Author Topic: Problem solved by Metal, lock please.  (Read 3304 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Problem solved by Metal, lock please.
« on: October 12, 2011, 02:09:27 PM »
First off, I am a retard when it comes to computers.

OK, so we just finally got wifi in our house, and it works on everything except my laptop.  My roomates ipad and my phone can hook up to it just fine, but when I try to connect, it won't even prompt for the password, it just searches for a bit, and then gives me the I can't connect message.  Unfortunatly, my skills stop there, I have never worked with a home wifi before.  I got Comcast Xfinity and a Netgear modem.  Computer is a new Toshiba Satellite c655 running W7.  I have an IT guy at work I was going to ask, but I'm off today and I thought I would check with all you little geniuses first.

And if your just posting to make jokes about the situation, please at least make them funny and clever.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 03:01:08 PM by lonestar »

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Quick computer help
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:12:11 PM »
First step, right click on the network/wifi thingy and click troubleshoot. Run that.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 02:18:05 PM »
First step, right click on the network/wifi thingy and click troubleshoot. Run that.
Did that a couple of times last night, and it said it couldn't detect any problems.  BTW, my cable hookup is fine, I just can't connect thorugh wifi, I am connected right now.

Offline Metal

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
Right click the network icon on the lower right taskbar, then open the network and sharing center.  On the left hand side, click on manage wireless networks.  What do you see there?
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 02:21:51 PM »
What OS are you on?

Windows 7, running Chrome.

Offline Metal

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »
What OS are you on?

Windows 7, running Chrome.

That post was my bad, didn't see where you clearly said that initially.
Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline Millais

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 02:27:55 PM »
What OS are you on?
I think he said he was running W7.

Next step I'd try is to disable and then enable the wireless network connection.

Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center.

Under Connections, Click on "Wireless Network Connection"

and then finally "Disable". Once disabled, re-enable it and see if it picks up a connection that time. If that doesn't work, (sounds stupid) but try restarting your computer. Every time my connection fails I can *usually* get it working again by doing this!

Offline Metal

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 02:33:46 PM »
Once you can view your wireless networks, if you see the one in there that you are wanting to connect to, highlight it and delete it.  Then try to reconnect to it.  If a password was entered incorrectly by mistake, sometimes windows will bind the incorrect password to the network for all future connection attempts. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 02:40:55 PM »
Have we even established if L* can even see the wireless network yet?  Seems like we should make sure his wifi capability is intact before troubleshooting the connectivity problem.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 02:43:02 PM »
Sounds like the wireless radio may be turned off on the laptop.  Most of them have a button or toggle switch either along the side or up above the keyboard on the bezel.  Are you sure the WIFI radio is ON?

Offline Millais

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 02:47:55 PM »
If a password was entered incorrectly by mistake, sometimes windows will bind the incorrect password to the network for all future connection attempts.

very true. Try re-entering the password if you can see it, the amount of times the computer changed the network password for me is ridiculous... a simple re-entering of the password solves it!

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011, 02:50:07 PM »
But he said he's not getting prompted for the password.  If the password is entered incorrectly, you cannot connect to a WIFI network and you will continue to get prompted for the correct password.  The symptoms suggest the WIFI radio is turned off.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011, 02:51:37 PM »
/fdisk C:

?

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 02:54:43 PM »
Snapple:

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »
Once you can view your wireless networks, if you see the one in there that you are wanting to connect to, highlight it and delete it.  Then try to reconnect to it.  If a password was entered incorrectly by mistake, sometimes windows will bind the incorrect password to the network for all future connection attempts. 

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!  Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Offline Metal

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 03:13:29 PM »

WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!  Don't know where you live, but if your ever in Berkeley, dinner's on me.  Thanks man!!!

Glad I could help!  I'm in the midwest, but if I ever make it up your direction I will definitely hit you up on that!  Can't even tell you how many times I have used this fix on clients PC's.