Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 266814 times)

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
Re: Anathema
« Reply #560 on: August 20, 2011, 09:25:05 AM »
I'm quite the Anathema-collector myself, the only "official" releases I can think of that I still need would be: Crestfallen EP, Resonance (1 and 2) and A Moment in Time (DVD).
Crestfallen is ok, but I totally understand why they left those songs off Serenades, they are heavier and not as good (although And I Lust makes me :metal). Everwake is beautiful, though. I have the release which features Pentecost III on the same disc; I don't get it why Peaceville decided to include the 7" versions of Crestfallen and They Die instead of their respective versions from the original Crestfallen EP, the quality is horrible. The only DVD I have is A Vision of a Dying Embrace. Looking at the tracklistings of the 2 Resonance compilations, they don't look worth buying. Apart from Horses (which is 1 minute long) and the original version of Lovelorn Rhapsody, I have all those songs. Maybe someone who doesn't own the reissues of the first 4 albums could find them worth buying.

BTW, am I the only one here who seriously enjoys Serenades?

Offline Liberation

« Reply #561 on: August 20, 2011, 09:28:42 AM »
I still need to listen to the first three, but when they played Sleepless and A Dying Wish live, I enjoyed it a lot and I think I'm definitely going to like the early albums too.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #562 on: August 20, 2011, 10:15:24 AM »
The Silent Enigma and Eternity are two fantastic albums, but I'm still not that hot for Serenades.
Sleepless is one of their best songs, but the rest is kinda.. good for its genre, but not that enjoyable for me.

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #563 on: August 20, 2011, 11:20:03 AM »
So have we discussed the song from Falling Deeper that Kscope released as a digital download yet? It's really good.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #564 on: August 20, 2011, 08:49:36 PM »
I'm really starting to get into Wings of God. I used to... not really like it, now it's really growing on me. Especially the ending part. I can already imagine seeing it as an amazing live closer.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #565 on: August 20, 2011, 08:51:22 PM »
Wings of God is awesome. It relates to my life so much.

Well, almost everything Anathema have written relates to my life.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #566 on: August 21, 2011, 12:31:38 AM »
So have we discussed the song from Falling Deeper that Kscope released as a digital download yet? It's really good.
Kingdom? Yeah, I like it! Drastically different, though. I had a hard time recognising any melody from the original version at first. The original was 9½ minutes long and drags on a little so it's good that this version is much shorter. Most bands would just change the arrangement or play the song as it was originally, but I like how Anathema had the guts to do something totally different! :tup
I still need to listen to the first three, but when they played Sleepless and A Dying Wish live, I enjoyed it a lot and I think I'm definitely going to like the early albums too.
I'm sure you'll enjoy The Silent Enigma and Eternity, don't know about Serenades; Sleepless is the most melodic song on the album (not counting the short interludes) and the rest are much heavier. But if you're used to death/doom you'll probably like it too.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #567 on: August 21, 2011, 06:12:10 AM »
Well the thing with doom metal is that it's a genre I've always been interested in but never really got myself to explore it properly. I'm definitely used to very dark and depressive music (I was borderline obsessed with Katatonia for most of 2010), and extreme metal is nothing new for me either (I was listening a lot to the new Decapitated album last week). I'm simply not sure if I'll like them more than any of the later albums, not because of heaviness as it is (I like both very heavy and very calm music... depends), but simply because they've matured quite a lot since then in their songwriting. I'll see. ;)

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #568 on: August 21, 2011, 06:36:41 AM »
TSE and Etenity (plus a few songs on Serenades) have a plenty of calm moments so there's not only heavy riffing all over. Danny's melodic signature leads can also be heard on all the three albums. While I consider myself a doom metal fan, I think the holy trinity of Anathema is Alternative 4, Judgement and WHBWH.

EDIT: Samples from Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005HACBG4/ref=sr_1_album_1_rd?ie=UTF8&child=B005HACCJ0&qid=1313930841&sr=1-1
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 06:48:49 AM by ? »

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #569 on: August 22, 2011, 09:51:03 AM »
I think the holy trinity of Anathema is Alternative 4, Judgement and WHBWH.

Yeah definitely this.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #570 on: August 22, 2011, 10:26:18 AM »
when they played A Dying Wish live, I enjoyed it a lot

everyone unsure about the first few Anathema albums needs to hear that song! it's fairly indicative of their approach to metal in general and it's very clearly one of the best, most classic songs they've ever written — it would be a pity for any Anathema fan not to know what the song sounds like on TSE, at least.

also, Falling Deeper's release has been pushed back to Sept. 12 according to an email i got from Burning Shed (applies to the CD and vinyl too).

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #571 on: August 23, 2011, 03:25:13 AM »
Here in Finland A Dramatic Turn of Events and Falling Deeper will be released on the same date so I have 2 albums from great bands to buy that day! :metal

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #572 on: August 31, 2011, 06:45:55 AM »
Anyone listened to Falling Deeper yet? I have yet to aquire it but it's getting a lot of praise. Can't wait to listen to it (and don't worry, I'll buy it as soon as I get back in the Netherlands  ;)).

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #573 on: August 31, 2011, 06:49:11 AM »
I'll be checking out when I return from classes today. I've heard very good things.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #574 on: August 31, 2011, 06:50:35 AM »
Anyone listened to Falling Deeper yet? I have yet to aquire it but it's getting a lot of praise. Can't wait to listen to it (and don't worry, I'll buy it as soon as I get back in the Netherlands  ;)).

Didn't think it was out for another week or two, but I'll check it out!

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #575 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:23 AM »

Didn't think it was out for another week or two, but I'll check it out!
I'm not sure if it's actually legally out.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #576 on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:05 AM »
It's supposed to be released next Monday.
I AM A GUY

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: August 31, 2011, 06:56:54 AM »
Officially it's released on the 10th I think.
But I have it now, gonna listen to it tonight.  :)

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #578 on: August 31, 2011, 07:04:12 AM »
I have very crappy internet over here so I have to wait way too long to get it :(. Going to take a walk while listening to it when it's done though :).

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #579 on: August 31, 2011, 07:17:54 AM »
Apart from Horses (which is 1 minute long) and the original version of Lovelorn Rhapsody, I have all those songs. Maybe someone who doesn't own the reissues of the first 4 albums could find them worth buying.

"Horses" is actually the quiet track before "666" on Pentecost III (hidden after the last song) - unless they removed the hidden tracks, you should have it on the Crestfallen/Pentecost release!

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #580 on: August 31, 2011, 08:59:37 AM »
I like Falling Deeper. There isn't that much going on in the music but it's very nice to listen to. I think I prefer Hindsight but this is great as well. Old Anathema + New Anathema = Awesome Anathema.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #581 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
Apart from Horses (which is 1 minute long) and the original version of Lovelorn Rhapsody, I have all those songs. Maybe someone who doesn't own the reissues of the first 4 albums could find them worth buying.

"Horses" is actually the quiet track before "666" on Pentecost III (hidden after the last song) - unless they removed the hidden tracks, you should have it on the Crestfallen/Pentecost release!
Horses isn't on the version I have - there's no hidden track after Memento Mori and the hidden track after They Die is 666, which I have on the Serenades reissue too (as part of Nailed to the Cross).

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #582 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:06 AM »
Listening to Falling Deeper now.
I AM A GUY

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #583 on: August 31, 2011, 12:31:40 PM »
First listen through and I really enjoyed it a lot. This reminds me a lot of the orchestral versions of Dreaming Light and Universal that I got on 7inch vinyl.
I AM A GUY

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #584 on: August 31, 2011, 01:07:27 PM »
I am not familiar with Anathema's older material... I want to get the new album, but I'm not sure if I should become familiar with the older versions before listening to the orchestrated recordings or not.

Oh, and I'm finishing up We're Here Because We're Here now, absolutely love this album and everytime I hear it I remember how amazing they were opening for Blackfield.  :heart

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #585 on: August 31, 2011, 01:54:28 PM »
Falling Deeper was amazing!
Gotta listen to it more. :)

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #586 on: August 31, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »
Love this band. Superb.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #587 on: August 31, 2011, 03:22:59 PM »
Anyone have the setlist for the acoustic Anathema shows? I was going through my records today and noticed I didn't have any of the setlists for the Blackfield/Anathema show I saw back in May.  :-\

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #588 on: August 31, 2011, 03:50:17 PM »
Thin Air
Deep
Angels Walk Among Us
Lost Control
Fragile Dreams
One Last Goodbye
Flying

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2011/irving-plaza-new-york-ny-3d3d14f.html
I AM A GUY

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #589 on: August 31, 2011, 04:44:36 PM »
Thanks, Ryan  :tup

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #590 on: August 31, 2011, 05:47:35 PM »
Falling Deeper is fantastic. It's like the eyeballs of Jesus.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #591 on: August 31, 2011, 06:33:11 PM »

Offline Liberation

« Reply #592 on: August 31, 2011, 06:55:41 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a more amazing comparison than milking a cow...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #593 on: August 31, 2011, 11:42:04 PM »
I'm not sure if this is a more amazing comparison than milking a cow...

To be honest, most of the songs are from Pentecost and Crestfallen, and even though I have them on my computer, I never listen to them.
So this is a really good way of getting people more interested in the early catalog, besides... the versions are REALLY different, especially Sunset of Age.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #594 on: August 31, 2011, 11:43:01 PM »
Listened with Zack earlier... pretty good, but I'm definitely gonna have to give it a few more listens before I fully appreciate it.