on: August 17, 2020, 12:23:30 PM »
I think Casey has written nearly all of their music, although I'm not certain he soley wrote the music on All Is As All Should Be per those were tunes that were essentially created, kind of on the spot jams if I recall.

From what he wrote on Instagram, it seems Casey wanted to release something soon, even though what has come from The Indigo Child has taken as long as it has.

caseycrescenzo
Hi everyone. I made a thing that isn't The Dear Hunter. Don't fret, though. I can explain. While I have been diligently at work on the newest TDH project(s), it became clear earlier this year that we would need to rethink the schedule we had in place. While this offered additional time to craft and nurture these projects, it also meant more time to spend within a holding pattern, surrounded by unfinished art. This feeling is difficult for me to cope with, as I had grown accustomed to the consistency of releasing new music every 1-2 years. The gestation period for this current project was already uncharacteristically long, due to a number of reasons, but the addition of this indeterminate state off suspended animation wore on me, and I felt a stir-craziness that could only really be satiated by seeing something, no matter how small, through from inception to completion. Enter Honorary Astronaut. At first, I planned to unearth and rerecord a few previously unheard demos, but as I transitioned into studio mode, and found myself spending the bulk of my days on this music, I leaned towards making something new. The result is a 5 song ep, written (with the exception of one track from some years ago) and recorded in late spring. I don't know that it would do me good to try and describe it. Not for the sake of it being indescribable, but because- what would the point be? I can just show you. Today, I am sharing the song "Final Dream Machine" with you, via a lyric video created in collaboration with Erez Bader. We hope you enjoy it.

Link in my bio

And maybe he feels it differs enough and since he played and performed nearly everything on it, it doesn't feel like it's the entire The Dear Hunter band involved.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3709 on: August 17, 2020, 12:43:04 PM »
Wow, that song did nothing for me.