Author Topic: Breaking All Illusions = An unpopular song amongst the majority?  (Read 4144 times)

Offline deslock

Re: Breaking All Illusions = An unpopular song amongst the majority?
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2011, 12:19:44 AM »
In Boston I sat behind probably the 6 most enthusiastic DT fans in New England.  They were really into the whole show, constantly jumping around, screaming, pumping fists, etc.

Then BAI came on, and they quieted down for the first time during the show.  It was weird, but I'm not complaining as it was the highlight for me and I got to see/hear more of them playing it.

After a couple of the solos they all started doing the "were not worthy" worship motions and when the song started wrapping up, they got into it again.  Since they knew all the new material, I suspect that their calmer reaction for most of the song was from being in awe rather than disliking the song.

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2011, 12:32:16 AM »
I'm sure the song was received very well at the concert because I mean it is one of the best DT songs in my opinion :)

BUT

at a concert, I'm sure people will just watch the band perform the song rather than FIST PUMP.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2011, 12:52:32 AM »
Best DT song in a long time and ever BETTER live. That's the ONE song i really wanted to hear and they delivered both nights. One more time on sunday!

Offline darkshade

« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2011, 01:43:49 AM »
Guys, not every song can be a LtL or 8vm.

In 5 years we'll be saying that about BAI

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2011, 05:09:34 AM »
People's reactions to songs live are very different to on the album. Scarred is a very popular DT song, but it often gets very little reaction from the crowd because it is complex and whimsical. Same could be said for Learning to Live to some extent. BAI is another song of that mould. Whereas the more accessible head-banging songs are the ones that get the crowd going. It doesn't mean people are liking it any less.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2011, 07:29:35 AM »
I would contend that the "Not that into it" attitude you are seeing in the crowd is not so much a "not that into it" as it is a "Holy shit that guitar and keyboard and bass and drums are amazing" kind of awe and admiration.  Kind of like no one really goes apeshit in the mellow solo of TCOT at the end but everyone is in awe of the melodic and serene sounds that the bear is making. :tup
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2011, 07:39:41 AM »
I would contend that the "Not that into it" attitude you are seeing in the crowd is not so much a "not that into it" as it is a "Holy shit that guitar and keyboard and bass and drums are amazing" kind of awe and admiration.  Kind of like no one really goes apeshit in the mellow solo of TCOT at the end but everyone is in awe of the melodic and serene sounds that the bear is making. :tup

I agree with this. The rest of the thread has me in "WTF" mode.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2011, 07:50:28 AM »
Perhaps people were just intently watching/listening since it's a pretty intense epic piece, and is more along the lines of a piece that one might rather watch and listen to than fist-pump/head-bang to (like ES, Forsaken, BMUBMD, etc. etc.) - it's a real concert piece.

-Marc.

This....  When I'm listening to an "Epic" or super complex piece, I  :metal quite a bit less during most of the song.  I'm more focused on listening, absorbing, and just plain enjoying the song.

Offline TL

« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2011, 09:16:31 AM »
Simpler songs like BMU BMD and Forsaken lend themselves more to audience participation. I like BAI far more (though BMU BMD is a great song), but BMU BMD is easier to react to in a live setting.

Everyone I know who like DT (and some who aren't really into them) love Breaking All Illusions. One friend of mine who is a huge fan, but didn't really care for SC or BC&SL was almost overwhelmed the first time he heard it, and after hearing it immediately declared that DT were back. It's a great song; it just doesn't necessarily lend itself as much to straight up rocking out live.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2011, 12:46:44 PM »
Perhaps people were just intently watching/listening since it's a pretty intense epic piece, and is more along the lines of a piece that one might rather watch and listen to than fist-pump/head-bang to (like ES, Forsaken, BMUBMD, etc. etc.) - it's a real concert piece.

-Marc.

I was gonna say all this but now I don't have to!

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2011, 01:09:48 PM »

-Marc.

This....  When I'm listening to an "Epic" or super complex piece, I  :metal quite a bit less during most of the song.  I'm more focused on listening, absorbing, and just plain enjoying the song.

That's what I'm thinking. I don't mean to sound harsh or insulting to anyone, but those who listen to epics like BAI for the sake of banging their heads the whole time don't seem to understand or appreciate DT's more complex music for all that it has to offer.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline namgalsipsclar

« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2011, 01:27:27 PM »
Well for me. I'd rather see Outcry over Breaking All Illusions any day live.
It's not an "unpopular song" but I guess it probably just isn't as great live as some of the others in the setlist - if you look at the videos of live performances none of the crowd seem to be as in to it as say "Endless Sacrifice".

That's funny, because when I saw DT in July Endless Sacrifice probably got the least positive response of the night. Fatal Tragedy was possibly the most popular

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2011, 01:33:00 PM »
I thought it went over really well in Boston on Monday. 

But the crowd was really, REALLY into "Endless Sacrifice" for some reason.  EVERYONE was singing the chorus!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2011, 01:54:50 PM »
Yeah, I loved Endless Sacrifice on Wednesday in NYC.  It's probably the song I have seen them play the most.  They have really been favoring that song in their sets over the last 5 years.  It really is a kickass song live.  Great dynamics, really cool instrumental section.  It's rockin'.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?