Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 2.  (Read 61203 times)

Offline GuineaPig

Re: The Walkig Dead, Season 2.
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2011, 07:23:07 PM »
Meh.  Same problems as before.  Don't think I'll watch the rest of the season.

Did you ever elaborate on these "problems"? I can't remember.

Some pretty bad characters.  Some pretty bad dialogue/moments between characters.  Characters being dumb in order to service the plot.  Generally just handling the characters in a tone-deaf manner.

This episode was a step up in some respects (the highway set-piece was pretty good, although it was pretty convenient for no one to see massive horde coming at them until they were 30 m away), but was pretty tepid for the most part, and could've used some editing.  Don't see why it was a 90-minute episode (other than to increase the number of ads).  Also, tonight struck upon a pet peeve of mine: when shows (typically shitty procedurals) put a kid in peril in an attempt to up the emotional stakes.  Tonight's episode did it twice.

Other things that annoyed me: Rick's opening recap was lame, contrived, while still directly avoiding a plot twist despite having no reason to do so.  Also, bad accent is still bad.  And the whole "prayer undercut by ironic twist" trope got done twice-over, just like ye olde "kid in peril" trope.

Aside from the kids who are rarely good actors to begin with (I hate kid actors), the acting is pretty damn good. I don't have a problem with any of the adult character's acting. I thought the black guy cutting himself was going to attract all the zombies, but it never really happened. Oh Well. There's nothing wrong with Rick's accent, but I didn't like his opening recap either. It didn't sound like the other times he talked on the walkie. If I didn't watch the behind the scenes stuff, I never would have known he was British or whatever. Kids will always be dumb. The prayer shit didn't interest me, but there will never not be some kind of god element on TV shows, so I'm used to it. I didn't see that ending coming. Things I was expecting from the deer: Half eaten zombie deer (hey it could happen) or zombies coming out of nowhere to attack the deer. KIDS ARE STUPID. I didn't think the adult actors besides the woman from The Mist were really acting stupid at all.

The end.

The also made it look like he stripped an artery and was bleeding out. I thought for sure he was dead. He just disappeared for a while and then magically pops up later. I was quite confused :lol

No TV is ever perfect. It is marred by so many issues that a lot of feature films don't have to deal with to such an extent. I cut TV a lot of slack, and Walking Dead is currently the only show I give a shit about. Is it perfect? No. But its better than just about anything else.

There are like a solid 25-30 shows on television that would like a word with you.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2011, 04:47:13 PM »
Just finished watching the first episode form season 2. This show makes me uneasy and sick but I can't stop watching it. It's so fucking good!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2011, 05:49:01 PM »
Where the hell is Chino? He needs to fix the damn title.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2011, 11:56:15 PM »
Huh, I'm enjoying this season of The Walkig Dead. Is there another show?

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 12:15:04 AM »
Just watched episode one of Season 2. I thought it was ok if not pretty boring. Nothing really happened in the episode, where was the progression? Andrea was out of line constantly asking for a gun and blaming Dale for her own faults. Its her fault she left the CDC!

Sophia just ran off after Rick told her to stay in the hole. C'mon maybe its just me but I'm not going to wander around in woods even now let alone as a kid. Also the gutting of the zombie to check if it ate the kid scene was too long and not needed. I mean is checking one walker really going to confirm that she's alive? What if there was another?

We were joking that this show would be way better if it was just men and no women or children. No emotional cliches or stuff and more action. We'll see how it picks up in ep 2.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2011, 12:57:52 AM »
Anyone who hasn't read the book have predictions about the life/death of either kid?

Eliminating both would probably cause the girl's mom to kill herself and Rick and his wife to be really sad and pissed, but ultimately they would have each other and it would eliminate worrying about the kids.

Why Rick told the girl to go back is confusing to me. Why not just tell her to stay there?

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2011, 01:09:15 AM »
Forgot he also her to go back. Yeah still doesn't make any sense.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2011, 04:33:00 AM »
In the unfortunate event that he could become a zombies' next meal, she'd be hiding for a very long time.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2011, 11:55:28 AM »
He should have just run back to the group with her.  Surely he could have taken care of them similarly on the way back?  Or even easier when they both regrouped with everyone.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2011, 10:22:05 AM »
This episode lacked the action for sure. I watched the 'Talking Dead' afterwards, and the producer basically said that to try and take a look at the season in a broad look....not week to week. That yes, this episode lacked in action and zombie kills but that for instance, next week with what was set up with Shane and Otis....is nothing but action.
  It's episodes like last night though that make me want to just DVR a few weeks without watching and then watch 3 or 4 episodes in a row. Not that I didn't like the show last night, but episodes that spend thier time setting up future episodes really bother me.
  Although, it is looking like the black dude is going to turn into a zombie. The high fever and vein discoloring infection. That would be a reason that they focused on the way he cut himself. The producer did say that they were going to address what could/would happen if you came into direct contact with zombie blood i.e. eyes, mouth, wounds etc.
  He also tried to explain that the dead on the highway that weren't zombie merely died of head trauma.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #45 on: October 24, 2011, 12:30:24 PM »
Kind of like my mom said when the episode ended: "They spent a whole episode on that?"  It was still enjoyable, but it was like season 2, episode 1.5.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: October 24, 2011, 12:43:20 PM »
The black guy is most definitely a zombie. His wound probably got infected when he put that corpse on top of him when he was hiding.

I did laugh pretty hard when the Boondock Saints guy pulled out the bag of drugs.

My prediction for next week is the black guy ( sorry to keep emphasizing on race but I don't know his name) will be gone. I don't think we will see him transform. I think he'll shoot himself upon finding out, or he'll quietly just wander away after saying goodbye to everyone. I believe this will happen before the 2 guys return from getting the medical supplies. My guess is that with those 2, the fat guy isn't going to make it. Let's face it, he only has a sniper rifle and he won't be able to out run them. He'll give up his life to let the other guy get away, plus he feels as though he owes it to the kid for shooting him.

I don't know what's going to come of the mother with the short hair. If her daughter walks out of the woods before they leave, I'm going to be very pissed. They would have made three rescue attempts in the time it took her to get back, not to mention the girl then wondering out of the woods at the location of the RV will just be completely unrealistic. I think the mother will go crazy and decide to stay and wait for her daughter while the others leave her. They'll leave her a vehicle in the event she is able to rendezvous in the next episode.

If I'm correct though, that will mean the cast will be two people less. That is unless the farming family comes on board full time. I have the feeling they won't though. They seem pretty hell bent on staying on their farm and probably won't abandon it. There could be an epic zombie invasion on the farm which forces them to leave. Maybe all the zombies some how follow the medical retrieval duo back to the house.

Sorry if that post was just a bunch of ramble, a lot of it came to my mind for the first time while typing this.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #47 on: October 24, 2011, 12:47:38 PM »
T-Dog is the black guy, yep... T-Dog.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: October 24, 2011, 06:04:14 PM »
The interesting thing about the show (and ultimately the comic) is that the characters are not static. Meaning that with the exception of Rick Grimes, all bets are off that ANY of the current characters will remain throughout the series. In fact one of the things that Frank Darabont was attracted to most when he agreed to take over this project was the fact that new characters could be added (as others succumbed to the zombie hordes), and the show could go on. It's not very often that a series has allowed it's characters to be killed off regularly. Typically it's a formula for failure because viewers grow to like characters, and always killing off favorites would seem to just piss people off all the time. But this shows very premise allows the viewer to be drawn into who might get bitten/eaten week to week, and that in turn adds to the mystique of the show.
HOWEVER, Darabont's termination means that ANYTHING can happen now. Also since the shows budget has been slashed by nearly 1/4 million per epsiode, I'm willing to bet there will be a LOT more "set up" shows, and less action, which could spell disaster for this series.

Heres an interesting (and cautionary) article about the firing of Darabont and the shows potential future. Doesn't look promising. We can only hope they get their shit together and keep the mojo working, because it's a GREAT show!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2011, 06:41:06 AM »

:lol :lol

I'm just realizing this for the first time.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2011, 07:16:42 AM »
The interesting thing about the show (and ultimately the comic) is that the characters are not static. Meaning that with the exception of Rick Grimes, all bets are off that ANY of the current characters will remain throughout the series. In fact one of the things that Frank Darabont was attracted to most when he agreed to take over this project was the fact that new characters could be added (as others succumbed to the zombie hordes), and the show could go on. It's not very often that a series has allowed it's characters to be killed off regularly. Typically it's a formula for failure because viewers grow to like characters, and always killing off favorites would seem to just piss people off all the time. But this shows very premise allows the viewer to be drawn into who might get bitten/eaten week to week, and that in turn adds to the mystique of the show.
HOWEVER, Darabont's termination means that ANYTHING can happen now. Also since the shows budget has been slashed by nearly 1/4 million per epsiode, I'm willing to bet there will be a LOT more "set up" shows, and less action, which could spell disaster for this series.

In the era of cable dramas, this is not really unique.

I'd be entirely fine with it breaking new ground, however, by killing the entire main cast.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2011, 07:20:57 AM »

In the era of cable dramas, this is not really unique.

I'd be entirely fine with it breaking new ground, however, by killing the entire main cast.
Thanks for the link TempusVox, interesting read. I had read something similar right after the firing but this article was way more detailed. Like you, I'm hoping the downgraded budget doesn't mean that 4 or 5 of the 13 episodes are 'set up' episodes. I understand thier importance but concur that a few more of these may start to make me worry a bit.
  I too agree with GuineaPig, it would be neat/groundbreaking/unexpected to kill off the current cast or a large part of it. And as that article states it'd be pretty simple to pick up new characters along the way.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 2.
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2011, 09:07:34 AM »
This season is doing a great job of creating good places to put cliffhangers, which also is a good way to piss me off.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2011, 09:17:40 AM »

:lol :lol

I'm just realizing this for the first time.

It's about time. I was worried you fell off another balcony or something.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2011, 10:23:46 AM »
I thought the last two episodes were pretty good.  I felt like they were possibly lacking something but not sure what.  I feel like the show should have been more ramped up going into its second season, but almost felt watered down a little bit instead.  I was surprised that the whole episode revolved around finding a kid in the woods.  I thought that part was a bit boring I guess conceptually, but watching it wasn't terrible. 

I think the important things that they have been showing us is decision making in stressful life or death situations.  There have been a lot of hard decisions to be made and a lot of internal conflict among the characters. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2011, 11:57:04 AM »
Something I was thinking about was that apparently this farm house isn't all that far from the main highway. I would think that whomever was surviving at that farm house, Otis, the Doctor and the gang....would have already picked those vehicles clean of any useful or valuable survival items like the water and weapons, the gas.
  It could just be me and my fascination with Zombie movies and carrying on multiple daydreams of how I'd 'do' it or react or live, but being that close to a large supply of essentials I would think they'd have all the goodies.
  Which brings me to another point. If I were Rick and the gang, I'm asking/begging, pleading my case to just stay there with them. Especially Rick. I mean, if Carl were to survive it'd be nice to have a relatively 'safe' place to raise him. It is farmland so one would assume there is a reliable source of water either on that land or nearby. He could easily pull his weight and be a great provider. I know that isn't exciting and he wouldn't be a part of the series any longer, but if I'm a Dad and husband in that situation I'm finding a way to 'settle' down like that. As for the others, oh well.

I think the important things that they have been showing us is decision making in stressful life or death situations.  There have been a lot of hard decisions to be made and a lot of internal conflict among the characters. 

That is a good point and seems to be exactly what they are doing. Trying to show how worn down and frazzled these people are after (assumed) months of surviving in a very high stressed environment.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »
Well, I agree that the farm is somewhat safe right now.
But the problem in all Zombie-related things (movies/Tv-shows) is that one mistake is enough, one can screw up which attracts a herd of zombies to the farm, and then it's not so safe anymore.
Sure they had put up some barbed wire (?) or something, but it was sorta in the middle with forest all around, so if zombies were to come from all directions, things might get tricky.

As for why they hadn't looted any of the cars on the highway, I agree that it's a bit strange.
The most possible reason as I see it, is that they're a bit afraid of going too far from the farm, plus the fact that the freeway would most likely be one of the more common places to run into zombies, then let's say.. chillin' back at the farm.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2011, 12:43:47 PM »
Miller and Zantera...excellent points on staying at the farm. Having read about 35 of the 80 some issues, I know "loosely" what happens next.  :biggrin: I say "loosely" because the show hasn't "exactly" followed the comics storyline, but it's been pretty darn close.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2011, 12:54:31 PM »
Having read about 35 of the 80 some issues, I know "loosely" what happens next. 

Being that you have read the 'original' story....are you satisfied with how the series has been or has it bothered you however they have deviated from the novel? I consider myself lucky that I haven't read any of the graphic novel and my only familiarity with 'The Walking Dead' is what I've seen on AMC. There have been some others I know in different forums that are very dissatisfied with how the series depicts the novel. Just curious as to how you see it and how you feel.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2011, 12:59:12 PM »
Well, I agree that the farm is somewhat safe right now.
But the problem in all Zombie-related things (movies/Tv-shows) is that one mistake is enough, one can screw up which attracts a herd of zombies to the farm, and then it's not so safe anymore.
Sure they had put up some barbed wire (?) or something, but it was sorta in the middle with forest all around, so if zombies were to come from all directions, things might get tricky.

As for why they hadn't looted any of the cars on the highway, I agree that it's a bit strange.
The most possible reason as I see it, is that they're a bit afraid of going too far from the farm, plus the fact that the freeway would most likely be one of the more common places to run into zombies, then let's say.. chillin' back at the farm.

Yeah, these are good points. In my mind the open barrier of field and barbed wire would/could serve as a buffer zone to gear up for that attack. I would have some sort of defense planned, but if it is a huge swarm you're kind of stuck.
  Like I said, there are some days I spend a great deal of time just thinking about defending myself in a zombie attack.  :lol Yeah...I'm a 35 year old husband and father of 3, that's what's on my mind. How I'd defend my family from a zombie attack that is so far from the realm of possibility of EVER happening.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 02:17:00 PM »
Just read that they have approved Season 3 already.  Nice. 
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 02:22:40 PM »
Wow. That's pretty cool news. I wonder how that will affect the story if at all. If anything they know they have 'X' amount of time to explain this or that or develop certain aspects. Still interested to see how / if /when they bring Daryl's one handed brother back into the picture.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 02:32:43 PM »
Wow. That's pretty cool news. I wonder how that will affect the story if at all. If anything they know they have 'X' amount of time to explain this or that or develop certain aspects. Still interested to see how / if /when they bring Daryl's one handed brother back into the picture.

I don't know if/how he's going to get back. They group has traveled so far and it wouldn't make sense that he followed them this whole time in secret.

Online fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2011, 03:04:43 PM »
I wonder if Carl will live. Doesn't seem like T-Dog will live much longer, given the state he's in. And Sofia, who knows?

Love the show, been watching since the very first episode.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2011, 03:07:40 PM »
I feel like T-Dog will live because he was given antibiotics.  Although if he does die, it won't really matter because he hasn't really contributed anything to the show as of late.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2011, 03:21:21 PM »
Something about the way they had T-Dog acting and talking last episode coupled with the emphasis they put on the way he cut himself...I don't know, I just think he is going to become a 'walker' without having been bitten.
  As much as I'd like them to allow Carl to die to remain 'realistic'....not that I want a kid to die like that......but that injury should kill a child. No doubt about it. I think it'd throw a huge curve ball and would really just have every viewer like WTF? I doubt they kill him off, we shall see.
  I'm interested to see if Otis can keep pace with Shane and escape that hoard that is chasing them down to munch on. I don't see him being able to maintain in 'escape' mode for much longer....he's a big fella.

Something the producer said on that 'Talking Dead' show....he said that according to how 'fresh' a zombie is kind of determines how quickly they move. The more fresh or recent they've 'turned', the quicker they are and accordingly to how 'old' or beat up they are. That makes perfect sense and is a practical and realistic way to look at it. 

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »
Where could Sophia have run off to? It doesn't seem like there was much around other than the highway and farmhouse. Wonder if she fell in a hole or something.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2011, 03:31:58 PM »
Where could Sophia have run off to? It doesn't seem like there was much around other than the highway and farmhouse. Wonder if she fell in a hole or something.

If by hole you mean stomach, then most likely.

Did anyone else suddenly feel sick to their stomachs when they saw the gut covered baby car seat?

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2011, 03:39:24 PM »
I haven't seen the second episode, but I'd place my bet on her being taken by other humans.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2011, 03:40:37 PM »
Did anyone else suddenly feel sick to their stomachs when they saw the gut covered baby car seat?

DUDE! You know ever since I became a Father 5 years ago scenes like that, the gunshot and bed side scene from last week....really any child sensitive scene from any movie or show REALLY affects me more than I thought it ever would. Just having the experience of being a Dad and having those feelings available to be exploited.....the answer to your question is 'Yes'....I was sickened as well.