Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 266865 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: Anathema
« Reply #2625 on: May 24, 2022, 08:30:32 AM »

Distant Satellites to their early material is a pretty big jump, especially if you're not a death doom fan.  They're kind of like Katatonia in that it's really better just to work an album at a time backwards or forwards.  More than a few albums in any direction is going to be a more drastic change in sound.  They're closer to Ulver than they are to AC/DC.

Yep, agree with this. What's your favorite era/album in their discography?

I like the 10s material best.  Weather Systems, The Optimist, and We're Here Because We're Here are my top three.  The Vincent/Lee vocal interplay is a good part of it, not too many bands have a dynamic like that.  I enjoy the early material as well, but I don't have as much time invested into it yet.  It's weird, I was aware of them back in the mid-00s when I was really into Katatonia, Amorphis, Porcupine Tree and such, but I heard some of their material and it didn't connect with me at the time.  It wasn't until a couple years after WS came out that I heard it, it really clicked and unlocked the earlier albums as well. 

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2626 on: May 24, 2022, 05:29:43 PM »
Because I'm weird, the only Anathema albums I've listened to are A Natural Disaster, A Fine Day To Exit and Hindsight, but I've enjoyed all three. "Underworld" from AFDTE is *chef's kiss*.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #2627 on: May 24, 2022, 05:44:29 PM »

Distant Satellites to their early material is a pretty big jump, especially if you're not a death doom fan.  They're kind of like Katatonia in that it's really better just to work an album at a time backwards or forwards.  More than a few albums in any direction is going to be a more drastic change in sound.  They're closer to Ulver than they are to AC/DC.

Yep, agree with this. What's your favorite era/album in their discography?

I like the 10s material best.  Weather Systems, The Optimist, and We're Here Because We're Here are my top three.  The Vincent/Lee vocal interplay is a good part of it, not too many bands have a dynamic like that.  I enjoy the early material as well, but I don't have as much time invested into it yet.  It's weird, I was aware of them back in the mid-00s when I was really into Katatonia, Amorphis, Porcupine Tree and such, but I heard some of their material and it didn't connect with me at the time.  It wasn't until a couple years after WS came out that I heard it, it really clicked and unlocked the earlier albums as well.

I sort of became a fan around A Silent Enigma, but I truly started paying attention with Eternity. In a way, that's their most Floyd-ian album. I'm not really into Pink Floyd, actually, but funnily enough I like how their influence finds its way in the sound of certain bands. And Eternity has such a unique, dreamy, and at times almost desperate mood. Very cool album. Then came Alternative 4, and it was an instant favorite. Fragile Dreams, Empty, Lost Control, Inner Silence, Regret...I could mention them all. Very bleak-sounding, but beautiful too. As I said before, I always felt the follow-up Judgement suffered from losing Duncan Patterson as a songwriter, but at the same time it saw amazing growth from the Cavanagh brothers. Vincent really came into his own as a vocalist - and Deep is one of my favorite Anathema songs, period.

I was super-glad when they came back after the "hiatus" - and while I didn't connect with the more recent albums quite the same way as the mid-to-late 90s ones, their quality is undeniable. Weather Systems, especially, is fantastic, and the two "Untouchables" are outstanding songs.   

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2628 on: May 31, 2022, 06:11:16 PM »
This might be a bit of controversial comment but…

If Daniel Cavanagh is an actual p*dophile or otherwise some variant of child sex offender, I think I’d have to completely boycott his music, as much as I do like it.

Again, those are just rumors and allegations, but they came up frequently enough in my search for what happened behind the band breakup and idk… the whole thing left an awful taste in my mouth. Does anyone else have a take on this? Or information?

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2629 on: May 31, 2022, 08:18:35 PM »
I kind of hate to think about it, because then you have to hold everyone to that standard, and we lose David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, and countless others. 

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2630 on: May 31, 2022, 09:01:09 PM »
I kind of hate to think about it, because then you have to hold everyone to that standard, and we lose David Bowie, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Marvin Gaye, and countless others. 

Are you implying that all of those musicians are child molesters?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2631 on: June 01, 2022, 06:01:25 AM »
I would suggest that they weren't asking for ID from all those groupies they shagged. The stories are pretty well documented.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2632 on: June 01, 2022, 07:08:42 AM »
Yea especially Jimmy Page.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2633 on: June 01, 2022, 09:27:38 AM »
This might be a bit of controversial comment but…

If Daniel Cavanagh is an actual p*dophile or otherwise some variant of child sex offender, I think I’d have to completely boycott his music, as much as I do like it.

Again, those are just rumors and allegations, but they came up frequently enough in my search for what happened behind the band breakup and idk… the whole thing left an awful taste in my mouth. Does anyone else have a take on this? Or information?
Not any other information than what you have (and to keep us on the same page, I'm referring to the story that keeps popping up on Reddit, that he was in the house of someone vaguely relevant to the story, had some kind of mental break with reality and some kind of phone was found). Either there's some sort of credible allegation that's being investigated right now - just judging by how the band has folded, has been completely silent and their store even emptied out - or there's someone who hates him so much they don't mind spreading allegations about that.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 01:47:02 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2634 on: June 01, 2022, 10:21:14 AM »

Are you implying that all of those musicians are child molesters?

It's a tricky issue to discuss, because there's a lot of nuance to it and various levels of offense, depending upon which artist and which encounter we're talking about, whereas historically when it involves unknowns we just dump everyone in the same "sex offender" bin regardless of context.  But if you dig into the history of rock and roll there's all kinds of sexual abuse of power going on with varying levels of age difference and arguable levels of consent to the degree it can exist.  Even back then some of it was an issue, but it was largely swept under the rug or not paid nearly as much attention to as it is in the current social media era.  And the public discussion around these sort of issues is a challenge because so much gets litigated by public mob based on hearsay rather than by courts. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2635 on: June 01, 2022, 10:37:24 AM »
The 'separate the art from the artist' topic is interesting I think. Personally I can still enjoy the art in most cases but I also understand the people who feel it's now "tainted". My take on it is that if you really want to be that person to take a stand against someone doing something you disagree with, you could easily end up taking a stand against most things. That's not to say every musician has a skeleton in their closet the size of being a creeper or abuser or something like that, but many of the all time greats have some questionable sides to them.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2636 on: June 01, 2022, 01:55:32 PM »
And just FYI, you can use Reveddit to get to deleted Reddit threads with comments removed by the moderator, here's links to two threads that to my recollection contain most of what's been flying around about him:

https://www.reveddit.com/v/Anathema/comments/n75izm/danny_has_announced_his_new_solo_album_cellar/

https://www.reveddit.com/v/Anathema/comments/mm8p91/why_did_they_break_up/

Tried to make Unddit work for comments deleted by users too, but it just doesn't work on my end for some reason.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2637 on: June 10, 2022, 12:51:23 PM »
I listened to their two last albums for the first time in a while today, and while both of them aren't too great imo, I definitely prefer The Optimist over Distant Satellites. That album could have been one of their best with a stronger second half; as-is I love the atmosphere and more minimalist approach for the first half, but the album fails to sustain any real momentum after the first few songs. Distant Satellites on the other hand I find to be a big slog that doesn't get really good until the last two tracks.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2638 on: June 10, 2022, 01:15:33 PM »
For The Optimist the first half bowled me over right away.  The second half took a number of listens to really sink in.  It's still the weaker half, but I think it might grow on you.  Distant Satellites is a similar story, though only "Ariel" impressed me right out of the gate.  But I like the album more every time I play it, though the last three tracks are still the low point, so we seem to have opposite feelings about it. 

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2639 on: June 10, 2022, 02:23:08 PM »
I think I prefer The Optimist to Distant Satellites as well though I really love the lost song trilogy and the title track is pretty good as well. The Optimist did feel like a nice mesh of like A Fine Day to Exit and newer Anathema though.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2640 on: June 10, 2022, 04:24:11 PM »
I'm in the minority. I love Distant Satellites. Tied with Weather Systems as my favourite album of theirs. It's a very neat album. No surprises (bar some electronic beats) but it all works for me, front to back. The title track is one of my favourite things ever.

The Optimist is good. Took a lot of getting into for me. But i don't like it as much as the few preceding records. More of an emphasis on mood rather than songs, I feel.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2641 on: June 11, 2022, 08:16:20 AM »
The Optimist was a huge disappointment for me, I'd probably prefer to listen to any other Anathema album, other than the debut I think. I just couldn't connect with it and found it pretty uninteresting for some reason.

Distant Satellites is great, though I definitely prefer the first 6 tracks to the last few. I don't enjoy it quite as much as the 2 albums that came before it, but 'Anathema' is one of my favourite songs of theirs.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2642 on: June 11, 2022, 01:04:44 PM »
I love distant satellites and listen to it often. Next to weather systems, its my favorite album of theirs.

I have listed to The Optimist maybe twice total. It is not for me

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2643 on: June 11, 2022, 01:19:40 PM »
I love distant satellites and listen to it often. Next to weather systems, its my favorite album of theirs.

I actually couldn't imagine just listening to something twice and giving up. I think a minimum of like 5 listens is almost needed and sometimes maybe coming back after a while (like few months) can help with fresh perspective. If anything for me, the albums that click the fastest (like 1 or 2 listens) are usually the ones who fall off the most because there's not as much to find once you listen to the album 10-15 times.  :lol

But I can imagine it's different for others but I know at least for myself some of my favorite albums of all time were not albums I loved after 2 listens.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2644 on: June 11, 2022, 07:43:26 PM »
If it's a band I love most of their other work, absolutely, I periodically return to albums I didn't care for as much to see if time and perspective has changed my opinion, and sometimes it has.  But for bands I'm not into something has to catch my ear on the first listen to give it another spin, there's too much other great music out there. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2645 on: June 11, 2022, 08:13:50 PM »

I actually couldn't imagine just listening to something twice and giving up. I think a minimum of like 5 listens is almost needed and sometimes maybe coming back after a while (like few months) can help with fresh perspective. If anything for me, the albums that click the fastest (like 1 or 2 listens) are usually the ones who fall off the most because there's not as much to find once you listen to the album 10-15 times.  :lol

But I can imagine it's different for others but I know at least for myself some of my favorite albums of all time were not albums I loved after 2 listens.

Sometimes it'll take me years to understand/get into an album, even a band.

Decided to listen to The Optimist, and am getting into it more now. What I am enjoying is the continuation of the theme left off from A Fine Day to Exit. It's a great album to have went out on, it includes everything they have done and is like all those styles of their past albums in one album.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2646 on: September 08, 2022, 10:07:53 AM »
Just want to pour one out for such an incredible band. Been listening to them alot lately, and I hope one day they can find their way back.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2647 on: September 09, 2022, 07:05:59 AM »
Just want to pour one out for such an incredible band. Been listening to them alot lately, and I hope one day they can find their way back.

:heart

Online Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #2648 on: March 11, 2023, 07:59:39 PM »
...I don't think a single post their page has made in the last year has inspired any kind of confidence in me for this album. "THIS IS NOT A SCAM" and having to turn off comments... eeeeeh. People must have been complaining.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2649 on: March 11, 2023, 09:26:22 PM »
If you have to say it isn't a scam...

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2650 on: March 12, 2023, 12:33:23 AM »
If they actually did finish this album I wouldn't be opposed ordering it and checking it out, but I've had bad feelings about this campaign since it started and I wouldn't want to contribute not knowing the money is going to good use. "It's not a scam, source: trust me bro", comments being off, the updates going from "we're close to getting it done" to "we need more money" to "it's soon done we promise". I also remember Daniel selling off most of his musical equipment at the start of the pandemic and that combined with the rumors that this is a scam and the money is being drained into something else definitely has me on the skeptical side.

It's a shame because I love Anathema and I wish we still had them around.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2651 on: March 12, 2023, 01:16:16 AM »
From memory this is Danny without Vince and Lee, right? Meh.

I'm still surprised and irritated to have heard absolutely nothing more from Vincent on the breakup.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2652 on: March 12, 2023, 05:59:44 AM »

I'm still surprised and irritated to have heard absolutely nothing more from Vincent on the breakup.

It's Danny and Daniel Cardoso I think. Vincent is working on his own side project called The_Radicant or something I believe going into more of an electronic direction. Sucks we haven't heard much from the others I agree, but might be one of those situations where they think it's better to just forget and move on.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #2653 on: March 12, 2023, 06:25:17 AM »
Lee needs her own project.  She's too good to just be a backing vocalist with the occasional lead on the last few albums. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2654 on: March 12, 2023, 05:25:55 PM »

It's Danny and Daniel Cardoso I think. Vincent is working on his own side project called The_Radicant or something I believe going into more of an electronic direction. Sucks we haven't heard much from the others I agree, but might be one of those situations where they think it's better to just forget and move on.

Yeah, guess so.. Must be really shitty for everyone involved.

Lee needs her own project.  She's too good to just be a backing vocalist with the occasional lead on the last few albums. 

Agree so much. Wonderful voice.

Online Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2655 on: March 12, 2023, 06:56:51 PM »
I would love to see a Lee solo project. Does anyone know if she has sang in any other groups since Anathema went on ice?

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #2656 on: March 13, 2023, 02:28:08 PM »
If you have to say it isn't a scam...

That just seems like feelings of guilt and shame coming through to me. You can also find this when you go to the Facebook post and expand the article:

PLEASE donate if you can - these donations are all we have had to live on since 2020, and they are paying for music production and a potentially life saving medical treatment program.

The bill is big so please help if you can.
Let’s get to that total if possible!

I'm pretty sure they'd rather not be relying on donations if they could choose.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2657 on: March 13, 2023, 02:57:45 PM »
Is there any more detail?

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2658 on: March 14, 2023, 01:22:03 AM »
It would feel less like a scam if they were more open about the whole process of what's happening and also if Danny hadn't sold off most of his music equipment at the start of the pandemic. That's why I haven't donated myself because there hasn't really been any signs of progress in this, there's whispers of Danny sinking all the money into legal fees and you combine that with him selling all his guitars and it just feels 'off'.

If this was a proper gofundme campaign type situation where you could see different packages and stuff, I would consider chipping in but this current situation feels a bit like "Give us your money and trust me it will go to an album".

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2659 on: March 14, 2023, 03:03:02 AM »
I wouldn't donate to him until there's some real clarity around the band and this new project. It smells.