Author Topic: Symphony X - European Setlist  (Read 1251 times)

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
Symphony X - European Setlist
« on: October 17, 2011, 03:53:09 PM »
I'm going watching Symphony X next week, and I've just been checking out their setlist for the tour:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/symphony-x-3d6a107.html?tour=Iconoclast+European+Tour

Very disappointing, it's pretty much all from their latest 2 records. I was hoping for a bit more variety :(

At least I get Inferno  :metal Anyone else catching them this tour?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:21:35 AM by duncan3dc »

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Symphony X - European Setlist
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
I couldn't quite get the gist of it the way the data was presented but if I'm correct in guessing that it indicated >70% being from the last two albums then that's a fine "fuck you" to the folks whom supported them enough to enable them to woo a newer, younger fanbase. I doubt I'll be making another 400-mile road trip to see them like I did going to Dallas from New Orleans on the Odyssey tour in November '02.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:11:34 PM »
I couldn't quite get the gist of it the way the data was presented but if I'm correct in guessing that it indicated >70% being from the last two albums then that's a fine "fuck you" to the folks whom supported them enough to enable them to woo a newer, younger fanbase. I doubt I'll be making another 400-mile road trip to see them like I did going to Dallas from New Orleans on the Odyssey tour in November '02.

Yeh the figures are the total for the tour, if you click the album titles they expand to show which tracks are played.
They're only playing 1 song from Divine Wings (Of Sins and Shadows) and 1 song from Odyssey (Inferno)

They're pretty much playing all of Iconoclast

• DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 04:18:00 PM »
I never got into PL or IC. IC doesn't seem as bad as PL but from the 5 or so spins I've given PL and 2 for IC it seems both are weighed down with even more saminess than the average SX album (if that was possible) and their sense of dynamics seems shot to shit. Bummer cuz I used to have these guys and DT as #1/2 alternatingly for a good stretch of '00-'02.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 04:54:45 PM »
The setlist was very disappointing, as was their live performance. I caught them at ProgPower Europe, and while they played quite well, it just didn't seems right. SX has turned into a sort of power metal joke and Russell was playing the tough guy all the time. Quite a shame, unfortunately.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 05:45:41 AM »
I'm going seeing them in Manchester next week, and am more than happy to see them play most of their newer stuff.

I expected as much.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 06:25:11 AM »
I'm going seeing them in Manchester next week, and am more than happy to see them play most of their newer stuff.

I expected as much.

Although I expect artists to promote their latest release, my biggest gripe is the chunk of Paradise Lost being played, instead of 4 or 5 older songs.

I just think with a band like Symphony X that have been going that long, should show respect to their back catalogue
Out of interest, how long have you been a fan?

Offline Mladen

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 09:17:02 AM »
I would die of boredom at that concert.

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of the last two albums...

Offline duncan3dc

• PHP Ninja
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 09:22:42 AM »
I would die of boredom at that concert.

Sorry, I'm just not a fan of the last two albums...

Yeh, they're nowhere near on par with their previous albums.

On the bright side I picked up a couple of DGM's albums (the support band), and I will really enjoy seeing them live

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 09:24:50 AM »
DGM was, indeed, very good.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2011, 05:44:53 AM »

I expected as much.

Although I expect artists to promote their latest release, my biggest gripe is the chunk of Paradise Lost being played, instead of 4 or 5 older songs.

I just think with a band like Symphony X that have been going that long, should show respect to their back catalogue
Out of interest, how long have you been a fan?

About 8 or 9 years.

I started with The Odyssey and then went to V, then back from there.

I enjoy all of their albums and generally agree that IC and PL are not 2 of their best. But I still love them both.

It seems to me that it's the prog fans who don't quite appreciate their heavier work. I can understand that, but looking at it from a pure metal perspective, they are very well received as of late. And I still think they offer something for everyone.

I am sure they will put on a great show nonetheless. Give them time, like Opeth and PoS, they will go back to their roots eventually.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2011, 06:57:08 AM »
Paradise Lost has been played to fucking death at this point. I'm surprised teh band didn't scrap a lot of them for the sets. I guess they think their fans want METUHL FUCK YEAH

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2011, 12:10:07 PM »
I'm glad they are playing so heavily from the new album, but I am surprised that Paradise Lost is still so apparent in the set considering how extensively they toured for that album.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

• DT.net Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 12:35:30 PM »

It seems to me that it's the prog fans who don't quite appreciate their heavier work. I can understand that, but looking at it from a pure metal perspective, they are very well received as of late. And I still think they offer something for everyone.

I am sure they will put on a great show nonetheless. Give them time, like Opeth and PoS, they will go back to their roots eventually.

I'd say I'm 65% metal and 35% prog and definitely lean strongly toward the first five albums. I enjoy parts of the Odyssey but beyond Inferno, Accolade II, King of Terrors, and the title track, I get bored quickly. I guess what makes SX so special to me is the captivating beauty of their melodies/themes and the grandiose nature of their songs in general.

It seems like they're still trying to figure out how to incorporate higher levels of heaviness into their music without it being at the expense of what already makes them great and the results are just not that thrilling to many, including myself since so much of it nearly comes off like decent-but-not-great b-sides.

I just miss the "WOW!!!" factor I used to get each time I listened to a SX album for the first time. I think they still have it in them but for it to occur, they're gonna have to truly want to make an album of that caliber without feeling some need to be heavy as a first priority and just realize "hey, we can make an awesome album and the moments where heaviness is needed will become apparent during the extensive writing/arranging process."

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2011, 07:47:36 PM »
Besides their first disc, I love every single song SX has released.  Still can't get enough of both Paradise Lost and the new one, so I would enjoy these recent shows.  Would love to hear the Odyssey track.  Still hoping that SX releases a new live disc in the near future.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »
It would be pretty shitty if they never played songs like The Accolade again, but I wouldn't mind seeing that set.

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2011, 11:01:41 AM »
I'm going watching Symphony X next week, and I've just been checking out their setlist for the tour:

https://www.setlist.fm/stats/albums/symphony-x-3d6a107.html?tour=Iconoclast+European+Tour

Very disappointing, it's pretty much all from their latest 2 records. I was hoping for a bit more variety :(

Of course they are playing most tunes from the last 2 album, those albums have sold the most, and increased their fan base the most and they are awesome songs to here live.  Most of their stuff prior to V sound very dated IMO.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »

Of course they are playing most tunes from the last 2 album, those albums have sold the most, and increased their fan base the most and they are awesome songs to here live.  Most of their stuff prior to V sound very dated IMO.

no u