Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271479 times)

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Re: Anathema
« Reply #1715 on: May 29, 2014, 11:14:45 PM »
I liked the song a lot. Not masterpiece-level a'la most songs from Weather Systems, but still nice.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1716 on: June 01, 2014, 08:51:33 AM »
Ariel is a gorgeous song!  :heart

You're Not Alone is also fantastic. I'm loving the electronica influence  :D

ETA: Anathema might just be the most emotional song Anathema has ever created   :'(
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 09:04:46 AM by senecadawg2 »
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1717 on: June 01, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »
The floodgates have opened, let the fanboyism begin!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1718 on: June 01, 2014, 09:48:37 AM »
Sometimes I wish there was an ignore option for individual posters in individual threads. I enjoy reading your thoughts on other topics, I really do, but you're always such a buzzkill in here!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1719 on: June 01, 2014, 09:53:02 AM »
I'm glad you're enjoying the album.  ;)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1720 on: June 01, 2014, 10:07:04 AM »
And I hope you enjoy it too!

I guess my issue is that fanboyism implies excessive adulation and verging-on-psychotic admiration, typically paired with unrealistic expectations. While I certainly seem to have unrealistic expectations sometimes, that's because they haven't put out anything that's disappointed me yet- and so far it doesn't appear that this one will either. I guess I'm just going to learn my lesson the hard way, eventually, when they do disappoint. As for excessive adulation, I'd say there's nothing too excessive about it. I legitimately love this music, and that's really exciting for me. However, I do also recognize that these guys are only human- just like me. They're normal guys who happen to be really good at their jobs, and I don't revere them as people for that (not consistent with my understanding of fanboyism). I do, however, put this music on a pedestal above nearly all other music. And I do so quite frequently and, admittedly, overzealously.  :smiley:

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1721 on: June 01, 2014, 10:29:20 AM »
And I hope you enjoy it too!

I guess my issue is that fanboyism implies excessive adulation and verging-on-psychotic admiration, typically paired with unrealistic expectations. While I certainly seem to have unrealistic expectations sometimes, that's because they haven't put out anything that's disappointed me yet- and so far it doesn't appear that this one will either. I guess I'm just going to learn my lesson the hard way, eventually, when they do disappoint. As for excessive adulation, I'd say there's nothing too excessive about it. I legitimately love this music, and that's really exciting for me. However, I do also recognize that these guys are only human- just like me. They're normal guys who happen to be really good at their jobs, and I don't revere them as people for that (not consistent with my understanding of fanboyism). I do, however, put this music on a pedestal above nearly all other music. And I do so quite frequently and, admittedly, overzealously.  :smiley:
Pfft, you've just described 90% of the posters in 90% of the music threads here. ;)

I'l admit to being a bit hyper-critical of the sometimes overzealous optimism of some threads, but honestly, the Anathema thread is pretty tame comparatively. It's no Haken or Devin Townsend thread that's for sure.

Only 9 days until this is released. Hopefully my preorder will ship soon!

Offline adace

« Reply #1722 on: June 01, 2014, 12:22:41 PM »
I got my promo copy a few days ago and I have to say that Ariel is my favorite track on the album. Everything about it is just perfect. :heart

I really like Anathema and the title track as well.

I think the album could have done without You're Not Alone though. The guitar work is pretty cool on that track but it just doesn't seem like it fits (plus it's a bit too repetitive).

Overall, it's a great album if a bit weaker than the previous two.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #1723 on: June 01, 2014, 01:34:59 PM »
Just got a promo sent to my inbox this morning. and I'm not even done with the first song and I already have heavy eyes.

Damn you Anathema, you did it again!
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1724 on: June 01, 2014, 03:05:39 PM »
I'm listening to it. The first song is really amazing, haven't heard all the album but and I'm really liking this. The Lost song pt1, Anathema and Distant Satellites are  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 03:40:16 PM by Sacul »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #1725 on: June 01, 2014, 03:14:16 PM »
After the song Anathema, expect a gigantic left turn style wise.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1726 on: June 01, 2014, 03:57:49 PM »
So here are my (mostly positive) thoughts after several listens.

The first four tracks are incredible, even if they remind me of WS/WHBWH but a bit darker. I was hoping that they'd move away from that sound, as much as I love those albums, but the songs are so good that I don't really care. Ariel is a beautiful song and is probably my favorite at the moment.

The Lost Song, Part 3 is kind of a dip in quality. I listened to it a lot since it leaked (and grew to love it) so I may have gotten burned out by it, but in the context of the album it doesn't do much for me and sounds like an outtake/b-side. The next track, Anathema, is really good though and the solo is amazing. I don't think it's their best song like some fans and band members have claimed, but it's great nonetheless.

You're Not Alone is easily my least favorite. The electronica aspects are interesting and I'm happy to see them trying new things, but I don't really care for this song. The repetitive vocals are annoying it doesn't fit in with the rest of the album.

Firelight a pleasant transition. Sounds out of place coming after You're Not Alone, but I like how it flows into Distant Satellites, which is a fantastic song where the electronics work perfectly. One of my favorites so far.

Take Shelter is a great song which uses the electronics well, but it just doesn't strike me as a good closing track. I'm thinking that Anathema may have been a better choice as a closer. Regardless, it's a fantastic song and the melodies/Vincent's vocals in the beginning are wonderful.

Even though I like almost all of the songs, the flow (especially on the second half) and balance of the album seems off -- all the electronic songs are towards the end of the album and Lee Douglas is very prominent on the first half of the album but not on the second half. While my first impression was mostly positive, the album doesn't feel anywhere near as cohesive as the last two. It almost sounds like they started writing an album in the vein of WS and WHBWH and decided, halfway through, to change the band's musical direction. Maybe incorporating the electronica influence throughout the album instead of putting those songs on the end would have made the album feel more cohesive. But despite all this, I'm very happy with this album. :)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1727 on: June 01, 2014, 10:44:58 PM »
This album is fantastic. Everything, as usual, is gorgeous, but the overall darker feeling is just incredible.

Lovely, just lovely.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1728 on: June 02, 2014, 06:23:10 AM »
After a day of listening to nothing else, I have a few thoughts...

The first couple tracks have not blown me away yet. I enjoy them a lot, but I think there's still a lot of space for them to grow. In other words- not immediately astounding to me the way Thin Air and Untouchable were, but I'm still very optimistic about their potential.

Dusk (Darkness is Descending) is an interesting one, as I'm not super excited by the first half but love the second half. In fact, those last couple minutes are possibly my favorite from the entire album. It's interesting, too, that the song has its initial build up then comes back down again at the half point mark, only to build yet again. I know Anathema has been criticized for using somewhat repetitive and formulaic song structures on the past couple albums, and I think this was kind of a nice break from that with it's quieter middle section. Still, I'm hoping to start enjoying the first half more as well.

Ariel was an early favorite, and it still is. I like how Lee, Vincent, and Danny all offer vocals, but all in very distinct parts. This is especially true on the outro, when Danny comes in to sing the final lines. Really beautiful song.

Lost Song Part 3 is as good as it has ever been, and that's pretty darn good. Still, I'm not sure why they decided to split it up the way they did, rather than using it as the third track. It's also a little bit of a let down, I think, coming directly after Ariel, but that's what you get for putting one of the strongest tracks in the front half of the album.

Anathema is another beauty, and it definitely seems like one of the more emotional songs on the album. Listening to the lyrics, it makes sense that the song should be self titled. I like everything about this song a lot, and I look forward to many more listens.

The transition from Anathema to You're Not Alone is actually quite smooth, yet at the same time this one feels a little out of place. Still, I do enjoy the quirkiness of this song, and I love that Anathema is trying new things. My main complaint with this song is that it has a very abrupt end, and then all of the sudden leaves the listener in the midst of the most peaceful song on the album: Firelight. This is the real Storm Before the Calm, and it's a rather abrupt switch. It would be interesting to hear how this might sound if You're Not Alone had more of a fade out. Firelight, on it's own, is really great. Simple, smooth, very atmospheric, and incredibly relaxing. I listened to this one during the sunrise this morning, and it really had an effect on me. Also- perfect introduction to what I currently think is the best song on the album.

And that would be Distant Satellites. Of all the songs with an electronica influence, it is this one which uses those tools the most effectively imo. I also think it has the best vocals on the album. While I enjoyed the acoustic version of this song, this one really blows me away. I am not speaking in hyperbole when I say that this one very nearly brings me to tears. I also imagine that it could be a really special live song, if executed well.

Take Shelter is another really nice one, and a strong closer I think. With that being said, it doesn't strike me as the perfect closing track (as ColdFireYYZ mentioned). There is a feeling of finality that permeates the song, which I think makes for a good ending, but it doesn't quite deliver the climax I would have hoped for. I doubt I will ever love another closing track (or Anathema song, for that matter) as much as I love Internal Landscapes, but that's the comparison I can't get out of my mind. Take Shelter is no Internal Landscapes, but that's hardly its fault. It's still a really nice song, and I'm sure it will grow on me more as time passes.

On the whole, I think this is a really strong album, and I think it's only going to get stronger. I legitimately enjoy all of the individual tracks, and the same honestly can't be said for all Anathema albums. In that sense, I think this one might be a more consistent release in terms of quality. The same can be said for its production, I think. I suppose relative to the last two albums, one could call this one dark, but on its own it still feels very positive. I appreciate that.

Perhaps my biggest complaint is the overall flow of the album, which (once again) CFYYZ metioned. One thing about WS that makes it one of my favorite albums of all time is that it has really well placed climaxes. The climax of The Storm Before the Calm does an awesome job of tying up the first half of the album, and then it builds again with The Beginning and The End and Lost Child, before finishing with the most powerful track. Here it feels a little more disjointed. Lost Song Part 3 kind of wrecks the momentum of the first four tracks, and the ending of You're Not Alone sticks out like a sore thumb. Finally, I think it may enjoy it more if it ended with the combo of Firelight/Distant Satellites, rather than Take Shelter.

Obviously, all of that could very easily (and probably will) change as I listen to the album more and more. These are my first impressions alone, and should be taken with a handful of salt. These are all very minor, and transient (like time), complaints. 

1.75 thumbs up  :tup...  :justjen  :yeahright  :tup

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1729 on: June 02, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
How do I get the promo material?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1730 on: June 02, 2014, 09:20:24 AM »
I would assume some of the posters got the shitty leak. Personally I'll wait for a proper quality version before I listen to the album.

Offline master

« Reply #1731 on: June 02, 2014, 11:48:39 AM »
I would say the artwork is a poor man's A Natural Disaster.

that artwork is not great, at first ok but look closer and you see a small speedboat and the water around is same from the original sky colour but the sky is red, technically incorrect, they should have coloured the water red there as well, also the same person did AFDTE, and if you look at that, its a left hand drive car for a british band, because the artist did it in America. Fine and dandy but Pink Floyd etc would make sure that was right hand drive, so again you could say - technically incorrect. They're a very very british sounding band Anathema so would naturally want that to come across in their imagery as well I imagine.

On to this new album, hit n miss for me, i would say the track title Distant Satellites is the best attempt, it doesn't sound like them at all, very alien even
the vocals the way he sings it. He reminds me of someone here, I can't put my finger on it, something 80s or early 90s British, Simply Red, Seal or hmm
I just can't pin it yet. Quite commercial sounding but the electronic basement kick drum pulls it back a bit. That kick drum I would say is the right choice in sound, i was
expecting them to go full on digital and be careless with it. Its a very analogue electronic kick, deep and distant, if i was to pin point it i would have to say Aphex Twins earlier Selected Ambient Works 1 and 2, so good choice there. The surrounding beats on that track are more digital in sound, something theyve taken from a Nord Drum 2 i believe, Porcupine Tree's drummer plays around with it too, good kit for live drummers and they've tried to combine that especially on Take Shelter, a good effort but that track is too short, was expecting it to go on for longer and build even more.

So yea, the title track Alternative 4 from said album was out there, this title track is in the same field, pushing boundaries and changing tune, good on them for trying, I feel they should have been more brave and explored more of it on the first half of the album, perhaps on their next one when they've had more experience but be careful not to end up sounding like Moby, nothing wrong there either just that well... we've heard it before.

I agree, You're Not Alone is not that great but better than repeating WS piano, orchestrated, female vocals, love and spirituality again. Whats not great about it for me is its too close to Radiohead, i would say STOP and go a different direction, i'd have expected more here.

Not a 10 out of 10 album, in fact i'd say out of this and their last 2 albums, there is one 10/10 album. They might have took too short a time off to go into this and need longer to write. A good break should fix that.

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #1732 on: June 02, 2014, 11:53:16 AM »
I actually got the real version. Having a radio show does help. haha

I do have a theory on the new album that the track order is on purpose.

The first half is showcasing what they have been doing since WHBWH, then the song Anathema happens, then the rest of the album showcases where the band will continue on in the future.

This is also my theory I came up with at 3am, half awake after repeated listens, so this could very well be flawed.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1733 on: June 02, 2014, 12:01:47 PM »
I would say the artwork is a poor man's A Natural Disaster.

Yes.

And at this point that's all I can really comment on until next Monday. Looking forward to listening to it though.

Offline master

« Reply #1734 on: June 02, 2014, 12:10:12 PM »
I actually got the real version. Having a radio show does help. haha

I do have a theory on the new album that the track order is on purpose.

The first half is showcasing what they have been doing since WHBWH, then the song Anathema happens, then the rest of the album showcases where the band will continue on in the future.

This is also my theory I came up with at 3am, half awake after repeated listens, so this could very well be flawed.

yea its certainly split down the middle like that.

i'd take a lot of reviewers words on this electronic element with a minor pinch of uneducated salt. James Blake? Dubstep? :

" Distant Satellites’ comes over all sub-dubstep in its electro pulses and the chilled down pace is reminiscent of James Blake’s "

eh No, this is not dub step, electronic drum beats does not simply = dub step. probably written by a young metal/indie fan who has never listend to 80/90s techno and
their idea of it is Tiesto or something.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1735 on: June 02, 2014, 05:19:20 PM »
Distant Satellistes' chorus reminds me to a Miranda song :lol.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1736 on: June 02, 2014, 06:50:07 PM »
First two tracks were way too cheesy and Untouchables all over again. The rest, so far (I'm on the title track now) is very good. 'Anathema' was pretty much indeed what sums them up in the best way possible. And I even loved the sweet 'Ariel', while on WS I can't stand 'Lightning Song'.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 06:58:28 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1737 on: June 02, 2014, 07:32:17 PM »
while on WS I can't stand 'Lightning Song'.

:huh: I'm curious to know what you dislike about it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1738 on: June 02, 2014, 07:42:43 PM »
while on WS I can't stand 'Lightning Song'.

:huh: I'm curious to know what you dislike about it.

Me too, since Lightning song is my 2nd favorite song on the album right behind eternal landscapes

And really the first time I heard Lightning Song it was like  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 08:11:14 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1739 on: June 02, 2014, 07:43:51 PM »
Lightning Song is fantastic.

This album is very good, I'm on the 3rd listen now. Very different feel than the previous 2 albums, which I like. The last two tracks are probably my favorite. I'm impressed.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1740 on: June 02, 2014, 07:50:16 PM »
Yeah, Lightning Song is my favorite song from Weather Systems.

On the fourth or so listen, loving this album so much, everything is just beautiful and the melodies are fantastic again. The title track's melody is incredible and I was singing along immediately.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1741 on: June 03, 2014, 04:57:16 AM »
I'll elaborate on that (LS) when I have a moment. Exams.. Btw listened to the album and I think it's amazing. The Lost Song clicked too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1742 on: June 03, 2014, 05:09:38 AM »
I could actually see why someone wouldn't like Lightning Song that much. I think Anathema has a few songs that cross the line of being beautiful to becoming cheesy instead. As for Lightning Song, I would say it's a decent tune but not one of my favorite Lee-songs. Dreaming Light is another song that comes to mind, that I know a lot of people just LOVE, and for me it's just good. Neither that one or Lightning Song would be in my top30 Anathema songs tbh.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1743 on: June 03, 2014, 05:49:00 AM »
That's exactly it. Anathema are always walking a fine line between emotional and so emotional it's almost silly.

That's just my opinion ofcourse. But I have to say: the track 'Anathema' is so excessively over-the-top that it's impossible bot to feel anything. Thet couldn't have chosen a better track to name after themselves. On the other side of the spectrum, I really dig the electronic title track.

This album is already way more interesting to me than WS. The only Songs I still play from that one are the last two tracks.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1744 on: June 03, 2014, 06:12:00 AM »
I figured as much, per Lightning Song, and I can understand why some do find it cheesy, excessively emotional, etc. Maybe I'm just drawn to it (Dreaming Light, and other similar tracks too) because I too am cheesy and excessively emotional  :D

As for DS, a few listens later, I'm struck by just how catchy some of the vocal melodies are. I've gotten at least half of the songs stuck very firmly in my head at one point or another, and that's only after having the album for about 48 hours! I'm still waiting for Lost Song I, III, and You're Not Alone to click the way the rest have. I still enjoy them, quite a bit, and there hasn't ever been a point at which I've wanted to skip them, but they're still not quite on the same level as the rest. Maybe they never will completely click, as was the case with Sunlight on the last album, but I'm still hopeful. Especially so when I get the better quality, official, release.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 06:19:01 AM by senecadawg2 »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1745 on: June 03, 2014, 06:17:02 AM »
That's exactly it. Anathema are always walking a fine line between emotional and so emotional it's almost silly.

That's just my opinion ofcourse. But I have to say: the track 'Anathema' is so excessively over-the-top that it's impossible bot to feel anything. Thet couldn't have chosen a better track to name after themselves. On the other side of the spectrum, I really dig the electronic title track.

This album is already way more interesting to me than WS. The only Songs I still play from that one are the last two tracks.

Personally I think this really started with WHBWH/WS. On their older albums like Judgement, A Natural Disaster and Alternative 4, I feel like they made emotional music, but it never felt like they were trying too much. Ever since they got back on track and started releasing albums more frequently with WHBWH, they have started to cross that line more frequently. When they don't cross it, they deliver some really beautiful and heartfelt music, but when they do cross it, the music just comes off as trying really hard to be something, and sounding forced. I remember especially having that problem with several songs on Falling Deeper (as well as several on WS and a few on WHBWH), sometimes they are just trying a little too much and you can tell.

You feel dumb as the listener because it's a fine line between hearing something that evokes those feelings in you and makes you feel something, and having the song tell you what you should feel.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1746 on: June 03, 2014, 07:13:14 AM »
Love the album after 2 listens, I really need to buy this soon!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1747 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:22 AM »
Personally I think this really started with WHBWH/WS. On their older albums like Judgement, A Natural Disaster and Alternative 4, I feel like they made emotional music, but it never felt like they were trying too much.

Maybe it has less to do with the music itself, and more to do with the changes surrounding it. A lot of fans (I imagine) felt the change towards incredibly positive lyrics to be a bit forced, jarring, and out of nowhere. If that is the case, it makes sense that they would find the newer material itself more forced. I'm only speculating about that, I could be way off given that I wasn't there at the time. And I can sort of relate as well, coming from the other direction. I started with WHBWH and WS, and when I went back to the older stuff I was, at first, a little put off by the melancholic music. I don't know if forced is the right word, but there were definitely times when I thought it sounded overly emotional. Only difference I suppose is that overly emotional sad music isn't typically labeled as cheesy, but rather melodramatic.

Ah well, what do I know? Nothing... But I certainly have grown to love almost all of their music  (apart for Serenades), cheesy and melodramatic alike.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1748 on: June 03, 2014, 09:09:17 AM »
It's an interesting point you bring up. I was a fan of the band since before WHBWH came out, but personally I didn't mind the change from dark to light. I think they have written some of their best songs in "Phase 2" of their career, and they have written some really good emotional songs. Maybe it's harder to write positive songs though? It seems like it's easier to capture the melancholic and depressing emotions, maybe because it's easier to pinpoint what those are. When you're writing a positive song, it can easily come off as "Everything is so positive and exciting and life is wonderful and the best thing in the world", which IMO some of the more recent songs suffer from.

There's something very truthful to a lot of their older stuff, and you can really feel and hear the pain of the lyrics on songs like Forgotten Hopes, One Last Goodbye or Lost Control. (Just to name a few) There are moments like that on the recent stuff which also resonates with me (despite the lyrics being more bright and positive), but there are a few songs where it doesn't feel quite as sincere. Maybe it's just the change in lyrics overall. Old Anathema felt very more personal and very much like their own experiences and lives. There are a few recent songs like that, but overall they seem to have moved onto "bigger" ideas, with the whole "life is eternal" theme of exploring life and death.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1749 on: June 03, 2014, 09:25:06 AM »
The point about the lyrical themes becoming larger and perhaps less personal to the band members themselves is definitely something I haven't thought about before, but see now that you mention it. It also reminds me of a Steven Wilson interview I saw a little while back where he said it's much easier to be genuine writing music about pain and sadness.

And while I enjoy the bigger themes a lot too, there's absolutely no beating One Last Goodbye when it comes to emotive and personal delivery. It doesn't get any better than that...  :'(