Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271134 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Anathema
« Reply #1681 on: May 17, 2014, 09:31:30 PM »
New review:
https://www.prog-sphere.com/reviews/distant-satellites-by-anathema/

Interesting how he said that this album is similar to WS, as several others who have heard it said that it's a progression from WHBWH and WS. Hopefully, he's just referring to the lyrics and general optimistic mood of the last two albums instead of the songwriting, as I would prefer them to mix up the music a bit while retaining their recent optimistic, upbeat attitude.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1682 on: May 17, 2014, 10:15:08 PM »
The review has me as excited as ever, thanks for sharing, but a couple things….

the title track to Distant Satellites. This amazing song (as well as the closer Take Shelter) finally accomplish what We’re Here Because We’re Here” and Weather Systems fell short of: a satisfying climactic finish to the album.
If Internal Landscapes isn't a satisfying and climactic finish to an album, then I don't know what is. In fact, I'd say it is the most satisfying and most climactic song Anathema has ever released.

And a whole lot of 'hell no' from me, in regards to the reviewer's take on the recent direction Anathema has taken with their lyrics. Conor Flynes can take his complaints about "pseudo-spiritual love and peace" and shove them straight back up his goddamned, lousy, anal cunt of a mouth.   :angel:
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1683 on: May 17, 2014, 10:21:59 PM »
^I agree with what you said about Internal Landscapes. It's a pretty simple song but so powerful, and I couldn't think of a better way to end the album.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1684 on: May 18, 2014, 03:52:59 AM »
I really like Internal Landscapes, but I would not call it climactic. It's a very mellow and peaceful outro to the album, kinda fading out into the distance. I would say Hindsight is one of their most climactic songs though, that song really builds up to an epic climax. Internal Landscape is a wonderful song, but not really a climactic song. It's a beautiful song that fades out the album though.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1685 on: May 18, 2014, 11:55:10 AM »
You kidding me? If the part where the electric guitars kick in up to the final vocal line isn't climactic, I don't know what is.
I'd say Internal Landscapes easily beats Hindsight, both in quality and as a climax to the album.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1686 on: May 18, 2014, 04:09:40 PM »
I disagree. I would say Hindsight is one of their best songs, Internal Landscapes is really good, but not on the same level.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1687 on: May 18, 2014, 04:43:50 PM »
I would consider Internal landscapes to be one of the most beautiful, emotionally powerful songs I've ever heard and it has brought me to tears on numerous occasions. Its one of my top favorite songs in this world.

I can't say the same about Hindsight.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1688 on: May 18, 2014, 06:24:59 PM »
I would consider Internal landscapes to be one of the most beautiful, emotionally powerful songs I've ever heard and it has brought me to tears on numerous occasions. Its one of my top favorite songs in this world.

I can't say the same about Hindsight.

Agreed on all points. Hindsight is great too, though. Even better, on certain occasions. 3 weeks left! I'm surprised the band still hasn't released an official single.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1689 on: May 19, 2014, 11:49:49 AM »

I feel the same.  Very powerful tune.   
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline emtee

« Reply #1690 on: May 19, 2014, 12:36:32 PM »
Yeah there are times when I just can't listen to that song. Just too much. It's truly beautiful and very moving.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1691 on: May 19, 2014, 03:11:49 PM »
That song is the definition of ethereal. Its angelic, the guys experience really ends the album nicely.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1692 on: May 20, 2014, 06:29:04 AM »
First single released, per Facebook.

Lost Song Pt. 3

https://youtu.be/q2bwKAPgsyA

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1693 on: May 20, 2014, 07:03:59 AM »

Lost Song Pt. 3

Wish I could say that I'm enjoying it more than I am. Still a whole album to listen to though.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1694 on: May 20, 2014, 07:08:59 AM »

Lost Song Pt. 3

:heart :heart :heart. This band fills me with Joy
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1695 on: May 20, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »

Lost Song Pt. 3

Wish I could say that I'm enjoying it more than I am. Still a whole album to listen to though.

I'm thinking that this is the kind of track that sounds better within the flow of the album.

Online nikatapi

« Reply #1696 on: May 21, 2014, 08:56:54 AM »
So if anyone is interested, i had an interview with Vincent from Anathema, we talked about the new album and much more stuff, you can read it here: noisefull.com/interviews/anathema-vincent-cavanagh

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1697 on: May 21, 2014, 09:53:20 AM »
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading it! It's exciting to see how excited they are about the evolution of their live shows. My first was probably the best show of my life (albeit short), and I'd love to have another go, or 15

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1698 on: May 21, 2014, 11:10:00 AM »
I can't stand the guys in interviews, but I hope for a good album.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1699 on: May 21, 2014, 12:47:32 PM »
The review has me as excited as ever, thanks for sharing, but a couple things….

the title track to Distant Satellites. This amazing song (as well as the closer Take Shelter) finally accomplish what We’re Here Because We’re Here” and Weather Systems fell short of: a satisfying climactic finish to the album.
If Internal Landscapes isn't a satisfying and climactic finish to an album, then I don't know what is. In fact, I'd say it is the most satisfying and most climactic song Anathema has ever released.

And a whole lot of 'hell no' from me, in regards to the reviewer's take on the recent direction Anathema has taken with their lyrics. Conor Flynes can take his complaints about "pseudo-spiritual love and peace" and shove them straight back up his goddamned, lousy, anal cunt of a mouth.   :angel:
take it easy, Conor is a friend of mine :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1700 on: May 21, 2014, 01:55:20 PM »
Hahahh oh shit, really? I was only being absurdly critical for the sake of irony. At the same time, I do strongly disagree with his sentiment on the recent lyrics.  :angel:

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1701 on: May 22, 2014, 12:52:58 PM »
Great interview with Vincent: https://noisefull.com/interviews/anathema-vincent-cavanagh

Although I've liked the newer albums, it's cool to hear that Distant Satellites is darker, because that's the kind of music I love the most. The bit about playing some of the early stuff live sounds really promising too :caffeine:

Online nikatapi

« Reply #1702 on: May 22, 2014, 02:24:14 PM »
Great interview with Vincent: https://noisefull.com/interviews/anathema-vincent-cavanagh

Although I've liked the newer albums, it's cool to hear that Distant Satellites is darker, because that's the kind of music I love the most. The bit about playing some of the early stuff live sounds really promising too :caffeine:

Just don't expect darker in the vein of Alternative 4 or something like that, it's definitely less happy sounding than Weather Systems.
It's a cool album, a little tiring at times, with some great songs (Anathema and Dusk (Dark Is Descending) especially) and some interesting experimentation.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1703 on: May 22, 2014, 04:20:21 PM »
From what they are saying it sounds like the album is experimental by trying many different things. Because of that I doubt it will be a home run, but hopefully a lot of those ideas and experiments work out, and they have a good foundation for where to go next.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1704 on: May 23, 2014, 12:16:29 AM »

Just don't expect darker in the vein of Alternative 4 or something like that, it's definitely less happy sounding than Weather Systems.
It's a cool album, a little tiring at times, with some great songs (Anathema and Dusk (Dark Is Descending) especially) and some interesting experimentation.
Yeah, I'm not expecting an Alternative 5, but a little bit of darkness is never a bad thing.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1705 on: May 23, 2014, 02:54:55 AM »
Hahahh oh shit, really? I was only being absurdly critical for the sake of irony. At the same time, I do strongly disagree with his sentiment on the recent lyrics.  :angel:
Eh no biggie he'd probably laugh :lol

I was really revving myself up for some radically different stuff, based on what they said about all the electronic and pop influences a few months ago :( every Anathema is good Anathema, but still.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1706 on: May 23, 2014, 12:19:36 PM »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1707 on: May 24, 2014, 09:02:08 AM »
nice video. Only a couple more weeks till release  :corn

Anyone else notice the similarities between Natural Disaster and what we know about Distant Satellites? Same number of tracks, red cover art, electronic elements, self-titled songs, reportedly darker than WHBWH and WS…

I am, admittedly, a little lotta bored right now, and perhaps I'm clutching at straws here, but I thought those were a couple interesting parallels. I can't imagine there's any way in hell that they are intentional, but food for thought nonetheless.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1709 on: May 29, 2014, 10:09:57 AM »
Fantastic- I have yet to see a single negative review!

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1710 on: May 29, 2014, 10:54:15 AM »
That's because I haven't gotten my hands on the album, yet :).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1711 on: May 29, 2014, 11:13:41 AM »
Early reviews doesn't say much though. I guess they can be nice if you want the album spoiled and know song for song how they sound, but in terms of the actual rating, early reviews are almost always positive IMO.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1712 on: May 29, 2014, 11:13:45 AM »
That's because I haven't gotten my hands on the album, yet :).

:whatisthisidonteven:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1713 on: May 29, 2014, 11:27:50 AM »
Where can I get the 3 disc deluxe edition in the US without it being $65 (I AM LOOKING AT YOU, AMAZON.COM)?

Offline pfillion

« Reply #1714 on: May 29, 2014, 03:03:44 PM »