Author Topic: Lana Del Rey  (Read 4777 times)

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
Lana Del Rey
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
Anybody else heard of this girl? I was in the car with my mother the other day and she was listening to Magic (an easy listening station) when this song came on, and I was just floored by the singer's voice. So I used my phone to find out who it was, got home and YouTubed her and I've been obsessed since then. I know it's not exactly an original style of singing, but there's something about her voice which just gives me goosebumps. So far she's only got an EP out but here's hoping for a full-length soon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HO1OV5B_JDw

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
Re: Lana Del Rey
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2011, 02:47:58 AM »
Well I guess nobody's heard of her then :lol

Here's another single anyway. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8t-I-Lqy06g

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 03:59:46 AM »
She's awesome! Found out about her a couple of weeks ago when the singer from my band wanted to do Video Games. Great singer!!!

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 10:33:26 PM »
Going to bump this, because I'm betting that everyone has heard of Lana by now. The speed of her rise to glory has been phenomenal. Since I started this topic when she was a relatively unknown internet sensatiom, she's had an album that's hit No.1 in 11 counties. I hope that it's not all too much for her, as from what I have seen she seems very uncomfortable when performing to a large audience, and much more at home in more intimate settings.

I was slightly, very slightly disappointed with the Born to Die album, although much of it is growing on me. The first four tracks are stunning, but I've never been a fan of Diet Mountain Dew, and Summertime Sadness and Radio are also a little underwhelming. I do love Carmen and Lolita though, and there is much to love about most of the remaining songs. I'm not usually one to gush about popstars like this, but god do I adore her.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 12:14:53 AM »
An old friend of mine is the guitarist in her live band. Haven't been too blown away by anything I've heard from her though

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »
My brother is really into her song "Video Games" but I just don't see the appeal of her music at all.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 07:19:02 AM »
The only song I heard from it was "Video Games" but it didn't appeal to me at all, seemed boring at best, too monotonous. Haven't heard the rest of her songs tbh, are they good?

Also her name means "Wool of the King" in Spanish. Weird.

Offline TL

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 09:23:49 AM »
Listened to a few songs.
Put me down as someone who doesn't 'get' what the appeal is.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 11:10:02 AM »
I've listened to her debut once, and it was nice.
Nothing mindblowing or something I'm interested in listening to on a weekly basis, it didn't stand out as being anything special. I enjoyed the album, but I don't really feel an urge to listen to it again.

Offline Pinga

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »
Her strongest asset is how catchy her songs are. I really enjoy this one...

https://youtu.be/pbyOKKqsTfE

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 06:03:13 AM »
Her strongest asset is how catchy her songs are. I really enjoy this one...

https://youtu.be/pbyOKKqsTfE
Yeah I think that's my favourite song of hers, such attitude and swagger. There's a fantastic live performance of that on YouTube too. I guess her sound is not for everyone, but I've been getting more into female vocalists recently and I just find her fascinating. The ambiguity about her past and where she came from interests me too. I'm pretty smitten to be honest haha.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 10:10:46 AM »
She's not bad, but its not quite my thing. 

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2012, 03:07:02 PM »
After seeing how badly she tanked on Saturday Night Live a few weeks ago, I have no interest in following up on her music. Two of the worst performances I have ever seen on live television....

Offline AcidLameLTE

• Nae deal pal
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 07:42:11 AM »
I saw one of her videos posted on Facebook.

Wasn't really my cup of tea.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 04:50:11 AM »
I'm gonna revive this once very busy thread.

I love Lana and she has a new album out, Norman Fucking Rockwell!.
Has anyone heard it already?
any rock can be made to roll

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 04:55:55 AM »
I was actually wanting to post about it. I don't know her that well but I'm so surprised by how much I dig this album. I only listened to it twice yet but it's fantastic
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline DTA

« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 05:20:07 AM »
Haven't gotten NFM yet but Ultraviolence may be a top 10 album of all time for me.

Online faizoff

« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2019, 05:25:50 AM »
I'll have to check the rest of discography, I only have Born To Die, and it is fantastic.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2019, 05:59:05 AM »
"Jimmy Gnecco"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EobneKwfMpQ

everyone who listens to her and this song should do themselves a service and listen to Jimmy's band OURS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V949-l0YLPI

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2019, 06:44:53 AM »
I've only listened to it once on release day, but can definitely say it sounded good. Might be her best!!
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2019, 07:58:28 AM »
Norman Fucking Rockwell! even managed to break my 2 week Tool-binge-listening-episode, it's basically the first time I actively listen to something different :D

Seriously, it's a great album. I have yet to read the lyrics carefully, but I think there are some very cool verses on this album. It's the perfect album for the ending summer...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2019, 06:21:48 PM »
I'm gonna revive this once very busy thread.

I love Lana and she has a new album out, Norman Fucking Rockwell!.
Has anyone heard it already?

I haven't checked it out yet but I will sometime soon.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2021, 01:34:47 AM »
Lana will release her new album Chemtrails Over The Country Club on March 19th.

Norman Fucking Rockwell! was beautiful and one of my most revisited albums of 2019 so I'm very excited for her new release. It's going to be her shortest album since Born To Die.

Two songs can already be heard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBHild0PiTE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-Uvy-aKoao

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 01:56:28 AM by Fritzinger »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2021, 05:45:13 PM »
Anyone take the plunge on her new one that came out this past Friday yet?

I have not, but I did get Norman F'ing Rockwell earlier this month (yes, in the midst of my Maiden marathon).  Very nice record; I love the laid back vibe.  This isn't music that wows me, but it's just got a really nice sound and the melodies are nice and relaxing (even with her cursing :lol).

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2021, 10:53:20 PM »

I have not, but I did get Norman F'ing Rockwell earlier this month (yes, in the midst of my Maiden marathon).  Very nice record; I love the laid back vibe.  This isn't music that wows me, but it's just got a really nice sound and the melodies are nice and relaxing (even with her cursing :lol).

I was just gonna bump this thread!

Here are a few random thoughts: I gave Blue Banisters two listens and I think I like it better than Chemtrails. NFR is probably her best album for me (together with Honeymoon) and the new album doesn't change that. But there are some beautiful songs on BB. I feel like she's experimenting a little; there are some unexpected tempo/meter changes and unusual arrangement decisions. Not every second on the album is relaxing like on Chemtrails (for example). LDR shows the diversity of her voice more than on some of her other albums. So at times BB is not as easily accessible and the first listen caught me by surprise sometimes. But the second listen already brought back the typical feeling I get when listening to her albums. So: I think it's better than Chemtrails (one of her weaker albums, but still not bad of course). But it's still too early to say if it's up there with her best albums.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2021, 11:18:51 PM »
I enjoyed Chemtrails, and I keep seeing that BB is better, so I'm definitely going to check it out.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2021, 07:03:33 PM »

Here are a few random thoughts: I gave Blue Banisters two listens and I think I like it better than Chemtrails. NFR is probably her best album for me (together with Honeymoon) and the new album doesn't change that. But there are some beautiful songs on BB. I feel like she's experimenting a little; there are some unexpected tempo/meter changes and unusual arrangement decisions. Not every second on the album is relaxing like on Chemtrails (for example). LDR shows the diversity of her voice more than on some of her other albums. So at times BB is not as easily accessible and the first listen caught me by surprise sometimes. But the second listen already brought back the typical feeling I get when listening to her albums. So: I think it's better than Chemtrails (one of her weaker albums, but still not bad of course). But it's still too early to say if it's up there with her best albums.

Noted.  The Norman Rockwell album is quite nice, and I like it enough to check out other stuff.  I have read that her Ultraviolence album is supposed to be great, so I was thinking of going for that one next.

Offline DTA

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2021, 08:13:24 PM »
Ultraviolence is stunning. Shades of Cool and Brooklyn Baby are probably my favorite songs of hers, and the b-side Black Beauty is great as well. Really solid album

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2021, 12:03:50 PM »
I don't usually listen to this multitude of American pop/r&b/whatever singers the US offers to the world...but I really like her.

NRF and Ultraviolence are terrific albums. I need to hear the new one.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2021, 10:56:17 PM »

Noted.  The Norman Rockwell album is quite nice, and I like it enough to check out other stuff.  I have read that her Ultraviolence album is supposed to be great, so I was thinking of going for that one next.

Ultraviolence is probably her most guitar-driven album. I wanted to write rock-influenced, but that doesn't quite apply to LDR's music. That's why it's probably my least favorite album by her (don't know her debut though). It was the first album I knew by her. And it got me completely hooked to her music, so it's still a very good album. I think, West Coast, The Other Woman (sounds like an old Jazz standard), Brooklyn Baby and Old Woman are the highlights of this one.

Still I think I like her floating, piano-driven sound more. I'd recommend checking out Honeymoon. Haunting album.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2021, 12:21:56 AM »
I can't seem to get into her.  I'd been aware of her for years, but I don't think I actually listened to a full album until NFR came out, and it didn't do anything for me.  Tried again with the two this year, and her work still just doesn't resonate with me.  The only song I really liked on the latest was "Nectar of the Gods", which is actually pretty nice.  This might be intentional, but she has this kind of traditional voice, that you could have seen being on the radio maybe back in the 50s, but her affinity for expletives renders it amusing.  But overall I can't quite figure out why her music doesn't generally connect with me.  It seems like it's trapped between two sounds I like and doesn't really fully satiate either craving.  One is for the more ethereal, reverb-laden gloomy singer/songwriters like Chelsea Wolfe and Emma Ruth Rundle, and the other is still dark but slightly more straight-forward folkier artists like Marissa Nadler (another classic-sounding voice). 

Edit:  And now with Marissa's new album out, those two worlds blend even more, with her ratcheting up the reverb and having ERR guest.  ERR, on the other hand seems headed back in the other direction based on her recent singles, more sparse instrumentation and ambiance. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 03:52:01 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline svisser

• Pineapple. I like to eat it.
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2021, 03:07:53 PM »
Dream Theater to Me is what Lana Del Rey is to my girlfriend.

She is interesting, but I can't get into her music. Would love to see her work with Steven Wilson though.
She can turn a drop of water
         Into an ocean
                                           In the room the women come and go
                                                 Talking of Michelangelo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2021, 08:22:52 AM »

Ultraviolence is probably her most guitar-driven album. I wanted to write rock-influenced, but that doesn't quite apply to LDR's music. That's why it's probably my least favorite album by her (don't know her debut though). It was the first album I knew by her. And it got me completely hooked to her music, so it's still a very good album. I think, West Coast, The Other Woman (sounds like an old Jazz standard), Brooklyn Baby and Old Woman are the highlights of this one.

Still I think I like her floating, piano-driven sound more. I'd recommend checking out Honeymoon. Haunting album.

Been meaning to reply to this...

I gave Ultraviolence a listen.  I liked it, but not sure I loved it, but there were certainly a few songs that stood out, and that was my initial impression of NFR as well (for the most part), so odds are that the subtleties and soft touches of Ultraviolence will sink in with future listens, so I will likely buy it and add it to the collection. :tup :tup

I will check out Honeymoon as well. Still need to check out the new one in full.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2021, 08:50:17 AM »
I think I mentioned this somewhere in another thread (maybe another forum?, sometimes I can't keep track) that I do finally have one Lana track I really love.  "Nectar of the Gods" on the latest really sunk its teeth into me a bit after my last post. 

Offline DTA

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2021, 09:10:56 AM »

Been meaning to reply to this...

I gave Ultraviolence a listen.  I liked it, but not sure I loved it, but there were certainly a few songs that stood out, and that was my initial impression of NFR as well (for the most part), so odds are that the subtleties and soft touches of Ultraviolence will sink in with future listens, so I will likely buy it and add it to the collection. :tup :tup

I will check out Honeymoon as well. Still need to check out the new one in full.

Honeymoon is a little harder to get into imo. I'd check out Born To Die next...Ultraviolence is my favorite of hers, but I honestly feel like BTD is her masterpiece. Also, the song Ride from her Paradise EP is absolutely stunning.