Author Topic: H's Organic Chemistry Panic Attack thread  (Read 1324 times)

Offline Ħ

H's Organic Chemistry Panic Attack thread
« on: October 19, 2011, 03:44:41 PM »

What is the name of this thing?  The longest chain is 11 carbons (the ring is only 6 carbons), but how do I name something that incorporates a ring like this?  It's not exactly an alkyl group, so 4,8-methyl doesn't work...

They are also asking whether it is cis or trans.  I think it's trans?  I dunno.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:50:43 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: H's Organic Chemistry Panic Attack thread
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:51:34 PM »
Can't see the picture.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:52:31 PM »
Can't see the picture.

Doesn't effect me since I suck at chemistry anyways.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:54:15 PM »
If you post a working pic, I can give it a try, though I haven't had to do any naming like this in 15 years...
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:00:15 PM »

Can you see it now?

In my mind, it's a undecane, because I can count an 11 carbon chain, but I suspect they are looking for cyclohexane...in which case I think it's trans-1-(1-methylpropyl)-3-(2-methylpropyl)cyclohexane.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:06:41 PM by Ħ »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
Fuck, this is why I suck at organic chemistry. Give me a few minutes.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:27 PM »
UUghh.  Stupid IUPAC nomenclature.

I would be shocked if the answer was an undecane.  I think the cyclohexyl answer is correct.  But I'd wait for someone who's orgo is a bbit fresher than mine to confirm.
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Ħ

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 04:32:11 PM »
Another question:

For the halogenation of 3-ethylpentane calculate the relative abundance of each of the product compounds for the given halogen using the proper selectivity factors. Fill in the blanks with the numerical value of the relative abundance.

With bromine (Br2) - Compound A  ____, Compound B  ____, Compound C  ___
With chlorine (Cl2) - Compound A  ____, Compound B  ____, Compound C  ___
With fluorine (F2) - Compound A  ____, Compound B  ____, Compound C  ____

NO idea with this one.  What the heck am I looking at?  Does it have to do with the size of each halogen?

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 04:54:05 PM »
I know the answers, but I'm always leary of doing people's homework for them because it defeats the purpose.  If you're really stuck on it, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll talk you through it and TEACH you (that's what I do), but I won't up and give you the answers.

[/remove professor cap]

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
I know the answers, but I'm always leary of doing people's homework for them because it defeats the purpose.  If you're really stuck on it, PM me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll talk you through it and TEACH you (that's what I do), but I won't up and give you the answers.

[/remove professor cap]

Well played Professor.  :tup

Offline Ħ

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:16:08 PM »
PM sent. :)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:25:05 PM »
PM'ed you back