Poll

Legalize it?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Weed  (Read 27276 times)

Offline Scheavo

Re: Weed
« Reply #175 on: October 20, 2011, 06:55:04 PM »
And why is getting stoned contrary to an objective morality?

Because it so obviously shows you that reality is not objective, so that contrary to objective morality, objective morality is not true.

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #176 on: October 20, 2011, 09:08:00 PM »
Morality is subjective. Objective morality is an oxymoron.

Definition:

Objective - adjective
 i. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased
ii. intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.
iii. of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

Moral - adjective
i. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical
ii. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work;
iii. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #177 on: October 20, 2011, 09:10:05 PM »
Yeah I think the majority of us know that. Though some people tend to use that as an argument against legalizing marijuana , and it doesn't make any sense.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #178 on: October 20, 2011, 09:31:13 PM »
You'd be surprised, most religious people conflate Judeo-Christian moral's with objective morality.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #179 on: October 21, 2011, 03:26:08 AM »
So back to my point regarding that, there is medicine that will do what medical marijuana does, but people opt not to take it when presented the option.  I'm not saying that's a good thing or a bad thing, just throwing it out there that it exists and this happened.
1) To be frank, it doesn't feel intellectually honest to say both that "people choose to use marijuana instead of another option and that's neither good nor bad" and "people choosing marijuana proves they only did it because they want to get high." The latter is not only invalid but it's clearly a disparaging remark about the people.
2) There's so much more that goes into this. Does the medicine in question work equally well for everyone as marijuana? And in absence of you having a definitive answer, I'll assume it's a "no" since every drug in existence works differently for different people. What are the side effects of the drug? What about cost? Etc.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #180 on: October 21, 2011, 08:29:30 AM »
Before you get all bent outta shape at me, I just wanna say I'm all for medical marijuana, or just marijuana in general for those who want it.  I was just bringing up a point why the push to legalize through the guise of health benefits is a silly way to go for it.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #181 on: October 21, 2011, 08:52:57 AM »
Before you get all bent outta shape at me, I just wanna say I'm all for medical marijuana, or just marijuana in general for those who want it.  I was just bringing up a point why the push to legalize through the guise of health benefits is a silly way to go for it.
And I'm actually inclined to agree.  Obviously I'm pro-pot,  but honestly,  the people who need it as medicine are far outnumbered by the people who just want to get stoned. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #182 on: October 21, 2011, 03:59:30 PM »
And I'm actually inclined to agree.  Obviously I'm pro-pot,  but honestly,  the people who need it as medicine are far outnumbered by the people who just want to get stoned.

Indeed. And for those who want to get stoned, they can benefit from some preventative medicine (Alzheimer, cancer's, etc).

Offline JustinVK

« Reply #183 on: October 22, 2011, 10:29:04 PM »
So at the show tonight in Clearwater, I can almost guarantee that someone was smoking weed during Dream Theater's set. It was a sit-down venue and i just thought that i would never have expected someone to be smoking during the show. I couldn't see anyone doing it around me though, or any smoke.
Life will not always be this way
Look around
Hear the sounds
Cherish your life while you're still around

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #184 on: October 22, 2011, 10:59:00 PM »
So at the show tonight in Clearwater, I can almost guarantee that someone was smoking weed during Dream Theater's set. It was a sit-down venue and i just thought that i would never have expected someone to be smoking during the show. I couldn't see anyone doing it around me though, or any smoke.

I don't think I've ever been to a show where people aren't smoking weed. Even sit down shows.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #185 on: October 22, 2011, 11:14:18 PM »
Yee Gods.  So this is what the world's become. A person smoking dope at a rock concert is now noteworthy. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #186 on: October 22, 2011, 11:34:49 PM »
No no no, it really hasn't.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #187 on: October 23, 2011, 05:15:44 AM »
Yee Gods.  So this is what the world's become. A person smoking dope at a rock concert is now noteworthy.

Slow down there cowboy, he just said that he didn't expect it.

People who smoke at concerts are kind of assholes. Not everyone wants to smell that shit. It's like people who bring big signs and block the view of everyone behind them. It's inconsiderate and arrogant.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #188 on: October 23, 2011, 05:41:42 AM »
As a non Pot Smoker (I did my fair share in my youth)  I would be ok with legalizing it.  Just regulate it like alcohol.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #189 on: October 23, 2011, 05:49:58 AM »

People who smoke at concerts are kind of assholes. Not everyone wants to smell that shit. It's like people who bring big signs and block the view of everyone behind them. It's inconsiderate and arrogant.

This made me chuckle.   :lol   I'm guessing you're probably 30-ish or younger?  When I was in my late-teens/early twenties, you could not go a rock concert of any kind without getting a contact high from all of the second hand pot smoke, and you'd probably be handed a joint at least a few times.  This happened at every concert without fail, and it was just an expected cultural norm.  (we're talking late 70's / early 80's btw)

No one ever complained about it back then.  It's interesting how much times have changed, that's all.   

FWIW, I would never spark up at a show now. 

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #190 on: October 23, 2011, 06:06:11 AM »

This made me chuckle.   :lol   I'm guessing you're probably 30-ish or younger?  When I was in my late-teens/early twenties, you could not go a rock concert of any kind without getting a contact high from all of the second hand pot smoke, and you'd probably be handed a joint at least a few times.  This happened at every concert without fail, and it was just an expected cultural norm.  (we're talking late 70's / early 80's btw)

No one ever complained about it back then.  It's interesting how much times have changed, that's all.   

FWIW, I would never spark up at a show now.

25  :lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #191 on: October 23, 2011, 01:05:28 PM »
I worked in a concert hall for like three years.... this one time, when I was busing all the empty beer bottles, this guy asked me, 'So it's okay if we smoke weed in here?' It was by far the dumbest thing I've ever been asked. I can't remember if I even gave him a response. I guess he saw so many other people smoking, and security not donig anything about it, that he thought it was cool.

By the way, it completely depends on the show. Some shows, you won't see much weed. Other shows, security was told to just ignore it because they would've had to kick everyone out.

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #192 on: October 23, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
It reminds me of a g3 show in san Diego where there were no smoking signs everywhere.  When security saw the guy in front of us smoking what he thought was a cigarette he demanded him to put it out.  When he saw it was a joint he chuckled and walked aiway.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #193 on: October 23, 2011, 03:29:14 PM »
It reminds me of a g3 show in san Diego where there were no smoking signs everywhere.  When security saw the guy in front of us smoking what he thought was a cigarette he demanded him to put it out.  When he saw it was a joint he chuckled and walked aiway.
And therein lies the problem.  All of the venues are non-smoking now.  If people act like your Hitler because you smoke a Marlboro,  then it's pretty hard to get away with smoking a joint, which is strangely more acceptable at most concerts.  Naturally,  I'll chalk this up to the continuing pussification of America.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ħ

« Reply #194 on: October 23, 2011, 06:01:59 PM »
Morality is subjective. Objective morality is an oxymoron.

Definition:

Objective - adjective
 i. not influenced by personal feelings, interpretations, or prejudice; based on facts; unbiased
ii. intent upon or dealing with things external to the mind rather than with thoughts or feelings, as a person or a book.
iii. of or pertaining to something that can be known, or to something that is an object or a part of an object; existing independent of thought or an observer as part of reality.

Moral - adjective
i. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical
ii. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work;
iii. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.

Well, I don't know about that.  There are absolutes.  I suspect that all moral questions can find answers in derivatives of those absolutes.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #195 on: October 23, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
What absolutes? 

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #196 on: October 23, 2011, 06:50:50 PM »
There are no absolutes. We've been over this countless times on other subjects as well.
I AM A GUY

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #197 on: October 23, 2011, 07:23:33 PM »
There are no absolutes. We've been over this countless times on other subjects as well.
There are absolutely no absolutes. ;)

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #198 on: October 23, 2011, 07:31:32 PM »
There are absolutely no absolutes. ;)

This was also covered many times before. :lol
I AM A GUY

Offline Ħ

« Reply #199 on: October 24, 2011, 12:05:14 AM »
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2011, 06:40:47 AM »

At outdoor concerts in CT you will smell weed no matter where you are, especially if its DMB, Tom Petty, etc... Indoor veniews are a lot stricter.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2011, 09:00:21 AM »
If weed were legal we would have to waste tax payer money on this shit...

Similar products are marketed as incense and are inhaled. I used them for months on end a year or so ago. They were effective as hell and 1/3 the price of what's on the streets.

https://www.justice.gov/dea/pubs/pressrel/pr102111.html

Over the past several months, there has been a growing use of, and interest in, synthetic stimulants sold under the guise of “bath salts” or “plant food”. Marketed under names such as “Ivory Wave”, “Purple Wave”, “Vanilla Sky” or “Bliss”, these products are comprised of a class of chemicals perceived as mimics of cocaine, LSD, MDMA, and/or methamphetamine. Users have reported impaired perception, reduced motor control, disorientation, extreme paranoia, and violent episodes. The long-term physical and psychological effects of use are unknown but potentially severe. These products have become increasingly popular, particularly among teens and young adults, and are sold at a variety of retail outlets, in head shops and over the Internet. However, they have not been approved by the FDA for human consumption or for medical use, and there is no oversight of the manufacturing process.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2011, 09:15:21 AM »
I just wanna chime in and say that during the Roger Waters Wall tour, I lit up a joint in the first 5 minutes.

And this security lady came over and warned me that she would throw me out if she saw it again.

At Roger Waters.... seriously?  :lol I usually don't smoke during concerts because it's pretty hard to not be seen doing it, but I figured if I would be able to get away with smoking pot at any show it would have been Roger Waters.

AND BECAUSE OF THAT I WAS SOBER FOR THE SECOND HALF AND IT WAS FAR LESS INTERESTING THAN IT COULD HAVE BEEN

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2011, 09:39:19 AM »
I just wanna chime in and say that during the Roger Waters Wall tour, I lit up a joint in the first 5 minutes.

And this security lady came over and warned me that she would throw me out if she saw it again.

At Roger Waters.... seriously?  :lol I usually don't smoke during concerts because it's pretty hard to not be seen doing it, but I figured if I would be able to get away with smoking pot at any show it would have been Roger Waters.

AND BECAUSE OF THAT I WAS SOBER FOR THE SECOND HALF AND IT WAS FAR LESS INTERESTING THAN IT COULD HAVE BEEN

The problem with this line of thinking is that just because you find it should be socially acceptable at that concert to smoke pot... it is still currently considered an illegal action. It doesn't matter where you are or what band is playing.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2011, 11:17:05 AM »

The problem with this line of thinking is that just because you find it should be socially acceptable at that concert to smoke pot... it is still currently considered an illegal action. It doesn't matter where you are or what band is playing.

Its an unspoken exception to marijuana laws... They don't apply at a Roger Waters concert.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2011, 04:36:56 PM »
And therein lies the problem.  All of the venues are non-smoking now.  If people act like your Hitler because you smoke a Marlboro,  then it's pretty hard to get away with smoking a joint, which is strangely more acceptable at most concerts.  Naturally,  I'll chalk this up to the continuing pussification of America.

:clap:

Exactly.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #206 on: October 24, 2011, 06:29:29 PM »

I'm aware of this, it's just this is the one of the only times I've seen a security guard go after someone for pot. It's kind of a rare thing up here in New England. Plus, they were on lookout the ENTIRE night (I managed to sneak another hit in from the two 50 year old dudes next to me passing a joint  :lol) And it just amazes me that the one time I ever get in trouble it's at Roger Waters, which is pretty much...

an unspoken exception to marijuana laws... They don't apply at a Roger Waters concert.

:lol

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #207 on: October 24, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »
That sorta surprises me too. At least at my venue, there were nights where security explicitly didn't even bother to try. I mean, what the fuck are you going to do at a Kotton Mouth Kings concert, kick every single person out?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2011, 06:52:15 PM »
The thing is that it's not the job of some minimum wage ticket-takers to enforce the Health and Safety Code of the State of Texas.  Now that all indoor venues are smoke free,  it is there job to enforce smoking bans, regardless of what's being smoked.  Some places are more stringent than others.  Personally,  I think it's pretty silly. 

On a side note,  I'm probably one of the only people to ever light one up in the crown jewel of Fort Worth.  Took about 45 seconds before a maglite was shining in my eyes from one of the ushers.  After the show I somewhat sarcastically asked her if she took her job seriously enough.  She replied that they take that building very seriously.  Damn fine answer, actually,  for which I commended her.  They have a very keen interest in making sure that stoned Tull fans don't burn holes in their seats,  and she was right to single me out. 

That said,  there's a big difference between those types of venues and the arenas that Waters is playing.  There's going to be a significant difference in the amount of acceptable wear and tear on the venue.  But again,  it has nothing to do with wear and tear,  and everything to do with living in a city wear smokers are seen as evil scum.  One's a reasonable notion and the other's bullshit. 

And then there's the practical approach to the whole thing, which is that I stopped caring about opening bands a long time ago.  Trvium is certainly no exception.  I'll be out in the parking lot working on my concert buzz right up to about 8:50 the next three nights.  There's no reason to hassle with trying to smoke indoors when the parking lot is perfectly accommodating (and in some places,  the cops care less than the hired goons). 
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #209 on: October 26, 2011, 08:19:08 AM »
Observed something on campus this morning. I see it happen all the time and it always infuriates me. I'm walking through the student center and there's a guy who sees his friend. He's a good 100 feet from him and shouts " Yo Phil! We blazin tonight, word?!".  Phil responds " hells yeah!" , followed by a putting a joint to the mouth gesture. I smoked heavy for several years. I mean, I went months at a time without there being a moment when I wasn't awake and stoned. I never once felt the urge to glorify it in front of a crowd of a hundred people. These guys obviously smoke on the reg together all the time. Are they that desperate for attention that they have to announce it to a bunch of strangers who don't give a shit and probably are all thinking about what a huge tool he is?

I really wanted to just walk up and beat the kid, I'm not really sure why. I am absolutely disgusted when people display that kind of behavior in regards to weed. It's those kind of actions that continue to give weed a bad stigma with people. I have cut back a lot on my smoking. I only toke once every other week now (if that), but my views on its legalization have gone unchanged.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:42:52 AM by Chino »