Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271636 times)

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
Re: Anathema
« Reply #1925 on: June 21, 2014, 11:02:08 AM »
I skipped the first two tracks on first listen, because I just didn't feel like it. Upon skipping through them, it sounded exactly like an Untouchables (A song I'm not too fond of) copy: part 1 is uptempo and builds to a large crescendo, and part two is the slowed down part for Lee.

Since I've been listening to the entire album, I have to say that 'The Lost Song' is far ahead from 'Untouchables'. It doesn't have that annoying 'I'm so happy I want to cry' feeling; instead it has a dark vibe and an urgency to it that I really love. Also in part 2 when she sings 'Can't believe it was just an illiusion' with the dramatic strings behind is is pretty darn epic.

Part 3 doesn't seem unnecessary to me, it feels like a sort of epilogue to parts 1 and 2, but less obvious and unconventional.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1926 on: June 21, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
I actually really love how they structure those songs. Similar to how they did on Eternity with the title track there, but I really love their 2-3 part songs. Untouchable and now The Lost Song, I really love it. Doesn't bother me that they follow a structure of the first one being more up tempo and the second being a calmer song with more Lee vocals. To be honest, if the next album doesn't have a song with several parts, I'll actually be slightly sad for a moment since I've gotten used to it now. :P

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1927 on: June 21, 2014, 12:59:15 PM »
I like both Untouchables and The Lost Songs, but the next album should be opened in a different way instead of a two-part suite to avoid predictability.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1928 on: June 21, 2014, 04:45:40 PM »
You could still change up the formula even if you have a two-part suite. It doesn't have to follow the same tradition. You could start with a calm song leading into an up tempo one. :P

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1929 on: June 21, 2014, 04:57:46 PM »
The first half of the album doesn't do anything for me. It's just more of the same. One  time was refreshing, now it's repetitive, too much sugar, too much vicent singing"I looove" "Flyyyy" and things like that. Too chesy at this point. The second Half it gets better even though i did not like that much the title song, but at least they try new things. It's not a great second half, like Weather Systems, but I can enjoy it.
Anathema and You're not Alone the Highlights of the album for me.

BTW, hello everyone  :metal
« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 05:06:46 PM by Xenon »

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1930 on: June 21, 2014, 05:33:40 PM »
I like both Untouchables and The Lost Songs, but the next album should be opened in a different way instead of a two-part suite to avoid predictability.

Ditto, Untouchables was the songs that sold me on the band and happened to be the first songs I ever heard from them. It was love at first listen.

Offline adace

« Reply #1931 on: June 25, 2014, 05:37:21 AM »
Lost Song Pt. 2 acoustic clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FGvpY74MCU

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1932 on: June 25, 2014, 06:08:34 AM »
This album turned to be a grower and in time I think I might end up liking it more than WS.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1933 on: June 25, 2014, 07:01:44 AM »
After a couple of listens I can say that this album doesn't live up to the 2 previous ones. Although the last part brings a new feeling with the electronic elements the first half sounds a lot like they were just repeating the formula and while there are some songs that I really like overall I don't get those intense feelings Anathema normally generates.

This album turned to be a grower and in time I think I might end up liking it more than WS.

I don't know if I will ever end up liking it more than WS, but I sure do love growers!  :) and glad to see that you're happy with it.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1934 on: June 25, 2014, 08:14:16 AM »
Lost Song Pt. 2 acoustic clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FGvpY74MCU
Better that album version IMO

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1935 on: June 25, 2014, 11:31:03 AM »
I don't really have anything different than what the others have already said but I'm really loving this album  :)

Offline master

« Reply #1936 on: June 25, 2014, 07:17:44 PM »
i do hear what someone said elsewhere, the girl singing hits the grand ole opry on i think its Ariel or Lost Song Pt 2 and theres one word she sings thats no
really a 'bum' note but screeches.

i would say without a doubt the first half is repetitive going by WS but the lost song pt3 is the strongest of that trio, more power in it.
The only things l like about the first half are the bass players sound and his playing plus that rhythm on the lost songs, particularly prominent
on part 3, off kilter beat, whoever came up with that should be credited, if it was their session drummer then give him the credit, its owns the song.

The entire album thoughis repetitive in the... lyrics.

Theres bits n bobs from albums going back to 1998 rehashed, its marketing anathema at its shallow'ist.

yes, they are just words, "hold on" nothing unusual about that (AFDTE) but this is anathema and this how they phrase within the context of 'emotional'.

believe, love and feel, inside, yea yea, its become boring but then again they're aiming for radio and want it so bad, on ye go, don't say we didn't warn ye.

Their guitarist says, this is natural, they're not doing it to gain popularity, money, fame etc - completer bollicks. That guy has his eyes on the bag of money and will hold it tight. They do sincerely love what they do thought but they can't deny their musical direction and choice to go that way is to appeal and spread their work
for recognition.... recognition, granted many want it for their hard work = fame.

So, yea complete bollicks there. They aren't ever going to be a Radiohead or a Coldplay, they're thinking too much about that and getting confused within a 'what might work' Faithless/Moby come Sigur Ros kind of way. This was a band i thought were different but are becoming more and more predictable. No, electronics are not surprising.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1937 on: June 25, 2014, 07:45:08 PM »
I forgot the actual emoticon code, so I have to improvise

:facepalm:+ :lol

Seriously though, what did you hope to accomplish with that post?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1938 on: June 25, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
:lolpalm:

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1939 on: June 25, 2014, 09:26:33 PM »
Lee Douglas' vibrato is kind of annoying, but I wouldn't mind a solo album from her. Great voice.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: June 26, 2014, 12:14:57 AM »
If Anathema want to go mainstream, why don't they just write 3-minute songs with the verse-chorus formula? It's not like the album is full of radio singles.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1941 on: June 26, 2014, 02:57:40 AM »
If Anathema want to go mainstream, why don't they just write 3-minute songs with the verse-chorus formula? It's not like the album is full of radio singles.

If they sell out by using industry standard lamo formulaic songs then they would just sound like every other garden variety band and would more than likely fail in the process by alienating their fanbase. Their unique brand of building and climaxing a song is an endearing and special quality.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1942 on: June 26, 2014, 03:53:03 AM »
Becoming mainstream or successful doesn't just have to do with what kind of music you make though. It's not just about starting to write formulaic songs that would fit on the radio. At this point, I think it's safe to say that Anathema will never become one of those bands like Radiohead or Coldplay, but with that said they don't need to. And personally I like their songwriting more, and would say they are miles above Coldplay quality-wise, so I can't complain.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: June 27, 2014, 09:55:22 AM »
Anathema is nominated in a few categories at the Prog Awards: https://awards.progmagazine.com/

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1944 on: June 27, 2014, 07:58:01 PM »
Voted for them on the three options. Their last album is great, their self-titled song is even greater and, well, they're great.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1945 on: June 28, 2014, 04:23:27 AM »
Holy crap those prog awards are a joke.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1946 on: June 28, 2014, 10:23:49 AM »
They actually have two albums on there for Album of the Year that haven't even been released yet (Knifeworld and Yes), and voting has started already.  :facepalm:

And not to mention the complete lack of diversity in each category.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1947 on: June 28, 2014, 10:28:33 AM »
They actually have two albums on there for Album of the Year that haven't even been released yet (Knifeworld and Yes), and voting has started already.  :facepalm:
Really? That's ridiculous :facepalm:

Offline Xenon

« Reply #1948 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:14 AM »
^This

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1949 on: June 28, 2014, 10:50:51 AM »
In their defense, most awards are a joke.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1950 on: July 12, 2014, 05:33:32 PM »
I've listened to DS again today (it's been a few weeks) and holy crap, The Lost Song pt.1 and pt.2 are more awesome than I remember. It must happen a miracle to dethrone it as my AOTY.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1951 on: July 13, 2014, 04:11:20 PM »
Gonna see them live for the fourth time next weekend at the Night of the Prog festival :D I hope they play some great stuff from DS!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1952 on: July 13, 2014, 05:48:11 PM »
Gonna see them live for the fourth time next weekend at the Night of the Prog festival :D I hope they play some great stuff from DS!

lucky! I've seen them once and for that I feel incredibly blessed, but I most certainly do hope for more in the future! They just need to make it over the pond again and I'll make the trip(s)

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1953 on: July 16, 2014, 06:27:17 PM »
Lee Douglas' vibrato is kind of annoying, but I wouldn't mind a solo album from her. Great voice.

As a singer (well, shower singer) myself, when I first got into Ananthema, I felt the same way about her vibrato.  But then it really grew on me and now I love it for its uniqueness and the way it pairs with Vincent and Daniel's voice.  She comes across as almost timid at times.  I don't know if it is not to overshadow or because she's trying to blend, but it would be great to see what she could come up with as a solo offering from her. 
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline master

« Reply #1954 on: July 23, 2014, 01:03:20 PM »
I forgot the actual emoticon code, so I have to improvise

:facepalm:+ :lol

Seriously though, what did you hope to accomplish with that post?

everyone has a right to their opinion, its a forum, nobody is out to accomplish anything other than voicing their opinon, whether its up your a** and you don't like that up to you but its obvious it is, so unless of you feel your own words are those of wisdom you should refrain from sark lark.

oh look, i've i low post count, you're an elitist prick?

btw and not one to gloat but here we go... i saw this band in... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 98 and 2002, i think i know what i'm talking about and i'm right, in fact i'm bang on the money. you wouldn't hear that of course cos you're not actually 'listening'.

and no, we don't want doom/death here or sleepless revisits, you just don't get it.

Offline master

« Reply #1955 on: July 23, 2014, 01:08:22 PM »
and i still think, the title track Distant Satellites, while not a bad song (for someone else it would suit), its not a good move for Anathema.

not to sound homophobic or anything for which i ain't but he sounds transgender, the track just moves very r'nb not at all rock, or even clever 'prog' rock.

time will tell. a very strange song.

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #1956 on: July 23, 2014, 01:44:09 PM »
You know, I occasionally only browse and lurk in this thread, hoping to jump in and contribute whenever I finally do end up checkout out Anathema but man....

:lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1957 on: July 23, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
 :lol

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1958 on: July 23, 2014, 03:48:27 PM »
its a forum, nobody is out to accomplish anything other than voicing their opinon

Not true. I'm out to find new music.

I wasn't going for the :lolpalm: because I don't agree with your opinion. And definitely not because you were voicing that opinion. It was just how you did it. For example:

btw and not one to gloat but here we go... i saw this band in... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 97, 98 and 2002, i think i know what i'm talking about and i'm right, in fact i'm bang on the money. you wouldn't hear that of course cos you're not actually 'listening'.

Cool that you saw them 8 times, that's really exciting. But are you expecting a serious response from that? What could I possibly say?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1959 on: July 23, 2014, 04:02:48 PM »
Master of Comedy