Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271606 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Anathema
« Reply #1820 on: June 09, 2014, 07:02:33 AM »
Interesting idea to open with Firelight and the Distant Satellites. I think that could be cool as well. :) I do hope that the setlist isn't just new stuff, and then WS and WHBWH material though. It seems likely that there won't be many older songs, but it would be nice with a few surprises. I forgot about Flying, and I think that's a song they very well could play, because it is like a "hit"-song. One Last Goodbye and Fragile Dreams feel almost like sure bets, but it would be nice with something surprising, like how they played Emotional Winter on the last tour. So that was mainly my reasoning for naming A Fine Day to Exit. It's always cool with a surprise song from the back catalog. :)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1821 on: June 09, 2014, 07:16:47 AM »
The song "Anathema" is incredible.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1822 on: June 09, 2014, 07:47:21 AM »
Interesting idea to open with Firelight and the Distant Satellites. I think that could be cool as well. :) I do hope that the setlist isn't just new stuff, and then WS and WHBWH material though. It seems likely that there won't be many older songs, but it would be nice with a few surprises. I forgot about Flying, and I think that's a song they very well could play, because it is like a "hit"-song. One Last Goodbye and Fragile Dreams feel almost like sure bets, but it would be nice with something surprising, like how they played Emotional Winter on the last tour. So that was mainly my reasoning for naming A Fine Day to Exit. It's always cool with a surprise song from the back catalog. :)

Yeah, even though Distant Satellites strikes me as a song more likely to be played later in a setlist, I thought Firelight would make a really strong impact as the band makes their entrance. I guess it could serve the same purpose as they move into the encore, but I imagine it would be spectacular either way. I definitely think Fragile Dreams is a sure bet. One Last Goodbye almost certainly is, too. I was somewhat shocked that they didn't play it last year when I saw them co headlining with Alcest. Hopefully next time. I'm assuming they'll be touring North America again this upcoming year. I don't remember (maybe someone can remind me), but I think Vincent mentioned that that was being planned for the first half of 2015.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1823 on: June 09, 2014, 08:03:28 AM »
I wonder what the chances are that we would get anything pre-Alternative 4. There are a bunch of songs from Eternity that they could play, you have the title-track(s), Angelica and something like Far Away (a personal favorite). Wasn't it also Vinny or Danny recently who wouldn't rule out them doing something from The Silent Enigma/the old days but with the Falling Deeper "approach"? Given, in a setlist that is already pretty crammed, the odds of them playing something older than Alternative 4 stuff feels very small, but the band has surprised us in the past with some song choices.

While Fragile Dreams is as close to a "hit song" that the band has, personally I don't think it's necessary for them to play it. Considering the amount of good songs they have by now, they could close off the night with something like Untouchable or Thin Air and have those "take the place" of Fragile Dreams. I still think they will play it, but personally I would be more disappointed if they left off One Last Goodbye instead of Fragile Dreams.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1824 on: June 09, 2014, 08:55:17 AM »
Agreed. One Last Goodbye>>>Fragile Dreams in my book

And yes, I think Vinny did mention that in a recent interview. I think the most likely to be played song, pre-Alternative 4, would be Angelica. I don't know what else... It would be interesting to hear a song reworked from Silent Enigma, maybe Shroud of Frost, but that's more wishful thinking than anything else.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1825 on: June 09, 2014, 09:36:40 AM »
Ok, two full listens of the album now.

Overall, I think it's gorgeous. I do sort of agree with some of the comments here about the pacing/track-order being a little off.

For me, the first 6 tracks are just wonderful - lots of power and emotion. I imagine some people might find them samey or too much an extension of WS (although I'd say they're quite different - much less acoustic guitar), but still beautiful. Ariel in particular is stunningly emotive, and Anathema is fantastic as well - those are probably my two favourites at the moment.

You're Not Alone is fine in and of itself, but I don't think it really fits on the album at all, and feels really out of place.

And then the last 3 tracks are all very mellow - very very nice, but quite a shift in mood. I dig the introduction of the electronic elements and think it's cool that they've added in some new ideas, but the fact that the last 15 minutes of the album is all pretty quiet (especially vocally) with no real crescendos or climaxes just makes the album feel like it fizzles out slightly.

I think if they'd moved either Take Shelter or Firelight/DS earlier in the album - say just before Ariel - I think the pacing of the album would have worked so much better. And they probably could have scrapped You're Not Alone, or saved it for another release where it might fit better.

Still, the music itself is great, and I absolutely adore some of the songs already.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1826 on: June 09, 2014, 09:42:03 AM »
I saw someone say that Take Shelter is one of their weakest closers and that's actually an interesting notion. I do like the song myself, but if you look at previous closers, you got: Internal Landscapes, Hindsight, Violence, Temporary Peace and 2000 & Gone on previous albums. I think the title track could have been the closing track tbh. It's both epic, has that grandiose feeling and would have been a satisfying ending to the album. Take Shelter is still great though, so it's just a minor thing really.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1827 on: June 09, 2014, 09:46:44 AM »
I can't see them dropping Fragile Dreams, and to be honest I hope they won't, because I haven't seen them live yet and I love that song. I bet A Natural Disaster, Closer, Thin Air, Dreaming Light and the Untouchables will stay as well.
One Last Goodbye and Fragile Dreams feel almost like sure bets, but it would be nice with something surprising, like how they played Emotional Winter on the last tour. So that was mainly my reasoning for naming A Fine Day to Exit. It's always cool with a surprise song from the back catalog. :)
Maybe Don't Look Too Far? That song hasn't been played since 2000 and it could represent Judgement on this tour. Sadly I think AFDTE (album) will be ignored :-\

As for the pre-A4 stuff, I doubt there'll be anything from Eternity, but I could see them busting out Kingdom and/or Sunset of Age in the "mash-up" form (original + Falling Deeper) Vincent talked about.

Offline krands85

« Reply #1828 on: June 09, 2014, 12:32:31 PM »
Glad to say I'm enjoying the album more and more with each listen - aside from 'Anathema' I was pretty underwhelmed after my first spin. I also agree with the pacing/track order comments though - the album sort of peters out for me after the brilliance of Anathema. I'm not really into the electronic feel of the final 2 tracks sadly, but that seems to be the direction they're moving in now, so I'm more pleased with the album than I thought I might be. The last 3 albums for me at the moment go: WHBWH>>>WS>>DS

Anyone know the score with British tour dates? They still don't seem to have announced anything, hope they make it north of the border.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1829 on: June 09, 2014, 01:22:55 PM »
I saw someone say that Take Shelter is one of their weakest closers and that's actually an interesting notion. I do like the song myself, but if you look at previous closers, you got: Internal Landscapes, Hindsight, Violence, Temporary Peace and 2000 & Gone on previous albums. I think the title track could have been the closing track tbh. It's both epic, has that grandiose feeling and would have been a satisfying ending to the album. Take Shelter is still great though, so it's just a minor thing really.
I dunno, I don't find the title track very grand either, by their standards. It's quite mellow and calm really.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #1830 on: June 10, 2014, 08:04:00 AM »
I could see them playing the album in full at least for one part of the tour.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1831 on: June 10, 2014, 08:19:56 AM »
I could see them playing the album in full at least for one part of the tour.

I think there is a possibility they could play all the songs from the album, but does it necessarily have to be in one sequence? It feels like the chances are higher that they play all 10 songs, but spread out in the setlist, rather than the entire album as one big chunk, but that's only my guess. I don't mean this in a bad way, but I don't think Anathema has any albums that NEEDS to be played as one sequence. It's not like a concept album where you want the full effect of it, with all songs flowing into each other, with Anathema it's more an overall atmosphere on the album, with songs that doesn't necessarily HAVE to be played together.

They didn't do it for WS or WHBWH, so I don't think they will play all 10 in a row. But all 10 spread out in the setlist, I think that could happen. If I were to bet money on it, I would guess 7-8 songs from the new album or something like that. You're Not Alone or Firelight seems like the two I doubt whether they will play or not, but I'm not ruling any of them out. Especially if they use Firelight as a "intro" of some sort, they could squeeze that song into the concert without "playing" it.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #1832 on: June 10, 2014, 12:12:21 PM »
I think there is a possibility they could play all the songs from the album, but does it necessarily have to be in one sequence? It feels like the chances are higher that they play all 10 songs, but spread out in the setlist, rather than the entire album as one big chunk, but that's only my guess. I don't mean this in a bad way, but I don't think Anathema has any albums that NEEDS to be played as one sequence. It's not like a concept album where you want the full effect of it, with all songs flowing into each other, with Anathema it's more an overall atmosphere on the album, with songs that doesn't necessarily HAVE to be played together.

They didn't do it for WS or WHBWH, so I don't think they will play all 10 in a row. But all 10 spread out in the setlist, I think that could happen. If I were to bet money on it, I would guess 7-8 songs from the new album or something like that. You're Not Alone or Firelight seems like the two I doubt whether they will play or not, but I'm not ruling any of them out. Especially if they use Firelight as a "intro" of some sort, they could squeeze that song into the concert without "playing" it.
I could have sworn they played WHBWH in full multiple times

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1833 on: June 10, 2014, 12:21:55 PM »
Daniel Cardoso recording Ariel on drums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2iRAQhmZndI

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1834 on: June 10, 2014, 01:11:13 PM »
I think I like his drumming better than John Douglas' drumming already.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #1835 on: June 10, 2014, 01:13:47 PM »
I think I like his drumming better than John Douglas' drumming already.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1836 on: June 10, 2014, 04:34:29 PM »
The song 'Anathema' shows the band getting the most out of their current sound. The song 'Distant Satellites' opens up a possible new path to delve into. That's a freakin' EDM track and it's absolutely amazing.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1837 on: June 10, 2014, 05:39:44 PM »
That's a freakin' EDM track and it's absolutely amazing.
I don't know you, but I don't feel like dancing that song.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1838 on: June 10, 2014, 07:15:52 PM »
After a few listens I personally find the album underwhelming.

I love Ariel and really like The Lost song Part 2, Firelight and also the title track. Besides that, the album really doesn't do that much for me. And God, I can't stand You're not alone. I find it very annoying and have already deleted it from Itunes.

You're Not Alone

Me and my Fiancé would listen to Weather Systems for hours on end, and 9 times out of 10 it would lead to intimacy. We listened to Distant Satellites and she was like "what happened" and I agree with her. The electronica just does not suit them and detracts from what they are really good at.

Regardless of all of that, I still love Anathema and consider WS to be one of my top 10 albums ever made. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1839 on: June 10, 2014, 07:28:28 PM »
I can't stand You're not alone. I find it very annoying and have already deleted it from Itunes.

You're Not Alone

Me and my Fiancé would listen to Weather Systems for hours on end, and 9 times out of 10 it would lead to intimacy. We listened to Distant Satellites and she was like "what happened" and I agree with her. The electronica just does not suit them and detracts from what they are really good at. 

I couldn't possibly disagree more than I do now. :smiley: I do try to welcome different opinions though and I'm sorry that you aren't enjoying it that much. What do you think they are really good at and why do you think the electronica influences detract from that?
« Last Edit: June 11, 2014, 04:35:54 AM by senecadawg2 »

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1840 on: June 10, 2014, 07:39:39 PM »
After a couple listens I find it to be a bit underwhelming as well. Not bad by any means, but not anywhere near as good as WS, and probably a tad bit worse than WHBWH.

The electronic final third is interesting, but the album before that just sounds like more of the same sound from the last two albums, only less inspired. WHBWH established the sound, WS perfected it, and while this album's a bit more dark/empty sounding, I don't think it differentiates itself enough. That, and the composition of the songs just feels weaker, for whatever reason.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1841 on: June 11, 2014, 02:28:37 AM »
I feel like DS is a step in the right direction lyric-wise. I haven't analyzed the lyrics yet, but they feel less "IN YO FACE" than they have on the last few releases, and I think that's good. It's hard for me to listen to songs like Lightning Song or Everything without cringing/rolling my eyes over the lyrics, and on DS it still felt emotional but more honest. Not as much "Life is beautiful and every day is a gift" that we've heard before.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1842 on: June 11, 2014, 02:36:36 AM »
I really don't see what the problem is with those sorts of lyrics - in fact, that's one of things I love about Anathema and their recent output in particular. Almost every other rock band writes about depressing stuff, it's so rare to have a band write music that is emotional but positive. I love that unique quality.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1843 on: June 11, 2014, 02:44:19 AM »
It's not that they are positive but they just feel very blatant and clumsy. If you compare those songs to their more negative/depressing songs, you don't have the band singing "Life is misery and every day is a torture". They have some positive songs that really works, but when they hit you in the head with the message it becomes kinda cringeworthy. That's just how I see it anyways, and it's not just restricted to Anathema. You want your lyrics to be honest and emotional, but still having that "open to interpretation" part. They have a few songs like Lightning Song and Everything where it just becomes too much for me, personally.

I prefer the lyrics that evoke those feelings in me, rather than having the lyrics spell out exactly what it is. You don't need to say "life is beautiful" in order to paint the picture in a song. :)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1844 on: June 11, 2014, 04:06:47 AM »
After a couple listens I find it to be a bit underwhelming as well. Not bad by any means, but not anywhere near as good as WS, and probably a tad bit worse than WHBWH.

The electronic final third is interesting, but the album before that just sounds like more of the same sound from the last two albums, only less inspired. WHBWH established the sound, WS perfected it, and while this album's a bit more dark/empty sounding, I don't think it differentiates itself enough. That, and the composition of the songs just feels weaker, for whatever reason.

I kind of agree with everything you said here, except that I find the last three albums have become progressively weaker. WHBWH was absolutely fantastic and blew my mind, WS was more of the same and in a way less interesting and DS just bored the hell out of me the first time I heard it (that was yesterday). It felt like the band is just reusing old ideas and DS just doesn't feel 'new' or 'fresh', but more like a rehash of the bad songs from WHBWH that didn't make the cut, in the same way that WS felt like a copy of WHBWH, but less good. Well, that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree, maybe it'll become better when I listen to it some more, but for now, I'm unimpressed.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1845 on: June 11, 2014, 04:13:59 AM »
I think their "formula" have been the same for these three albums, and I can see why that would bother people. It bothered me that WS was just a slightly weaker WHBWH, but essentially "more of the same". However, with DS I feel like there was enough new stuff in there to separate it slightly from those two albums. The formula is still pretty much the same, but this didn't feel like another super-bright album, and that was nice.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1846 on: June 11, 2014, 04:44:14 AM »
Exactly. I see DS as taking what has worked well and trying to put a new spin on it. And I think they succeeded in that. It has a slightly more empty feel to it than WS, less acoustic guitar, some electronica influence, and a darker tone overall.

As for Weather Systems being a recycled WHBWH, which seems to be a very common complaint, I've always felt that WS did an excellent job of refining and focusing in on what made WHBWH so great. In other words, it seems like most people see WS as a redo of WHBWH, and I've always felt that it was more of a progression.

Right now I'm thinking

WS
WHBWH
DS

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1847 on: June 11, 2014, 04:49:39 AM »
I would rank them: WHBWH > DS >> WS

But I think the electronic elements of the album are very interesting. I think some of you will agree that the main highlight with Anathema have been their vocal melodies, and the atmosphere of their songs. Some really powerful vocal melodies and haunting choruses on the last few albums, and the thing they got going with Danny/Vinny/Lee on vocals is such a great mix and gives their vocals a diversity that not a lot of other bands have. With that said, the "rock" part of their sound has just been a framework to hang all that other stuff on. I could totally see Anathema transition into something different, a sound more like on the title-track on DS, with more electronics and it would still feel Anathema and have those strengths that they have. Don't get me wrong, I like the rock-aspect of their music, but I don't think it's the main reason for why I like them. They can continue writing strong vocal melodies and catchy choruses with emotional feels with another approach. (in this case electronic)

If Distant Satellites (the song) is a sign for what's to come, I'll be VERY excited for the next album.  :hefdaddy

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1848 on: June 11, 2014, 05:06:51 AM »
Amen to that.

The electronics open a lot of doors in terms of building atmosphere that they may not ever touch on if they were to stick with a more standard rock approach. I'm hoping for an album that's almost exclusively in the direction of the last four DS tracks.

It's interesting though, that those songs were all written a few years ago. Didn't one of the brothers say that in an interview a little while back?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1849 on: June 11, 2014, 05:11:26 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't "Anathema" written like 15-20 years ago? Or something odd like that. I would imagine the first "draft" was very different from the final version though. I will say that "You're Not Alone" really does sound like a song that was written during A Natural Disaster or something. Like a long lost twin-song to Closer. If you think about it, A Natural Disaster had some electronic ideas on it. It felt like they were gonna go down that road, but after the 7 year hiatus it felt like they almost had to re-establish themselves with some strong albums again, which they did. And now they made another album, teasing to go deeper into electronics. Personally I hope this album gets a good reception (so far it has) and that the band is encouraged to continue down that road.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1850 on: June 11, 2014, 05:56:19 AM »
As for Weather Systems being a recycled WHBWH, which seems to be a very common complaint, I've always felt that WS did an excellent job of refining and focusing in on what made WHBWH so great. In other words, it seems like most people see WS as a redo of WHBWH, and I've always felt that it was more of a progression.
Agreed, and I do personally find those complaints pretty weird. For me WS and WHBWH are very different, other than the general style of positive upbeat rock music.

My ranking would go WS > DS > WHBWH, and those are my top 3 Anathema albums.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1851 on: June 11, 2014, 06:20:04 AM »
Yeah I suspect that DS might end up passing WHBWH for me, given more time. It does get a little trickier once you throw in some of the older albums, though. While I've never thought too much about it, since they're all quite different, I think a ranking of all the albums may look like this...

WS
---
Judgement
WHBWH
---
DS or Alternative 4
Natural Disaster
Silent Enigma
Fine Day to Exit
---
Eternity
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
---
Serenades

Apart from their debut, that's a really really strong discography.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1852 on: June 11, 2014, 06:40:16 AM »
Might be nice to rank them indeed. :) Right now I'm feeling something like this:

We're Here Because We're Here
Judgement
--
Distant Satellites
Alternative 4
A Natural Disaster
Weather Systems
The Silent Enigma
A Fine Day to Exit
Eternity
--
Serenades

Honestly, apart from WHBWH and Judgement being slightly closer to my heart and Serenades being my least favorite, the other are all VERY even for me. I really like them all. Even Eternity and A Fine Day.. which are closer to the bottom, I really do like both of those albums, very much. Serenades is just kinda there. It's hard for me to analyze that album. If you compare something like On the Sunday of Life with the rest of the PT catalog, you can find certain elements that you recognize and appreciate it from that angle. With Serenades, Vinny doesn't sing, the music is VERY different and it just feels like another band. On The Silent Enigma they were still heavy, but Vinny started singing, and it feels like an Anathema album.

Maybe I should revisit Pentecost and Crestfallen. I like the new versions of those songs, but I haven't listened to those releases that much.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: June 11, 2014, 11:19:53 AM »
If I'm not mistaken, wasn't "Anathema" written like 15-20 years ago? Or something odd like that. I would imagine the first "draft" was very different from the final version though. I will say that "You're Not Alone" really does sound like a song that was written during A Natural Disaster or something. Like a long lost twin-song to Closer. If you think about it, A Natural Disaster had some electronic ideas on it. It felt like they were gonna go down that road, but after the 7 year hiatus it felt like they almost had to re-establish themselves with some strong albums again, which they did. And now they made another album, teasing to go deeper into electronics. Personally I hope this album gets a good reception (so far it has) and that the band is encouraged to continue down that road.

indeed, this album has a bunch of old songs that were resurrected, and "Anathema" is one of them.

you're totally right about AND being the genesis of their electronic ideas. i'm surprised no one else brought it up... the opening of the record is basically Kid A with live drumming. then "The Storm Before the Calm" returned to that approach, but for some reason DS is being called their first foray into electronic music. it's the first occurrence of proper programmed beats but otherwise it follows a side they've had for years now.

the end of "You're Not Alone" especially suits the aesthetic of AND. i wonder if its detractors dislike that album as well? (granted, i understand the song has an annoyance factor otherwise not included on AND.)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1854 on: June 11, 2014, 11:47:25 AM »
I see your point with The Storm Before the Calm and I do agree. It feels like they have sorta ramped it up though. They had some of it in ONE song on Weather Systems, they have more of it in 3-4 songs on Distant Satellites, and maybe the next album has even more. Regarding A Natural Disaster and how people view it, I don't know. I've seen several people who got into Anathema after their Kscope-resurrection (WHBWH and forward), who seem to mainly just focus on the new stuff, so like Hindsight, WHBWH, Falling Deeper, WS and now DS. Maybe they have heard some of the older albums, but don't care as much for them.

I know there are some "newer" fans who are into the old stuff as well, and there's old fans who aren't into the new stuff. So their fanbase seems very scattered at the moment. I wasn't a fan when A Natural Disaster came out, so I don't know how it was received at the time. Did the electronics bother people back then?