Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271558 times)

Offline ColdFireYYZ

Re: Anathema
« Reply #1050 on: July 01, 2012, 11:38:40 AM »
Its easily my AOTY. I've listened to it over 30 times and I'm still not sick of it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1051 on: July 01, 2012, 12:23:47 PM »
WS is definitely my album of the year and the funniest thing is that I didn't even like it on the first listen.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 07:43:30 PM by Phoenix87x »

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1052 on: July 01, 2012, 01:34:02 PM »
Yes, top 5 album of the year.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1053 on: July 01, 2012, 05:02:34 PM »
Yeah I really cannot get enough of this album, definite contender for AOTY! Such beautiful music!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1054 on: July 05, 2012, 10:12:02 PM »
SHIT.

I can't listen to "The Beginning and the End" without listening simultaneously Riverside's "Left Out" in my head, and vice-versa. I think the two songs intros are quite similar, and I love both songs to death. Just wanted to say that.

Offline pkj

« Reply #1055 on: July 06, 2012, 09:52:59 AM »
I really like 'Dreaming Light'.  How does that song measure up to the other stuff on the last two albums?

Offline jag66

« Reply #1056 on: July 06, 2012, 03:20:03 PM »
I really like 'Dreaming Light'.  How does that song measure up to the other stuff on the last two albums?

Dreaming Light is great, as is a lot of their other new (and old) stuff. Listen and find out!

« Reply #1057 on: July 13, 2012, 07:31:17 PM »
Two months of heavy Anathema listening later and Eternity has actually shaped up to be my favorite album. You have the one two punch of Sentient and Angelica, the addictive cover of Hope, and the rest of the album's just so cool, and spacey, and experimental. Suicide Veil is also an outstanding fusion of their doom metal and Pink Floydian sounds. Anyone else love Eternity?

Offline pkj

« Reply #1058 on: July 13, 2012, 08:10:32 PM »
Two months of heavy Anathema listening later and Eternity has actually shaped up to be my favorite album. You have the one two punch of Sentient and Angelica, the addictive cover of Hope, and the rest of the album's just so cool, and spacey, and experimental. Suicide Veil is also an outstanding fusion of their doom metal and Pink Floydian sounds. Anyone else love Eternity?
Yes, absolutely.  'Angelica' is probably one of my favorite songs.  It's also interesting from the perspective of the band's evolution -- at this point Vincent decided to really sing in a conventional manner, and although his performance is technically unpolished, there's so much raw talent there waiting to be cultivated.  And he did in fact take a big step on 'Alternative 4'.

« Reply #1059 on: July 13, 2012, 08:17:07 PM »
Yes, absolutely.  'Angelica' is probably one of my favorite songs.  It's also interesting from the perspective of the band's evolution -- at this point Vincent decided to really sing in a conventional manner, and although his performance is technically unpolished, there's so much raw talent there waiting to be cultivated.  And he did in fact take a big step on 'Alternative 4'.

:heart Angelica, especially the guitar melody. And that chorus-y bass sound underneath… perfection. The only iffy vocal part on the album for me is the bridge of Hope, but it's not a big deal.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: July 14, 2012, 11:36:58 AM »
Weather Systems is easily my #1 album this year so far. I love everything about it. And I didn't even like WHBWH that much. Weather Systems just resonates with me so much more. It will be very difficult for something else coming out this year to displace it.

Offline John94

« Reply #1061 on: July 14, 2012, 11:53:00 AM »
Listening to something like Angelica and then listening to Weather Systems shows how much Vinny has improved as a vocalist over time.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1062 on: July 14, 2012, 12:12:19 PM »
I definitely like Weather Systems much more than WHBWH, although that album is still great.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1063 on: July 14, 2012, 01:18:55 PM »
Not only is WS my favorite album of the year, but Internal Landscapes is my favorite song of the year.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1064 on: July 14, 2012, 01:31:57 PM »
I got Eternity recently, and HOLY FUCK. These guys are good.

What should I get next?
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1065 on: July 14, 2012, 01:38:07 PM »

What should I get next?

Judg(e)ment, We're Here Because We're Here and Weather Systems. Enjoy.
Basically, everything that comes after Eternity is good though.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1066 on: July 15, 2012, 01:34:12 AM »

What should I get next?
I highly recommend Alternative 4, Judgement and the latest 2 albums.

EDIT: Just saw the Eternity discussion... We were talking about that album earlier in this thread and my opinion hasn't changed since: it's a good album but in the bottom half of Anathema discography for me. I find it pretty inconsistent, the muddy production brings the album down a bit and Vinnie has improved a lot as a singer since then. I prefer A4 and The Silent Enigma, the albums that came before and after Eternity.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: July 18, 2012, 05:21:54 AM »
I bought The Brink by Alternative 4, Duncan's new band, yesterday and I'm liking it besides the overlong closing track. My favorite song so far is Still Waters. The style of the album is like a mixture of the Anathema album, Roger Waters-led era Pink Floyd and some of the more minimalistic and hypnotic Antimatter stuff.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #1068 on: July 19, 2012, 12:14:49 PM »
Don't know if anyone here has been keeping up with any recent interviews but it looks like they will be filming a new DVD this year and with an orchestra!
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 12:20:43 PM by Pockets17red »
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

« Reply #1069 on: July 24, 2012, 07:34:11 AM »
Now this is interesting... the copy of Serenades I bought a couple years ago replaces "Dreaming: The Romance" with four songs from The Crestfallen EP. Now that I found Dreaming The Romance on YouTube, I can safely say it's one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard. Reminds me of the game Myst for some reason.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1070 on: July 24, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
While the songs on the EP may not be the peak of Anathema's career, they're 100 times better than Dreaming... IMO. But then again I'm not an ambient fan, I want something to actually happen in the songs! :P

On the topic of the DVD, I'm looking forward to it, I've heard they'll play some Falling Deeper stuff too and that would be great, especially since they have an orchestra with them.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #1071 on: July 24, 2012, 09:39:18 AM »
While the songs on the EP may not be the peak of Anathema's career, they're 100 times better than Dreaming... IMO. But then again I'm not an ambient fan, I want something to actually happen in the songs! :P

On the topic of the DVD, I'm looking forward to it, I've heard they'll play some Falling Deeper stuff too and that would be great, especially since they have an orchestra with them.
It's kind of weird actually on the topic of Falling Deeper because in one interview Danny says they will play it and then in another he says they won't. Both interviews links are below.

https://tikwid.com/news/music/interviews/question-and-answers-with-anathema/
(do you have a plan to release a live performance with orchestral band on DVD?
DC: Yes actually, we do! But it won’t be old songs such as songs in “Falling Deeper”. It would songs from you know, from “Judgment”, “Alternative4”, “A Natural Disaster”, “Weather Systems” and “We’re Here Because We’re Here”.)

https://translate.google.ru/translate?hl=ru&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metalnews.de%2Finterviews%2FDaniel%2BCavanagh%2Bvon%2BAnathema.1193.html
(In September we will answer even a DVD with the National Orchestra of Bulgaria, where we songs from "Weather Systems", "Falling Deeper", "We're Here Because We're Here" and a few older songs.)

Second interview is in German.
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

« Reply #1072 on: July 26, 2012, 06:01:06 PM »

After a year of heavy DT listening, I've been detoxing by listening to things that are super minimalistic. By the way, Dreaming syncs up nicely with J'ai Fait Une Promesse because both are in the key of D.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: July 27, 2012, 12:58:51 AM »
It's kind of weird actually on the topic of Falling Deeper because in one interview Danny says they will play it and then in another he says they won't. Both interviews links are below.

https://tikwid.com/news/music/interviews/question-and-answers-with-anathema/
(do you have a plan to release a live performance with orchestral band on DVD?
DC: Yes actually, we do! But it won’t be old songs such as songs in “Falling Deeper”. It would songs from you know, from “Judgment”, “Alternative4”, “A Natural Disaster”, “Weather Systems” and “We’re Here Because We’re Here”.)

https://translate.google.ru/translate?hl=ru&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metalnews.de%2Finterviews%2FDaniel%2BCavanagh%2Bvon%2BAnathema.1193.html
(In September we will answer even a DVD with the National Orchestra of Bulgaria, where we songs from "Weather Systems", "Falling Deeper", "We're Here Because We're Here" and a few older songs.)

Second interview is in German.
Interesting... Which one is newer? I bet he has (or they have) changed his mind between those 2 inties and if the latter one is new, there'll probably be FD stuff. Anyway, this makes me even more anxious to see the setlist when they play that gig!

EDIT: The first interview is from late June while the German one is from early July so I assume what he's said later is what we should believe.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 10:55:30 AM by ? »

Offline pkj

« Reply #1074 on: July 27, 2012, 10:00:05 AM »
Check out this clip of Danny and Vincent (and Lee) performing 'Dreaming Light' on a BBC radio show: 

https://youtu.be/KraSqBrv39c

Can Vince sing, or what? 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1075 on: July 27, 2012, 12:23:18 PM »
Check out this clip of Danny and Vincent (and Lee) performing 'Dreaming Light' on a BBC radio show: 

Can Vince sing, or what?

:clap:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: July 28, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »
Instead of the obligatory album ranking, let's list our favorite songs from each album:

Serenades: They (Will Always) Die
The Silent Enigma: Restless Oblivion
Eternity: Eternity Pt. 3
Alternative 4: Lost Control (my #1 song from any Anathema album)
Judgement: One Last Goodbye
A Fine Day to Exit: title-track
A Natural Disaster: Balance
WHBWH: A Simple Mistake
Weather Systems: Untouchable (both parts or the first one if only one is allowed)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1077 on: July 28, 2012, 09:42:27 AM »
Cool idea, ?.. something like this:

Serenades - Sleepless
The Silent Enigma - Sunset of Age
Eternity - Far Away
Alternative 4 - Regret
Judgement - Emotional Winter
A Fine Day to Exit - A Fine Day to Exit
A Natural Disaster - Flying
We're Here Because We're Here - Universal
Weather Systems - Untouchable (both parts)

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #1078 on: July 28, 2012, 12:14:50 PM »
Only listened to the last two albums so far.

WHBWH: Angels Walk Among Us
WS: Untouchable

« Reply #1079 on: July 28, 2012, 02:09:13 PM »
Serenades- Sleepless
The Silent Enigma- A Dying Wish
Eternity- Angelica
Alternative 4- Fragile Dreams
Judgement- One Last Goodbye
A Fine Day To Exit- Temporary Peace
A Natural Disaster- Balance
We're Here Because We're Here- Summer Night Horizon
Weather Systems- Internal Landscapes

Offline pkj

« Reply #1080 on: July 28, 2012, 10:23:05 PM »
Serenades (Lovelorn Rhapsody)
Eternity (Angelica)
Alternative 4 (Feel)
Judgment (One Last Goodbye)
A Fine Day to Exit (Leave No Trace)
A Natural Disaster (Flying)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: July 29, 2012, 01:04:24 AM »
Serenades (Lovelorn Rhapsody)
:tup for picking some other song than Sleepless! I mean, it's not bad but definitely the most overrated song on the album. I prefer at least They Die, Sleep in Sanity and Lovelorn Rhapsody to it. However, the '96 remake is pretty good as I find Darren's attempts at melodic harsh singing on the original pretty terrible (his growls aren't that bad, though) and obviously it's the only song from the album that fits their setlist nowadays, save maybe for the Falling Deeper versions, which haven't been played live.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1082 on: July 29, 2012, 03:35:58 AM »
I don't really like Darren's singing that much. And it's not about the harsh vocals because I listen to (and love) lots of harsh vocals, but I just don't particularly care for his singing in Anathema. I agree that the Sleepless-version of Vinny is better, but the original still has some charm to it. :P

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1083 on: July 29, 2012, 04:30:14 AM »
[] Headspace / I am anonymous.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1084 on: July 30, 2012, 03:40:38 AM »

Can Vince sing, or what?

I didn't really find it that good, I think he was struggling to keep his voice somewhat quiet and that hurt his vibrato and sustain, it sounded kinda off. Maybe it's just me though.