Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271329 times)

Offline emtee

Re: Anathema
« Reply #2555 on: September 22, 2020, 01:15:07 PM »
There are going to be thousands, heck, maybe hundreds of thousands of musicians who will be facing this reality. And, sadly, most of them have no plan B or training of any other kind. Tough times. They made a ton of very moving music. The video where the fans start singing and Vincent starts to cry, makes me eyes well up every time.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2556 on: September 22, 2020, 01:55:20 PM »
Anathema have gone on indefinite hiatus.

https://www.facebook.com/125049763628/posts/10158682760833629/

-Marc.
This is fucking heartbreaking. What a sad day. I hope that they'll eventually come back stronger, someday.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2557 on: September 22, 2020, 02:05:30 PM »
I'm so glad I managed to see them live on the last tour, it was an amazing gig. As one of my very favorite bands this breaks me  :sadpanda:

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2558 on: September 22, 2020, 02:44:20 PM »
DAMNIT FUCK
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2559 on: September 22, 2020, 06:46:17 PM »
I spent last year and earlier this year getting into them and getting their whole studio discography, and then this happens. It's my experience with Porcupine Tree in 2010 all over again.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2560 on: September 23, 2020, 06:35:04 AM »
Listening to Back to the Start. Wish that “song“ was longer. That climax is wonderful.

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2561 on: September 23, 2020, 10:28:36 AM »
Terrible news :(

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #2562 on: September 23, 2020, 11:46:26 AM »
I´m not very familiar with Anathema´s discography but I was really looking forward to seeing them this earlier this year until the festival got cancelled.

Fucking lockdowns and travel restrictions are killing an entire industry. There is zero perspective when concerts or festivals will be allowed again. Livestreams may offer an alternative from a business point of view but these bands all started at some point because they love to share their music in a real environment with real people.

I´m afraid more bands will follow and a lot of people in this industry will suffer both financially and mentally with autumn and winter arriving soon in Europe and the US. I was hoping to be able to see some liveshows early next year but the way things are developing I´m really afraid 2021 will be another lost year for musicians and their fans. Let´s hope things change the other way around soon.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2563 on: October 12, 2020, 03:42:21 PM »
Was obviously bummed out by the news, but the fact that they deleted their official Twitter, there appears to be a clearance sale going on in their Omerch store, and Duncan Patterson stated that reuniting with Anathema would "go against all my ethics and morals" due to certain recent events tells me this is not just a hiatus and there's more to this story. They also signed a record deal last year, so perhaps not coming out and saying the band is finished is a way to avoid getting in legal trouble.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2564 on: October 12, 2020, 03:52:17 PM »
Yeah, I think there's some other thing we haven't heard about yet. I have nothing but hunch but over time I've got the feeling that a certain member of the band must be quite a challenging person to be around. Again, pure guess, but a big falling out?

Back in May, Vince had posted videos about how the new album was going, chatting about stuff. It's a big turnaround. The message was so cryptic, I thought.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2565 on: October 12, 2020, 03:55:20 PM »
...and Duncan Patterson stated that reuniting with Anathema would "go against all my ethics and morals" due to certain recent events tells me this is not just a hiatus and there's more to this story....

To be fair, Duncan Patterson hasn't been in the band since Alternative 4, so I don't know if him not wanting to come back really signifies much.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2566 on: October 13, 2020, 12:27:45 AM »
...and Duncan Patterson stated that reuniting with Anathema would "go against all my ethics and morals" due to certain recent events tells me this is not just a hiatus and there's more to this story....

To be fair, Duncan Patterson hasn't been in the band since Alternative 4, so I don't know if him not wanting to come back really signifies much.
Yeah that's what I was thinking. Not sure that has anything to do with anything, and the Clearance sale is likely an attempt to try and raise some revenue sooner rather than later. I agree that deleting their Twitter is pretty odd, but they haven't deleted their Facebook page so they haven't abandoned their social media presence.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2567 on: October 14, 2020, 02:19:20 AM »

My bad, should've specified that it was about live shows - he did the Acoustic Resonance tour with Danny and Vincent in Latin America just last year and even in February this year, he was talking about what a great experience it was: https://www.facebook.com/notes/anathema-colombia/grace-road-duncan-patterson-interview-2020/2656595384388619/

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2568 on: October 14, 2020, 05:11:41 AM »
Back in May, Vince had posted videos about how the new album was going, chatting about stuff. It's a big turnaround. The message was so cryptic, I thought.
Yeah, someone must have fucked up big time to make them go from there to where we are now.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2569 on: October 14, 2020, 09:49:34 AM »
Didn't they have a lot of money invested in a tour that didn't happen due to Covid? I thought that possibly hit the band quite hard. Then again I'm sure there could have been another solution than just break up the band if that was the only reason.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2570 on: October 14, 2020, 01:21:04 PM »
Didn't they have a lot of money invested in a tour that didn't happen due to Covid? I thought that possibly hit the band quite hard. Then again I'm sure there could have been another solution than just break up the band if that was the only reason.

They did lose a lot of money at the beginning of the tour since transportation, merch, and lights/sounds are most likely paid upfront. Plus probably some of the wages of the tour manager and roadies. It was very devastating for them to cancel the tour since they played maybe 5 shows before pulling the plug. I do think there's more to the financial aspect on why the band got disbanded.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2571 on: May 07, 2021, 10:18:10 PM »
bump.

https://www.facebook.com/anathemamusic/posts/10159218377598629

Hello all.
There will be an upcoming solo album from Daniel Cavanagh coming soon called “Cellar Door”. The album is written and recording will begin as soon as is convenient.
Many blessings and wishing you all much happiness.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2572 on: May 08, 2021, 04:33:46 PM »
I wonder if this is the material he'd written for the Anathema record. If he can make it as a solo album you'd think he could get Vince to sing on it too? Bah. I wish they had said more about the split. So frustrating.

I've only tried his last album a couple times but it didn't stick. Just seemed like Anathema without that magic spark to me. I've not got super high hopes for this, tbh, but am curious.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2573 on: May 08, 2021, 05:30:01 PM »
It's hard not to think it's the scrapped music considering the album cover is using the font and placement style The Optimist had. The cover art almost screams "sequel" to me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2574 on: May 09, 2021, 02:14:34 AM »
It's a shame with everything going on behind the scenes considering Daniel seems to be at the forefront of the drama that killed the band. Him being the one to put out this album looks a bit ugly all things considered, and I will imagine there will be a lot of backlash to this no matter if it's good or bad.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2575 on: May 09, 2021, 03:32:30 AM »
Have you heard anything concrete about Daniel being at the core of the split? I'd assumed he was as he seems like a very intense guy but I've not read anything to that effect.

TBH, I feel pretty let down as a fan by the lack of explanation.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2576 on: May 09, 2021, 07:19:39 AM »
Have you heard anything concrete about Daniel being at the core of the split? I'd assumed he was as he seems like a very intense guy but I've not read anything to that effect.

There's a lot of buzz about Daniel and reported toxic behavior behind the scenes towards fans with some stories going around. Rumors about worse interactions with female fans and a lot of people saying he's in a dire situation with lawyers involved and such.

It's hard to know what's truth and what's not but the fact he's been selling off guitars and keyboards to earn quick money doesn't really look too good.

It's a shame because I still love the band and knowing we probably won't ever get anymore is a big sadness.  :(

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2577 on: May 09, 2021, 10:13:27 AM »
Oh. That's troubling.

I feel the same. Damn shame.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2578 on: May 09, 2021, 10:35:02 AM »
Wow, I had no idea.

But something like that makes it make more sense that the band imploded. Sucks none the less

Offline pfillion

« Reply #2579 on: May 17, 2021, 02:08:08 PM »
New Danny Cavanagh song

https://youtu.be/MxbSnR4EXdY

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2580 on: May 17, 2021, 07:02:57 PM »
Damn, that was fast.

Personally, this didn't do much for me, but it may make more sense in context. Also, I can't help but note the similarities to Are You There from Anathema's Natural Disaster.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2581 on: June 07, 2021, 12:33:31 PM »
I know this not new information but holy fuck Untouchable Parts 1&2 are just so perfect!

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2582 on: June 07, 2021, 01:25:50 PM »
Every time this thread is bumped and there is no news of them getting back together I get more sad.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online nick_z

« Reply #2583 on: June 07, 2021, 02:32:12 PM »
I know this not new information but holy fuck Untouchable Parts 1&2 are just so perfect!

I'm overall more of a fan of the Eternity-Alternative 4-Judgement period (I find the happy/positive energy vibe of We're here... and Weather Systems a tad overdone at times - although I do really like the albums). That said, I'd have to agree, Untouchable Parts 1&2 are so, so good.   

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2584 on: June 08, 2021, 06:25:38 AM »
Every time this thread is bumped and there is no news of them getting back together I get more sad.

Sorry to keep breaking your heart

But anyway, just listening to Alternative 4 and they do a Bad Religion cover at the end. Can't say I expected that, when do bands like Anathema ever cover punk rock bands?? Respect

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2585 on: June 08, 2021, 08:25:48 AM »

So much yes. Some of the most perfect recorded music I ever heard.  :)

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2586 on: September 13, 2021, 08:05:20 AM »

There's a lot of buzz about Daniel and reported toxic behavior behind the scenes towards fans with some stories going around. Rumors about worse interactions with female fans and a lot of people saying he's in a dire situation with lawyers involved and such.

It's hard to know what's truth and what's not but the fact he's been selling off guitars and keyboards to earn quick money doesn't really look too good.

Have there been any updates on this? I keep seeing those listings for guitars / keyboards (sometimes discounted) which lines up with what you're saying here, but this is the only time I've heard about it.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2587 on: September 13, 2021, 09:57:18 AM »
In addition to the listings, I keep seeing updates for a new album under the Weather Systems name. It's funny because the band name is the same font as the Anathema name's been, and the album title is in the same lowercase italics as the other album titles, so... it just looks like a slightly off Anathema record.  :lol

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2588 on: September 13, 2021, 09:57:38 AM »

Have there been any updates on this? I keep seeing those listings for guitars / keyboards (sometimes discounted) which lines up with what you're saying here, but this is the only time I've heard about it.

I've been very curious about it as well because I loved this band and the sudden break up without much of a reason followed by him selling all his gear just felt very suspicious. You try to search about "why did anathema break up" and you find speculation ranging from "Covid hit them hard" to accusations of Daniel touching kids. I hope it's not as bad as the worst accusations suggest but I also think the idea that all the selling of equipment is in order to finance legal fees also makes sense.

It's weird because Daniel seems to be working on that new Weather Systems project and there seems to be, at least from his side a genuine attempt at carrying on the legacy and even reaching out a hand to the other members to get them involved. (Something about the announcement of this project included a line about possibly involving more of the Anathema family moving forward) So the fact he's also selling off his equipment and there's a big radio silence, as well as seemingly a growing distance between him and any of the other members is weird.

I do hope it's not unfixable but I would imagine if there's an ongoing court case or something to that effect we probably won't hear much until it's resolved. I would have imagined if this was just a regular split that someone would have spoken out by now to clarify things. :(

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2589 on: September 13, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »
I feel you. I still feel hacked off about the lack of detail re the split.