Author Topic: The Walking Dead, Season 2.  (Read 61198 times)

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: The Walking Dead, Season 2.
« Reply #105 on: November 07, 2011, 03:32:15 AM »
Latest episode was fairly meh.
I'm starting to wonder if something will actually happen between all the "oh dear god" and "god will show us the way" and all that nonsense, I'm not suggesting that it should be action all the time, but we've gotten 4 episodes where there hasn't really happened a lot.
Most of the action-parts have come from characters doing retarded things, like in this last episode for example.

And the "cliffhanger" was also lame, we could see that coming. (even more the people who know the comics)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #106 on: November 07, 2011, 05:46:46 AM »
Question. How many people here have actually read the series?

Not me.

Latest episode was fairly meh.

Most of the action-parts have come from characters doing retarded things, like in this last episode for example.

That was soooo retarded. The lady farmer said that they had 5 wells on the farm. Why would they even want to risk drinking the water in the first place (regardless of if he was bleeding or not), let alone send someone down the well with a rope....

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #107 on: November 07, 2011, 06:08:19 AM »
Yeah, and I mean.. even if the walker didn't effect the water, who the hell would want to drink it afterwards?  :lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #108 on: November 07, 2011, 06:12:59 AM »
Yeah not a whole lot happened in this episode. Things were pretty random (like the sex at the drugstore) and the whole thing with the well was pretty dumb. I'm hoping something more exciting will happen in the next episode.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2011, 06:34:28 AM »
At least next episode looks very promising...

[SPOILER]

Merle is coming back.

[/SPOILER]

:)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #110 on: November 07, 2011, 07:08:53 AM »
Yeah not a whole lot happened in this episode. Things were pretty random (like the sex at the drugstore) and the whole thing with the well was pretty dumb. I'm hoping something more exciting will happen in the next episode.

I hope Lori gives birth to a zombie baby. Better yet, I hope one day she just randomly drops dead and has a fetus rip a hole through her stomach as it emerges.... That would be insane.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #111 on: November 07, 2011, 07:29:34 AM »
For as much as I love this show, this episode in particular may have been my least favorite to this point. As has been touched upon, just a very stale episode. The well debacle, again....you have 5 wells, shoot the walker and then you have 4. I can't believe that dude would agree to be lowered into the well on a rope. I'm glad they didn't throw the obligatory lone walker attack during the pharmacy scene, but I actually thought it was neat the way they just encorporated the "Oh, lets have sex" scene into it. I'm sure there is more than one guy on the forum who dreams about a hot chick just saying let's do it.
  For as slow and drawn out as the episode for me still contained some girth. Daryl by far is my favorite character. From being a hard nosed good ol' country boy who can take care of himself then doing a 180 to being a caring sensitive soul, the way he has treated Sofi's mother. Very intriguing character. I'm hoping that arrow in his side doesn't mean his character is leaving. I mean, if a 75lb kid can take a fragmented .230 shell to the chest, what's an arrow through the side to a grown, hardened man?
  I like having my suspicions from last year confirmed that Lori is indeed pregnant. It helps my fragile ego ;D Talk about adding a whole new stressful element to an already overly stressful environment. To be honest, I don't know how an embryo would be able to continue to develop undernourished and in stress like that, but such is the beauty of life.
  I liked the scene where Shane revealed to Andrea how he tries to approach the life or death situations, almost like he was trying to convince himself and assure himself he did the right thing. Also, the stage has been set for a showdown it seems between Rick and the Dr. about having to leave and wanting to stay. The fact that the Dr. said there are circumstances he cant' discuss leads me to believe that maybe there are more people on that farm than they are revealing, perhaps there is an 'away team' out there rounding up supplies or something due to return.
  As I said, I'd like the next episode to pick up the pace a bit but am satisfied at least when they give us these types of 'revealing' episodes that there actually is something there that can build these characters more.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #112 on: November 07, 2011, 08:11:03 AM »
My guess Is that they aren't just going to leave the house. I'm assuming we are going to see an insane zombie attack on the farm. For one thing it would be awesome. Second of all, with the high number of humans, it would be a fight of epic proportions. I think the older members from the farm will die on the farm along with Sophie. Glenn's new girlfriend will probably die as well, and I think the blonde sister will kill herself. The new cast members as well as the remaining originals will venture off the farm.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 08:52:55 AM by Chino »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #113 on: November 07, 2011, 08:11:24 AM »
Also, the stage has been set for a showdown it seems between Rick and the Dr. about having to leave and wanting to stay. The fact that the Dr. said there are circumstances he cant' discuss leads me to believe that maybe there are more people on that farm than they are revealing, perhaps there is an 'away team' out there rounding up supplies or something due to return.
  As I said, I'd like the next episode to pick up the pace a bit but am satisfied at least when they give us these types of 'revealing' episodes that there actually is something there that can build these characters more.

Your whole post is interesting, but I quoted this part in particular because of my own theory.
There was one scene during the episode where Rick asked something like "Couldn't we just stay in the barn? we wont be in the way", to which the Dr became very upset/angry and was more like a "no, that is not possible".

I'm gonna put this next part in small font because it might be considered a spoiler, but:
From what I've heard about the comic-series, they keep zombies chained up (or whatever) in the barn, and maybe this is one of the reasons why he doesn't want them to stay on the farm for too long.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2011, 08:26:15 AM »

Your whole post is interesting, but I quoted this part in particular because of my own theory.
There was one scene during the episode where Rick asked something like "Couldn't we just stay in the barn? we wont be in the way", to which the Dr became very upset/angry and was more like a "no, that is not possible".

There is definately 'something' going down on that farm that hasn't been revealed. Something is awry. Even at the well scene when the wet walker was killed, the way that Daughter acted was almost like she knew the walker who was in the well. When Glenn said sommethig like 'Oh yeah, that was kind of craxy but we are numb to it', her response was almost forced and she tried to act shocked about it. I took it like she was more upset about that person/walker dying.
  Chino, I love your idea. A nice battle between a couple hundred walkers and the group would really be cool. I agree that it would seem there would have to be something of a significant scale or happening to force them off that farm. With the glimpse of Merle showing up in the next episode, I won't be suprised if he isn't behind that reason.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2011, 08:38:06 AM »
Holy crap, did not realize there was a season 2 thread!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »

There is definately 'something' going down on that farm that hasn't been revealed. Something is awry. Even at the well scene when the wet walker was killed, the way that Daughter acted was almost like she knew the walker who was in the well. When Glenn said sommethig like 'Oh yeah, that was kind of craxy but we are numb to it', her response was almost forced and she tried to act shocked about it. I took it like she was more upset about that person/walker dying.
  Chino, I love your idea. A nice battle between a couple hundred walkers and the group would really be cool. I agree that it would seem there would have to be something of a significant scale or happening to force them off that farm. With the glimpse of Merle showing up in the next episode, I won't be suprised if he isn't behind that reason.

I still think he was behind the walker attack on the camp in Season 1.

Also hoping for a barn attack.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2011, 11:51:33 AM »

I still think he was behind the walker attack on the camp in Season 1.
Likewise. I thought that he took that cargo van they all traveled to the city in, somehow lured a group of walkers into it, then took them and let them out near the camp. I'm just curious as to when Merle and the group are 'reunited' if Daryl is going to stand up for the group so to speak, or if he is going to stick to family lines.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
I think that all this time I've been looking at this show the wrong way. I approached it as a zombie show which happened to have some drama in it, when in reality its more of a drama which happens to have some zombies.

The whole last season I was frustrated with there not being enough zombies, but now looking at it from a different perspective, I think I'm enjoying it more.

Also, the well thing came off as really dumb and contrived. And also, Shane looked really weird with overalls on.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
I was so badly hoping that Daryl would find Sophie inside that house, just to put that whole subplot to an end.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #120 on: November 07, 2011, 09:36:22 PM »
I was so badly hoping that Daryl would find Sophie inside that house, just to put that whole subplot to an end.

With the rumor (?) that Merle coming back, I bet he has her hostage and is threatening to chop her in half with his new CHAINSAW HAND!

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #121 on: November 07, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »

With the rumor (?) that Merle coming back, I bet he has her hostage and is threatening to chop her in half with his new CHAINSAW HAND!
I think we have a winner here.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:37 AM »
That episode was pretty shitty.   I mean nothing important happened at all.  They spent 44 minutes in order to tell us Lori is pregnant.  More searching for the fucking girl.  4 episodes of that shit.  Really?  Fuck.  This is frustrating because I love the show, but NOTHING is happening.  They haven't moved the plot forward at all this season.

I bet the farmers are eating people kept in the barn for survival or something crazy like that.  At least that would put the show back on track to be scary/suspenseful.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #123 on: November 08, 2011, 12:47:23 AM »
Episode was a bit slow, but the whole season has been a little. It's not a serious problem for me, but it is noticeable, especially in comparison to last season.

Why did they originally stop looking for Merle? It's been a while since I saw the first season, but I don't recall Daryl kicking up a fuss about it, which you think he would have. They made one trip into the city again, and just stopped. This time, it's like, we'll scour the countryside for days on end. Yes, the city was full of zombies, but you'd think they could have made a bit more effort, or Daryl would have wanted them to.

Also, there was a makeshift bed at the bottom of the pantry, right? So Sofia could be there? And Daryl said nothing about it to her mother why? My guess was he didn't want to get her hopes up prematurely or something.

I thought the drugstore sex scene was okay. They had suggested some tension between the characters before that, and the way it happened was amusing and believable, I suppose, so I'm not gonna complain. (Funny story though, while my brother and I were watching this episode, my mum happened to walk into the room during that scene. Her: "what's this show about?" Me: "Zombies taking over the world." Her: "oooh".)

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #124 on: November 08, 2011, 07:24:47 AM »
I think that all this time I've been looking at this show the wrong way. I approached it as a zombie show which happened to have some drama in it, when in reality its more of a drama which happens to have some zombies.

The whole last season I was frustrated with there not being enough zombies, but now looking at it from a different perspective, I think I'm enjoying it more.

This is the best angle to take on the series IMO. I am not expecting every episode to be a zombie kill all fest, I'm now accustomed to and enjoy the 'drama' aspect, them building these characters....but when some cool zombie stuff happens that is just a neat bonus.
  I would venture to guess that those who find themselves the most disappointed with the series are those who won't/can't/have yet to make that alteration in thier thinking and how they approach the show and/or what they expect from it. I think it's becoming pretty clear how this series is going to be structured as far as drama vs. action/zombie killing.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #125 on: November 08, 2011, 07:46:10 AM »
Well, I think this view might come from the notion that the zombie stuff is the only element the show does well.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #126 on: November 08, 2011, 08:05:30 AM »
I would love it if they moved on more, they've stayed at the farm for 4 episodes now, mostly cause Carl got shot obviously, but would love to see them move from place to place a bit more, like they did a bit during the first season.
Would also love to see another big city, like Atlanta (?) when it was pretty much deserted and Rick barely got out alive, would be cool if they had to go to a big city for supplies or something.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: November 08, 2011, 08:33:17 AM »
I'm mad that Lori is pregnant.  It's just going to be another stupid plot device to revolve around when it comes time for her to deliver.  The only way this pregnancy can be interesting is if she is forced to tell Rick that maybe its not his baby and then has a miscarriage or something.

This show is ruined if a baby comes into the picture.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: November 08, 2011, 08:56:32 AM »
I'm mad that Lori is pregnant.  It's just going to be another stupid plot device to revolve around when it comes time for her to deliver.  The only way this pregnancy can be interesting is if she is forced to tell Rick that maybe its not his baby and then has a miscarriage or something.

This show is ruined if a baby comes into the picture.
Given the frailty of pregnancy...the stressful and physically demanding environment they are in, the lack of proper nutrition....if the writers are trying to be 'realistic' about this I don't see how this pregnancy goes full term. Maybe it's a case of her having to tell Rick it's Shanes and creating that conflict and then there is a miscarriage or she is killed or something along those lines.
  I agree with the sentiment that these first 4 episodes have been less than enthralling, I personally dont mind the plot building aspects of these episodes and can deal with the lack of action IF there is a payoff. However, I don't think I'd be happy with a full season of 'drama' like this with little or no zombie action. I'm hoping the re-intorduction of Merle will stir up the pot a bit. It would almost have to given the demenor and instability of his character. 

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: November 08, 2011, 09:01:20 AM »
I mean, have they really been building a plot?  It doesn't really feel like it to me.  Carl getting shot hasn't really done much for any character.  It basically just brought everything back to the status quo.  Like if Carl didn't get shot and Sophia didn't go missing, Andrea woulda killed herself, Shane woulda left, T-Dog woulda given up.  But now everyone seems to back to their original state.

I just feel like 4 episodes and nothing has really moved on.  I liked this show because there was always something they were trying to do or accomplish.  There was always some mission to move the group forward.  I want to see more of this world that is completely obliterated.  It's pretty boring just being on a farm and isolated.  Not to mention they are just throwing in a gimmick like the zombie in the well to make an episode kind of interesting and create fake tension and suspense.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #130 on: November 08, 2011, 10:48:03 AM »
A lot has happened in the story, regardless of how long it has taken. Shane character has taken a complete 180 from what I originally thought. Maybe I'm wrong thinking he's really evil, but that's what the show is trying to get us to think. I think he's going to die for sure by the end of this season. I think Dale has some extremely haunting underlying back story that we are slowly building up to, idk why, but I just get that vibe. I can't seein T-dog dying. Not to sound racist, but the show needs a black guy. Unless a new one gets introduced I don't see him leaving.

The whole Lori being pregnant... I don't have any clue how that can play out. I highly doubt they'd kill her off during pregnancy. Rick as a character would fall apart at that point, not to mention I think it will be hard for the son to act out the role of having your mother and future sibling eaten. I'm guessing she miscarriages.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #131 on: November 09, 2011, 02:34:25 PM »
So yeah, last episode was meh, but after the one before it it was pretty hard for it not to be.

Also, fuck Merle coming back! Seriously, fuck that guy!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #132 on: November 09, 2011, 02:35:04 PM »
How does everyone know that Merle is coming back?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #133 on: November 09, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
How does everyone know that Merle is coming back?
He was shown on the preview for next week's episode.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: November 09, 2011, 02:38:29 PM »
Ohhhh.  Ok I don't see those because I watch it through Amazon.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #135 on: November 09, 2011, 02:47:47 PM »
Wouldn't be surprised if Merle is only in a dream sequence or a flashback, to "spice up" the farm-life at the ranch.
Seriously though, the more I think about it, the more logical it seems.

Oh god I don't hope so...

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #136 on: November 13, 2011, 06:42:01 PM »
Prediction:

Daryl acted really sketch last last episode when confronted about going off alone. He knows where his brother is, and his brother has the missing child.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #137 on: November 13, 2011, 07:21:01 PM »
Pretty good episode. I'm ready to see this farm situation come to a boil though.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 08:15:14 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #138 on: November 13, 2011, 10:32:07 PM »
A lot less action so far this season, just slow emotion plot scenes. I mean its not that bad not as interesting as the first season.

Really dragging on searching for the girl for this long? The well scene was stupid. What's the point in taking the zombie out and killing it? Would you seriously used the water if there was a walker in there for who knows how long? I could see blood all over it, it has to be already contaminated.

Asian guy hasn't has much story other than almost getting sent down the well to die, at least he got laid he deserves at least that for putting him in the situation. Hope next weeks episode is better.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2011, 04:13:25 AM by jcmistat »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #139 on: November 14, 2011, 04:04:42 AM »
The new episode was probably my favorite of the season so far, at least things are starting to happen.  :D
Also, inb4 my prediction about Merle.