Author Topic: Anathema  (Read 270995 times)

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Anathema
« Reply #2100 on: March 01, 2015, 11:02:27 AM »
Damn, that was strong. I think that's the best example of how emotional the band's music is :heart .

Just ordered Weather Systems for $3 in the local online store. Always wanted to give this band another try, and with this price I'm ready to do this. :tup
I hope you find them cheesy enough :neverusethis: .
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 12:30:12 PM by Sacul »

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2101 on: March 01, 2015, 12:22:22 PM »
That was beautiful
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #2102 on: March 02, 2015, 08:08:22 AM »
That OLG clip is pretty moving indeed...

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #2103 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:11 AM »
Damn I was at work and I had to discreetly wipe some tears away. Great video.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2104 on: March 05, 2015, 09:24:27 AM »
So Anathema is playing a few acoustic cathedral shows now and I believe the final one (in Liverpool) is being filmed for DVD/blu-ray release. Looking at the set lists from the shows so far, there are a couple songs that would be really neat to get on the DVD.

I doubt it will live up to the standard set by Universal (still sooo good, even after having watched it more than a dozen times), but I'm looking forward to seeing what they put together. Hopefully involving Lasse Hoile and hopefully available within the next year or so.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2105 on: March 05, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
In other news, Universal is still the best Anathema song. And it's up there among the best outros of all time for me. That piano.  :heart

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2106 on: March 05, 2015, 04:10:44 PM »
I don't use to watch recorded gigs, but Universal is so close to perfection it scares the shit out of me :hefdaddy . And the song is definitely the highlight of WHBWH and it's among the band's very best, but they have made so many masterpieces it's tough to choose just one.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2107 on: March 05, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »
WHBWH recently clicked for me. I still think WS and DS are better, but WHBWH is still excellent. I don't listen to much Porcupine Tree, but what I've heard, I get a PT vibe from WHBWH. I know Steven Wilson mixed the album, but did he have any influence on it?

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2108 on: March 05, 2015, 05:06:50 PM »
Besides his contributions to the production, I don't think SW was involved with WHBWH.

Speaking of which, I'd like to see him work on the mix for at least some of their next album. He only did You're Not Alone on DS, if I'm not mistaken.

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2109 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:02 PM »
Wikipedia says he mixed Take Shelter as well.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2110 on: March 05, 2015, 05:18:11 PM »
oh cool, I had no idea! Take Shelter, while initially not one of my favorites on the album, has become  one of my go-to tracks when I need an Anathema fix but don't have time for a full album. Love the way it climaxes.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #2111 on: March 05, 2015, 05:38:09 PM »
Take Shelter is the best song on Distant Satellites aside from the title track, if you ask me. I really wish more of that album was electronic, because I like those last two songs so much more than the rest of them.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2112 on: March 05, 2015, 05:56:22 PM »
WHBWH recently clicked for me. I still think WS and DS are better, but WHBWH is still excellent. I don't listen to much Porcupine Tree, but what I've heard, I get a PT vibe from WHBWH. I know Steven Wilson mixed the album, but did he have any influence on it?

he didn't write anything (like the Opeth contributions, for example), but it's very clear "Get Off, Get Out" was written in the PT style. i think the rest just sounds like an SW work because it's a prog rock album with his mixing, which is extremely recognizable ever since Deadwing. i think they also impacted him, as "Deform to Form a Star" smacks of "Dreaming Light," methinks.

i still haven't gotten into the last three tracks, despite quite enjoying the rest of WHBWH (especially the opening two!).

Offline 425

« Reply #2113 on: March 05, 2015, 11:06:05 PM »
Take Shelter is the best song on Distant Satellites aside from the title track, if you ask me. I really wish more of that album was electronic, because I like those last two songs so much more than the rest of them.

I don't know exactly how it would rank for me on the album, but Take Shelter is an amazing song. It's also one of my favorite song titles ever.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #2114 on: March 05, 2015, 11:57:03 PM »
Listened to Distant Satellites again after claiming I thought it had grown off of me... nope, still amazing. Just too many other things to listen to that I don't ever get around to it, I guess.

Offline jag66

« Reply #2115 on: March 06, 2015, 03:17:16 AM »
So Anathema is playing a few acoustic cathedral shows now and I believe the final one (in Liverpool) is being filmed for DVD/blu-ray release. Looking at the set lists from the shows so far, there are a couple songs that would be really neat to get on the DVD.

I doubt it will live up to the standard set by Universal (still sooo good, even after having watched it more than a dozen times), but I'm looking forward to seeing what they put together. Hopefully involving Lasse Hoile and hopefully available within the next year or so.

Went to the Leeds Cathedral show - If it's being filmed in Liverpool should be pretty awesome, some really neat versions of some of their songs. Trying to guess what was coming next based on a twitchy electronic drum beat was difficult.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2116 on: March 06, 2015, 05:57:16 AM »

he didn't write anything (like the Opeth contributions, for example), but it's very clear "Get Off, Get Out" was written in the PT style.
I can also hear some hints of PT in A Simple Mistake, especially in the verses and the heavy climax.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2117 on: March 06, 2015, 06:19:33 AM »
I feel like in general, Anathema since their "relaunch" in 2010 has been in the spirit of PT. I don't mean that in a bad way or that they are ripping off PT, but it's like they saw a few elements that made PT so popular, and managed to highlight those elements with their own music. Also, considering PT died with The Incident around 2009/2010, I also feel like Anathema has picked up their torch of being currently the best current prog band, at least in terms of the Kscope bunch.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2118 on: March 06, 2015, 06:22:02 AM »
Interesting, I don't really think re-launched Anathema has much at all in common with PT. Tonally I think they are very different. If anything I would have said that Anathema's older, darker material has a lot more in common with PT, even though the production style is quite different.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2119 on: March 08, 2015, 10:02:40 PM »
Picture posted by Lasse Hoile last night, from Liverpool Cathedral, where the dvd/blu-ray was filmed. Really looking forward to this.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2120 on: March 09, 2015, 03:38:37 AM »
The setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/anathema/2015/liverpool-anglican-cathedral-liverpool-england-6bcbf29e.html

Danny is such a perfectionist :lol They could've done some overdubs on Untouchable Pt. 1 afterwards and played an older song instead of a second rendition.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #2121 on: March 09, 2015, 06:34:15 AM »
Electricity!  :omg: :hefdaddy

Offline jag66

« Reply #2122 on: March 09, 2015, 06:51:02 AM »
Electricity!  :omg: :hefdaddy

Yep, and it was amazing (in Leeds that is)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2123 on: March 09, 2015, 10:38:55 AM »
Is there anything special about the gig? Because setlist-wise this is a pretty lazy Universal re-hash with a few smaller changes. I really like Universal, but unless Anathema drastically change their setlist, a new live album already feels meh.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2124 on: March 09, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »
Is there anything special about the gig?
It was acoustic.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #2125 on: March 09, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
I still wish I could get into their last three albums, but they are just eugh for me. I love what they did with their darker sound, Judgement and The Silent Enigma are amazing, but I just can't get into their current stuff at all. The only exception is probably the song Anathema, but... yeah.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2126 on: March 09, 2015, 04:47:29 PM »
I prefer the "older" Anathema over the newer, but don't really have that big of a problem with the new one. I feel like the older albums were more unique, whereas WHBWH/WS/DS is just the same album over again. Luckily the quality is great enough that it doesn't bother me too much, but the older albums had more of a character to them.

Offline ninja1125

« Reply #2127 on: March 09, 2015, 04:52:20 PM »
I Don't feel WHBWH/WS is the same album but I do feel that way for WS/DS. The Lost Song and Untouchable are super similar.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #2128 on: March 12, 2015, 08:43:53 AM »
What I wouldn't give for a chance to make it to one of these upcoming "Resonance" shows!

The acoustic cathedral show should make for a good DVD/blu-ray, but I almost think these ones would have made more sense. Then again, maybe they already have some plans to record something from these shows for (un)official release and they just aren't sharing that info yet. Seems like the opportunity is almost too perfect to pass up, all things considered.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2129 on: March 13, 2015, 03:34:18 AM »
Yeah, I find it puzzling that they decided to film a 16-song acoustic set instead of the (reportedly) longest show of their career, which will include a lot more songs that haven't appeared on previous DVDs. I mean, Liverpool is obviously special as it's their hometown, but if I were them I would've filmed a Resonance show instead and maybe released a digital audio version of the Liverpool gig.

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2130 on: March 13, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
they've done back-to-back DVDs before!

Online Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2131 on: March 13, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
I Don't feel WHBWH/WS is the same album but I do feel that way for WS/DS. The Lost Song and Untouchable are super similar.

I think WHBWH, WS and DS make a great trilogy.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2132 on: March 13, 2015, 10:29:08 AM »
I think WHBWH, WS and DS make a great trilogy.
Absolutely this :hefdaddy.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2133 on: March 14, 2015, 10:44:35 AM »
Remember I mentioned buying Weather Systems because of a nice price in a local store? Well, I gave it a spin just now and I actually really liked it. Don't know what happened, but I guess this current Anathema style finally clicked with me.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2134 on: March 14, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
That's great to hear! I'm absolutely biased on this, but I think WS is the single most perfect rock album ever. The emotional catharsis, the pure passion of the music, the beauty of the arrangements, this huge bright atmosphere, Vincent & Lee - I love every single bit of that album. And that's interesting 'cause it bored the shit out of me on the first listens :lol.