Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 269668 times)

Offline abydos

• DT.net
Re: Anathema
« Reply #2520 on: September 02, 2019, 01:56:33 AM »
I'm not a fan of their last 3 albums and I think they've gotten worse with each release since A Natural Disaster. So.. they've lost their standing as one of my favourite bands, even though I still like their old stuff. I found myself listening to Duncan's The Eternity Suite a lot more than anything by Anathema in the last couple of years.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2521 on: September 02, 2019, 06:30:48 AM »
Probably a metalhead.

The proggers would say they've gotten better this decade, the metalheads would say they've gotten worse. Genre is the dividing line. I've tried them, but they seem to be a bit of a one-trick pony (slow burning atmosphere, then euphoric release), and except some moments, it generally doesn't grab me.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #2522 on: September 04, 2019, 06:46:41 AM »
In the same sentence I mentioned that I'm enjoying Patterson's The Eternity Suite far more than anything they've released. Unless that's metal :>

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2523 on: September 08, 2019, 01:12:28 AM »

I had a hard time recognizing Danny at first :eek He looks so... old?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2524 on: October 08, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »
ANATHEMA announce 10th Anniversary ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here’ Tour for March 2020

See Vincent Cavanagh annouce the dates here:
 https://youtu.be/uKJAg9K607M

Tickets available from: anathemamusic.com
Fri 6th March – St Luke’s Church, Glasgow, UK
Sat 7th March – Palladium, London, UK
Sun 8th March – Le Trianon, Paris, FRANCE
Mon 9th March – Antipode, Rennes, FRANCE
Tues 10th March – Santana27, Bilbao, SPAIN
Weds 11th March – Cineteatro Capitolio, Lisbon, PORTUGAL
Fri 13th March – Apolo, Barcelona, SPAIN
Sat 14th March – BUT, Madrid, SPAIN
Mon 16th March – X-Tra, Zurich, SWITZERLAND
Weds 18th March – Akvarium Klub, Budapest, HUNGARY
Thurs 19th March – Simm City, Vienna, AUSTRIA
Fri 20th March – Gruenspan, Hamburg, GERMANY
Sat 21st March – Prognosis Festival, Eindhoven, NETHERLANDS
Sun 22nd March – Live Music Hall, Cologne, GERMANY
Mon 23rd March – Longhorn, Stuttgart, GERMANY
Tues 24th March – Astra, Berlin, GERMANY

Anathema will be celebrating the 10th Anniversary of their iconic release ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here,’ by taking the album on the road for a series of exclusive shows throughout Europe in March 2020.

Upon its release, it was their first collection of new material in six years and they exploded back into action with a multi-coloured, multi-layered work of unbridled emotion, passion and intensity which saw it awarded Classic Rock’s ‘Prog Album of the Year’ as well as lauded by Kerrang, Metal Hammer and many more.

Talking about the tour Danny Cavanagh says; “We never usually do anniversary tours of particular albums, but in the case of ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here,’ which is the album that began our rebirth, we feel this is something we want to do. What I love about this album and that time in our journey is the life affirming qualities in the music. It’s an album of hope, reflection, of summer, of an intense uplifting emotion. We will do all we can to augment the trip with a never before seen light and video show to enhance the experience. Join us in the dreaming light.”

Talking further, Vincent Cavanagh says; “Well, putting aside my incredulity that it has been almost 10 years, I’m really into the idea of this tour from a creative perspective. How will we play these songs live now? How will some songs have evolved in the meantime? What can we do with the visual production? It’s a great record to revisit as the themes are still as honest and personal as they’ve always been but there are more shafts of light that cut through the darkness. The plan is to do two sets: the ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here’ album in full and then a second set comprising the best stuff from the other records and maybe a brand new song or two.. Hope to see you there!”

The Award winning band have released 11 studio albums of fearless and uncompromising beauty. Ever since their debut ‘Serenades’ in 1993, they’ve refused to be pigeonholed and have continuously evolved;  all the way up to their most recent studio album, 2017s conceptual masterstroke ‘The Optimist’,  which revealed some of the darkest, most challenging music they ever put their name to, as well as a series of live albums and compilations. ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here’ has become an integral part of the bands journey so far, and next March gives the band and fans the chance to revisit the album of shimmering majesty and fully immmerse themselves in the live experience.

The band recently announced that they have signed to the Mascot Label Group and will be working on a new album to come in 2020.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2525 on: October 08, 2019, 11:23:50 AM »
Wished they played close to me. Their best album together with Judgement so would love to hear some of the tracks I haven't already heard live. :p

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2526 on: October 08, 2019, 03:40:30 PM »
Can't wait to see this. ;D
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #2527 on: October 09, 2019, 02:18:16 AM »
Anathema are one of those bands that are just OK - I buy their albums as they're quite nice background music while I'm doing other stuff, but there's nothing there that grabs me enough to want to go see them live. They're somehow not as good as they think they are, but they are very good. If that makes sense.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2528 on: January 03, 2020, 07:13:47 PM »
Thanks to the Album of the Decade thread, I heard this band for the first time this week.  I checked out some of Weather Systems on YT and it sounded good, so I bought it from iTunes, and have listened to it a few times so far. Good stuff.  I don't want to try to get into too many albums at once, so I will live with this album for a bit before going for a second, but any and all recommendations are welcome.   :coolio :hat

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2529 on: January 03, 2020, 07:15:39 PM »
Weather Systems is the best, but you can't go wrong with We're Here Because We're Here or Judgement either
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2530 on: January 03, 2020, 07:44:46 PM »
Yeah, I'd go with WHBWH if you like the Weather Systems style, and with Judgement if you want the opposite, something dark, a little heavier, but still quite emotional.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2531 on: January 03, 2020, 08:30:03 PM »
Definitely Weather Systems

and then WHBWH and Distant satellites (which has some electronic elements) 

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2532 on: January 03, 2020, 09:52:37 PM »
Distant Satellites seems to get overlooked. While I would rank it below WHBWH and Weather Systems, it's really like splitting hairs.

I also feel The Optimist was not far off (I know others didn't).

"Endless Ways" is gorgeous.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2533 on: January 04, 2020, 03:32:17 AM »
WHBWH is their best!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2534 on: January 04, 2020, 04:31:46 AM »
Distant Satellites seems to get overlooked. While I would rank it below WHBWH and Weather Systems, it's really like splitting hairs.

I also feel The Optimist was not far off (I know others didn't).

"Endless Ways" is gorgeous.

I really love Distant Satellites. It was probably a one off thing to play around with the electronic side of things, but I loved what that brought to the music.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2535 on: January 04, 2020, 07:32:40 AM »
Thanks for the recommendations, peeps.  Very helpful. :tup :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2536 on: January 16, 2020, 08:07:54 PM »
ANATHEMA announce support acts for 10th Anniversary
‘We’re Here Because We’re Here’ Tour

Rendezvous Point + Masvidal 

Fri 6th March – St Luke’s Church, Glasgow, UK
Sat 7th March – Palladium, London, UK
Sun 8th March – Le Trianon, Paris, FRANCE
Mon 9th March – Antipode, Rennes, FRANCE
Tues 10th March – Santana27, Bilbao, SPAIN
Weds 11th March – Cineteatro Capitolio, Lisbon, PORTUGAL
Fri 13th March – Apolo, Barcelona, SPAIN
Sat 14th March – BUT, Madrid, SPAIN
Mon 16th March – X-Tra, Zurich, SWITZERLAND
Weds 18th March – Akvarium Klub, Budapest, HUNGARY
Thurs 19th March – Simm City, Vienna, AUSTRIA
Fri 20th March – Gruenspan, Hamburg, GERMANY
Sat 21st March – Prognosis Festival, Eindhoven, NETHERLANDS
Sun 22nd March – Live Music Hall, Cologne, GERMANY
Mon 23rd March – Longhorn, Stuttgart, GERMANY
Tues 24th March – Astra, Berlin, GERMANY

Anathema will be celebrating the 10th Anniversary of their iconic release ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here,’ by taking the album on the road for a series of exclusive shows throughout Europe in March. They have now announced the support acts for the tour with Rendezvous Point as main support and Masvidal opening up the proceedings.

The Nordic progressive metallers Rendezvous Point released their sophomore album ‘Universal Chaos’ to rave reviews last year and Masvidal is the solo vehicle for Paul Masvidal (Cynic/ Æon Spoke) who has recently recorded a trilogy of records, Mythical Human Vessel.

Talking about the tour Danny Cavanagh says; “We never usually do anniversary tours of particular albums, but in the case of ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here,’ which is the album that began our rebirth, we feel this is something we want to do. What I love about this album and that time in our journey is the life affirming qualities in the music. It’s an album of hope, reflection, of summer, of an intense uplifting emotion. We will do all we can to augment the trip with a never before seen light and video show to enhance the experience. Join us in the dreaming light.”

Talking further, Vincent Cavanagh says; “Well, putting aside my incredulity that it has been almost 10 years, I’m really into the idea of this tour from a creative perspective. How will we play these songs live now? How will some songs have evolved in the meantime? What can we do with the visual production? It’s a great record to revisit as the themes are still as honest and personal as they’ve always been but there are more shafts of light that cut through the darkness. The plan is to do two sets: the ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here’ album in full and then a second set comprising the best stuff from the other records and maybe a brand new song or two. Hope to see you there!”

Upon its release, ‘We’re Here Because We’re Here’ was their first collection of new material in six years and they exploded back into action with a multi-coloured, multi-layered work of unbridled emotion, passion and intensity which saw it awarded Classic Rock’s ‘Prog Album of the Year’ as well as lauded by Kerrang, Metal Hammer and many more. The album has become an integral part of the bands journey so far, and the shows in March gives the band and fans the chance to revisit the album of shimmering majesty and fully immmerse themselves in the live experience.

The band recently announced that they have signed to the Mascot Label Group and will be working on a new album to come in 2020.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #2537 on: January 17, 2020, 02:57:36 AM »
I hope the new album is also a kind of "rebirth". They did everything they could already in that style. They have a good support band. Rendezvous Point is very good. I still haven't checked out their latest album though. Baard Kolstad is in the band.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2538 on: January 17, 2020, 05:17:18 AM »
I hope the new album is also a kind of "rebirth". They did everything they could already in that style.

I kind of agree with this. I think the last album two albums had some elements that could lead to something different and it would be nice for them to use those elements and drive their music in new directions. They have been one of my favorite bands since I first came to know them so I think I'll enjoy the album either way.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2539 on: January 17, 2020, 06:18:57 AM »
I would have liked to see them explore the electronic side a little more, but the've probably moved passed that at this point.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2540 on: January 17, 2020, 06:39:54 AM »
That's one of the aspects I mentioned that I would like them to delve into a little more. I hope they haven't dismissed them already.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2541 on: January 18, 2020, 01:28:19 AM »
I have a feeling the next album might lean toward a little heavier. Just a hunch.

Offline Lowe2005

« Reply #2542 on: March 03, 2020, 06:12:13 AM »
I would have liked to see them explore the electronic side a little more, but the've probably moved passed that at this point.
Vincent and John are very keen on their electronic stuff, this part of their sound is probably here to stay in some form. They did a tour in 2018 where some songs were acoustic versions and some where billed as being 'ambient' versions - some of them worked better than others but I think the best way to tell would be from a studio recording rather than going in blind in a live setting. They tried Thin Air (the riff sounded really good on synth), Can't Let Go, Closer and Distant Satellites like that at the show I saw and iirc they tried The Lost Song Part 3 like that too elsewhere.

Offline roa71

« Reply #2543 on: March 03, 2020, 04:25:43 PM »
seeing them for the first time on Cruise to the Edge this year.  wonder if they will do the WHBWH on it.  interesting that it's not listed on the tour dates.  but, it would make the most sense to avoid rehearsing anything else..

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2544 on: March 08, 2020, 09:59:19 AM »
Was at the Palladium for this last night. Bit of a mixed bag, to be honest. WHBWH isn't great as a live set, imo. Dreaming Light, Simple Mistake and Universal were very good. Missed John Douglas in Everything. The stand in drummer did a really good job but didn't have that hard-hitting, insistent quality that drives the band with John. Danny was a bit scrappy, tho he has a lot to do, I guess. Felt a bit under-rehearsed. Vince was in great voice and was cool AF, I thought. Lee looked a little distracted but then she was on and off stage a lot. She didn't seem happy though.

The second set was much better with a mix of WS, AND, DS and TO. A Natural Disaster was a highlight. They seemed to have settled in by this point and there were some really beautiful moments with the whole theatre singing.

In summary, I had a good night but having seen the band three times now I'm not in a rush to go again. Looking forward to the next album which Danny talked about them currently writing twice.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2020, 10:31:22 AM by DoctorAction »

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #2545 on: September 22, 2020, 11:08:52 AM »
Anathema have gone on indefinite hiatus.

https://www.facebook.com/125049763628/posts/10158682760833629/

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2546 on: September 22, 2020, 11:11:28 AM »
Pretty sad to hear this.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2547 on: September 22, 2020, 11:12:55 AM »
Oooooof. That sucks.

And the really sad thing is we'll probably see more mid-sized bands forced to do the same thing if concerts don't come back soon enough.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #2548 on: September 22, 2020, 11:15:08 AM »
Bollocks, shit, fuck.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2549 on: September 22, 2020, 11:22:34 AM »
:(

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2550 on: September 22, 2020, 11:23:39 AM »
Damn, that sucks.

Didn't they sign with a new record label recently?

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2551 on: September 22, 2020, 11:51:06 AM »
My brother just told me about this. 2020 is really the worst year of them all. DAMMIT!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2552 on: September 22, 2020, 12:10:23 PM »
I'm not surprised but this does really suck.

Even if they never release anything new again, they made a lot of great music

Offline krands85

« Reply #2553 on: September 22, 2020, 12:28:53 PM »
Shit news :(
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: September 22, 2020, 12:55:00 PM »
Not really surprised, and glad I've caught them on The Optimist tour even if the gig itself wasn't great.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.