Author Topic: Outcry Drum Cam  (Read 8283 times)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Outcry Drum Cam
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2011, 05:16:10 AM »
People, play well with others and respect your fellow posters.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2011, 06:32:45 AM »
 :hefdaddy

Offline GunsOfThePatriots

« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2011, 07:29:12 AM »
Nothing extraordinary
Get out.

So you are a DTF conservative . get some Manners First

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2011, 07:33:44 AM »
I agree with Guns, this clip was not that great. From a technical standpoint he didn't really do anything that MP couldn't do. From a musical, creative standpoint I thought it was atrocious.

« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2011, 07:41:27 AM »
ok and maybe you think after watching this i will tell you OH GOD MANGINI is great NO WAY !!!

Move on

I was just recommending it to you, nothing more, nothing less. I didn't expect any feedback. Learn some manners.

Sorry didn't Mean anything Bad . But for me (Just My Opinion) Mangini is not that impressive

see for me this is impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NiJu4lKZBc

this Too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7scPZS3zfKM

i think MM playing is not my cup of Tea . Sorry .

for me technique is not the absolute thing to seek on the Drums but how to use it in a defined Context wisely

sorry once again

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2011, 07:47:09 AM »
I agree with Guns, this clip was not that great. From a technical standpoint he didn't really do anything that MP couldn't do. From a musical, creative standpoint I thought it was atrocious.

Quite well said actually. I was hoping for something amazing and this wasn't it..
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2011, 07:59:42 AM »
Well, I'm a believer in that MM makes things look easy. It certainly was great drumming! Was it the best drumming I've ever seen? OF COURSE NOT! But was it good? YES!

Appreciating the video and saying it's great doesn't mean it's the best.

To those who didn't like it - do you like the song? (srs question, just wanting to know if it's the song or just the video)

« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2011, 08:19:56 AM »
The Song is Awesome . the Clip is awesome . the band is awesome . we are awesome

seriously the clip is good but it is not breakthrough or rocket science

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2011, 08:20:50 AM »
The Song is Awesome . the Clip is awesome . the band is awesome . we are awesome

:tup

Gotcha ;)

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2011, 08:24:03 AM »
Amazing as always. This clip confirms my doubts about the cymbal mix in ADTOE, i think some stuff is way low in the mix and compressed, and they go unnoticed.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2011, 08:25:10 AM »
No one said it was.  But the thread is obviously by and for people that like the clip.  It might be better to just stay out of the thread if you don't like it.  I'm just sayin'.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2011, 08:26:57 AM »
No one said it was.  But the thread is obviously by and for people that like the clip.  It might be better to just stay out of the thread if you don't like it.  I'm just sayin'.

Roger SIR  :biggrin:

Offline farsight

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2011, 09:09:25 AM »
for a while there, I genuinely thought I was on MP.com  :biggrin:

Amazing dynamic stuff from MM.

Offline Pirate

• Yeah buddy
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2011, 09:20:07 AM »
No one's bashing MM, we're just discussing the merit of the clip.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2011, 10:28:54 AM »
BTW, that Donati clip was insane.  He's a freak.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2011, 10:34:38 AM »
I really liked his drumming in this clip, but they should have done a clip of the hardest part which is around 6:37 to 8:40 in the studio version, i can't figure out how he plays that at all.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2011, 10:38:29 AM »
QFT

I've tried to find a youtube video where Donati plays really fast on the snare and toms while whirling the drumsticks and passing them from hand to hand, anybody has seen it?

Offline Knguro

« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2011, 11:11:25 AM »
QFT

I've tried to find a youtube video where Donati plays really fast on the snare and toms while whirling the drumsticks and passing them from hand to hand, anybody has seen it?

Yes...live. ;D
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline tofee35

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2011, 01:01:55 PM »
This was great simply because he's playing the drums in a totally unique way. Total ambidexterity (probably killed that spelling) is just so impressive to me. That's what impresses me. He's so calculated in every hit he makes which reminds me of Neil Peart alot. The cool thing is, if MP or Virgil were to play that part, it'd be totally different. That's the cool thing about how individual/unique the gods of drumming are. That's why I think it'd be awesome to see the auditions of each drummer. It could be a cool study.

Offline Knguro

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2011, 02:12:00 PM »
This was great simply because he's playing the drums in a totally unique way. Total ambidexterity (probably killed that spelling) is just so impressive to me. That's what impresses me. He's so calculated in every hit he makes which reminds me of Neil Peart alot. The cool thing is, if MP or Virgil were to play that part, it'd be totally different. That's the cool thing about how individual/unique the gods of drumming are. That's why I think it'd be awesome to see the auditions of each drummer. It could be a cool study.

We are still Talking about MM right?

Offline johncal

« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2011, 03:06:15 PM »
I don't know why MM bothers to supply the fans with clips if all they're going to do is insult him. And there's a lot of insulting in this thread going on.

If he walked on water there'd be those here that would complain that he wasn't dancing.

Offline InfraredDream

« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2011, 03:51:32 PM »
I don't know why MM bothers to supply the fans with clips if all they're going to do is insult him. And there's a lot of insulting in this thread going on.

If he walked on water there'd be those here that would complain that he wasn't dancing.

Thank you! Pretty much in the lines of what I wanted to say. Nobody said it's "rocket science" or "MP won't be able to do it". Just a wonderful clip of a part of a favourite (for me!) song by I drummer I like. It is always great to see such an angle when you enjoys someone's playing. It's great for the fans and nothing interesting for the rest of the world.

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2011, 07:14:23 PM »

He has received overwhelming praise from the vast majority of fans on the videos he has uploaded, so I assume he's very happy about doing it. The ones that express some kind of negativity (like me) are the minority, an almost negligible group which deep in our heartwould love to see DT live if we could. We just happen to not completely like what he's doing and have other favorite drummers

Offline tofee35

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2011, 07:41:59 PM »

Yes. Everything about ambidexterity, the video being great, being unique and a drumming god. Don't agree?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2011, 08:12:22 PM »
Spell ambidextrous tofee35?

"Amb  the number 7 the letter Q!!!!!................

I know there is 2 t's in catt. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Knguro

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2011, 09:12:59 PM »

I absolutly agree, it was just that someone was showing Donati videos.

Yes. Everything about ambidexterity, the video being great, being unique and a drumming god. Don't agree?

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2011, 10:22:49 PM »

You know he was spelling the word ambidexterity, right? And not the word ambidextrous?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2011, 04:15:02 AM »

You know he was spelling the word ambidexterity, right? And not the word ambidextrous?

It's a Brian Regan joke.  Look at his avatar silly.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline tofee35

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2011, 07:07:07 AM »

hahaaaa thank you for that!  :tup

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2011, 10:27:22 AM »
I would love to see the entire song from that angle. Mangini is a drum master... but I still prefer Portnoy.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2011, 10:57:36 AM »
I would love to see the entire song from that angle. Mangini is a drum master... but I still prefer Portnoy.

Thank you for saying "I prefer MP". Lately, it seems that some people have been obliged to bash MM to say to what extent they love MP. You can love both -as I do- and still be "right", nothing wrong with that.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
It seems to me what is missing from this discussion is why MM posted that clip. From his FB status:

"Here's a short clip showing the use of the kit. Being trained in Elementary School (Orchestra,) it helped me really like picking the right cymbal or drum to match a note on a wind or string instrument. Although I hit EVERYTHING on the kit except the 26", 18" and Pads in Outcry, this clip is enough to see why I have the splashes, trashes and toms arranged how I do. It is really, really hard to navigate some distances (you'll see I missed 1 18" Oriental hit,) but it is worth it and lots of fun. I'd love to try this on a 4 piece kit at a clinic one day, but it would not satisfy the young "kid" in me. I'm really happy most all DT fans support and allow me to share this kind of thing having it actually understood. You are the best ! Thanks"

I'm not a drummer so I'm not sure, but it sounds like he is using this clip to illustrate something he was saying in an interview about why his kit is arranged the way it is. Something about making sure to hit the cymbal with the correct tonal quality for the note being played. This video really illustrates that to me just from the sound.

I think MM is still in a teaching mode and hasn't quite left Berklee yet.

Comparing this video to Virgil's solo video seems a bit off base to me.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline composure77

« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2011, 11:35:35 AM »
Too much bashing, not enough appreciation!

Offline ishak540m

« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2011, 11:39:40 AM »
It seems to me what is missing from this discussion is why MM posted that clip. From his FB status:

"Here's a short clip showing the use of the kit. Being trained in Elementary School (Orchestra,) it helped me really like picking the right cymbal or drum to match a note on a wind or string instrument. Although I hit EVERYTHING on the kit except the 26", 18" and Pads in Outcry, this clip is enough to see why I have the splashes, trashes and toms arranged how I do. It is really, really hard to navigate some distances (you'll see I missed 1 18" Oriental hit,) but it is worth it and lots of fun. I'd love to try this on a 4 piece kit at a clinic one day, but it would not satisfy the young "kid" in me. I'm really happy most all DT fans support and allow me to share this kind of thing having it actually understood. You are the best ! Thanks"

I'm not a drummer so I'm not sure, but it sounds like he is using this clip to illustrate something he was saying in an interview about why his kit is arranged the way it is. Something about making sure to hit the cymbal with the correct tonal quality for the note being played. This video really illustrates that to me just from the sound.

I think MM is still in a teaching mode and hasn't quite left Berklee yet.

Comparing this video to Virgil's solo video seems a bit off base to me.

exactly.

Offline Chrissalix

« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2011, 12:37:32 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5BOroBrHF0

So MP, i'm going to play your parts left handed. Then right handed with added cymbal strokes. Then lefthanded again, then ambidextrous fills, then left handed again. Your move.