Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 271382 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: Anathema
« Reply #945 on: May 04, 2012, 02:49:28 PM »
The lyrics really draw me in, I cannot imagine enjoying the music as much if the lyrics were replaced with some mediocre lines.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #946 on: May 06, 2012, 12:15:10 PM »
Late to the party, but these guys were submitted in my roulette and after four listens to the whole WHBWH album I feel confident in saying: Anathema are amazing. I'll have to purchase this album soonish, maybe even on vinyl since it would probably feel great in that medium.

What should I go for next? Weather Systems?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #947 on: May 06, 2012, 12:22:01 PM »
Late to the party, but these guys were submitted in my roulette and after four listens to the whole WHBWH album I feel confident in saying: Anathema are amazing. I'll have to purchase this album soonish, maybe even on vinyl since it would probably feel great in that medium.

What should I go for next? Weather Systems?

Weather Systems is like WHBWH v2.0, and by that I mean similar sounding. Positive and uplifting, sort of a "warm" feel. If you love WHBWH, you will most likely enjoy Weather Systems.
The older albums are just as good IMO, but they are a bit different. More depressive and darker lyrics, but still sort of Progressive without really being Progressive. (if that makes sense) Judgement is another album I highly recommend, most fans consider it the best album they've made.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #948 on: May 06, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »
Finally got Weather Systems in the mail yesterday.  After one listen, I'd say it does feel like WHBWH 2.0.  Maybe not quite as good, but definitely has a pleasant, warm feel to it and I'm excited to get to know the songs better.

Then start looking at their discography from before WHBWH.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #949 on: May 06, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
Umm I just saw theres a 5.1 edition of WHBWH, I might prefer that to the vinyl. I will check availability and prices for both formats and decide, and then I'll try WS and Judgement.

Thanks!

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: May 06, 2012, 01:03:22 PM »
imo, the next logical step after WHBWH/WS is actually A Fine Day to Exit. Judgement is a pretty different monster from what they do now (though it certainly isn't alien at all, unlike The Silent Enigma and Serenades).

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #951 on: May 06, 2012, 01:08:54 PM »
What about A Natural Disaster? A Fine Day to Exit is probably more similar to WHBWH and WS, but working backwards should probably work.

Also, while I haven't quite digested Serenades (apart from Sleepless), I must say that The Silent Enigma is amazing, and every Anathema-fan should at least check it out.

Offline Pockets17red

• Unofficially Official Prog Archivist
  • If you don't like it, right up yours!
« Reply #952 on: May 06, 2012, 01:10:09 PM »
Umm I just saw theres a 5.1 edition of WHBWH, I might prefer that to the vinyl. I will check availability and prices for both formats and decide, and then I'll try WS and Judgement.

Thanks!
5.1 version of WHBWH is available here. Cheapest place to buy it and this is the label's shop too!
https://www.theomegaorder.com/ANATHEMA-Were-Here-Because-Were-Here-Special-Edition
Keep on turning, Keep on turning, Turning around, Spinning around, round, round, round, round, round, round, round, round...

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #953 on: May 06, 2012, 01:51:48 PM »
I was at the concert in Amsterdam too. It was incredible, save for a few things: the sound not being up to par during openers Untouchables Pt1&2, and a few f-ups by their drummer (no disrespect!). I saw them last year also with John Douglas ofcourse, but I don't remember any bad drumming from that gig.. this time it was a lot more noticeable. Especially on 'Internal Landscapes', he couldn't grasp the timing so they had to start over again. Nonetheless, the band was tight as hell on their pre-WS songs.

Highlights:

Storm Before the Calm
A Simple Mistake
Universal
The Lost Child
The Beginning and the End
Fragile Dreams
A Natural Disaster

I'm just listing a couple of standouts.. but just look at those songs. Jeebus, they really might be the best band in the world while being quite awkward on a technical level (for a prog-associated band). The songs and the energy is just so good.. it doesn't matter if someone misses a drum hit. The intention's there, and the gig sounded amazing. Love this band forever. Weather Systems is amazing.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #954 on: May 06, 2012, 02:02:59 PM »
That's unfortunate about the drumming, because I absolutely loved the drum work on the WS songs, especially Lightning Song and Sunlight.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #955 on: May 06, 2012, 02:06:07 PM »
Perhaps it's just the fact that they haven't played the new songs much yet? It will probably work better once they get more used to them.

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #956 on: May 06, 2012, 02:55:39 PM »
Did they have one drummer playing all the songs at the show? On Weather Systems, they have a bunch of different band members playing drums for different songs.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Offline FretMuppet

• DAIM that looks good!
« Reply #957 on: May 07, 2012, 02:58:43 AM »
Did they have one drummer playing all the songs at the show? On Weather Systems, they have a bunch of different band members playing drums for different songs.

Yeah John Douglas is the only drummer for the shows. I don't know why they kept changing musicians for Weather Systems, the same goes for the bassist. Jamie tours with them and he played on one song on the album, but its also strange how he wasn't in the promo pics they put up couple of months ago

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #958 on: May 07, 2012, 03:20:27 AM »

Yeah John Douglas is the only drummer for the shows. I don't know why they kept changing musicians for Weather Systems, the same goes for the bassist. Jamie tours with them and he played on one song on the album, but its also strange how he wasn't in the promo pics they put up couple of months ago
And in the Weather Systems booklet they thank their "live musicians" and Jamie is one of them.

Finland seems to love Anathema - Weather Systems went #15 on the charts and I've read two 5/5 reviews and one with 10/10 points! ;D

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #959 on: May 07, 2012, 03:22:28 AM »

Thanks!
5.1 version of WHBWH is available here. Cheapest place to buy it and this is the label's shop too!
https://www.theomegaorder.com/ANATHEMA-Were-Here-Because-Were-Here-Special-Edition

Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know that site. I ordered that special edition, can't wait until it gets here and I can listen to it in sweet wilsonesque 5.1 surround.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #960 on: May 07, 2012, 07:49:11 AM »
In general I prefer hi-res 5.1 over vinyl, but I got the vinyl of the new album because it came in a super cheap bundle during The Omega Order's sale.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #961 on: May 08, 2012, 04:41:25 AM »
SEPTEMBER
22-09-2012    Roman Ampitheater, Plovdiv, BULGARIA    Buy Tickets

This is why I'm excited about it if you've missed the post earlier.
Oh yeah. It is happening. Tickets 19$-35$, nice.

This is going to be amazing.

Offline TVC 15

• I was bored before I even began
« Reply #962 on: May 10, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »
Okay, I'm sold.  Listening to WHBWH on Spotify and am enjoying the emotional highs and lows this album brings.  The hooks and vocal harmonies are crazy good.  This stuff reminds me of some of Enchant's slower, more contemplative moments too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #963 on: May 11, 2012, 01:29:07 AM »
If Anathema aren't releasing a Gothenburg-date this fall soon (since they have with Oslo and two in Finland) I might just poke my eyes out with a fork. Oh the horror.  :\

« Reply #964 on: May 11, 2012, 02:07:56 AM »
Apparently the producer Crister Andre-Cederberg played most of the bass. It's weird that they're choosing to use session musicians. I guess we'll never really know the logistics of this whole thing. The band members live all over Europe, so that might have something to do with it.

Also, ALTERNATIVE 4 is freakin' incredible. Beautiful music. The lyrics are pure poetry. I overlooked this album for way too long.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 09:02:45 AM by MondayMorningLunatic »

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #965 on: May 11, 2012, 03:15:53 PM »
Alternative 4 is amazing indeed :)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: May 12, 2012, 02:40:28 AM »
Yes, it is! :tup As much as I like all Anathema stuff, A4 is just pure perfection.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #967 on: May 12, 2012, 11:34:15 AM »
I love Alternative 4 but I think Duncan Patterson is a little overrated (I'm not familiar with anything else he's done so it may be a bit unfair to call him overrated). He is a great songwriter but my favorite tracks are the 3 that Danny wrote - Fragile Dreams, Regret, and Inner Silence.
I love the Pink Floyd and Bad Religion covers on the reissue.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #968 on: May 12, 2012, 01:11:17 PM »
I love Alternative 4 but I think Duncan Patterson is a little overrated (I'm not familiar with anything else he's done so it may be a bit unfair to call him overrated). He is a great songwriter but my favorite tracks are the 3 that Danny wrote - Fragile Dreams, Regret, and Inner Silence.
I love the Pink Floyd and Bad Religion covers on the reissue.

agreed, i actually find the majority of the album pretty lackluster, save those Danny-written songs and the title track. the album mix also drives me up the wall (as a general thing).

and i hate the covers! i suppose they are well done for what they are, but "Your Possible Pasts" is absolutely terrible.

« Reply #969 on: May 12, 2012, 01:46:53 PM »

Those three tunes are definitely highlights, but Empty and Lost Control are amazing as well. I don't think it's fair to call him overrated because he's pretty obscure.

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #970 on: May 12, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »

Those three tunes are definitely highlights, but Empty and Lost Control are amazing as well. I don't think it's fair to call him overrated because he's pretty obscure.
I guess overrated isn't the right word to use but a lot of fans seem to think that he's a god and Anathema sucks without him.

Lost Control and the title track are my favorites of his.

« Reply #971 on: May 12, 2012, 02:41:12 PM »
I guess overrated isn't the right word to use but a lot of fans seem to think that he's a god and Anathema sucks without him.

I've only encountered one fan like that, but yeah, it tends to happen, especially if the band was at a creative peak.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #972 on: May 12, 2012, 06:24:10 PM »
Fortunately that was nowhere near their creative peak.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #973 on: May 12, 2012, 09:15:20 PM »
Bought the album this past Monday, I've had it on my ipod awhile longer, but it's such a great album to drive around town to.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #974 on: May 13, 2012, 01:27:37 AM »
I agree that those 3 songs Danny wrote are great, but Lost Control is my favorite Anathema song and Empty, Feel and the title-track are very good too. I also have all the Antimatter albums and Duncan has written some good stuff on those records too (for example Line of Fire, Relapse, Reality Clash and Flowers), although some of his compositions tend to drag on too long and TBH I prefer Mick Moss' songs.

I've only encountered one fan like that, but yeah, it tends to happen, especially if the band was at a creative peak.
Yeah, I guess it's like the situation with DT and Kevin Moore. However, I think the amount of newer Anathema fans who ignore Duncan's impact on the band is a bit bigger so it's not like he's THAT overrated. Alternative 4 is my favorite Anathema record and while Anathema haven't made an album as excellent since then (though Judgement and WHBWH come pretty close), they have managed to continue strong and had Duncan not left, we wouldn't have Antimatter so it was the best for both parties.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #975 on: May 13, 2012, 01:52:04 AM »
Patterson also wrote many of the songs on Eternity, which is also an amazing album. Personally I think he added a lot to Anathema, but I don't think him leaving was all bad. I don't think Anathema has gotten worse or anything, he wrote good songs back on Eternity and Alternative 4, when he left Danny and Vincent started writing more, and we all know how good they are at writing songs now. So it's all good.  :hat

Eternity and The Silent Enigma should get more love, amazing albums.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #976 on: May 13, 2012, 02:12:54 AM »
I have their latest two, what album should I get next? I don't really care about what style of music it is or if it sounds like those two :p

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #977 on: May 13, 2012, 02:31:23 AM »
Judgement and Alternative 4 seem to be the most popular pre-WHBWH albums, they're also my 2 favorite Anathema records. A Natural Disaster is generally well-liked too, although it's not one of my favorites. But of course, if you want some quality death/doom metal, you could give The Silent Enigma a listen! ;)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #978 on: May 13, 2012, 02:31:31 AM »
I have their latest two, what album should I get next? I don't really care about what style of music it is or if it sounds like those two :p

A Fine Day to Exit is probably their closest one to WHBWH and WS, it also has a sort of "summer"-feel to it, possibly due to the cover of a beach. Others would maybe say Judgement or A Natural Disaster, they are slightly darker lyric-wise and music-wise, but still very much Anathema.

Online SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #979 on: May 19, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Finally I got a chance to listen the Weather Systems which I found not good enough. Their music clearly starting to softer and softer. It sounds like WHBWH but new musics, that's all. Same vocal tone, same musical way.

It's good in its own but comparing to the previous albums it's so low in my list. This album gives positive energy somewhat. Vocals are restful just like the others. There is nothing special about arrangements. They are mostly alike.

My favoruite songs are: Internal Landscapes, Sunlight and Untouchable Pt 1 and 2.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.