Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271473 times)

Offline master

Re: Anathema
« Reply #1750 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26:01 AM »
now that i think of it, distant satellites title track does have a soul influence in the vocals, one reviewer mentioned james blake?, though not sounding like him, the air of soul is there so that artist probably came to their mind as its recent.

its like a galloping horse, james blake on its back, riding through a field in england, what an achievement. i'm actually beginning to dislike the track now, especially when it starts to gallop :/ ( cringes)  but still give it thumbs up for been what anathema used to be i.e. challenging. hopefully their next album will be a huge step up, this one is a half step up from their past 2 albums imo.

anathema is a nice track but not mind blowing as others make out, ariel and dusk... go over my head, heard it all before. its typical anathema of the past 2 albums.

Hope (though a cover) and Far Away are great tracks too from Eternity, the production is down granted but still... their old bass player Patterson brought them to where they are today, theres no question about it if you read who wrote what, those tracks and especially Empty gave them confidence to change. (Empty has electronic drum loops in there)  Good to see their drummer writing more, though one of his first, Pressure, was a stinker imo, a poor effort to reach radio and failed, that track just goes nowhere. His other one on AFDTE though is probably one of the best ones on it, again the title track. its just the way it goes, win some, lose some.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1751 on: June 03, 2014, 12:04:39 PM »
Man, Ariel is just gorgeous. I'm glad it wasn't entirely Lee-- the ending makes it all the more powerful.

I'm beginning to think the title track is one of their best songs. The melodies are just outstanding.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1752 on: June 03, 2014, 12:09:32 PM »
Why I like WHBWH and WS? It puts me in a comfortable space and atmosphere I can escape to and just enjoy life for life. The things they say in the songs like Everything are things I also believe. Those two albums are interconnected and the most positive, uplifting albums I ever heard.

I first heard Anathema with Fragile dreams and enjoyed the atmosphere. But then, I enjoy music for music and if it makes me feel a certain way I enjoy it, hence why I can listen to so many songs deemed boring, cheap, cheesy, lame, uninspired.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1753 on: June 03, 2014, 12:30:26 PM »
Why I like WHBWH and WS? It puts me in a comfortable space and atmosphere I can escape to and just enjoy life for life. The things they say in the songs like Everything are things I also believe. Those two albums are interconnected and the most positive, uplifting albums I ever heard.

I first heard Anathema with Fragile dreams and enjoyed the atmosphere. But then, I enjoy music for music and if it makes me feel a certain way I enjoy it, hence why I can listen to so many songs deemed boring, cheap, cheesy, lame, uninspired.

+1000. Couldn't have said it any better.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1754 on: June 03, 2014, 01:00:29 PM »
All this talk about Distant Satellites is intriguing. Makes me want to listen, but I'm gonna wait for my cd to arrive.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1755 on: June 03, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
It's definitely growing.  :tup

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1756 on: June 03, 2014, 01:11:28 PM »
That's exactly it. Anathema are always walking a fine line between emotional and so emotional it's almost silly.
It's an interesting point you bring up. I was a fan of the band since before WHBWH came out, but personally I didn't mind the change from dark to light. I think they have written some of their best songs in "Phase 2" of their career, and they have written some really good emotional songs. Maybe it's harder to write positive songs though? It seems like it's easier to capture the melancholic and depressing emotions, maybe because it's easier to pinpoint what those are. When you're writing a positive song, it can easily come off as "Everything is so positive and exciting and life is wonderful and the best thing in the world", which IMO some of the more recent songs suffer from.

There's something very truthful to a lot of their older stuff, and you can really feel and hear the pain of the lyrics on songs like Forgotten Hopes, One Last Goodbye or Lost Control. (Just to name a few) There are moments like that on the recent stuff which also resonates with me (despite the lyrics being more bright and positive), but there are a few songs where it doesn't feel quite as sincere. Maybe it's just the change in lyrics overall. Old Anathema felt very more personal and very much like their own experiences and lives. There are a few recent songs like that, but overall they seem to have moved onto "bigger" ideas, with the whole "life is eternal" theme of exploring life and death.
I couldn't have put it better :clap:

Danny always says their lyrics are 100% genuine and honest and I believe that, but on the last 2 albums there are a few songs that are emotional almost to the point of cheesiness, although they manage not to cross that line. Duncan has said that around the time they made Alternative 4 he was surrounded by the wrong kind of people and he would drink a bottle of vodka every day, and you can definitely hear all that anger and depression on the album. I don't consider myself a miserable person, but it's lines like "Nothing left but to kill myself again" that have the biggest emotional impact on me.

Offline master

« Reply #1757 on: June 03, 2014, 02:06:57 PM »
Danny always says their lyrics are 100% genuine and honest and I believe that, but on the last 2 albums there are a few songs that are emotional almost to the point of cheesiness

hold on, there they've said it again, i hear the 'hold on' again, hold on, breathe in, release, air, time, we love youuuuuu.

there awfully repetitive in the lyrics stakes now. patterson wrote the best lyrics imo, never to use the same words twice either. it loses impact.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1758 on: June 03, 2014, 02:56:40 PM »
After a couple of listens I'm liking it but I'm not finding it awesome. I must say that both listens happened at the office while I was working and I probably didn't enjoy it as much as I could enjoy it if I was home.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1759 on: June 03, 2014, 03:52:22 PM »
there awfully repetitive in the lyrics stakes now. patterson wrote the best lyrics imo

You're last couple posts have got me thinking that maybe you are Duncan Patterson. I ignored it before, but now I have to ask. How do you figure that Patterson brought Anathema to where they are today, considering that he's been absent from the last half of their career? Sure you can say he was a massively important in writing their older material, but to suggest that he brought them to where they are today seems a little bit ludicrous to me. Today they are writing very different music than what Patterson wrote for them in the early years. He helped bring them to where they were then, and influence where they are now, but in the recent years Danny has been the principle songwriter and done a fantastic job at it (just my opinion, of course). And today it seems that they're exploring more electronica influences; surely Patterson didn't bring them there as well? It's been well documented that both Vincent and John Douglas have been interested in the electronica influences themselves for a long time.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1760 on: June 03, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »
There's a lot of people who prefer those older days of Patterson writing the lyrics though, so I could see where he is coming from. I think both "phases" of the band has ups and downs.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1761 on: June 03, 2014, 05:51:38 PM »
Oh I agree, a lot of those lyrics are fantastic! I was just confused when he said that Patterson brought them to where they are today, given how different they are now.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1762 on: June 03, 2014, 05:59:49 PM »
I don't know if I would credit Patterson alone, but I would say the most important time in the band's career was the transition from Eternity-Alternative 4-Judgement. That's really the time period that formed the Anathema we have today. They started leaving the heavier stuff behind and started finding that atmospheric and emotional core that has been their foundation ever since. While they have shifted from dark to light, albums like A Fine Day to Exit and Judgement are not that different from the newer ones. I think Patterson played an important part in leading the band from the Doom-sound to what they eventually became, but he did not take them for the entire ride. I think he played a major part in changing the band's sound, and once he left, Danny and Vinny basically took more responsibility and continued down the road they started together.

On another note, while I'm not a fan of Serenades, I think that The Silent Enigma is incredibly underrated. I love that album. I would say it's easily on par with albums like Weather Systems, Eternity or even A Fine Day to Exit. It's different, it's heavier and it's not quite the band we know today, but what a fantastic Doom album it is. It's still very melodic, and it's a bit of a personal favorite of mine. I will probably spin it again soon, it's been a while.  :metal

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1763 on: June 03, 2014, 06:26:45 PM »
You've inspired me to give in another listen soon, too. It's been a while for me, as I've never liked it quite as much as the rest (definitely more than Serenades though). I'm not much of a doom fan, and I don't like the vocals all that much, but it's still pretty good. I probably just need to give it another try.

Speaking of underrated, it seems like people never talk about A Fine Day to Exit and I've never really understood why. I'd say it's kind of hit or miss for me, but mainly hit. I really enjoy Pressure, Release and Panic; just about as much as a lot of the tracks on Alternative 4, Natural Disaster, and even a few on WHBWH/WS.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1764 on: June 03, 2014, 07:01:36 PM »
I know the band since Judgement. Favorite album was A Natural Disaster before WHBWH came out.

I saw the band live when they were supporting Porcupine Tree during that time (A Natural Disaster). The show was alright, but they left a huge impression when they closed with 'Flying'.

When WHBWH came out, my attention was redrawn and me and my brother went to see them on that tour. To this day, this is my favorite concert experience ever pretty much.

When I saw them on the WS tour, they made so many mistakes (especially Johm Douglas), it was almost amateuristic my Anathema obsession kind of came to an end there.

But this album is darn good. Faith restored instantly.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1765 on: June 03, 2014, 07:10:28 PM »
They replaced John Douglas with some other man when I saw them, maybe that had something to do with it(?), and sounded superb. Similar to your WHBWH show, mine stands out as probably my favorite concert experience as well. Very emotional night!. I can only imagine what Flying must have been like- that's such an incredible song. The one that I really wish I had gotten is One Last Goodbye, but maybe next time (hoping there is one).

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1766 on: June 03, 2014, 07:43:46 PM »
Yes, Daniel Cordoso who's been keyboarding for them has taken over on drums, and it already shows on this album. I find it admirable that the band put all egos aside when it comes to music. I suspect the electronic half's beats are mostly Daniel's influence.

FYI, Daniel Cardoso was in Head Control System with Garm from Ulver.

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #1767 on: June 03, 2014, 07:50:42 PM »
John Douglas is still in the band though isn't he? The press photo for the album seems to imply that he's still part of the band (along with Jamie Cavanagh, both of whom were absent on both North American Tours).

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1768 on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
John Douglas is still in the band though isn't he? The press photo for the album seems to imply that he's still part of the band (along with Jamie Cavanagh, both of whom were absent on both North American Tours).
Lee Douglas commented on Facebook confirming that all the members in the press photos (including John Douglas and Jamie Cavanagh) will be playing on the tour.

There was a recent interview with either Danny or Vincent which confirmed John Douglas' status in the band -- he'll be focusing on electronic percussion, synths, and songwriting while, as PixelDream pointed out, Daniel Cardoso will be handling drums.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1769 on: June 04, 2014, 12:19:02 AM »
And today it seems that they're exploring more electronica influences; surely Patterson didn't bring them there as well?
The first Anathema song to include electronic loops was Empty and guess who wrote that song? ;)

In fact, one of the reasons Duncan left was that his writing was going in a more electronic/ambient direction, while the other guys wanted to play rock. If you compare Judgement to the first Antimatter album, it's obvious who was more into electronica at the time.
I don't know if I would credit Patterson alone, but I would say the most important time in the band's career was the transition from Eternity-Alternative 4-Judgement. That's really the time period that formed the Anathema we have today. They started leaving the heavier stuff behind and started finding that atmospheric and emotional core that has been their foundation ever since. While they have shifted from dark to light, albums like A Fine Day to Exit and Judgement are not that different from the newer ones. I think Patterson played an important part in leading the band from the Doom-sound to what they eventually became, but he did not take them for the entire ride. I think he played a major part in changing the band's sound, and once he left, Danny and Vinny basically took more responsibility and continued down the road they started together.

On another note, while I'm not a fan of Serenades, I think that The Silent Enigma is incredibly underrated. I love that album. I would say it's easily on par with albums like Weather Systems, Eternity or even A Fine Day to Exit. It's different, it's heavier and it's not quite the band we know today, but what a fantastic Doom album it is. It's still very melodic, and it's a bit of a personal favorite of mine. I will probably spin it again soon, it's been a while.  :metal
:iagree:

Duncan wrote most of Eternity and Alt 4, and those albums were crucial for Anathema's evolution, as he started to bring more mellow elements and keyboards into their music. A lot of the more guitar-driven and rocking songs came from the Cavanaghs: The Beloved, Ascension, Fragile Dreams, Re-Connect...

And yes, The Silent Enigma is awesome :metal

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1770 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:38 AM »
You've inspired me to give in another listen soon, too. It's been a while for me, as I've never liked it quite as much as the rest (definitely more than Serenades though). I'm not much of a doom fan, and I don't like the vocals all that much, but it's still pretty good. I probably just need to give it another try.

Speaking of underrated, it seems like people never talk about A Fine Day to Exit and I've never really understood why. I'd say it's kind of hit or miss for me, but mainly hit. I really enjoy Pressure, Release and Panic; just about as much as a lot of the tracks on Alternative 4, Natural Disaster, and even a few on WHBWH/WS.

I really love A Fine Day to Exit. I've seen some people say it's hit or miss, but for me it's mostly hit. The title-track, Temporary Peace, Underworld and Looking Outside Inside are probably my favorites on it, but the songs you mentioned are also really good.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1771 on: June 04, 2014, 05:25:00 AM »
And today it seems that they're exploring more electronica influences; surely Patterson didn't bring them there as well?
The first Anathema song to include electronic loops was Empty and guess who wrote that song? ;)

Yeah, but when was empty written? And until I see some sort of proof that John Douglas's and Vincent's interests in electronics (which, from what I understand, have been around for a long time) was a direct result of Patterson's, I'm going to remain skeptical on the whole 'brought them to where they are today' thing, particularly when it implies that he played a more prominent role in their development than anyone else. Was he an influence? Absolutely, and a big one at that. He also wrote some great lyrics, and played a big part in the period of transformation that Zantera mentioned, but I still think Anathema would have grown and changed a lot regardless. On the other hand, Anathema wouldn't be where they are today without the Cavanagh brothers.

Offline master

« Reply #1772 on: June 04, 2014, 06:39:11 AM »

In fact, one of the reasons Duncan left was that his writing was going in a more electronic/ambient direction, while the other guys wanted to play rock. If you compare Judgement to the first Antimatter album, it's obvious who was more into electronica at the time.

:iagree:

Duncan wrote most of Eternity and Alt 4, and those albums were crucial for Anathema's evolution, as he started to bring more mellow elements and keyboards into their music. A lot of the more guitar-driven and rocking songs came from the Cavanaghs: The Beloved, Ascension, Fragile Dreams, Re-Connect...

And yes, The Silent Enigma is awesome :metal

exactly. i don't think the other posters realise how much exposure and confidence Eternity and Alt 4 brought to the band and opened doors. Patterson was in the studio for most of Eternity trying to manage everything and is chiefly responsible for directing and inspiring the confidence in Vinny to 'sing'. How do I know this? I'm not Patterson but I've followed this band right from their demo days and read pretty much 90% of what they said in periodicals and know quite a bit of what was going on around then. I once had a huge collection of interviews as far back as 1991. John was not around for Alt4, he was enjoying electronic music more actually, something which Patterson did as well. Most of the band actually became bored/dismayed at how stale the scene became around mid-90s which would explain why they did their own thing and moved further away from funeral doom, its boring. I would say Danny is the more rock/mainstream in the band however.

If Patterson was still in the band, do i think they'd sound like the title track 'Distant Satellites'? No, i don't think they'd sound like any of the last 3 albums but definitely more stripped down, less is more etc, the electronics as well.

I don't like any of Daniel Cardosos own music personally, Head System or whatever its called, sounds like someone with a load of new electronic toys goofing off and not able to control. I'm always wary of multi-instrumentalists, hands in all baskets. The stuff he did for Anneke ex-Gathering was poor, shame with a good vocalist. I guess its who you know, networking, putting oneself forward and asking to contribute, "can i play with you?". I very much doubt you'll ever see him writing for Anathema, he's more a session musician helping out, these guys like to keep things closer to home. He's a decent drummer mind, but we're looking for songs right?

Offline master

« Reply #1773 on: June 04, 2014, 06:46:57 AM »
On the other hand, Anathema wouldn't be where they are today without the Cavanagh brothers.

or Patterson, fact. Credit where credit is due, some just can't accept that and feel the world is now theirs, thinking they just
suddenly appeared with 'clean vocals'.

I've just noticed Lost Control has the highest ranking on the likes of youtube, ain't that interesting?

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1774 on: June 04, 2014, 06:58:21 AM »
iirc it was Duncan who got the band to switch direction from the doom metal style in the first place. Or at least one of the major factors they did so. But he hasn't been a part of the band in a long time now, they're where they are because of their own talent.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1775 on: June 04, 2014, 07:17:35 AM »
On the other hand, Anathema wouldn't be where they are today without the Cavanagh brothers.

or Patterson, fact. Credit where credit is due, some just can't accept that and feel the world is now theirs, thinking they just
suddenly appeared with 'clean vocals'.

I've just noticed Lost Control has the highest ranking on the likes of youtube, ain't that interesting?

I'm not trying to take his credit, I think he was massively important. As for the clean vocals, I've read interviews where Vincent talks about how when he 'realized' that he could actually sing and started to work on it himself. Maybe Patterson influenced that process (in fact, I'm almost sure he did), but more fundamentally I think the credit for clean vocals has to go to Vincent. And yes, I find that last bit both interesting and surprising.

My point was basically what abydos pointed out:
iirc it was Duncan who got the band to switch direction from the doom metal style in the first place. Or at least one of the major factors they did so. But he hasn't been a part of the band in a long time now, they're where they are because of their own talent.

If Patterson had stuck around, I am convinced that they would be a significantly different band than they are now. Just as significant as any musical change they've undergone, imo, is the change towards the 'light' (both literally and metaphorically). Danny had a ton of issues and he eventually got help and became fascinated with transcendental meditation. I think that change, just as much if not more than anything that Patterson could have offered, brought Anathema to where they are today.

They're Here Because They're Here. Patterson isn't.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1776 on: June 04, 2014, 07:22:03 AM »
They're Here Because They're Here. Patterson isn't.

/thread

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1777 on: June 04, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »
Man oh man the bandname track is just perfect. That's one place in the album when the emotion gets real for sure.

Also the second verse with that drum beat and the lyric 'building foundations', that fits so well with the music there.

This song evokes similar feelings to me that I get when I listen to A Simple Mistake and Universal, The Lost Child and to a slightly lesser extent The Beginning And The End.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 10:09:40 AM by PixelDream »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1778 on: June 04, 2014, 12:30:44 PM »

Yeah, but when was empty written? And until I see some sort of proof that John Douglas's and Vincent's interests in electronics (which, from what I understand, have been around for a long time) was a direct result of Patterson's, I'm going to remain skeptical on the whole 'brought them to where they are today' thing, particularly when it implies that he played a more prominent role in their development than anyone else. Was he an influence? Absolutely, and a big one at that. He also wrote some great lyrics, and played a big part in the period of transformation that Zantera mentioned, but I still think Anathema would have grown and changed a lot regardless. On the other hand, Anathema wouldn't be where they are today without the Cavanagh brothers.
I wasn't saying Duncan brought the band to where they are today, which would be silly anyway due to the fact that he's been out of the band for 16 years and Anathema have found a new fanbase with the last couple of albums. I just wanted to point out that the electronic influence isn't an exclusively Vinnie/John thing, and I'm actually sure it would've been really strong on the hypothetical follow-up to A4 if Dunc had stuck around.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1779 on: June 04, 2014, 03:34:08 PM »

I wasn't saying Duncan brought the band to where they are today, which would be silly anyway due to the fact that he's been out of the band for 16 years and Anathema have found a new fanbase with the last couple of albums. I just wanted to point out that the electronic influence isn't an exclusively Vinnie/John thing, and I'm actually sure it would've been really strong on the hypothetical follow-up to A4 if Dunc had stuck around.

Yep, I agree and I know that's not what you were saying. I was just bringing it back to the original (and only) point that I was disagreeing with. It was something that master said...

.. their old bass player Patterson brought them to where they are today, theres no question about it if you read who wrote what...

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1780 on: June 04, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
Patterson was definitely an important member, but aside from the Eternity suite and "Alternative 4," i can't say a lot of songs with his credits do much for me (especially "Feel" and "Destiny," two real clunkers on the end of that album). the Cavanagh brothers have been consistently writing some of the band's best material...

... and i'd wager the real difference came from John Douglas. he walked in for Judgement and wrote some of the best songs on it, and hasn't let down the songwriting brilliance since.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1781 on: June 05, 2014, 04:23:32 AM »
Distant Satellites got a 4 out of 10 in a magazine here, that's pretty surprisingly low. While I haven't heard it, I wonder how much the mentality you have going into the album matters. I know that sometimes for some albums, I go into the album and end up really liking it, but when time passes, I start to realize that the album wasn't actually THAT good, and that I was slightly blinded by the fact that I like the band.

I used to be very biased a few years ago, but I try to go in 100% neutral in albums these days. I completely ignore the artist/band and just judge the album on its own merits, because that's what you should do IMO. With some reviews giving out full scores almost on a weekly basis, it's almost annoying how biased some people seem to be. It's actually more refreshing with reviews giving lower scores, because at least they feel more honest somehow.

I don't have huge expectations for the album personally. As long as it's better than Weather Systems, I'll be happy. I don't see it beating Judgement or We're Here Because We're Here, but that's really no shame, considering how good those two albums are. Still holding out for a good quality leak or the CD release though.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1782 on: June 05, 2014, 04:25:36 AM »
I try to go in 100% neutral in albums these days. I completely ignore the artist/band and just judge the album on its own merits, because that's what you should do IMO.

I don't have huge expectations for the album personally. As long as it's better than Weather Systems, I'll be happy. I don't see it beating Judgement or We're Here Because We're Here, but that's really no shame, considering how good those two albums are.

Er... :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1783 on: June 05, 2014, 04:34:06 AM »
I guess "hopes" would be a better word than "expectations". Sorry for phrasing that badly.  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1784 on: June 05, 2014, 04:37:01 AM »
:lol Fair enough, that's a bit different. I think I know what you were getting at, but ultimately, you still have some sort of expectation going in. I agree that it's really hard to completely not though - that very first listen can often be quite surprising because hard as you try there'll always be some sort of expectation. It normally takes me a few listens to be able to shake that off and really give my neutral opinion on something.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.