Author Topic: Seventh Wonder Appreciation  (Read 34313 times)

Offline gazinwales

Re: Seventh Wonder Appreciation
« Reply #210 on: September 09, 2018, 02:43:06 AM »
Thanks for the heads up on the new song.
I had totally forgot that the new album is out next month.
So I just pre-ordered from CD Japan, for the bonus track and a first pressing external bonus of a DVD-R (contents unknown).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #211 on: September 09, 2018, 06:07:24 AM »
No posts about the new song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJYF_5y1Ljc

Not sure about the vocoder parts, but the rest is gold, the chorus rocks.

Oooohhh... didn't know anything had been released.  Listening now.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #212 on: September 10, 2018, 05:30:15 AM »
No posts about the new song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJYF_5y1Ljc

Not sure about the vocoder parts, but the rest is gold, the chorus rocks.

The new song is fantastic and I'm excited for the new album. I've just been distracted by the new Witherfall single a lot. :lol
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #213 on: September 10, 2018, 08:16:42 AM »
Will listen to the new song later, I'm just happy to finally have a Seventh Wonder shirt. It's Tiara.  :metal
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #214 on: September 11, 2018, 03:19:48 AM »
I like all the new songs. Victorious probably the most. Looking forward to the new album and hopefully they will do some concerts so that I can see them (if close enough).

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #215 on: September 11, 2018, 11:08:19 AM »
Tiara's Song is easily my favorite so far. Sadly, I already made a big mistake, listened to all the songs too many times :biggrin: It'll need some time for them to click with the rest of the album.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #216 on: September 11, 2018, 08:47:16 PM »
That song is great. Really interested in seeing them live next year at PPUSA, but we'll see.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2018, 05:52:40 AM »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2018, 07:29:10 AM »
Finally almost eight years after the release of one of my favourite albums ever, we have a new Seventh Wonder album.  :biggrin: :metal

A few years ago I'd resigned myself to possibly never getting more SW, and after they confirmed a new album there was still a whole lot of waiting. Rather than letting my expectations build to ridiculous levels that no album could match I was ready to just take this album as it comes and be glad for the existence of a new Seventh Wonder album even if some of the magic was gone. With that in mind, I'd say I'm thrilled by this album, and would have been safe all along expecting an album that lived up to the promise of the band's previous material.

The best (or most concise) way of describing this album is that despite the wait, it feels like the band hasn't missed a beat since Mercy Falls and The Great Escape. Of course that cuts both ways - it sounds pretty much exactly what you'd expect the follow-up to The Great Escape to sound like, so if for whatever reason you're not a fan of Mercy Falls and The Great Escape then it's hard to make the case why this album would suddenly do it for you (though I'd argue it's always a good time to try to give Seventh Wonder a chance if you're not a convert already!). But if like me you consider those albums to be top prog metal releases then Tiara is an amazing addition.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2018, 07:32:39 AM »
Really looking forward to giving this a full listen when I get home today

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #220 on: October 12, 2018, 07:34:37 AM »
Tiara is out, here's some thoughts: https://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=14763
This is a great and informative review  :tup Some of the phrases used to describe their style hit the nail on the head.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #221 on: October 12, 2018, 07:46:07 AM »
I really enjoyed The Great Escape but Mercy Falls didn't really do anything for me. That being said I don't really go back to this band often so I'm hesitant to get the new album.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: October 12, 2018, 08:18:10 AM »
Lots of good stuff on the album. Didn't finish it as I forgot to charge my phone and it died right in the beginning of Damnation Below. :lol

Really liked Beyond Today on the first listen. Also, I thought By the Light of the Funeral Pyres was one of the most power metal-influenced songs from the last three albums.

My pre-ordered bundle (CD + T-shirt) is on the way, and I don't regret pre-ordering this at all. It'll probably be my AOTY if Haken doesn't surpass this.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #223 on: October 12, 2018, 02:12:55 PM »
Hmmm, definitely needs more listens but this is really good album. Really hard to say but those singles have been beyond awesome, there definitely was that awesomeness in other songs too.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #224 on: October 12, 2018, 02:24:37 PM »
Got a promising first spin in even though I was beyond tired, I'll give it a second more intensive look tomorrow.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #225 on: October 13, 2018, 02:26:00 AM »
Can you hear it go boom, boom, boom
The world goes boom

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #226 on: October 13, 2018, 02:37:49 AM »
Awesome album! Not really a song I don't like from the first listening session.

I do agree with the review linked above that the sound is a bit less than previous albums. The bass is a bit buried and the vocals are sound a tad more "distant" when compared to previous work. Probably because I have been listening to a lot of Mercy Falls and Great Escape in anticipation, but I prefer the audio on those albums.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #227 on: October 13, 2018, 02:39:50 AM »
The vocals are definitely lower in the mix. I remember even the band on FB admitted that they wanted the vocals to be on the same level as instruments sound-wise. The result is, the vocals are very clear on acoustic pieces like Beyond Today (holy shit this song :hefdaddy ), and are a bit drowned if there's a lot going on in the background.

I don't have any issue with bass and drums though, I think these sound pretty much fine.

Second listen in and I'm in love with this album.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: October 13, 2018, 04:26:51 AM »
1/2 way thru the album on first run (currently on Against the Grain).

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #229 on: October 13, 2018, 07:52:14 AM »
Been listening with my morning coffee, about 1/2 way through myself and really loving this.  I've missed Tommy singing like this.  :corn

Offline theanalogkid7

• Just a guy
  • There are many knots I cannot untie.
« Reply #230 on: October 13, 2018, 07:27:31 PM »
I've got a couple of listens in so far, and I'm really digging this album! The entire Farewell "suite" is fantastic and the stand out so far for me.
We are here to make everything better. We are going to make airplanes out of beef. - Alex Lifeson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #231 on: October 13, 2018, 08:03:32 PM »
1/2 way thru the album on first run (currently on Against the Grain).

As usual, you are premature. I'm now on Against the Grain.
The Everyones was pretty good. Dream Machines blew, and Against The Grain is just OK(oohh, like that breakdown section!!).

IDK, I know this is an appreciation thread. I've just never been able to get into Seventh Wonder.

I'm running through the album though.

EDIT: Sorry, I can't even finish this. :(
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 08:20:44 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: October 14, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
Not growlie enough for you, eh?

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #233 on: October 14, 2018, 01:57:03 PM »
This fucking album. I'm in love with it. So damn good.

Not surprised that it's not up Tim's alley, but for me, this is everything I expected from Seventh Wonder and more. This is just fantastic.

Offline Willthescout7

« Reply #234 on: October 14, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
I didn't discover Seventh Wonder until 2016, so luckily I didn't have the wait some of you had.

This album is incredible and I can't think of a song I don't love. Really well put together and it just flows. Probably premature, but I would say this is my favorite album by them yet.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #235 on: October 14, 2018, 02:16:39 PM »
Not growlie enough for you, eh?

Haha!

Not surprised that it's not up Tim's alley

Well, here's the thing. It really is. But there's a lifelessness to me. And yes, I realize it's a ME problem. I should love this band, but there's an edge that's missing from their music.

Not depreciating, just talking..
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: October 14, 2018, 02:49:36 PM »
Well, here's the thing. It really is. But there's a lifelessness to me. And yes, I realize it's a ME problem. I should love this band, but there's an edge that's missing from their music.

Not depreciating, just talking..

It's all good my man.  We all have our own special little 'fails' when it comes to music we should love, but don't.  Me... Haken all the way.  Plus a handful of others.

We still love you :hug:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #237 on: October 14, 2018, 03:06:40 PM »
Not just you on Haken. I'd rather listen to Seventh Wonder. :lol

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: October 14, 2018, 08:01:09 PM »
Im keen to check this out to see who I agree with here.  Ive never been blown away by this band at all though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #239 on: October 15, 2018, 04:54:46 AM »
Tiara is out, here's some thoughts: https://www.metalstorm.net/pub/review.php?review_id=14763
This is a great and informative review  :tup Some of the phrases used to describe their style hit the nail on the head.
Thanks! Needless to say, I agree with your previous comment, and judging by the interviews, the boys would agree too, Andreas has said multiple times they just wanted to write a good SW album and that's pretty much what they did.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #240 on: October 15, 2018, 05:17:49 AM »
I think it is a great album. Well worth the wait! But I have to hear it more to see where it ends up for me personally.

The vocals are definitely lower in the mix. I remember even the band on FB admitted that they wanted the vocals to be on the same level as instruments sound-wise. The result is, the vocals are very clear on acoustic pieces like Beyond Today (holy shit this song :hefdaddy ), and are a bit drowned if there's a lot going on in the background.

I don't have any issue with bass and drums though, I think these sound pretty much fine.

Second listen in and I'm in love with this album.

Yeah, to be fair my first listening session was with my lesser, sports headphones. At home I can enjoy the mix better, but I still think the production is worse than previous albums. But ultimately, it does not hamper my enjoyment.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #241 on: October 16, 2018, 03:16:28 PM »
I'm just now noticing how much Ben Stiller looks like Tommy Karevik as Tony Wonder on Arrested Development  :lol

https://ewedit.files.wordpress.com/2018/05/ben-stiller-tony-wonder1.jpg
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #242 on: October 21, 2018, 11:09:27 AM »
The new album is easily the musical highlight for me this year. Only on my second spin now, but this is some really great stuff. Very catchy, and Tommy has never been better. The mix isn't perfect, but it does sound pretty good on headphones. A bit more bass in general would be appreciated, and the guitars sound a little muddy. Still, none of that is able to take anything away from my enjoyment of the album. This music feels like it's written for me, it just fits my taste so well. I hope that they'll be able to release new music more frequently again, SW is much more interesting to me at this point than Kamelot.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #243 on: October 21, 2018, 11:14:10 AM »
The new album is easily the musical highlight for me this year. Only on my second spin now, but this is some really great stuff. Very catchy, and Tommy has never been better. The mix isn't perfect, but it does sound pretty good on headphones. A bit more bass in general would be appreciated, and the guitars sound a little muddy. Still, none of that is able to take anything away from my enjoyment of the album. This music feels like it's written for me, it just fits my taste so well. I hope that they'll be able to release new music more frequently again, SW is much more interesting to me at this point than Kamelot.

Man, you just posted my exact thoughts about this album. Easily my favourite from anything that's been released this year. Incredible songwriting. "This music feels like it's written for me" is exactly how I would describe Tiara.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2018, 12:24:14 PM »
ooooh, Dellers vs Evermind to see who Seventh Wonder wrote the album for!  FIGHT!!!
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.