Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 270776 times)

Offline RandalGraves

Re: Anathema
« Reply #2205 on: October 26, 2015, 09:58:28 PM »
With that said, I read a bit about the band's history and am really excited to dive into their discography!
Awesome! ? did a discography thread of them a couple of weeks ago, so I recommend you give it a read  :tup

That is perfect! I was going to ask where I should jump to next, but it sounds the leg work has been done! Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2206 on: October 26, 2015, 10:40:01 PM »
I'd just recommend listening to their last album now, and then working your way backwards through their discography, with help of the thread  ;)

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2207 on: October 27, 2015, 05:00:55 AM »
I'd also recommend checkimg out the live performance of Untouchable Pt. 1, released yesterday from their upcoming DVD A Sort of Homecoming, if you haven't yet. I'd post the link if I wasn't on my phone and if it wasn't sp easy to find.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2208 on: October 27, 2015, 06:55:57 AM »
So, I've heard the band name Anathema thrown around every now and again. Frankly, I don't remember if I ever gave them a listen before.

So I see their name again for their upcoming live release and decide, "What the hell? I'll check out a song." I go to you YouTube, type in 'Anathema' and just click on the first video that comes up. Weather Systems complete album. Cool.

Now, I maybe run across a song that I get really emotionally attached to once a year. Maybe. The last song I was really into was Steven Wilson's The Raven That Refused to Sing. And the minute he starts singing in Untouchable Part I...I was just enamored. The harmonies were absolutely beautiful and the lyrics heart-wrenching. Since then (this was probably a week and a half ago), I've been obsessed with Untouchable Parts 1 and 2. The rest of the album is pretty damn great, although I haven't given the last 3 tracks many spins, as I'll inevitably just cycle back to the first two because I mostly listen to music in my car on the way to/from work.

With that said, I read a bit about the band's history and am really excited to dive into their discography!
:tup I'm similar with the emotional attachment thing. Anathema are such a unique band for me, they just evoke so much feeling in me that I don't get from any other bands tbh.

I'd also recommend checkimg out the live performance of Untouchable Pt. 1, released yesterday from their upcoming DVD A Sort of Homecoming, if you haven't yet. I'd post the link if I wasn't on my phone and if it wasn't sp easy to find.
Here
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #2209 on: October 27, 2015, 11:19:43 AM »
Thanks for the head's up, guys! That performance looks fantastic, as does the venue. I may have to trek out to the local CD shop to see if they'll have it. Speaking of...

My local shop has this in stock but it's PAL. Does anyone know if they did an NTSC release? I checked Burning Shed but that's PAL as well.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2210 on: October 27, 2015, 01:03:37 PM »
www.lasercd.com just put it out in stock

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2211 on: October 30, 2015, 03:05:26 PM »
Just picked it up

So very good, and the acoustics are incredible. Love this band  :heart

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2212 on: October 31, 2015, 05:25:00 AM »
I haven't gotten my copy yet, but just listening to a couple audio fragments on YouTube (trying not to spoil it for myself) it's sounds fantastic

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2213 on: November 09, 2015, 12:59:50 PM »
I was just reading up on Bam Margera from "Jackass," and I noticed he now has an Anathema tattoo across the front of his neck.  I don't picture him liking them, so it surprised me.  Here's a pic: https://www.instagram.com/p/8dfqG-Sg6H/?taken-by=bam__margera
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2214 on: November 14, 2015, 08:41:40 AM »
Just listened to A Sort of Homecoming and honestly it was a bit underwhelming. Not bad, but not as good as Universal was, and I feel like it was too scaled down for its own good. Some of the new versions, like Electricity or Temporary Peace were really nice, but some of the better new songs felt a bit under-developed kinda. Compared to what's probably the best progressive rock acoustic/unplugged live album 12:5, this didn't feel as magical or special. Still, enjoyable, but a lot of the songs just felt scaled down and the simplicity didn't really add anything to them.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2215 on: November 14, 2015, 09:02:29 AM »
Just listened to A Sort of Homecoming and honestly it was a bit underwhelming. Not bad, but not as good as Universal was, and I feel like it was too scaled down for its own good. Some of the new versions, like Electricity or Temporary Peace were really nice, but some of the better new songs felt a bit under-developed kinda. Compared to what's probably the best progressive rock acoustic/unplugged live album 12:5, this didn't feel as magical or special. Still, enjoyable, but a lot of the songs just felt scaled down and the simplicity didn't really add anything to them.

After a couple more listens, I totally agree.

The scaling back makes Some of the songs feel like shells of their former selves. They lose the power and oomph, which made me originally love them in the first place and I found myself actually just wanting to listening to the original songs.

Oh well. At the very least, the acoustics of that cavernous cathedral were cool/interesting.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2216 on: November 14, 2015, 10:04:41 AM »
Yeah I agree. Also, I don't "get" why this is a double album. It could have been neat if this was a single disc, maybe 60-70 minutes of acoustic/unplugged songs that were re-arranged and sounded drastically different and added new elements, but with most of the songs, they just sound the same but more hollow. You describe it well with the songs feeling like shells of their original versions.

For example, I think they should have thrown in some songs that are known for being more upbeat, slightly heavier and more electric guitar focused. That way, the acoustic/unplugged version is drastically different and they have more freedom to toy around. But when the setlist is almost entirely songs that are already ballads (or to the softer side of the band), the result just sounds like less full versions. The best part about songs like Thin Air or the Untouchables is the build-up and climax, and the richness of their sound. Scale them down to acoustic versions and they get less interesting.

Still, cred to them for including at least a few surprises (IMO) like Electricity and Temporary Peace. Personally I think it would be cool if they had altered the setlist even more. Instead of getting A Natural Disaster again, maybe do Harmonium or Flying? Maybe something from Judgement? One Last Goodbye or Forgotten Hopes would have been cool. Maybe instead of Fragile Dreams (which is always played), maybe throw in Regret or Lost Control for the surprise. I think as a complementary live release to Universal, this one doesn't bring enough differences to the table. The songs you really like doesn't sound AS good here, and there aren't enough changes in the setlist. Sure, some Distant Satellites songs, but overall.. meh.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2217 on: December 01, 2015, 11:17:37 PM »
Just passing by to remind you the greatness of Take Shelter. Bye.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2218 on: December 02, 2015, 04:24:16 PM »
Just passing by to remind you the greatness of Take Shelter. Bye.

Amazingly beautiful song.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2219 on: December 02, 2015, 05:20:13 PM »
I love love LOVE the new acoustic version of Dreaming Light. It's so enchanting. I love Lee  :heart ______  :heart

Also, I don't think it's fair to compare this show to Universal. They are entirely different concepts, with their unique charms. That being said, I would've loved in DVD one of their 'anthology' shows, in which they played their early stuff as well.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2220 on: December 18, 2015, 10:44:13 AM »
I'm listening to Falling Deeper for the first time and it's absolutely beautiful. Not only does it feature the beautiful Lee Douglas, but also the incomparable Anneke.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2221 on: December 27, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »

Bigger.

Hey folks, I'm admin at this prog page, and we started doing flowcharts to prog bands, like DT and Gazpacho. I commited to making an Anathema one because they're my favorite band. So, it's almost finished and I wanted to know what you think of it  :smiley:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2222 on: December 28, 2015, 12:08:14 PM »
I think you did a great job with it. It's so hard to label them because of their ever-changing sound and style. When it comes to them, there's always going to be at least one release of theirs that someone can appreciate. Not many bands can say that. Usually when bands find a sound they like, they usually stick with it, and it's usually to the point of monotony. It's either you like them or you hate them.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2223 on: January 26, 2016, 07:34:24 PM »
Thanks! I will publish it in a few days (and post the finished version here), but if any of you guys have any suggestions, they'll be more than welcome  :smiley:

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2224 on: January 27, 2016, 03:12:23 AM »
Thanks! I will publish it in a few days (and post the finished version here), but if any of you guys have any suggestions, they'll be more than welcome  :smiley:

You should include Danny's side project that he released, A Place To Be. Also, since they are such an ever-changing band as far as musicality, maybe include a couple of different starting points. Like metal fans can start at Serenades, lighter prog fans can start at We're Here Because We're Here, and that sort of thing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2225 on: January 27, 2016, 03:16:49 AM »
Guess I need to try out Weather Systems according to that chart then  :metal
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2226 on: January 27, 2016, 05:45:04 AM »

Go. Check it now!   :)

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2227 on: January 27, 2016, 06:33:09 AM »

Go. Check it now!   :)

This. Weather Systems is one of the best albums released in this millennium.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #2228 on: January 27, 2016, 06:58:01 AM »
Definitely going on the list, but I just don't have the time for music at the moment.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2229 on: January 27, 2016, 04:08:38 PM »
I find both WHBWH and WS massively overrated, but given how many people dig them, chances are you'll like them too. Personally, I've always been more of a fan of their darker stuff like Judgment and Alternative 4.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2230 on: January 28, 2016, 12:32:33 AM »
I probably do enjoy their older stuff more, but WHBWH definitely deserves the great reputation. Universal and Thin Air would both be in my top3 Anathema songs, but I wouldn't place anything from WS or DS THAT high.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2231 on: February 12, 2016, 06:05:58 PM »
So it's finally out! This is the final version  :smiley:

Bigger.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2232 on: February 13, 2016, 09:34:42 AM »
Awesome. I'm loving it. 

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2233 on: February 13, 2016, 10:26:57 AM »
It's a cool idea to make a flow chart and I enjoy reading them, but I still think it makes much more sense to start with the first album and just work through the discography that way. Alternatively, I guess I just don't think so much about these kinds of things, but I don't see why Judgement would be a better starting album than WHBWH or any other album. I say WHBWH because that's the first one I got into, not that I necessarily like it any more than Judgement or Eternity or even Serenades.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2234 on: February 13, 2016, 10:53:36 AM »
It's a cool idea to make a flow chart and I enjoy reading them, but I still think it makes much more sense to start with the first album and just work through the discography that way. Alternatively, I guess I just don't think so much about these kinds of things, but I don't see why Judgement would be a better starting album than WHBWH or any other album. I say WHBWH because that's the first one I got into, not that I necessarily like it any more than Judgement or Eternity or even Serenades.

You don't see a problem recommending a death-doom metal album for a band that has primarily played prog rock for 18 years?! Not to mention it's a little difficult for the vast majority of listeners to be open-minded and try any death metal at all.

It's the same as recommending people try Katatonia by starting with Dance of December Souls. For metalheads that listen to doom, sure, but not for anyone else.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2235 on: February 13, 2016, 10:58:15 AM »
I chose Judgement because it's the fan-favorite :P

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2236 on: February 13, 2016, 11:06:07 AM »

You don't see a problem recommending a death-doom metal album for a band that has primarily played prog rock for 18 years?! Not to mention it's a little difficult for the vast majority of listeners to be open-minded and try any death metal at all.

It's the same as recommending people try Katatonia by starting with Dance of December Souls. For metalheads that listen to doom, sure, but not for anyone else.

No, I don't see a problem recommending it. I'd just make sure to remind them that if they don't like it there will be a lot of other stuff later on that might be more their cup of tea. Let them make their own minds up.

And anyways, even if you're right about this problem, it could similarly be applied to Judgement. Not to the same degree, I know, but Anathema has changed a lot since Judgement came out.

As for Judgement being a fan favorite, that's a fair point. But it's really not that much more of a fan favorite than Alt. 4, WHBWH or WS, if at all.

ETA: And if they're not going to be open minded about these things, then why would I trying to recommend them new music in the first place?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2237 on: February 13, 2016, 11:16:09 AM »
While I agree A4 might be another good starting point, it's very depressive nature might turn off some newcomers, whereas Judgement is just sad and melancholic. And I've found that WHBWH and WS are fan favorites only on DTF, and I made the flowchart for another audience on FB, so starting with any of those albums wouldn't be my recommendation.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2238 on: February 13, 2016, 11:18:26 AM »
I would say Judgement is to Anathema what In Absentia was for PT. Not necessarily the best (even though Judgement is my personal favorite), but the ONE that fans really hold the highest. With both bands there's several albums fans hold really high though, so it's really no shame being in the shadow of one.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2239 on: February 13, 2016, 11:23:38 AM »
Judgement is definitely a worthy starting place and, overall, somewhere near the top of where I'd rank the albums.

I guess I just wanted to say that there are at least a couple other really good starting places, which has more to do with the great consistency of the discography.