Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271149 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Anathema
« Reply #980 on: May 19, 2012, 06:59:10 PM »
Speaking of Internal Landscapes, where does the clip about near death experiences come from? Was that in an interview or something? Definitely something that attracted my attention to Anathema, both of the most recent albums.

"Life is not the opposite of death. Death is the opposite of birth, life is eternal."
 :'( :'(
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #981 on: May 19, 2012, 07:58:04 PM »
Its an interview with Joe Geraci from 1981 according to the liner notes. I'm curious what the source on that is too, if it was from some documentary or something.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #982 on: May 19, 2012, 08:34:27 PM »
I don't remember where I got the link from, but it was from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S6U01qU7Ho&t

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #983 on: May 19, 2012, 08:49:13 PM »
I don't remember where I got the link from, but it was from this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S6U01qU7Ho&t

Thanks man! Very interesting stuff, NDE's.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #984 on: May 19, 2012, 09:14:55 PM »
Hey and Danny even commented on that video, that's so cool! :D

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #985 on: May 20, 2012, 07:55:23 PM »
Eternity is a flawed yet incredible album. Radiance is epic from the 3:12 mark to the end of the match. It's incredible. And that ending.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #986 on: May 20, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »
Finally I got a chance to listen the Weather Systems which I found not good enough. Their music clearly starting to softer and softer. It sounds like WHBWH but new musics, that's all. Same vocal tone, same musical way.

It's good in its own but comparing to the previous albums it's so low in my list. This album gives positive energy somewhat. Vocals are restful just like the others. There is nothing special about arrangements. They are mostly alike.

My favoruite songs are: Internal Landscapes, Sunlight and Untouchable Pt 1 and 2.
One of the Cavanaghs (forgot if it was Danny or Vinny) said in an interview that their next album is going to be heavier. I like the softer style of WS a lot but I'm glad that they're not going to keep going in the same direction.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #987 on: May 20, 2012, 08:15:41 PM »
I'm just listening to Eternity for the first time, now that I've had time to digest WS and WHBWH.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #988 on: May 20, 2012, 08:34:36 PM »
Eternity is a flawed yet incredible album. Radiance is epic from the 3:12 mark to the end of the match. It's incredible. And that ending.
agreed on all counts. Eternity's definitely got career highlights (the title track suite, "Angelica," and i quite like the re-recording of "Sleepless" that was a bonus track), but also career lowlights (i cannot stand their cover of "Hope," and otherwise there are some real energy suckers placed poorly throughout). i would argue it was Duncan Patterson's last stand, as all the songs i dislike on Alternative 4 were written by him (with the exception of the title track, which i quite like).

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #989 on: May 21, 2012, 01:29:11 AM »
Finally I got a chance to listen the Weather Systems which I found not good enough. Their music clearly starting to softer and softer. It sounds like WHBWH but new musics, that's all. Same vocal tone, same musical way.

It's good in its own but comparing to the previous albums it's so low in my list. This album gives positive energy somewhat. Vocals are restful just like the others. There is nothing special about arrangements. They are mostly alike.

My favoruite songs are: Internal Landscapes, Sunlight and Untouchable Pt 1 and 2.
One of the Cavanaghs (forgot if it was Danny or Vinny) said in an interview that their next album is going to be heavier. I like the softer style of WS a lot but I'm glad that they're not going to keep going in the same direction.

Vinny said it was gonna be heavier, Danny said its gonna be more electronic, along the lines of "The Storm Before the Calm"

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #990 on: May 21, 2012, 02:13:59 AM »
I have mixed feelings about Eternity: it does have some truly great songs (Angelica, Far Away, Eternity suite, Suicide Veil) but there are also some songs I'm not keen on (Radiance, Hope). It's like a transition album from the death/doom era to the atmospheric rock era and it seems that the guys weren't sure what to do when they made the album: the guitars are still tuned down to B like on the earlier albums, but the songs don't need that much heaviness - it's like they tried to make an atmospheric album while keeping the heavy edge, but IMO they didn't completely succeed in that. The muddy production and Vinny's unrefined vocals don't help either and I think the acoustic versions of the songs (Far Away and Eternity 3 on the special edition and Angelica on Hindsight) do them more justice.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #991 on: May 21, 2012, 02:16:01 AM »
I think Eternity is pretty great. I would rank both The Silent Enigma and Alternative 4 higher, but still a great album.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #992 on: May 21, 2012, 08:16:15 AM »
Had the new album for about a week but still haven't had time to listen to it... Great to see the positive reactions because I really liked the last one.

« Reply #993 on: May 21, 2012, 09:35:33 AM »
Eternity's got some cool stuff on it and I actually like the cover of Hope. But yeah, I think Alternative 4 and Judgement are pretty much the pinnacle of the old Anathema. I want to post this interview with Duncan that I came across recently:
https://autumnsphere.blogspot.com/2012/01/interview-with-duncan-patterson.html?

Danny said on the Anathema forums that he appreciates Duncan's perspective, but in my opinion, he comes off as very condescending to the abilities of the other band members. I'm not going to deny that he's a great songwriter, and that he was the workhorse of Anathema for quite some time. But when you start acting like the band is running off of your fumes, you're just going to look like a douche.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:14:21 AM by MondayMorningLunatic »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #994 on: May 21, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
He might have a point about how it used to be during the Eternity/Alternative 4 days, since he was the primary writer back then. But since he left, I think the band has done pretty awesome. So, it's not like they're struggling. I do hope that Vinny and John gets to write more for future albums though. I love Danny's writing, but if I have to say something negative about Weather Systems, I would say that some of the songs are pretty similar in terms of ideas/sound/structures, and a little more John/Vinny in the blend would make it more interesting.

« Reply #995 on: May 21, 2012, 10:10:56 AM »
Yeah, John and Vincent are brilliant songwriters as well. Re-Connect and Get Off, Get Out are two of my favorites.

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #996 on: May 21, 2012, 11:05:22 AM »
I can't see the comparison of WS and WHBWH at all. WS sounds vastly different to me - the only thing connecting them is that they are both 'happy', unlike previous albums. The musical content is very distinctly different between them.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #997 on: May 21, 2012, 12:56:58 PM »
I can't see the comparison of WS and WHBWH at all. WS sounds vastly different to me - the only thing connecting them is that they are both 'happy', unlike previous albums. The musical content is very distinctly different between them.

Well, both album's musical way is mostly alike. The feeling can be changed, since WS is happy and WHBWH is not but energetic. Same vocal, same guitar tones, same arrangements. But I can say this album is a bit heavier.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #998 on: May 21, 2012, 01:49:14 PM »
WS is waay more organic sounding with the acoustics, piano, orchestra and whatnot

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #999 on: May 22, 2012, 12:56:09 AM »
Anyway, I want to post this interview with Duncan that I came across recently:
https://autumnsphere.blogspot.com/2012/01/interview-with-duncan-patterson.html?

Danny said on the Anathema forums that he appreciates Duncan's perspective, but in my opinion, he comes off as very condescending to the abilities of the other band members. I'm not going to deny that he's a great songwriter, and that he was the workhorse of Anathema for quite some time. But when you start acting like the band is running off of your fumes, you're just going to look like a douche.
Duncan may sound condescending but at least he's not a douche like his successor Dave Pybus was - just read these comments from Danny: https://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net//news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=2656
Quote from: Danny Cavanagh
Dave is a little weasel (to quote a member of CRADLE OF FILTH). who used ANATHEMA completely for his own ends. He spent 5 (five!) days in the studio during the entire time of the A Fine Day To Exit sessions (3 months altogether) he only did this for his own advantage, and he was really pissed off that he didn't get the same publishing royalties (songwriter's money) as the rest of the band, even though he stopped Duncan being paid, even though he hated us anyway, he never wanted Les to join the band, he never really liked any of the songs from the band (he pretended to like Judgement), he refused to write songs or become truly involved in the process, he would spread sh.t about ANATHEMA on the net, pretendind to be Vinny in the chat room on occasion! And he constantly complained about being in a band with bastards! And to top all this off, Vinny was begging him not to leave (at first), and didn't even want his own brother Jamie (genuine, talented, understanding bloke) to play in the band (at first, he has understood since then). Some people have no clue about what has actually been happening, and this includes some band members!

Danny has also said that Pybus was ashamed of Anyone, Anywhere and said it was just an attempt to write a sad song with fake emotions, which is sad IMO because I think AA is a good song although it's not honest. I guess the band (or at least some members) feel that way too since they played it a lot on the 2009 tour.

« Reply #1000 on: May 22, 2012, 01:46:57 AM »
Wow. I knew there was some tension with Pybus but I didn't know it was that bad. Serves him right that he ended up in Cradle Of Filth. It seems like Anathema was destined to be a nepotistic band. Anyone outside of the Cavanagh/Douglas families is bad luck.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1001 on: May 22, 2012, 01:49:28 AM »
I've always been a bit surprised over the fact that Jamie hasn't been a full time member. They really have a nice thing going on, the three brothers are pretty close, and that is a nice foundation to build something on.
Sure there are examples when brothers end up acting like jerks (*cough* Oasis) but I hardly doubt any of the Cavanagh's would backstab each other.

« Reply #1002 on: May 22, 2012, 01:55:43 AM »
I agree. I think Jamie and the bass in general could be a little more utilized. But I'm nitpicking as usual. I've got to stop being so hard on Anathema because they're probably my favorite band at the moment!

I would actually have a hard time being in a band with family members. I don't know why, but something about that dynamic would be uncomfortable for me.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1003 on: May 22, 2012, 08:37:30 AM »
Picked up WHBWH yesterday.  I've been through it once.  Didn't quite hit me as hard as Weather Systems, but I'll definitely have to give it a few more spins to dig deeper into it.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1004 on: May 22, 2012, 09:13:25 AM »
I've always been a bit surprised over the fact that Jamie hasn't been a full time member. They really have a nice thing going on, the three brothers are pretty close, and that is a nice foundation to build something on.
Sure there are examples when brothers end up acting like jerks (*cough* Oasis) but I hardly doubt any of the Cavanagh's would backstab each other.
Jamie has been an official member, at least until this year when he suddenly stopped appearing in promotional photos and only played bass on one song on WS. I remember Vincent saying in some intie that they felt they didn't need any other guys in the studio except himself, Danny and John (and Lee for the female vox)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1005 on: May 22, 2012, 09:43:42 AM »
Well if Jamie doesn't want to write songs or so, that's cool, but I still think he should get to play bass on the songs.  :P (which wasn't the case on WS as you said)

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #1006 on: May 22, 2012, 10:56:53 AM »

Well, both album's musical way is mostly alike. The feeling can be changed, since WS is happy and WHBWH is not but energetic. Same vocal, same guitar tones, same arrangements. But I can say this album is a bit heavier.

I completely disagree. WS has a totally new feel where everything is a lot more immediate and in your face - lots of warm acoustic guitars and in your face melodies. WHBWH is much more of a slow burning atmospheric sort of album.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1007 on: May 22, 2012, 12:30:00 PM »
I've listened to WHBWH twice now, not sure if I am going to buy any more of their discs if the back catalog is less and less like Weather Systems.  From what I understand they get heavier and darker the further back you go, is that right?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1008 on: May 22, 2012, 01:01:06 PM »
Having just now looked over their Wiki page I never realized before how fucked up the band's history was.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1009 on: May 22, 2012, 01:09:00 PM »
I've listened to WHBWH twice now, not sure if I am going to buy any more of their discs if the back catalog is less and less like Weather Systems.  From what I understand they get heavier and darker the further back you go, is that right?

The first album, "Serenades" is a mix of Doom/Death with harsh vocals, the second, "The Silent Enigma" is still doom, but first album Vinny sings on so it's a bit more melodic. After that I wouldn't say that they have done any metal albums, the metal-guitars sorta drop a bit with each album, and while they are still a bit present on "Eternity" (the third album), there's not much of them. I would say that the rest of the albums are similar to WHBWH and WS in terms of heaviness, they aren't really more heavy, so it's the same kind of proginess, but lyrically and emotionally the stuff is more dark and sad, instead of uplifting and happy.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #1010 on: May 22, 2012, 01:10:43 PM »

Pretty much, but even though its on the complete other end of the musical spectrum, albums like Judgement and Alternative 4 are such masterpieces that you can't
ignore them. If you're not in the mood for more dark but atmospheric stuff, fair enough, but they're too good to ignore altogether

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #1011 on: May 25, 2012, 04:30:36 AM »

FUCK WHAT I SAID!

This album grows amazingly. Just can't stop listening it. Their best work from their atmospheric progressive era.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1012 on: May 25, 2012, 06:22:31 AM »

FUCK WHAT I SAID!

This album grows amazingly. Just can't stop listening it. Their best work from their atmospheric progressive era.

I totally agree. When I first listened to WS, I didn't like it at, but over a few more listens it has become my album of the year. Its rare that an album grows so signficantly, and I'm glad it does.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: May 25, 2012, 01:20:20 PM »
I have gone back to Weather Systems several times.  WHBWH has not really compelled me to listen more.  I admit, though, that I have bought a TON of music lately that is competing with these for attention.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1014 on: May 25, 2012, 01:45:38 PM »
Just ordered a combo set of (Judgement, a fine day to exit and natural disaster) so I can't wait for that to arrive.

I've gotten a lot of mileage out of WS, WHBWH and FD, so I'm really really excited to start working my way backwards.