Author Topic: About Live Scenes From New York  (Read 1574 times)

Offline adastra

About Live Scenes From New York
« on: October 13, 2011, 11:19:07 PM »
Hey everyone!
I've been reading this forum for couple of yrs and finally decided to register.
Nice to meet ya all!

I'm pretty sure this has been asked before, but here goes;
The DVD has full "Scenes" setlist  and on bonus materials you can find ACOS, Learning to live, A Mind Beside Itself.
The CD has "Another day" and "JR Keyboard solo" videos  as Bonus.

What happened to those other songs on Disc 2 ?
"The Mirror" – 8:15
"Just Let Me Breathe" – 4:02
"Acid Rain (Liquid Tension Experiment)" – 2:34
"Caught in a New Millennium" – 6:21

Have those songs ever been released as video format?
If not, you guys know why?
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
Re: About Live Scenes From New York
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 11:22:36 PM »
As I understand it, the centerpiece of the DVD was the Metropolis set, with A Mind Beside Itself, Learning to Live, and A Change of Seasons as bonus tracks. The point was never to release a complete concert video, though that would've been a great idea and I can't imagine why they didn't just do that.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 12:08:06 AM »
As I understand it, the centerpiece of the DVD was the Metropolis set, with A Mind Beside Itself, Learning to Live, and A Change of Seasons as bonus tracks. The point was never to release a complete concert video, though that would've been a great idea and I can't imagine why they didn't just do that.

Where'd they say that? I'm not being skeptical, I just would like to see how they worded it when they said so in order to gain a better understanding of context. Also, how could they have thought it was a good idea to deprive their collectionist/completist-dominated fanbase of such a momentous performance? Were their hands tied by some short-sighted corporate goober?
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline coffees for closers

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 06:41:19 AM »
Man remember those days when DT would play over 3 hour sets. Sorry I don't have an answer to your question

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:27:05 AM »
It was probably due to length. The orginal release was on VHS, right?

Anyway, it's probably one of those things MP would have gotten around to re-releasing via Ytsejam if he was still with the band.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 02:04:44 PM »
Would make a great addition when the inevitable Blu-Ray arrives.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 02:16:45 PM »

Where'd they say that? I'm not being skeptical, I just would like to see how they worded it when they said so in order to gain a better understanding of context. Also, how could they have thought it was a good idea to deprive their collectionist/completist-dominated fanbase of such a momentous performance? Were their hands tied by some short-sighted corporate goober?
I didn't mean to express certainty (sorry if that's the impression you got), but if you own the DVD you'll notice that if you press "play" on the home menu, the Metropolis pt. 2 set will play, and that's it. You have to venture into the bonus features menu to retrieve AMBI, ACOS, and LTL. It's obvious either the band or the DVD's distributor meant to focus on just bringing the Metropolis experience to video rather than the concert experience.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 02:48:11 PM »
I asked this same question a couple of months ago and got and answer which I can't remember nor find using the search function. I suck so much!
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 05:39:59 PM »
I've always fantasized about having the full concert, with or without those crazy special, seizure-inducing effects, and 2011 would've been a great year to release it considering it's the 10th Anniversary of it's release, but we got LAB instead. Ah well...

I'd pay good money for a re-release of the 3-Disc CD set along with a 2-Disc DVD of the show - the whole Metropolis Part 2 set on Disc 1 with some bonus stuff, and Disc 2 with the 2nd set/encore. House it all in a stunning cardboard slipcase with 2 book-style cases holding each set, with throw in a lavish booklet full of pictures and liner-notes by JP.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 12:17:26 AM »
Man remember those days when DT would play over 3 hour sets. Sorry I don't have an answer to your question

:lol Made me think of this.

It was probably due to length. The orginal release was on VHS, right?

You're right and wrong. According to the wiki for it, the VHS only contains SFAM but it indicates that the release was simultaneous for both formats.

I've always fantasized about having the full concert, with or without those crazy special, seizure-inducing effects

I'm with ya. Those would've been cheesy even by late-80s standards.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 12:20:09 AM »
You know, I understand if they may not have wanted to release the WHOLE set list... But considering that Scenes is Metropolis Pt. 2, I really would've loved Metropolis Pt. 1 (at that particular show) to have made it onto the DVD.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 01:51:02 AM »
I just dont understand...