Author Topic: 2011-12-02 - City National Grove - Anaheim, CA  (Read 12774 times)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

Re: 2011-12-02 - City National Grove - Anaheim, CA
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 03:59:38 AM »
AWESOME!  This will be show #30 for me.   I did a search two days ago looking for clues for an Anaheim show and came up empty, so glad you found this Cyber!!

The Grove is an unusual venue.  Last time DT was there, the audience was required to buy dinner before the show.  Met some great folks at my table.  Would be a great DTF meet-up if its the same format. 

Also, the All Access Pass offered for this show sounds interesting.  Anyone have details?

« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 04:18:44 AM by RaiseTheKnife »

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 04:28:53 AM »
The Grove is an unusual venue.  Last time DT was there, the audience was required to buy dinner before the show.

:lol

That's bizarre.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 08:23:10 AM »
Ya, it's technically a dinner theater. Trying to eat, then watch a show on picnic benches was interesting at best. Got my tix for both SD and this show already.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:12:02 AM »
The Grove is an unusual venue.  Last time DT was there, the audience was required to buy dinner before the show.

That's bizarre.

Yet awesome  :omg:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:12:14 AM »
wow, this is awesome. 

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 11:21:38 AM »

That's bizarre.

Yet awesome  :omg:
:omg:
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 02:45:43 AM »
Got my tix for both SD and this show already.

Look forward to seeing you at both!

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 08:08:06 AM »
Got my tix for both SD and this show already.

Look forward to seeing you at both!
The SD show, I'm really worried about. I don't get off work until 4, If traffic blows I might not make it in time. Normally a 2 hour drive from LA, fingers crossed already.

Offline Lark the Starless

• Engrish.
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 04:40:54 PM »
I'll be seeing them once again! I saw them the 25th of September at the Nokia Theater.

Can't wait for December 2!  :metal

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 08:34:36 PM »
Why do they have to play in my area everytime I have to work??? ;-(
Thanks,
Dave

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 11:46:10 PM »
Going

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2011, 02:28:35 AM »
Bought my tickets in presale today, Tier 1 GA.  Didn't go with the dinner plate this time round.

So does everyone think they'll continue with the same C/D setlists for the December shows, or will DT use the Novemeber break to work on and throw in a different song or two?  Thoughts?

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2011, 02:32:14 AM »
i wil be buying my tickets next friday on payday.

Is is supposed to be Trivium opening?

Periphery?
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 02:01:08 PM »
It's curious that tickets go on sale today and the band still has not officially added this show to its website.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2011, 02:15:34 PM »
It doesn't look like the show is selling very quickly. I pulled up front row reserved table 4 hours after onsale time.

Offline Schleppy

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 02:57:06 PM »
This'll be my first Dream Theater concert (I've been broke literally every other time they came through town) and my third concert at the Grove (other two were Reel Big Fish with Streetlight Manifesto). At those concerts they didn't even put the seats in since it was ska.

Offline liquidjo

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2011, 05:47:38 PM »
Did anyone else notice the start time?...9:00pm... rather odd...and still no word on whos opening...Maybe an intimate acoustic show?..  ala Rotterdamn 1998...:)

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 03:56:33 AM »
Did anyone else notice the start time?...9:00pm... rather odd...and still no word on whos opening...Maybe an intimate acoustic show?..  ala Rotterdamn 1998...:)

Nah, not with a new guy who's busting at the seams to play out and just learned a ton of new songs for this tour.  Would be nice though.

EDIT: BTW, I saw their accoustic show in the Home For Holidays in '98 - one of my best DT shows.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 04:27:32 PM by RaiseTheKnife »

• Engrish.
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2011, 06:51:44 PM »
Bought my tickets in presale today, Tier 1 GA.  Didn't go with the dinner plate this time round.

So does everyone think they'll continue with the same C/D setlists for the December shows, or will DT use the Novemeber break to work on and throw in a different song or two?  Thoughts?

Whoo! I'll see you there, maybe. Unfortunately (or fortunately, depends on who you ask), it's GA standing. My gf and I haven't been to a GA standing show so we're unfamiliar with the dynamics...is it usually best to arrive there super early or not? We don't want to be disappointed by being in the back and being blocked by 6'4 males.

In response to the setlist, I sure hope they throw in a couple of different songs. I'm personally hoping for "A Change of Seasons."  ;D

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2011, 11:58:27 PM »
As i recall the GA section is right against the stage and its a small area, so I think anytime you arrive you'll have a great view of the show.  i was at a Teir 2 table and it felt pretty close.

• Engrish.
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2011, 09:21:30 AM »
As i recall the GA section is right against the stage and its a small area, so I think anytime you arrive you'll have a great view of the show.  i was at a Teir 2 table and it felt pretty close.

Oh okay, that sounds excellent. Can't wait. What time are you planning on getting there, if you don't mind my asking?

Offline Pictureday

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:48 AM »
Sooo pumped! I live in Riverside. I bought tickets for the San Diego show for myself and my 11yr old son. Then last week, The Grove get scheduled. What to do??? Get tickets for that show too!!!! back-to-back nights! Can't wait. Took my son to the Nokia show for his 1st concert ever. He loved it. I'm gunna suprise him with these 2 shows.... 

• Engrish.
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 11:22:10 AM »
Sooo pumped! I live in Riverside. I bought tickets for the San Diego show for myself and my 11yr old son. Then last week, The Grove get scheduled. What to do??? Get tickets for that show too!!!! back-to-back nights! Can't wait. Took my son to the Nokia show for his 1st concert ever. He loved it. I'm gunna suprise him with these 2 shows....

Nice! You didn't happen to be near the orchestra section in the Nokia show, did you? Because I went and there was a man with whom I presumed to be his son, who looked as energetic as a koala during sleeping time. Then again, he may have been tired. I'm not saying it was you but just wondering lol

I just want it to be the 2nd od December already!

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 12:53:19 PM »
Let's plan a meet up

Offline Pictureday

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 11:29:34 AM »

Nice! You didn't happen to be near the orchestra section in the Nokia show, did you? Because I went and there was a man with whom I presumed to be his son, who looked as energetic as a koala during sleeping time. Then again, he may have been tired. I'm not saying it was you but just wondering lol

I just want it to be the 2nd od December already!

No, not us. We were stage right about 25 rows up. About 2/3 throught the show, my son did sit down for a minute and put his head on the back of the chair in front of him and i thought, uh-oh he's getting tired.  But then, Caught In A Web started and he finished the night Fist Pumping his ass off! lol

Online TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2011, 01:16:04 AM »
Edit: Eh, I decided to go. I had such a blast at the Nokia show, I couldn't resist going to this one. I'm a little bummed that no seats on JP's side were available, but I'm sure I'll still love the show. Even if they play the same setlist. haha. Also SO excited that Andy McKee is opening. I saw him play at the NAMM show two years ago - phenomenal. He even stood there and chatted with me for 20 minutes afterward. Totally cool guy. Super nice, just like the guys in DT seem. I can't wait. :hefdaddy :metal
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 12:29:18 PM by TheLordOfTheStrings »
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »
non-dinner tables are offered, but the comradarie is worth the $20.  Its not like some frivolous fee, you're actually getting a dinner with some of the most passionate, like-minded people you'll find in so cal.  Treat yourself, you'll come away with an amazing and unique concert experience.

Offline kevinhirsh

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2011, 04:14:36 PM »
I just purchased tickets for this show but am still a bit confused about the venue. When I purchased the ticket, ticketmaster stated that my seat did not require that I purchase food. Will I still be sitting at a table? Or will more traditional seats be laid out? I went to the LA Nokia Theater show and just could not resist going again. Although this time I will be going at it alone....

Still can't F*&*king wait!

Kevin

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 08:10:57 AM »
I just purchased tickets for this show but am still a bit confused about the venue. When I purchased the ticket, ticketmaster stated that my seat did not require that I purchase food. Will I still be sitting at a table? Or will more traditional seats be laid out? I went to the LA Nokia Theater show and just could not resist going again. Although this time I will be going at it alone....

Still can't F*&*king wait!

Kevin
Initially, the "dinner tables" were the tables in the center. If you didn't buy dinner you get the outer tables.

Offline grayfox_one

« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
Hi ! I bought a ticket for the concert in Anaheim a little bit too quickly, thinking that a lot of people from my university (UCI) would go but it turns out that no one is going and since I am just an exchange student from Europe, I don't have a car. Therefore, I am just wondering if any of you would be from the UCI area (Irvine / Costa Mesa / Newport Beach) and willing to offer me a ride (I would pay for the gas of course!), especially for the way back. Because I can manage to take the bus to go to the concert, but the first one after the concert is at 4:30 AM.  :omg:
I would really appreciate it.  ;)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #31 on: November 18, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »
I am just down the road and would be glad to take you...keep in touch.

Offline grayfox_one

« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2011, 04:27:27 PM »
I am just down the road and would be glad to take you...keep in touch.

Thank you so much! I sent you an e-mail with my info.

Online TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2011, 03:40:59 AM »
I'm assuming they're gonna stick to the setlists they've been playing throughout the first part of the 'Tour of Events?

(fingers crossed for setlist B again)
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Offline RaiseTheKnife

« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2011, 06:51:20 AM »
Be nice if they mixed it up a little, but i absolutely have to catch Beneath the Surface in either this show or San Diego.  Been waitiing to cross it off my list and it didnt happen my last two shows.