Author Topic: McDonald's Cashier beatdown  (Read 12200 times)

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
Re: McDonald's Cashier beatdown
« Reply #70 on: October 16, 2011, 03:05:57 AM »
I 100% agree with 73109 the cashier shouldn't have hit back and the situation most likely would have defused. I worked at a McDonald's as a manager for nearly 6 years. During that time I had countless drunkards try to fight me, customer's irate over various thing, I had to get in the middle of fights, a customer threw a steal debit machine mount at me and one time an escaped mental patient came in and threatened me with a knife. I had to deal with this nut job for almost a half hour before the police arrived. Not once did I have to throw a punch.

I'm not saying that fighting will never be an option but  a sharp wit, a strong posture and a calm demeanor will defuse most situations. The cashier should have backed off called the cops and had her charged.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #71 on: October 16, 2011, 03:11:09 AM »
Now if some chick decided to hit me and I wasn't at work, I may act very differently. Not to the extent that guy did but I may just slap the bitch back depending on whether or not I deserved it.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2011, 06:12:26 AM »
1. I agree, in principle, that violence should be the LAST resort to solving a problem and should only be in self-defense.

2. It is not (IMHO, of course) "self defense" to continually bludgeon someone with a lead pipe who is already down on the floor.  Yeah, I get it that we can't see the person being hit, but from the reported injuries (fractured skull/broken arm) the cashier went to far.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #73 on: October 16, 2011, 06:33:41 AM »
Someone said earlier that watching the video made them more understanding of the cashier's actions, but for me all the video really showed was just how he really did take it too far - I kept expecting him to stop every time there was a long pause. Reading the story I was completely sympathetic to the cashier, and I still am a whole lot more sympathetic to him than to the customers, but I think the consensus is right that he went too far.

We can't see the women in the video, so I suppose we can't be completely informed on whether or not he had any possible reason to continue, as there was some debate about earlier. But most of the evidence suggests to me that it was no longer necessary self defence at all, and it was just blind rage making him continue to hit someone that was already down. As long as the girls were on the ground, which they appeared to be, the only reason to continue to attack them is if they were getting to their feet very quickly and seemed to still be very aggressive, which didn't appear to be the case given the time between the hits, or if they were reaching for a gun or maybe a knife - and I assume if they had been armed it would have been reported in the story. So while I suppose there is a possibility that it could still be considered self defence, it seems pretty unlikely. Once they were down on the ground he could have backed away even further - he would still have had the pipe if they did come back for him.

Having said that, even though he's in the wrong, I still think what happened is pretty understandable. He obviously had trouble controlling his anger, but it's not his fault he was put in a position where he would have to. He wasn't going out looking for a fight which he would end up taking too far, he was just working and those customers put him in a position where he had to defend himself, and then adrenaline, rage, whatever kicked in and he went too far. He should face the consequences for that, but ultimately the blame still lies with those customers.

And to people saying that he should not have defended himself at all, I completely disagree. He was just doing his job, and the customers weren't just "getting beligerent" any more, they physically attacked him. He shoved them off him and ran away into the back of the restaurant, out of the conflict, where the customers shouldn't be able to go, and they then jumped over the counter and ran after him. What other reason would they have for doing that if not to attempt to cause him further physical harm? If they were going to "cool down" if the cashier backed away, it seemed like him running away into the back of the restaurant would be the time they would do it. It seems like if the whole restaurant was "willing to defend him if there was any sign of danger", now would be the time to do it. And it strikes me as the type of area where people who are prepared to get aggressive in a situation like that could easily be carrying a knife, or even worse.  So I completely understand his decision to defend himself, and while I absolutely don't agree with continuing to hit people in the head when (as far as I can tell) they were no longer a threat (as that seems like a good way to kill someone), I do kind of understand how he ended up doing it.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2011, 07:43:29 AM »
No offense, 73109, but I think you are very naive.

100%. Cole, you're very smart.

A few weeks ago I was in a drunken brawl with my buddies. We went to a diner and my friend Rob went to the bathroom and someone was in it. Door was locked and he knocked and the dude yelled "fuck off!' and Rob yelled back "go fuck your mother!" He comes out to me and my other two friends and said 'guys, i think I started some shit" and told us what happened. The guy came waltzing out of the bathroom, and started talking shit to Rob. Rob was apologizing, albeit right in the guy's face. Guy wouldn't listen to it. He then asked to go outside to talk to not ruin people's dinner (at 3 am LOL). We go outside, 4 of us, one of him. He started throwing punches at Rob and I started to pull Rob off while my other friends pinned the other guy. Two of the girls he was with came out and fucking PEPPER SPRAYED Rob. Then they started kick and clawing at him. I lost my grip and Rob bolted. The girls started throwing rocks and bricks at us. Luckily, they were just as drunk as their friend, which wasn't as nearly as drunk as we were, and they missed.

All people are capable of being insanely violent. You have no idea of the person slapping you his high, drunk or just a fucking psychopath. You have to defend yourself. Yeah, the cashier ended up taking it too far, but in the beginning, I saw nothing wrong.

Your analogy fails in that I have absolutely no problem with what you did...You stopped the dude from hitting your friend and ran. You or anyone else never threw a punch. The only people that perpetuated the violence were the dude and his two chicks.

Also, probably not the greatest idea to tell a dude to go fuck his mother.

Well, that's because I don't my friend nor myself getting arrested :P I'm saying that people are capable of doing things like that, so it's completely understandable to react the way the cashier did, until he crossed the line.

@El Barto: IFKR. They're fucking crazy

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #75 on: October 16, 2011, 07:55:43 AM »
I don't know if I'm the only one here so thinks this, but after reading this/watching the video, my only thoughts are:

"Why the flying fuck did that cashier think it was necessary to beat them with A GODDAMN METAL BAR?!"

Like seriously. The rest of you are like, "well, I think the ladies should be charged," or "he went a little past self-defense there," etc.
I'm stunned, just absolutely stunned that the cashier's response is to inflict such a degree of damage to those ladies. Sure, they're being huge bitches, they did "assault" him and they came after him.

But for god's sake, it was only two women. He was in a store full of customers and employees who all would have come to his aid had he been in any hint of danger.

And yes, I agree that you should have a right to defend yourself. Duh. But when you exercise that right by fucking attacking two women with a metal bar, then you've wayyyyyy overshot the boundaries of self-defense.

I guess I must have a warped sense of reality or something. That was fucking overkill from the moment he thought about picking up the bar. Both the ladies and the man should be charged. But mostly the man.

edit: Props to you, though, El Barto. Your threads never cease to be interesting, and for that, I applaud you.

I assume you just glossed over my posts, right? :lol

I 100% agree with 73109 the cashier shouldn't have hit back and the situation most likely would have defused. I worked at a McDonald's as a manager for nearly 6 years. During that time I had countless drunkards try to fight me, customer's irate over various thing, I had to get in the middle of fights, a customer threw a steal debit machine mount at me and one time an escaped mental patient came in and threatened me with a knife. I had to deal with this nut job for almost a half hour before the police arrived. Not once did I have to throw a punch.

I'm not saying that fighting will never be an option but  a sharp wit, a strong posture and a calm demeanor will defuse most situations. The cashier should have backed off called the cops and had her charged.

Fuckin' A, bro!

Well, that's because I don't my friend nor myself getting arrested :P I'm saying that people are capable of doing things like that, so it's completely understandable to react the way the cashier did, until he crossed the line.

Of course people can be fucking nuts. However, that does not mean acting just like those who are crazy would help the situation. The two sentences don't really go together.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #76 on: October 16, 2011, 08:56:06 AM »
There is a time and place for violence. Violence has been made into such a dirty word. I'm not a hell of a lot older than you Cole, but when I was younger, my brothers and I would physically fight all the time. It was just horseplay, but I mean we would even throw punches at each other in our teenage years. We played dodgeball in gym class in elementary school. By the time I was a senior in HS, they wanted to change the rules were the objective was to knock bowling pins over instead of aiming for people because it was too violent. The teacher explained the rules dripping with sarcasm and then said "I can't tell you to not knock the pins over and just hit each other" and gave us a huge wink.

Like seriously? There is a time and place and if you don't get that shit out of your system, you're going to beat a customer at McDonald's with a lead pipe. I've gotten my ass whooped more than I've whooped ass, too. I understand pacifism, but I think pacifists are completely naive. There is always going to be someone who wants to hurt someone else. You ought to know how to defend yourself from those assholes.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
There is always going to be someone who wants to hurt someone else. You ought to know how to defend yourself from those assholes.

in that video, the cashier is attacked by two unarmed females (neither of whom seemed too dangerous). The cashier is a male (so the odds are he has a physical advantage over at least one of them) and he's surrounded by coworkers and bystanders.

He shouldn't of even had to defend himself, since there was nothing to defend himself from. Those ladies hardly count as a threat, imo. He could have done just fine holding them off with his bare hands, or just have run away (like Cole suggested; and I believe was the right option)
there was never the need to go grab the metal bar in the first place. That was just taking "self-defense" to an extreme, right off the bat.

but that's just my opinion

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2011, 09:50:28 AM »
There is always going to be someone who wants to hurt someone else. You ought to know how to defend yourself from those assholes.

in that video, the cashier is attacked by two unarmed females (neither of whom seemed too dangerous). The cashier is a male (so the odds are he has a physical advantage over at least one of them) and he's surrounded by coworkers and bystanders.

He shouldn't of even had to defend himself, since there was nothing to defend himself from. Those ladies hardly count as a threat, imo. He could have done just fine holding them off with his bare hands, or just have run away (like Cole suggested; and I believe was the right option)
there was never the need to go grab the metal bar in the first place. That was just taking "self-defense" to an extreme, right off the bat.

but that's just my opinion
I used to work with a guy who insisted that there wasn't a woman on Earth who could kick his ass.  He was wrong too.   :lol

Knowing nothing about the backgrounds of these girls,  you make a very dangerous assumption.  How do you know she didn't just wrap up 4 years at Bedford Hills?  There's absolutely no reason to assume that the girls aren't dangerous,  and having a size advantage doesn't really matter much either.

Also,  where were all these other employees that you say would have helped him out?  The altercation was well underway before it escalated, and I don't see any of his coworkers standing near by.  Maybe if there had been three of them behind the counter as soon as they turned belligerent, then the two chicks wouldn't have felt so confrontational. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2011, 09:51:56 AM »
fair points, but I still stand by my statement that pulling out a metal bar and attacking was out of bounds.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2011, 10:05:36 AM »
A question for the New Yorkers:  Why wasn't there security in that establishment?  If you find a McDonalds down here that's open at 12:30,  you'll also find an off duty cop working there.  Even a nice restaurant in a pleasant suburb.  A real cop, too.  Not the rental variety.  It's bad enough the cashier didn't have any backup whatsoever from his co-workers,  but not having any security on hand would have made me pretty damned edgy. 

I'm guessing that Micky-Dee's and the franchisee are getting sued from both ends on this one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
But for god's sake, it was only two women. He was in a store full of customers and employees who all would have come to his aid had he been in any hint of danger.

You have much more faith in your fellow citizen than I do. I would never assume out of hand any passer-by, customer, or co-worker would come to my aid if I was being physically attacked.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2011, 04:28:55 PM »
A question for the New Yorkers:  Why wasn't there security in that establishment?  If you find a McDonalds down here that's open at 12:30,  you'll also find an off duty cop working there.  Even a nice restaurant in a pleasant suburb.  A real cop, too.  Not the rental variety.  It's bad enough the cashier didn't have any backup whatsoever from his co-workers,  but not having any security on hand would have made me pretty damned edgy. 

I'm guessing that Micky-Dee's and the franchisee are getting sued from both ends on this one.

This is never the case in NY or any place I have ever been to.  So I think you are the odd one out in having a cop hanging around an establishment to protect it.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2011, 04:45:55 PM »

This is never the case in NY or any place I have ever been to.  So I think you are the odd one out in having a cop hanging around an establishment to protect it.
It's common in my area too, if a place is open late. It's not a constant, but I certainly see it pretty often.

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
I don't know about charging the guy with a felony, but he obviously has some rage issues. I think he went way over the line, past the point of self-defense - but he's not the responsible party. Charging him with anything seems ridiculous to me; the two women need to face some sort of penalty other than a sever ass-beating.

Adding security seems stupid to me. Seriously, how often does something like this happen? Also, from my experience at a concert hall, the security guard is just as likely to the beat the shit out of the women as that guy, or taze them, or go over the line in some other way. I think the best solution to problems like this is try and make the conditions exist whereby large scale poverty doesn't exist, so that people don't have to steal/break the law to survive.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: October 17, 2011, 10:09:48 AM »
There is always a cop in the McDs in downtown Seattle, and I think it is actually SPD, not a rent-a-cop/private security guard. I'll see if I can verify after work through the windows, as I will never, ever go in there.

I think the best solution to problems like this is try and make the conditions exist whereby large scale poverty doesn't exist, so that people don't have to steal/break the law to survive.

While I agree with you in principle, this may not be the best example to make this argument. The gal was paying for her Big Macs with a $50 bill, after all. :)
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: October 17, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
I also I should add that Greenwich Village is in no way shape or form a ghetto.  It's a really nice area.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline livehard

« Reply #87 on: October 17, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »

Ya I don't see any cops in NYC fast food...

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #88 on: October 17, 2011, 04:52:01 PM »
There is always a cop in the McDs in downtown Seattle, and I think it is actually SPD, not a rent-a-cop/private security guard. I'll see if I can verify after work through the windows, as I will never, ever go in there.

Then I sorta have to ask why public funds are so obviously benefiting one private business so much, or atleast ask if McDonalds is doing something in return for such a service. I guess I'd say a cop's presence would probably deter the incident from happening at all, but if it actually happened, things still might be uglier.

I think the best solution to problems like this is try and make the conditions exist whereby large scale poverty doesn't exist, so that people don't have to steal/break the law to survive.

While I agree with you in principle, this may not be the best example to make this argument. The gal was paying for her Big Macs with a $50 bill, after all. :)
[/quote]

I guess I was assuming it was counterfeit, or why else would the woman make such a big fuss - and actually, that could be a good reason why the women aren't being charged with anything, I bet, they confessed and got a plea bargain.

Also, why is having a $50 sign of great wealth? I get $50's from time to time, and I'm hardly wealthy.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2011, 05:09:31 PM »
If they're going to make that big of a deal over a $50, I completely think they're suspicious, I mean honestly, it wouldn't have taken that long to check it, so I'm thinking it was a counterfeit and they got violent over fear of getting caught.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2011, 10:25:55 PM »
Quote from: The Man
Sec. 35.20 Justification; use of physical force in defense of premises and in defense of a person in the course of burglary.
1. Any person may use physical force upon another person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate what he reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission by such other person of a crime involving damage to premises. He may use any degree of physical force, other than deadly physical force, which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose, and he may use deadly physical force if he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of arson.
2. A person in possession or control of any premises, or a person licensed or privileged to be thereon or therein, may use physical force upon another person when he reasonably believes such to be necessary to prevent or terminate what he reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission by such other person of a criminal trespass upon such premises. He may use any degree of physical force, other than deadly physical force, which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose, and he may use deadly physical force in order to prevent or terminate the commission or attempted commission of arson, as prescribed in subdivision one, or in the course of a burglary or attempted burglary, as prescribed in subdivision three
So not only do we have the self defense angle,  but it would appear that the State of New York also authorizes him to beat the living shit out of her as soon as she jumps over the counter. 

This has no bearing on the question of whether or not he went to far,  but it does address his ability to defend the restaurant to a degree he sees as reasonable.

If they're going to make that big of a deal over a $50, I completely think they're suspicious, I mean honestly, it wouldn't have taken that long to check it, so I'm thinking it was a counterfeit and they got violent over fear of getting caught.
If I had to take a guess,  he was following SOP and investigating large bills,  and the girl took it personally.  I know I certainly don't like people suspecting me of being a thief.  She didn't strike me as the sort that'd correctly interpret the distinction between suspecting everybody and suspecting her personally.
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #91 on: October 17, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »
I've never seen anyone get upset over having a bill checked, ever. Especially not to such a degree as to start slapping and jumping over counters and shit. I've seen customers pissed over a lot of things, but that's never been one of them.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #92 on: October 17, 2011, 10:34:20 PM »
Never discount a woman's ability to lose her shit over absolutely anything.   :lol

In all seriousness,  I suspect there was already static between them.  I'm merely pointing out why she might have flipped out over a legit fifty.
E.F. Benson

Offline livehard

« Reply #93 on: October 18, 2011, 10:04:23 AM »
Never discount a woman's ability to lose her shit over absolutely anything.   :lol

:lol :tup

Offline PraXis

« Reply #94 on: October 18, 2011, 10:55:57 AM »
If it was just a verbal argument, it'd be a non-issue. The girl jumped over the counter and the guy was right to INITIALLY defend himself (i.e. should get her down and then restrain her until the cops arrive). He went too far with the beating and wasn't he just out of prison for manslaughter? These people are all members of the culture of violence in America. These violent outbreaks occur at McD and Denny's constantly.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #95 on: October 18, 2011, 12:13:52 PM »

I'll sign on with that one too  :lol    :tup

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2011, 02:10:52 PM »

I'll sign on with that one too  :lol    :tup

Possible, but improbable. I never once saw a drunk chick do anything like that when I worked in a bar, or heard about anything like that happening.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #97 on: December 03, 2011, 10:58:47 PM »
Happy to see this:  https://www.cnn.com/2011/12/03/justice/new-york--mcdonalds-beating/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

A fast-food worker whose run-in with two unruly customers was captured on cell phone video last month will not be indicted on assault charges, prosecutors said Saturday.

A grand jury voted against indicting Rayon McIntosh, who was seen allegedly swinging a metal object against two patrons at a McDonald's restaurant in Manhattan's Greenwich Village.

And the girls still have their charges pending.  It's a shame that the guy had to spend so long at Rikers,  but at least it worked out in the end.  Now he's planning on suing McDonald's,  and he'll probably settle very nicely when it's all said and done.
E.F. Benson

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #98 on: December 03, 2011, 11:23:56 PM »
Why does he have a case against McDonalds?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #99 on: December 03, 2011, 11:24:16 PM »
So does this guy get any punishment at all?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #100 on: December 03, 2011, 11:33:55 PM »
You mean aside from the 45 days he spent at Riker's Island?  He was no-billed.  They won't be bringing any charges against him.

Why does he have a case against McDonalds?
For failing to provide adequate security.  This applies to pretty much any place of business.  He'll sue and he'd win except that McD's will settle this pretty quickly.

Then I sorta have to ask why public funds are so obviously benefiting one private business so much, or atleast ask if McDonalds is doing something in return for such a service. I guess I'd say a cop's presence would probably deter the incident from happening at all, but if it actually happened, things still might be uglier.
There's nothing public about it.  The cops are working on their own time as employees of the store they're protecting.  All PD's have policies about off duty security work.  Some don't allow it.  Others allow it but not in uniform.  Yet others like Dallas let's you work in uniform.  The Central Market down the street has an off-duty tactical officer riding around on a mountain bike all day. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2011, 11:40:10 PM »
You mean aside from the 45 days he spent at Riker's Island?  He was no-billed.  They won't be bringing any charges against him.

Ok. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in their article, and I didn't know even know what it was until you just mentioned it and I Googled it. In that case, I'd say he doesn't need any further charges anyway. But he doesn't deserve a thing more out of this imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »

Ok. I didn't see that mentioned anywhere in their article, and I didn't know even know what it was until you just mentioned it and I Googled it. In that case, I'd say he doesn't need any further charges anyway. But he doesn't deserve a thing more out of this imo.
He couldn't afford bail,  so he's been in lock-up ever since.  He got out yesterday. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Scheavo

« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2011, 12:51:53 AM »
There's nothing public about it.  The cops are working on their own time as employees of the store they're protecting.  All PD's have policies about off duty security work.  Some don't allow it.  Others allow it but not in uniform.  Yet others like Dallas let's you work in uniform.  The Central Market down the street has an off-duty tactical officer riding around on a mountain bike all day.

I'm fine with that, but I"m not sure that's always the case.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2011, 09:06:58 AM »

Agreed