Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271513 times)

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
Re: Anathema
« Reply #1365 on: September 13, 2013, 02:37:11 PM »
lol no way that setlist is amazing.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1366 on: September 14, 2013, 11:14:47 AM »
Not enough Alt 4/Judgement songs for my taste, but I don't live in a country where good concerts happen and won't see the tour so who am I to complain :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1367 on: September 14, 2013, 07:51:04 PM »
I was at the Springfield Va show last night. My first time seeing Anathema, and Alcest too. The opener Mammifer was interesting, but I could've done without them (more on that later). Alcest was a considerable step up, and a couple of their songs really blew me away. They closed with a new song, to be released on the upcoming album... REALLY GOOD. Unfortunately the crowd kind of took away from that performance a bit. A couple of super obnoxious Hispanics found their way next to me and proceeded to have a really loud conversation. One of them then got out his phone to record, right in my line of sight. That was the last straw for me, and I had to push him away. Alcest played for about 1 hour 15 minutes, which wasn't too long, but satisfied me anyhow.

Then Anathema... While the two are technically 'co-headlining' it was clear who the crowd was there to see, and they really brought the energy. I was practically on the stage, as I was the first to arrive at the venue (funnily enough, I pulled in to find Vinny sitting on the curb talking on the phone), right between Vinny and Lee. As for the show itself... WOAH! Interestingly enough, the opening song was a little underwhelming, but every single piece after that blew me away. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I spent the hour and a half with nonstop goosebumps. Highlights from the show, SPOILERS if you don't want to know what songs were played (though, if you don't, you probably shouldn't be here anyways).

Lightning Song
Deep
Thin Air
Dreaming Light
Internal Landscapes
Closer

I honestly can't pick a favorite from these 6, as they were all flawless in my book.

Overall, my only complaint would be the length of the show. I really enjoyed Alcest, and wouldn't have shortened their show. But if they could have done the gig without Mammifer, both bands could have gotten an additional 15 minutes in. Still, what I did get was phenomenal. Sure, the setlist could have used a couple more tracks from Alternative 4 and Judgement, A Natural Disaster too for that matter. But I can't complain about any of the newer songs they chose to play. After the show I bought the Bluray DVD and got the booklet autographed by Vincent and Danny. I chatted a little with both too, and got a few pictures which I'd like to post at some point soon. Danny seemed a little hungry, so I gave him an apple! Both were incredibly generous, kind, and approachable. In a word: genuine. Can't wait for the album next year (which they mentioned during the show), and the next opportunity for me to see these guys live.

Venue: 9.5/10. It was small, cozy, and intimate as all get out. The sound was probably not perfect, but it was damn well close.
Mamiffer: 7/10. Really enjoyable, but like I said, I'd be perfectly happy to sacrifice their slot for 15 minutes more of Alcest and Anathema
Alcest: 10/10. Ignoring the issues with the crowd, I don't think I couldn've enjoyed Alcest more. The heavy parts were executed extremely well, and the rest put me in a trance.
Anathema: 15/10. nuff said.
Overall Experience: 11/10. Maybe the best live show of my life.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: September 15, 2013, 04:16:41 AM »
Sounds great! I saw them live three times and they blew me away every time. They have so much energy and so much fun on stage, it's great to see.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1369 on: September 15, 2013, 04:25:20 AM »
Nice to hear you had a great time, seneca! :)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1370 on: September 15, 2013, 05:49:52 PM »
Saw them last night. I'm definitely glad I went to the NYC show instead of Boston (which, for various reasons, I wouldn't have been able to attend) because the band was extremely happy to be playing in NYC to a sold-out show. I really think this affected the bands performance as they were electrified, for lack of a better word (a guy told me after the show that they were way better last night than they were in Philly the other day).

Before the show, I got to meet Vincent Cavanagh. He was walking down the street past the line so a guy called him over. He talked for a bit, showed everyone pictures of his cat  :lol, and took some pictures with fans. He was super nice and very appreciative of everyone who came out. I was so excited to meet him that I kind of blanked out and just thanked him for the music.

So anyway, Mamiffer seemed to divide the audience. Some hated them, and others thought they were great. I was kind of familiar with them beforehand but wasn't sure how they'd come across live. I really enjoyed them, but I'm not sure I'd like to see them play a full show in that kind of environment (small, standing room only venue). Their music was pretty mellow and kind of calming, so I think they'd probably be better suited for a seated theater type place. But regardless, they were a good opener and I'm glad I saw that the opening spot, as they deserve the recognition.

I'm sort of familiar with Alcest but I was really at the show for Anathema. I don't have much to say about them, other than their new stuff sounded fantastic. Cool band, and I'd certainly see them again. The new stuff was my favorite so I’ll buy their new album when it’s out.

SPOILERS

Anathema was, as expected, phenomenal and exceeded my expectations. Daniel Cardoso did a great job on drums, and the temporary bassist fit in well with the band.  Not having a full-time keyboard player didn’t really hurt the band as Danny played the piano parts live (with some orchestral sounds playing on a backing track). The Gathering of the Clouds and Lightening Song were played together, which was one of the highlights for me as they both work so well flowing into each other.  I was kind of disappointed that they didn’t play Everything, as it was on the opening night set list, but the set was excellent regardless. Overall, I’m so glad I finally got see the full band live. The hour and half flew right by, and the band’s energy was contagious.

I’m going to have to disagree with senecadawg2 regarding cutting Mamiffer’s set; I enjoyed them and was glad that they had the chance to play on this tour.  I thought Alcest played for a decent amount of time and didn’t need a longer set (then again, I'm not really a huge fan of theirs) and Anathema could have lengthened their set by two or three songs without running too late. But regardless, it was a fun night and I'm really grateful that I got to see three fantastic bands!

(edited for spelling)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2013, 07:40:14 PM by ColdFireYYZ »

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1371 on: September 15, 2013, 07:39:17 PM »
Glad you also enjoyed them!

I'm psyched to see what they release next, in 2014.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1372 on: September 17, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
Still in a bit of a daze...

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1373 on: September 17, 2013, 11:33:02 PM »
My copy of Universal has shipped.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: September 18, 2013, 08:59:47 AM »
Is it true that the BluRay only has stereo audio?

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1375 on: September 18, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
I watched Universal last night in it's entirety (got it at the concert). I'm not a big concert DVD fan, but this was in a league of its own. The filming was fantastic and the ancient theater that they played at was a perfect setting for this show. The orchestra was phenomenal, and while they had plenty of moments to shine, they never took too much attention away from the band. Standouts for me were Everything and Thin Air, both of which were better than the studio versions IMO.

I only have one complaint: Lee's vocals were mixed too low at times. For example, in Internal Landscapes she was mixed at a regular level when singing lead, but her backing vocals (the "senses following me" part) were way too low. For the most part, she was fine but there were several occasions where she was mixed much lower than on the album versions of the songs.

I usually only watch DVDs like these two or three times if at all, but this is something that I can imagine myself coming back to.

My copy also came with an audio version, which is the same track listing as the vinyl release. I was hoping that they'd sell a full audio version, but it seems like the only way to get it would have been to order the fan's edition. I ended up going for this regular version because the entire encore was on the DVD (the fan's edition has the encore exclusive to the Blu-Ray). 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1376 on: September 21, 2013, 10:48:05 AM »
watched it last night too. BEAUTIFUlL

Also, figured there may be some interest in this...

https://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3255151/breaking-anathema-reveals-details-about-new-album/

While talking with Danny Cavanagh, he stated that the new album will be recorded later this year and possibly spill over into January of next year. The band will enter the studio to record with producer Christer André Cederberg, who worked on Weather Systems and who is currently working with Anathema guest vocalist Petter Carlsen (who released another of my 2012 favorite albums, Clocks Don’t Count).

The new album will feature at least 8 tracks although it might go up to 10. Danny states that two of the tracks will have a slightly more electronic feel to them, although he admits that this does cause him a little bit of worry and concern on what the fans will think. However, he states that he is inspired by the fearlessness of Radiohead songwriter/vocalist Thom Yorke, who Danny says has no concern on what the fans think because he releases the music he wants, lacking a fear of rejection.

Danny also has taken inspiration from his recent attendance at the Atoms For Peace concert in London where he said he danced for 90 minutes straight, something he hasn’t done for years and years. He comments that he went into the concert one musician and left another, charged to create something entirely new and different from what he had previously intended.

Another track that will hopefully appear on the album will be a two-minute (perhaps slightly longer) a cappella piece that features all the current and past members of Anathema as well as ex-The Gathering singer Anneke van Giersbergen and Petter Carlsen.

He wrapped up by admitting that while Weather Systems and We’re Here Because We’re Here were beautiful, fantastic albums, he thinks that he might’ve played it a bit safe, bowing to the fans’ cries for “More guitar!” After this, he stated that the band will gradually shift away from that over the next three albums.

On a personal note, I have to say that talking with Danny was an absolute delight. He’s charming, witty, has just the right amount of ego while still understanding and appreciating the fans, and is so passionate about what he does. For me, Anathema is a band that holds no pretentiousness, who writes honest music with heartbreaking, poignant, and powerful lyrics, and are stellar songwriters. A new album will be a great addition not only to my collection but to a musical landscape that desperately craves those attributes. May 2014 cannot come soon enough for me.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1377 on: September 21, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »
Oh god bring it on.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1378 on: September 21, 2013, 11:00:45 AM »
If 'electronic feel' equates to anything close to 'Closer', I'm psyched. And if it doesn't, I'm even more psyched.

These guys are still relatively young, and gaining momentum.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1379 on: September 21, 2013, 11:04:02 AM »
Fuck yeah!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: September 21, 2013, 11:04:37 AM »
He wrapped up by admitting that while Weather Systems and We’re Here Because We’re Here were beautiful, fantastic albums, he thinks that he might’ve played it a bit safe, bowing to the fans’ cries for “More guitar!” After this, he stated that the band will gradually shift away from that over the next three albums.
I thought WS and WHBWH were quite keyboard-driven already...

However, I'm glad to hear they'll continue to explore new things :tup The mention about the a cappella song is very interesting. I wonder if they even want to get Dave Pybus to appear on it because of what happened in 2001 :P

Offline Sketchy

• DTF.org Member
  • More tea is required.
« Reply #1381 on: September 21, 2013, 11:07:23 AM »
I am prepared.
This is as exciting as superluminal neutrinos. The sexy thing is that this actually exists :D

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: September 21, 2013, 11:10:06 AM »
More Thom Yorke influence is never a bad thing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1383 on: September 21, 2013, 11:10:52 AM »
...unless one is talking about vocals :-\

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1384 on: September 21, 2013, 11:12:20 AM »
Whaaaat? Yorke's vocals are amazing.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1385 on: September 21, 2013, 11:13:02 AM »
I'm not a fan, sorry!

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1386 on: September 21, 2013, 11:14:53 AM »
Fair enough. Personally he is one of my favourite musicians, can't get enough of whatever he puts out.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1387 on: September 21, 2013, 11:19:33 AM »
If the past two were playing it safe, I just can't imagine what they're capable of being unleashed. And good Danny is doing what he wants and not giving a shit of what the fans want.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1388 on: September 21, 2013, 11:25:39 AM »
This sounds like it's going to be incredible! The a cappella piece sounds like a cool idea.

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1389 on: September 21, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
Looking forward to the show in Chicago tonight  :metal

Not sure what to expect from Alcest.  I never got around to checking any stuff out.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1390 on: September 21, 2013, 11:43:45 AM »
I want to be optimistic, but I won't until I hear the music. As much as I like the two last albums, you can point at WHBWH as being as good as it is because they spent 6-7 years making it, and had a long time making it as good as it eventually became. With WS they played it safe and basically made a WHBWH 2.0. A great album, but a twin-album music-wise. Now if they try something entirely different, it will probably be hit or miss. I either see the new album being really good, or pretty "meh" overall. Hopefully the former, but you never know.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1391 on: September 21, 2013, 12:54:11 PM »
Another track that will hopefully appear on the album will be a two-minute (perhaps slightly longer) a cappella piece that features all the current and past members of Anathema as well as ex-The Gathering singer Anneke van Giersbergen and Petter Carlsen.
HOLY CRAP I MUST HEAR THIS! :o

Jimmy, I still don't see why you think of WS as being safe, or WHBWH 2.0. Other than being quite spiritual and harmonically rich, I really don't find them to be very similar at all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1392 on: September 21, 2013, 03:23:09 PM »
Danny said that a couple of songs on WS were songs that were written for WHBWH and didn't end up on it, so I don't think it's weird that someone would think the albums sound similar. There are a few minor minor minor differences, but otherwise they are the two most similar Anathema albums in their discography, and they have much more in common than many of the older albums have in common with each other for example.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1393 on: September 21, 2013, 03:34:58 PM »
Except that WS is way better than WHBWH heheheheh

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1394 on: September 21, 2013, 03:35:44 PM »
o/

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #1395 on: September 21, 2013, 03:41:57 PM »

Yup.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1396 on: September 21, 2013, 03:45:00 PM »

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1397 on: September 21, 2013, 03:48:25 PM »
I don't think WS is bad, but Anathema has 4 or 5 albums that I like more. WS is great for what it is though.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1398 on: September 21, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1399 on: September 21, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
Danny said that a couple of songs on WS were songs that were written for WHBWH and didn't end up on it, so I don't think it's weird that someone would think the albums sound similar. There are a few minor minor minor differences, but otherwise they are the two most similar Anathema albums in their discography, and they have much more in common than many of the older albums have in common with each other for example.

Yeah, I always thought that if they had released WS and WHBWH as a double album no one would have thought there was something wrong.