Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 270874 times)

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
Re: Anathema
« Reply #2135 on: March 14, 2015, 12:27:27 PM »
That's great to hear! I'm absolutely biased on this, but I think WS is the single most perfect rock album ever. The emotional catharsis, the pure passion of the music, the beauty of the arrangements, this huge bright atmosphere, Vincent & Lee - I love every single bit of that album. And that's interesting 'cause it bored the shit out of me on the first listens :lol.

This, right here, what makes Anathema's three most recent albums so mindnumbingly boring for me. Anathema just don't do it well at all. They were the masters of the darker sound, going as far as doom metal, and their three most recent albums destroyed that completely.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2136 on: March 14, 2015, 01:48:05 PM »
I get that lots of people can't get into their new sound because of that - yeah, they had an amazing dark sound, and it'd be interesting if they returned to it somehow, but I can't help loving their new approach. Somehow, it strongly connects with me on a personal level. And considering your tastes, Scorp, I can see why you just can't stand it. What's your fav album by them, btw?

I'm pretty sure the whole fanbase was discussing this very thing when WHBWH was released :lol .

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2137 on: March 14, 2015, 02:01:44 PM »
My favourite albums are The Silent Enigma, Eternity, Judgement and Alternative 4. All of those are amazing.

Rereading my posts, I came across a little grouchy. I didn't want that, and I definitely don't want to create the impression that I think my musical taste is superior or anything. I truly wish I would be able to get WHBWH, WS and DS the way most of you seem to, because it's obvious that they really poured their souls into them, but they just don't work for me.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2138 on: March 14, 2015, 02:21:03 PM »
That's great to hear! I'm absolutely biased on this, but I think WS is the single most perfect rock album ever. The emotional catharsis, the pure passion of the music, the beauty of the arrangements, this huge bright atmosphere, Vincent & Lee - I love every single bit of that album.
Yes. Yes yes yes. All of this.

And that's interesting 'cause it bored the shit out of me on the first listens :lol.
But not this.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2139 on: March 14, 2015, 02:23:41 PM »
My favourite albums are The Silent Enigma, Eternity, Judgement and Alternative 4. All of those are amazing.

Rereading my posts, I came across a little grouchy. I didn't want that, and I definitely don't want to create the impression that I think my musical taste is superior or anything. I truly wish I would be able to get WHBWH, WS and DS the way most of you seem to, because it's obvious that they really poured their souls into them, but they just don't work for me.

You couldn't come across as grouchy and superior if you tried  ;)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: March 14, 2015, 03:10:02 PM »
And that's interesting 'cause it bored the shit out of me on the first listens :lol .
But not this.
I saw it on some top 2012 list back then, and gave it a spin, since I trusted the reviewer's taste. But I was far from impressed. Meh at best. I even had it on my mp3 player for several months, just to show it to people who may like it.

Until, on a waiting room in September 2013, I decided to give it a last chance. I had so much free time until it was my turn, so I just did it. And then, something clicked on me. Why the hell did I think it was dull and cheesy? It was amazing! It grew slowly but with consistency since, and now I can't get enough of it.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2141 on: March 14, 2015, 03:14:38 PM »

You couldn't come across as grouchy and superior if you tried  ;)

:heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2142 on: March 15, 2015, 11:19:30 PM »
Talking about WS, has anyone listened to the 5.1 mix? Is it anywhere good? And how about WHBWH and DS? SW was involved on those, so I'm pretty sure they sound delicious, but just want to know your opinions ;D .

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2143 on: April 08, 2015, 07:40:38 PM »
The first Resonance show was tonight. Setlist (https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2015/barba-negra-music-club-budapest-hungary-4bc8b3de.html) is pretty incredible. I couldn't be more happy with their choices for the older songs.

Eternity Suite, Kingdom, Under a Veil, Lovelorn Rhapsody and A Dying Wish in particular...  :hefdaddy

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2144 on: April 08, 2015, 08:43:54 PM »
holy fuck please tell me these are getting recorded

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2145 on: April 08, 2015, 08:49:55 PM »
Would be completely baffling if they weren't.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2146 on: April 09, 2015, 02:27:09 AM »
Holy shittttt, we need a DVD of that!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2147 on: April 09, 2015, 05:03:04 AM »
Lovelorn Rhapsody from last night - sounds damn heavy! :metal They also play a mash-up of the original version and the Falling Deeper arrangement of They Die at the end.

I had seen a video of Sleepless performed with Darren in 2009 and he didn't sound too great in it, but his vocals are a lot better here. I find it cool that they played the original Eternity Trilogy, because it ties in nicely with Duncan's Pledgemusic project, which is the orchestral Eternity Suite including the missing parts. :tup

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2148 on: April 09, 2015, 05:52:33 AM »
Pretty cool setlist.  :hat

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2149 on: April 09, 2015, 06:07:08 AM »
Lovelorn Rhapsody from last night - sounds damn heavy! :metal They also play a mash-up of the original version and the Falling Deeper arrangement of They Die at the end.

Thanks for that. So much intensity...

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2150 on: April 09, 2015, 06:42:02 AM »
Fuck,I gotta pick between seeing Anathema live or Slowdive. Thinking more towards Slowdive but i don't know...  :-\

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2151 on: April 09, 2015, 07:17:43 AM »
Fuck,I gotta pick between seeing Anathema live or Slowdive. Thinking more towards Slowdive but i don't know...  :-\

That's a tough one. I've seen both live and both were awesome. It's very hard to pick, is it Anathema on the Resonance tour? If so, then it could be cool because the setlist is awesome and you'll probably never see something like it again. But then again, Slowdive just recently reunited and while they are working on a new album, you never know how long reunions last. I'm very happy I got to see them last year, as they are the best shoegaze band IMO.

Talk about Sophie's choice.  :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2152 on: April 14, 2015, 12:04:28 PM »
It looks like the new remasters are out - at least on Spotify. Having gave them a quick listen, I'd say they all sound a bit better, clearer. But aside from the new track, I'm not sure if the difference with the older press is huge enough.

What do you think?

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #2153 on: April 18, 2015, 04:32:37 PM »
I bought the remastered AND yesterday on LP with bonus CD of the album.
LP is a single and not a double, so the sound will be squashed and not good quality.
Also no lyric sheet, just some liner notes from the band.
CD sounds pretty good though.

Offline comment

• Custom Title
  • What’s on your mind Facebook?
« Reply #2154 on: May 04, 2015, 07:30:27 PM »
Just became an Anathema fan this past year!  This band is incredible!  Glad to see they have a thread on here.
Signature

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2155 on: May 04, 2015, 07:44:31 PM »
Good comment- I agree! Have you listened through all their albums yet?

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #2156 on: May 05, 2015, 05:53:23 AM »
Not all of them.  I've gone through A Fine Day To Exit until present.  Their last three albums have impressed me the most and get the most air time with me.  Universal is awesome on DVD.
Signature

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: May 30, 2015, 11:41:05 PM »
So I was bored and made this flowchart into the band's discography. I you feel something should be changed, tell me so - I want it to be as useful as it can for everyone ;D .

I know, looks pretty ugly :lol . Wouldn't mind if someone wants to make a nice-looking version tho.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #2158 on: May 31, 2015, 01:21:11 PM »
Falling Deeper?

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: May 31, 2015, 04:31:08 PM »
I was considering adding a bracket for it, under the doom albums.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: May 31, 2015, 06:05:45 PM »
that makes no sense, though, since it sounds nothing like the doom albums from which the material is derived. i'd make an offshoot from Weather Systems for it with like "more piano" or something and then you can draw a long link to the doom stuff that way. also the same ought to be done for Hindsight off the AND/AFDTE side. i'd somehow draw a line between Eternity and A4 too, since the Floyd influence runs so strong across them and Judgement. if that can even work.

my only other suggestion is to place Pentecost III next to TSE, since they have the same style, and it's very, very different from the style on Crestfallen and Serenades (which are the only ones with growls, btw – Vince is just talking or yelling on TSE/P3!).

talk about a band that needed a chart, right?!

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #2161 on: June 18, 2015, 10:47:18 PM »
Internal Landscapes off Weather Systems is just awesome!  My favorite Anathema song.  Any favorite songs?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 10:58:49 PM by comment »
Signature

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2162 on: June 18, 2015, 11:23:57 PM »
Damn it's tough - they have so many amazing tunes. My top 5 would look like this:

1) Untouchable
2) The Lost Child
3) Fragile Dreams
4) Anathema
5) Pitiless

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2163 on: June 19, 2015, 12:27:24 AM »
There's an old thread in which several folks shared their top 20 or so, with writeups. You should resurect that and share your thoughts more in depth. I'd follow and surely do my own eventually

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #2164 on: June 20, 2015, 04:51:05 AM »
Cool, I'll see if I can find it.
Signature

Offline comment

• Custom Title
« Reply #2165 on: June 21, 2015, 09:22:01 PM »
There's an old thread in which several folks shared their top 20 or so, with writeups. You should resurect that and share your thoughts more in depth. I'd follow and surely do my own eventually

It's alive!  It's ALIVE Senecadawg2!  ...  29 pages in the archive.  😀
Signature

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2166 on: June 21, 2015, 10:08:36 PM »
Internal Landscapes off Weather Systems is just awesome!  My favorite Anathema song.  Any favorite songs?
That might be very well my favorite Anathema song also. I also have a soft spot for Ariel for some reason. My top 5 at the moment would look like this:

1. Internal Landscapes
2. Ariel
3. One Last Goodbye
4. Untouchable
5. Anathema

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: June 22, 2015, 08:56:24 PM »
I'm now watching Universal. I knew they were an excellent live band, but this is amazing - Dreaming Light had a killer performance by Vincent. And now Danny is blowing minds in The Storm Before the Calm :hefdaddy .

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2168 on: June 22, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
I need to get that concert on Blu-Ray somehow.

It took me 1 fucking hour to make a Favorite top 10 list and I think I fell short of the songs I like the most. This band is that good. Anathema's current Top 10 for me would be these, in no particular order:

-Ariel
-Universal
-Emotional Winter
-Internal Landscapes
-Dreaming Light
-The Lost Song, Part 2
-Far Away
-Violence
-A Natural Disaster
-Flying

Offline PolarizeMe

« Reply #2169 on: June 22, 2015, 10:42:26 PM »
I'm now watching Universal. I knew they were an excellent live band, but this is amazing - Dreaming Light had a killer performance by Vincent. And now Danny is blowing minds in The Storm Before the Calm :hefdaddy .
Yeah, Universal's an amazing live album/concert film. The amphitheater where they played at that show looks so amazing, and the band was on fire that night. Plus (on the BluRay version only), there's an awesome 5 song acoustic set from an earlier gig at the Union Chapel with two songs that weren't on the main feature.