Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271292 times)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Anathema
« Reply #1015 on: May 25, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »
I just bought the same set, it was really cheap.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1016 on: May 25, 2012, 02:50:36 PM »
Just ordered a combo set of (Judgement, a fine day to exit and natural disaster) so I can't wait for that to arrive.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of WS, WHBWH and FD, so I'm really really excited to start working my way backwards.

From where? Amazon? I'm interested as well.

Plus, you will see the huge difference when you listen their older stuff. But they do well, really well.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1017 on: May 25, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »
Just ordered a combo set of (Judgement, a fine day to exit and natural disaster) so I can't wait for that to arrive.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of WS, WHBWH and FD, so I'm really really excited to start working my way backwards.

From where? Amazon? I'm interested as well.

Plus, you will see the huge difference when you listen their older stuff. But they do well, really well.

Here's it is:

https://www.amazon.com/Original-Album-Classics-Anathema/dp/B005CUB78C/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1337979265&sr=1-10

Quite a pleasant surprise when I saw that this morning, especially since those were the exact 3 albums I was interested in. And for quite a bargain too.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1018 on: May 25, 2012, 03:09:20 PM »
Thanks, dude. That's really cheap as well. I'll order it.  :tup
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1019 on: May 25, 2012, 03:10:05 PM »
can you post pictures when you get it? i'm curious what they included and didn't, artwork-wise.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1020 on: May 25, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
I have gone back to Weather Systems several times.  WHBWH has not really compelled me to listen more.  I admit, though, that I have bought a TON of music lately that is competing with these for attention.

Most of their albums have been growers for me. Just give it a try sometime later on and see what happens.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1021 on: May 26, 2012, 01:51:10 PM »
can you post pictures when you get it? i'm curious what they included and didn't, artwork-wise.

there's actually not much packaging to speak of, which makes sense as cheap as it was.  It's just a small cardboard box with three cardboard sleeves inside, kinda like mini-album covers.

Here is a pic I found online:

Winger would be better!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1022 on: May 26, 2012, 01:59:05 PM »
I listened to Weather Systems and was blown away by how beautiful it is. It's perfect for bringing your.mind at ease.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1023 on: May 26, 2012, 02:39:00 PM »
Listened to the new album during a long drive yesterday.

Beautiful...

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1024 on: May 26, 2012, 03:42:42 PM »
Listened to the new album during a long drive yesterday.

Beautiful...

pretty pretty pretty beautiful.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline marztacy

« Reply #1025 on: May 27, 2012, 08:16:03 AM »
Weather Systems is an absolutely incredible album! It encompasses a myriad of emotions that i can deeply relate to from love, beauty, positivity to heartbreak, depression and thats what makes it such a truly great album. Being able to identify with and be moved by the music makes it an extremely beautiful and touching album to me personally and it is easily in my top 5 albums of all time  :tup

« Reply #1026 on: June 01, 2012, 02:31:52 AM »
Has anyone noticed how much Anathema cross references their songs? Judgement has a lot of allusions to A4 (Destiny Is Dead, "do you ever wonder why you were left alone"), Temporary Peace references cries on the wind and serenades, and A Simple Mistake mentions a moment in time. Another obvious one is "we're here cause we're here" in Gathering Of The Clouds. Can anyone think of any other examples?

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #1027 on: June 01, 2012, 04:14:39 AM »
"What you mean to me" - Inner Silence, Untouchable pt. 2

It seems The Storm Before the Calm originally had the lyric "we're here because we're here" when Danny played it in the video going through all the songs in the album

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1028 on: June 01, 2012, 08:15:11 AM »
Darren White mentions mountains many times in his lyrics on Pentecost III:

"There is a whole mountain" "There are many mountains" -Kingdom
"How can you climb a mountain to kill a God?" "We do not need to climb a mountain" -We the Gods

I also hear "mountains" in the speech in Mine is Yours. Even Danny himself said "All that I can say now is that Vincent [Cavanagh, ed] is an excellent singer, cos he really can sing notes as well, and he has better ideas for lyrics, his lyrics are less about... There are no 'mountains', 'valleys' or 'gods' anymore. It's more real..." in this old interview. However, later he's changed his mind about Darren's lyrics, he calls Darren a "true poet" in the liner notes of Falling Deeper and The Silent Enigma reissue.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: June 01, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »
i really don't think they're cross-references. "The Gathering of the Clouds" was written for WHBWH but left off, which is why the album title is from a lyric. the rest are either happenstance (the phrase "what you mean to me" in two Anathema songs is a cross-reference? really? that's a standard sappy lyric line, dude) or obviously unintentional (why would "Temporary Peace" intentionally have anything to do with Serenades? the lyrics don't support that just because they say the word!). the only one i see being possibly intentional is "Destiny is Dead" because Duncan was gone and it's instrumental, so the title could have been anything, yet they chose one that seems to reference the instrumental "Destiny" from A4. the rest is clearly crapshoot, imo.

« Reply #1030 on: June 01, 2012, 05:57:10 PM »
i really don't think they're cross-references. "The Gathering of the Clouds" was written for WHBWH but left off, which is why the album title is from a lyric. the rest are either happenstance (the phrase "what you mean to me" in two Anathema songs is a cross-reference? really? that's a standard sappy lyric line, dude) or obviously unintentional (why would "Temporary Peace" intentionally have anything to do with Serenades? the lyrics don't support that just because they say the word!). the only one i see being possibly intentional is "Destiny is Dead" because Duncan was gone and it's instrumental, so the title could have been anything, yet they chose one that seems to reference the instrumental "Destiny" from A4. the rest is clearly crapshoot, imo.

"Crying in the wind" and "serenade" occur in the same line in Temporary Peace. Seems like an intentional "nugget" for the fans. In that interview I posted with Duncan, he thought that Destiny Is Dead was aimed at him. Judgement in fact has a lot of lyrical stabs at him, another one being "do you ever wonder why you were left alone?" which is an obvious reference to "do you wonder why I prefer to be alone?" from Lost Control. Destiny from Alternative 4 is also not an instrumental. Destiny Is Dead from Judgement is the instrumental.

Another one is "get off, get out" in The Storm Before The Calm. Yes, a lot of the Weather Systems material was written for We're Here Because We're Here, so they share some lyrical motifs. I would interpret those sorts of things to be cross references. Devin Townsend is another artist who does this kind of stuff all the time.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1031 on: June 01, 2012, 07:45:42 PM »
^ woops, fair call on "Destiny" there, i normally stop at "Regret" because "Destiny" is a pretty meh album ending (and apparently would have been fine as an instrumental? xD).

Devin obviously does it on purpose, though (i.e. direct riff reusage and obvious word choices that stick out), while all the ones besides WHBWH/WS for Anathema are lyrical only and fairly oblique. i think the case has indeed been made for the snubs at Patterson on Judgement, and while i suppose the "cries on the wind"/"serenades" thing in "Temporary Peace" is there, the lot of them simply make me go, "who cares?" the problem with bringing up Devin is that all of his moments of this device are so well done. when the "Voices in the Fan" reference happens in "Color Your World," i don't shrug my shoulders, i go god damn! this obviously isn't required for the intersong referencing (and Devin does indeed have some very subtle references), but i hardly see why it's even worth doing if you don't do it well.

now that i think more about your point, the references in "Temporary Peace" kinda make some sense: given that it's a track about finding some kind of absolution despite the temporariness, it does seem well-used in the sense that the references 'make peace' with the old Anathema sound, on the first record where they seriously departed from the mostly-metal they'd been playing up to that point.

in actual news, you can preorder Pentecost III for the first time on vinyl through Peaceville/Burning Shed now (release is in July). i think i'm gonna grab one — Pentecost is an underappreciated gem from their metal days and, imo, a perfect (if slower!) predecessor/companion to The Silent Enigma.

edit: also, for musical references, the bridge in "Pitiless" is built from the chord progression in "Forgotten Hopes." does this really count when they are basically part of a suite, though? how do people see those opening 4 tracks of Judgement, anyway?
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:04:46 AM by seasonsinthesky »

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1032 on: June 02, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »
I'm pretty sure the "moment in time" reference in A Simple Mistake is intentional - it's like saying "we were depressed back then but not anymore". The funny thing is that Anathema have played both ASM and Shroud of False at the same show lots of times! :lol

And about Forgotten Hopes; I don't remember who Danny said it is about or directed at but at least it's not Duncan, as far as I remember.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: June 03, 2012, 01:44:41 AM »
Sorry for the double post but I forgot to post about this:
in actual news, you can preorder Pentecost III for the first time on vinyl through Peaceville/Burning Shed now (release is in July). i think i'm gonna grab one — Pentecost is an underappreciated gem from their metal days and, imo, a perfect (if slower!) predecessor/companion to The Silent Enigma.
Pentecost seems to be a "forgotten" release and it does have some good stuff - I don't know if this is a controversial opinion but the original We the Gods beats the Falling Deeper remake 100-0 IMO. I do prefer the new Kingdom to the original one, though. Mine is Yours is a great song as well although the video is weird and Memento Mori is probably one of the heaviest Anathema songs ever. I guess P3 was left with so little attention due to the fact that its release was delayed so much (the reason being the merging between Peaceville and Music for Nations) and by the time they finally put it out Darren had been fired already and a few months later they released The Silent Enigma which took away the attention from Pentecost.
edit: also, for musical references, the bridge in "Pitiless" is built from the chord progression in "Forgotten Hopes." does this really count when they are basically part of a suite, though? how do people see those opening 4 tracks of Judgement, anyway?
At least I consider them a suite although Deep and Forgotten Hopes work well on their own as well; it's the flow between them and the fact that Anathema have played those 4 songs back-to-back live that makes me think they're like one series of songs.

Offline redfish71

« Reply #1034 on: June 24, 2012, 05:34:22 AM »
could someone please explain the song meaning of Lightning Song.  I want to use it for something and want to make sure it is appropriate for the situation.  thanks!

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1035 on: June 24, 2012, 12:36:36 PM »
superficially, it seems to me it about a person that has found total peace at night during a thunderstorm and is in awe of the beauty that surrounds us on the earth.  The only lines I am struggling with are "I shed no tears, for you my dear".  Not quite sure how that fits.
Winger would be better!

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1036 on: June 24, 2012, 01:51:35 PM »
If you want to use it for something, you should be the one interpreting it, not us.  :) I think the meaning would be different to different people, and what really matters is what you think it means.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline redfish71

« Reply #1037 on: June 24, 2012, 05:37:30 PM »
It seems to me that it means that there is a love for someone and that someone doesnt realize it (or will not accept it) and if they would open their eyes they could see how beautiful their world would be if they would just let that person in. 

how far am i off?

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1038 on: June 24, 2012, 06:56:12 PM »
sounds good to me
Winger would be better!

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #1039 on: June 24, 2012, 08:25:24 PM »
I think it's basically about someone realizing their place in the world and finding their own inner peace. They realize that the world, despite all its treacheries and evils, is still a beautiful, wonderful place. They come to terms with life and find their own joy. This is well-represented by the image of lightning; as, lightning in itself can be a destructive, powerful, terrible thing-- just like our world-- but, even then lightning is still beautiful. As is our world.

The song is definitely being told to someone else who is listening, and the narrator urges the listener to open up their mind and see the world for what it really is -- a wonderful place. The narrator has come to understand that there's no more need to fear, to cry, or be pessimistic. The narrator has literally and figuratively "seen the light," if you will.

It's a beautiful song, one of my favorites they've ever written.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1040 on: June 25, 2012, 02:33:13 AM »
Bought WS and was totally blown away by the beauty of it. Still hasn't left my player since.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline John94

« Reply #1041 on: June 25, 2012, 12:38:44 PM »
I also got Weather Systems the other day (I have all post-doom metal albums now) and my word is it beautiful. I have never felt so touched by music as I have been by The Lost Child and Internal Landscapes. Awesome. Absolutely fantastic.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1042 on: June 25, 2012, 02:48:58 PM »
Finally bought the new album yesterday.

HOLY CRAP

Amazing album, around as good as WHBWH, hard to know whether I'll slightly prefer it in the long run, but the quality is very close!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline John94

« Reply #1043 on: June 25, 2012, 03:00:17 PM »
I love listening to the guys speaking too. Watching some interviews with Vincent and it feels like someone I know is talking to me, maybe it's just cause we're from the same city, but still, I feel like I can relate to the band more.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1044 on: June 27, 2012, 07:29:05 PM »
it's probably just me, but I always feel like they are about to break into "Don't Fear the Reaper" during the chorus of "Deep"
Winger would be better!

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #1045 on: June 28, 2012, 12:56:26 AM »
it's probably just me, but I always feel like they are about to break into "Don't Fear the Reaper" during the chorus of "Deep"

Shit, can't unhear

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1046 on: June 28, 2012, 09:08:50 AM »
heh, I know!  It's crazy.
Winger would be better!

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #1047 on: July 01, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »
God this new album is fucking incredible. I've listened to each track 50 times on average, and i'm still not bored of listening to it.

One of the best albums ever made, IMO. And I do prefer it to WHBWH but it's taken a while to say that.

Album of the year by a wide margin, IMO.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline Siberian Khatru

« Reply #1048 on: July 01, 2012, 09:51:18 AM »
Def AOTY for me.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1049 on: July 01, 2012, 10:24:43 AM »
Top20 so far this year.