Author Topic: McDonald's Cashier beatdown  (Read 12111 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: McDonald's Cashier beatdown
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2011, 12:00:00 PM »
I'm not a violent person either.  I just don't see the appeal of dropping to a fetal position and letting two girls kick my ass.  Particularly in an area where things could conceivably turn deadly due to carelessness or malice.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2011, 12:01:10 PM »
Cole, your transformation into PR's only true leftist is coming along well. I'm proud of you!

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2011, 12:03:25 PM »
I'm not a violent person either.  I just don't see the appeal of dropping to a fetal position and letting two girls kick my ass.  Particularly in an area where things could conceivably turn deadly due to carelessness or malice.

Especially around some hot grease and other stuff with serious potential

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2011, 12:07:00 PM »

I dunno. I've always been fascinating by people who completely refuse to participate in violence. Like, people who'll burn themselves before they resist a riot cop hitting them with a nightstick. I'm not sure it's what I'd consider the most moral approach to things but I certainly can see why some people think it is.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2011, 12:15:59 PM »

I dunno. I've always been fascinating by people who completely refuse to participate in violence. Like, people who'll burn themselves before they resist a riot cop hitting them with a nightstick. I'm not sure it's what I'd consider the most moral approach to things but I certainly can see why some people think it is.
Yeah,  I can get that.  There's difference, though,  between taking a moral stand against a higher authority and letting two stupid twats kick your ass.  Somehow I don't think those two girls would have appreciated your display of moral superiority (just a hunch).   
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2011, 01:12:33 PM »
Am I the only one that thinks that fighting back in any shape or form is a no-no. What the hell is the woman going to do? She slaps you, and then you back away and call the cops. It doesn't seem that hard.

If someone is threatening my family's safety and the only recourse is to fight back, I would think I have a moral obligation to do so.

It must at least be morally permissible to fight back to protect one's own safety.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
I don't think there is anything wrong with defending yourself at all.  That guy had every right to stop the assault.  I do believe he went too far afterwards though.  He kept coming back for more hits.  Now, we don't see what was going on of course.  Who is to say one of the girls didn't pull out a knife or something?  Or reached for something?  The video tapes looks like he took it was too far, but I don't know if I can blame him for it at this point.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2011, 01:27:46 PM »
As a very non-violent person, I think defending yourself in that situation is definitely the way to go, but that cashier obviously took it way too far.  All three of the people involved in this incident seem like complete wastes of life.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2011, 01:47:05 PM »
I've said it before and I'll say it again (IT WAS ALL TOO MUCH FOR THE ALIEN!!!) that I don't think violence is the answer in this case. Personally, I don't think the chick would have flipped out as much if the dude would not have hit her back. That was his big mistake. You never fight fire with fire, and what he did will get his ass throw in jail.

Don't get me wrong, the two chicks are more at fault here. However, what the cashier did was wrong, and if I was in his place, you bet your ass I would have taken the slap, and called the cops. If they left before the cops could show up, at least I would never have to deal with them again.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2011, 01:57:56 PM »
If I may ask Barto, which "direction" did you see this conversation going toward as to put it in P/R?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2011, 01:59:51 PM »
No offense, 73109, but I think you are very naive.  Do you really think girls who are willing to go over a counter and slap a cashier are gonna stop at just one slap if the victim is unwilling to defend him or herself?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2011, 02:05:58 PM »
Do you really think the customer would have continued being a bitch had the dude not slapped her back? A simple "Get the fuck out of my store or I will call the cops" from a manager would have most likely sufficed, but because both parties resorted to violence, you saw the outcome.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2011, 02:13:50 PM »
Yes.  I do.  Besides, once a person physically assaults you, you have no idea how far they are willing to take it, so defending yourself is usually the better option rather than just standing there and taking it. Should the cashier have taken it as far as he did?  Of course not.  But standing there and letting someone assault you without defending yourself at all is a recipe for getting your ass kicked.  I am not even saying that the cashier should have started swinging back, but taking an aggressive stance or threatening them with retaliation will often deter the original aggressor from continuing their assault.

Bottom line: those stupid girls started a fight and got their butts kicked.  It is like a person shot breaking into someone's house crying that they were only there to steal a TV, and that the punishment didn't fit the crime.  Regardless of whether or not it got taken too far, your actions directly led to what happened to you.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2011, 02:18:25 PM »
I understand where you are coming from. I really do. I just can't justify a violent reaction. Also, I really don't think the chick would have continued with the assault if the cashier hadn't retaliated.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2011, 03:15:09 PM »
If I may ask Barto, which "direction" did you see this conversation going toward as to put it in P/R?
We haven't seen any replies from Praxis or Gmillerdrake yet.
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2011, 03:18:15 PM »
Ah...ok. :corn

Offline Millais

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2011, 04:09:08 PM »
The cashier had every right to defend himself in the situation, since they were coming at him physically, but to me there is a point where you overstep the line of self defense, to just violence.

The cashier clearly took many more hits than was necessary to merely incapacitate the women and stop the attack, and that's where the line is for me. When he came back to hit more times, it was out of rage, and not self defense anymore.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2011, 05:04:22 PM »
No offense, 73109, but I think you are very naive.

100%. Cole, you're very smart.

A few weeks ago I was in a drunken brawl with my buddies. We went to a diner and my friend Rob went to the bathroom and someone was in it. Door was locked and he knocked and the dude yelled "fuck off!' and Rob yelled back "go fuck your mother!" He comes out to me and my other two friends and said 'guys, i think I started some shit" and told us what happened. The guy came waltzing out of the bathroom, and started talking shit to Rob. Rob was apologizing, albeit right in the guy's face. Guy wouldn't listen to it. He then asked to go outside to talk to not ruin people's dinner (at 3 am LOL). We go outside, 4 of us, one of him. He started throwing punches at Rob and I started to pull Rob off while my other friends pinned the other guy. Two of the girls he was with came out and fucking PEPPER SPRAYED Rob. Then they started kick and clawing at him. I lost my grip and Rob bolted. The girls started throwing rocks and bricks at us. Luckily, they were just as drunk as their friend, which wasn't as nearly as drunk as we were, and they missed.

All people are capable of being insanely violent. You have no idea of the person slapping you his high, drunk or just a fucking psychopath. You have to defend yourself. Yeah, the cashier ended up taking it too far, but in the beginning, I saw nothing wrong.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »

A few weeks ago I was in a drunken brawl with my buddies. We went to a diner and my friend Rob went to the bathroom and someone was in it. Door was locked and he knocked and the dude yelled "fuck off!' and Rob yelled back "go fuck your mother!" He comes out to me and my other two friends and said 'guys, i think I started some shit" and told us what happened. The guy came waltzing out of the bathroom, and started talking shit to Rob. Rob was apologizing, albeit right in the guy's face. Guy wouldn't listen to it. He then asked to go outside to talk to not ruin people's dinner (at 3 am LOL). We go outside, 4 of us, one of him. He started throwing punches at Rob and I started to pull Rob off while my other friends pinned the other guy. Two of the girls he was with came out and fucking PEPPER SPRAYED Rob. Then they started kick and clawing at him. I lost my grip and Rob bolted. The girls started throwing rocks and bricks at us. Luckily, they were just as drunk as their friend, which wasn't as nearly as drunk as we were, and they missed.

All people are capable of being insanely violent. You have no idea of the person slapping you his high, drunk or just a fucking psychopath. You have to defend yourself. Yeah, the cashier ended up taking it too far, but in the beginning, I saw nothing wrong.
It's always the girlfriends that get ya.  :lol
E.F. Benson

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2011, 07:51:59 PM »

Your analogy fails in that I have absolutely no problem with what you did...You stopped the dude from hitting your friend and ran. You or anyone else never threw a punch. The only people that perpetuated the violence were the dude and his two chicks.

Also, probably not the greatest idea to tell a dude to go fuck his mother.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2011, 08:07:25 PM »
I agree with El Barto, and I don't understand why the cashier is being charged with possessing a weapon illegally.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2011, 08:33:30 PM »
No offense, 73109, but I think you are very naive.  Do you really think girls who are willing to go over a counter and slap a cashier are gonna stop at just one slap if the victim is unwilling to defend him or herself?

It depends. I don't think they'd knock him on the ground and then continue to bash his skull in, that's for sure. But the two people in the video definitely had issues, so who knows.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2011, 08:33:41 PM »
Is the new fad fighting in McDonald's restaurants?

From Planking to Coning to McViolence

Welcome to McDonald's, may I beat you senseless?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2011, 08:42:08 PM »
Is the new fad fighting in McDonald's restaurants?

From Planking to Coning to McViolence

Welcome to McDonald's, may I beat you senseless?

Would you like fists with that?

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2011, 09:03:58 PM »
I don't know if I'm the only one here so thinks this, but after reading this/watching the video, my only thoughts are:

"Why the flying fuck did that cashier think it was necessary to beat them with A GODDAMN METAL BAR?!"

Like seriously. The rest of you are like, "well, I think the ladies should be charged," or "he went a little past self-defense there," etc.
I'm stunned, just absolutely stunned that the cashier's response is to inflict such a degree of damage to those ladies. Sure, they're being huge bitches, they did "assault" him and they came after him.

But for god's sake, it was only two women. He was in a store full of customers and employees who all would have come to his aid had he been in any hint of danger.

And yes, I agree that you should have a right to defend yourself. Duh. But when you exercise that right by fucking attacking two women with a metal bar, then you've wayyyyyy overshot the boundaries of self-defense.

I guess I must have a warped sense of reality or something. That was fucking overkill from the moment he thought about picking up the bar. Both the ladies and the man should be charged. But mostly the man.

edit: Props to you, though, El Barto. Your threads never cease to be interesting, and for that, I applaud you.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: October 15, 2011, 09:08:29 PM »
But for god's sake, it was only two women. He was in a store full of customers and employees who all would have come to his aid had he been in any hint of danger.

Yeah. The fact that his coworkers were urging him to stop is pretty telling. The guy was not in danger, yet he continued to beat the girl on the ground. The cashier seems to have a lust for blood. And, honestly, I thought that after watching the video for the first time, before I'd read the article pointing out that he's previously been convicted of manslaughter.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: October 15, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »
One thing to remember here is that this cashier probably wasn't thinking. I'm not saying its an excuse... But if I'm working a McDonalds, especially in the shetto, I'm going to hate my job. If ANYBODY jumps over that counter, I'm most likely losing my cool/freaking out too,

I really hope this statement isn't taken as offensive. I would never say this in the GD, but I think in these parts of the forums you guys will not go off on me for it.

Maybe it's just me, or the area I live... But it is very rare to see a white person act out like this. I see episodes like this all the time at school, in the mall, at bars etc....99% of the time it's a minority. Why is this? I'm being completely serious here.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #62 on: October 15, 2011, 09:23:11 PM »
I'm not defending anyone here.  All are wrong in the video but when you feel your life in danger you'd loose it with a good chance of going over the line. 

Best bet is all get charged with something.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 09:37:24 PM »

Yeah. The fact that his coworkers were urging him to stop is pretty telling. The guy was not in danger, yet he continued to beat the girl on the ground. The cashier seems to have a lust for blood. And, honestly, I thought that after watching the video for the first time, before I'd read the article pointing out that he's previously been convicted of manslaughter.
All they did was shout at him to stop, could have easily tackled him and taken the metal bar, but they just watched.
Group mentality is a dangerous thing.  There's been countless examples of people not doing anything for someone in danger.
case in point.  Last year there was a man in New Orleans who was stabbed and dying in the street,  you know what people did?  Call 911?  Get him help?  NOPE, most people took pictures or videos of him and some even posed by his dying body.
Another example, I can't remember the specifics, but a kid was raping a girl in the hallway of a school, and a huge group just gathered around watching him rape the poor girl, no one even tried to stop him.
Group Mentality is dangerous because you just think " Oh someone else will do something" and you don't want to be the one person to stand out.
Oi.

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2011, 09:39:17 PM »
at that point, i wouldn't have been surprised if he attacked them if/when they intervened

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: October 15, 2011, 09:40:15 PM »

All they did was shout at him to stop, could have easily tackled him and taken the metal bar, but they just watched.

Not to sound like a pussy here... But if a co-worker of mine just knocked out two people with a lead pipe and kept hitting them.... There's no way in hell I'm trying to get that pipe out of his hands.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #66 on: October 15, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »

Group mentality is a dangerous thing.  There's been countless examples of people not doing anything for someone in danger.
case in point.  Last year there was a man in New Orleans who was stabbed and dying in the street,  you know what people did?  Call 911?  Get him help?  NOPE, most people took pictures or videos of him and some even posed by his dying body.
Another example, I can't remember the specifics, but a kid was raping a girl in the hallway of a school, and a huge group just gathered around watching him rape the poor girl, no one even tried to stop him.
Group Mentality is dangerous because you just think " Oh someone else will do something" and you don't want to be the one person to stand out.
Oi.
Made this a new post since others posted before I could finish editing.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #67 on: October 15, 2011, 09:44:52 PM »

Oi.
Made this a new post since others posted before I could finish editing.
Honestly, in cases like this I'd charge everyone watching for being accomplices. I hope this is what happened? It takes more than being simply passive/shy/afraid, it takes being either completely soulless or genuinely evil. I know often it is hard to oppose the group, but there are situations where a normal person should have a red light flashing in his head and doing something no matter what. If they don't, they're fucked up just as much as the person directly responsible and I don't want them around me just as much as him.

As for the thread... I agree with the general opinion. He defended himself and scared them - that's enough. Attacking further was crossing the line very far and wasn't any better than what they had done.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #68 on: October 15, 2011, 10:16:03 PM »

Not to sound like a pussy here... But if a co-worker of mine just knocked out two people with a lead pipe and kept hitting them.... There's no way in hell I'm trying to get that pipe out of his hands.
Quite frankly,  after reading the position of the average bloke in this forum,  if I'm forced to defend myself with a solid piece of metal,  I'm knocking out anybody that tries to take it from me.  I don't think Shift Manager Dave is going to attack me,  but I'd just as soon not let his misguided notion of reality leave me vulnerable to two crazed women now operating on adrenaline and fight or flight. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: October 16, 2011, 12:30:11 AM »
I'd imagine "Shift Manager Dave" has a much better grip on reality than the guy who's just got attacked and is in the middle of beating someone on the floor with a lead pipe.

What I find most unlikely about your defense of the cashier is you seem to be suggesting that he actually had complete control of his faculties when the girls were coming after him and then still when he'd already beat one down and was showing no sign of stopping, like that last hit and "fuck yall" were somehow necessary to his survival. I find that highly unlikely, but I don't think any of us can know for sure just based on this video.