Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271241 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Anathema
« Reply #1400 on: September 22, 2013, 12:47:23 AM »
Even the songs that were written before were reworked in a way that made them fit the feel of the album, though. It's a much more acoustic guitar based album and the songs written after show a progression, too. I wouldn't say they sound exactly alike, but rather they sound like they should-- a natural progression.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1401 on: September 22, 2013, 01:04:51 AM »
I don't think WS is bad, but Anathema has 4 or 5 albums that I like more. WS is great for what it is though.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1402 on: September 22, 2013, 06:46:38 AM »
Even the songs that were written before were reworked in a way that made them fit the feel of the album, though. It's a much more acoustic guitar based album and the songs written after show a progression, too. I wouldn't say they sound exactly alike, but rather they sound like they should-- a natural progression.
All of this, particularly about it being more acousitc guitar driven. It really changes the feel quite a bit and works perfectly for that album.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1403 on: September 22, 2013, 07:04:22 AM »
Danny said that a couple of songs on WS were songs that were written for WHBWH and didn't end up on it, so I don't think it's weird that someone would think the albums sound similar. There are a few minor minor minor differences, but otherwise they are the two most similar Anathema albums in their discography, and they have much more in common than many of the older albums have in common with each other for example.
I still don't get this. To me Weather Systems sounds completely unique, and a lot better.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1404 on: September 22, 2013, 08:49:57 AM »
Yeah, WHBWH feels like more of a heavy, guitar-focused album and WS is more of an atmospheric album. Similar yes, but not as similar as some would like to believe.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1405 on: September 22, 2013, 09:09:55 AM »
Yeah, the whole vibe of WS is so much different. The orchestrations and the use of dual vocalists give it a way distinct tone.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1406 on: September 22, 2013, 09:18:21 AM »
You guys make it sound like I said Serenades and Weather Systems are different and not WHBWH and WS.  :lol It's fine if you don't agree though, I don't really mind since it's all opinions. I think WS and WHBWH are similar in the way I would say In Absentia and Deadwing are similar. There are differences, but still a very distinctive sound. And like I said, out of the Anathema albums, I think WS and WHBWH are the two "closest" albums you can find.

« Reply #1407 on: September 22, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »
With WS they played it safe and basically made a WHBWH 2.0. A great album, but a twin-album music-wise.
I don't know about everyone else, but I was pretty much taking issue with the above. Saying they're similar is one thing (and arguably inarguable ;) ) but calling it WHBWH 2.0? Yeah, I don't hear that at all.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1408 on: September 22, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
Like I said, if even Danny (a band-member) said in an interview that parts of the album were leftovers from WHBWH, I don't see why it's something to get all worked up about.

« Reply #1409 on: September 22, 2013, 10:19:27 AM »
Like I said, if even Danny (a band-member) said in an interview that parts of the album were leftovers from WHBWH, I don't see why it's something to get all worked up about.
Why not if we disagree with it. People get worked up about lesser things around here.

Regardless of what Danny says, the songs do not sound like just more of WHBWH. Judging music, movies, paintings and other art is more than just relying on what the artist intends or thinks he intended. Danny can say that some songs were just leftovers, but IMO, they still managed to craft a unique album around them.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1410 on: September 22, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
I agree that our perception of it is just as important with the original idea behind the work, and I don't mind people thinking they are very different. I think songs like Untouchable and Thin Air have the same "style", where a song like "The Storm Before the Calm" has a sound that works on WS but wouldn't on WHBWH.

It feels weird for me talking about WS because I don't even dislike it. My comments make it sound like I think it's a shittier copy of WHBWH and that's not my intent. When WHBWH came out, I was blown away, and it became such a huge album for me, that by the time WS came out, it just couldn't possibly live up to my great expectations after WHBWH. My initial reaction was disappointment, but over time the album has grown on me. While I think WHBWH and Judgement are better, WS is in that category of 4-5 really strong albums behind that, and I still really love it. Beautiful album.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #1411 on: September 22, 2013, 10:36:28 AM »
Minneapolis tonight!

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #1412 on: September 28, 2013, 12:28:14 AM »
In case any of you wanted new info about the new lineup and the new album next year. check out my interview I did with Daniel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_n4rGVH2Y
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1413 on: September 28, 2013, 05:39:04 AM »
Hah, sounds like an amusing guy. You got Danned (thanks for the interview btw.)
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1414 on: September 28, 2013, 10:02:40 AM »
I watched Universal and Its great.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1415 on: September 28, 2013, 03:36:58 PM »
In case any of you wanted new info about the new lineup and the new album next year. check out my interview I did with Daniel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2_n4rGVH2Y

Thank you so much for sharing! Great interview, I really enjoyed it. A lot of stuff to be thrilled about, when it comes to the future of Anathema!
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1416 on: September 28, 2013, 08:21:26 PM »
Great interview! The most interesting part is how Daniel Cardoso will be their primary drummer with John Douglas adding additional percussion, synths, and songwriting. I know when they announced that Cardoso will be their new keyboardist they said that he'd also be playing drums, so that's not surprising.

I am kind of curious about what happened to Jamie Cavanagh. He isn't in the Weather Systems promo pictures, only played on two of the songs, and then was considered a live member on the WS tour. In this interview, Danny didn't even mention him and kind of implied that the US tour bassist was now in the band. Seems kind of weird that no one has said anything about his position in the band. :huh: Also, I wonder if John Douglas will tour with the band or if he'll just work with them in the studio.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1417 on: September 29, 2013, 04:41:14 AM »
Show tonight!!!  :metal
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1418 on: September 30, 2013, 01:02:47 AM »
Show tonight!!!  :metal

Tomorrow for me!!!  :metal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #1419 on: September 30, 2013, 06:09:49 AM »
I'm obviously a little late to the discussion, but I'll chime in by saying I've been a fan of Anathema since the Crestfallen days.  However, their last few releases are some of the most beautiful pieces of music I've ever heard. After hearing the Eternity CD for the first time, I had a strange feeling they were going to be taking future releases in a different direction.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1420 on: September 30, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
Am I the only one who gets goosebumps during Untouchable Part 2 when Lee sings "I feeeeell you..."?

Dem feels man. Dem feels.

Dem feels of a perfect fucking album.  :metal

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1421 on: September 30, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »
Am I the only one who gets goosebumps during Untouchable Part 2 when Lee sings "I feeeeell you..."?

Dem feels man. Dem feels.

Dem feels of a perfect fucking album.  :metal
I concur with every word here.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1422 on: September 30, 2013, 01:32:12 PM »
I think both Untouchable songs are the biggest standouts on the album, and Untouchable 2 especially is just amazing.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1423 on: September 30, 2013, 02:22:00 PM »
Part 2 is beautiful and all, but it's honestly my 2nd least-favorite song on the album.
Part 1, however, is simply amazing.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1424 on: September 30, 2013, 02:26:06 PM »
Part 2 is beautiful and all, but it's honestly my 2nd least-favorite song on the album.
Part 1, however, is simply amazing.

:|

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1425 on: September 30, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »
I think Part 1 sets up Part 2 beautifully, and where Part 1 is like the build-up, Part 2 is the payoff.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1426 on: September 30, 2013, 04:18:40 PM »
Saw the show last night and it was stunning!!! Can't say enough about how great it was.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1427 on: September 30, 2013, 10:41:36 PM »
Saw the show last night and it was stunning!!! Can't say enough about how great it was.

Just out of curiosity, how long was the total show, all three bands?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1428 on: September 30, 2013, 10:52:13 PM »

The first band didn't play...so glad. Alcest played about 1.25 hours and Anathema played their hearts out for 1.5 hours. They were simply amazing...so much energy and feeling. They truly love what they do and it shows.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1429 on: September 30, 2013, 11:34:34 PM »
Cool, I was just curious cause public transportation shuts down after midnight here.

Soooo looking forward to the show!!!! My bro bailed on me so I'm going solo, gonna get there early and plant myself right in front!!!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1430 on: October 01, 2013, 10:26:43 AM »

The first band didn't play...so glad. Alcest played about 1.25 hours and Anathema played their hearts out for 1.5 hours. They were simply amazing...so much energy and feeling. They truly love what they do and it shows.

If the show I attended is any indication, even if Mamiffer had played it wouldn't have affected the setlist length of Alcest and Anathema, so no reason to be glad about that. Unless you were glad because you just don't like Mamiffer. I myself had never heard any of there stuff, and found it to be a pleasant surprise. Not something I would ever likely buy, but still neat to see in the live setting.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1431 on: October 01, 2013, 10:33:00 AM »
I can only take so many bands in one shoe, it was fine by me, especially since I had to work early the next day. Nothing against them personally.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1432 on: October 01, 2013, 04:53:56 PM »
kicking it across the street from the venue, just waiting for a line to start. Always hate being first :p

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1433 on: October 01, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
kicking it across the street from the venue, just waiting for a line to start. Always hate being first :p

Yeh... I got to mine a few hours early as well  :D I was lucky enough to run into Vinnie in the parking lot when I arrived. I kept my cool and just gave him a smile, even though I wanted to run and hug. He was having a conversation on the phone, so I didn't really have much of a choice.

I hope you have a brilliant time!

Offline adace

« Reply #1434 on: October 01, 2013, 08:29:34 PM »
The concert in my area happens on Thursday but I doubt I'll have the funds to go. :sadpanda: Stupid ticketbastard >:(