Author Topic: I need some help guys... what might my friend owe me for tickets?  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Vajra

I'm going to see Dream Theater tomorrow, if my friend bails, what does he owe me? I can only see the concert through him, because I don't know the area at all, nor do I have the means to get there.

Anyway, here's the story. The concert is tomorrow, I asked him in early September if he wanted to go, he said yes. I offered to pay for both tickets. Now up until now he's been 100% up for it, but now all the sudden he isn't replying to my calls/fb messages. So if he ends up just ditching me, what should I do?

Should I say he owes me the total $160 that I paid for both tickets, or should I make him only pay for his ticket alone? I mean, I feel like I should make him pay for the entire thing, because it will be his fault that I myself can't even go, so the money I spent on my own ticket is wasted because of him.

What do you guys think? Does he owe me all of it, or just his ticket?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: I need some help guys... what might my friend owe me for tickets?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:33 PM »
I'd ask him to pay back only his ticket. To be honest, I think it would be a complete dick move to demand money for both.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:03 PM »
yeah, I would just ask for the one ticket and chalk up the other to one of the bummers of life.
i can't count the number of people I have bought tickets for and haven't seen a dime of it yet

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 08:45:16 PM »
This sounds like a good time to terminate the friendship if some things don't happen that desperately need to in order to absolve his seemingly discourteous flakery. Before I go into detail, I need to know if he was aware that without him you'd miss the show.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 08:46:56 PM »
Make him pay for both.  Nail the motherfucker. 

You might be a bit of a dick for doing it but you will also not be short on money because of him. 

Offline Vajra

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 08:50:19 PM »
This sounds like a good time to terminate the friendship if some things don't happen that desperately need to in order to absolve his seemingly discourteous flakery. Before I go into detail, I need to know if he was aware that without him you'd miss the show.
Well he knows several things...

1.) He knows that I don't have a car. (It's 30 minutes away)
2.) He knows I don't know the area at all.
3.) If he does bail, it means he's given me less than 24 hours notice, and will be aware that finding someone else to go will be very, very hard. (not to mention that finding a DT fan who's a friend of yours is near impossible)

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 08:53:45 PM »
Dang, that sucks. Do you live near taxis/buses? It'll cost a bit more but not that much more I'd imagine. But I've never ridden in either my whole life  so what do I know? I'd make him just pay for his honestly. If it's not too late, sell them both last minute. Maybe someone will want them as long as the concert hasn't begun.
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 09:18:32 PM »
I'm confused.  Are you talking about the NYC Beacon show?  I can't think of any city that'd be easier to get to a show in than NYC.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
If it's matter of you were relying on him for transport and he bailed on the last minute, then it's not unreasonable to ask for money for both.

If it's just a matter of you not wanting to go alone, then yeah it's pretty lame to ask for money. Just go and scalp it in line, there's nothing wrong with going to a concert alone.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
I'm assuming the problem is getting into the city?  Whereabouts do you live?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:00 PM »
Well he knows several things...

1.) He knows that I don't have a car. (It's 30 minutes away)
2.) He knows I don't know the area at all.
3.) If he does bail, it means he's given me less than 24 hours notice, and will be aware that finding someone else to go will be very, very hard. (not to mention that finding a DT fan who's a friend of yours is near impossible)

Well if your friend is a legitimately decent person I'd think he'd have the minimal brain power necessary to realize he's leaving you in a jam but based on your having to make this thread it seems he may not be that guy. This means he'll probably play lawyer with you and try to say something like "You never clearly told me you were gonna miss the show if I couldn't bring you so how can I be held liable for your ticket too?"

This means at best you'll be lucky to recover the cost of your ticket and then be out of $80 because this "friend" didn't have enough concern to keep in touch knowing full well that y'all were likely gonna have to go together and knew this for a month. Sounds like one of those flaky fairweather types and something like this may not be the first time you've encountered this kind of behavior and doubtfully will be the last either if he has flaked on you before for other things, but if he's been a damn good friend otherwise and you feel it's worth it to keep him around, tell him you'd appreciate it if he'd reimburse you for his ticket in full and definitely at least a little of yours as well.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 09:34:31 PM »
This is why I only go with people I know very well and aren't whatever the word is for..wishy-washy? Fuck I can't think right now, so tired.

Anyway, I think you should try for at least his ticket. That's not fair. But life isn't fair either, so see what you can do. Be reasonable, don't blow up on him (as a word of advice).

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 09:46:21 PM »
You don't know the area?  That's what google maps is for.  It's NYC, and a few blocks from the 72nd street station, just walk up Broadway.

Ok, so that means you need to get to some subway station.  If you live 30 minutes from NYC, there HAS to be a bus, train, taxi, magic carpet, etc. that will take you to the outskirts of the city so you can catch the subway.  If I knew your location I'd tell you very specific ways to do this and I'm in SW Virginia with virtually no knowledge of NYC other than there is plenty of public/mass transit options

Live a little and explore.  You're giving up way too easily and aren't even considering options.  Thousands of people from hours outside of NYC take mass transit into the city because parking and traffic are terrible. 

No offense, but if you aren't willing to put in that minimal amount of effort to make the show, I don't think you have any right to ask for money for your ticket.  You can always ask for money for his ticket, but unless he is having a legitamate emergency he's dealing with you can probably kiss that money goodbye as well.

Offline Vajra

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 05:25:00 PM »
^^You don't understand how bad I am with directions. I would have not been able to go to NYC alone. I managed to miss the bus home last night, something that anyone thinks is easy. I had to spend 80 bucks on a cab. Trying to work my way through the city is too stressful, and it isn't worth the money, not in the slightest bit.

Update: Thanks for all the responses guys! I made it to the show last night, my friend ended up contacting me, and everything worked out fine.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 02:24:01 AM »
Are you still gonna murder him and feed his remains to transients?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2011, 07:52:03 AM »
^^You don't understand how bad I am with directions. I would have not been able to go to NYC alone.

Dude.  The streets are all numbered.  In order.  As long as you can count to 74, you're fine.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2011, 08:08:09 AM »
 :lol

Well, glad it worked out.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.