Author Topic: American Horror Story On FX  (Read 13627 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
Re: American Horror Story On FX
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
Tremendous last episode last night to cap off a stellar season 1!
Jessica Lange deserves to win any award she gets nominated for. Bravo!
This show is simply one of the best things I have ever seen on TV.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2011, 10:52:43 AM »
Yeah, that was a perfect way to cap off an innagural season! What a show. I was talking with some co-workers about how they would approach season two and I guess it's a good ghost vs bad ghost theme? I mean, they said they would run out any future inhabitants so what's left? My only fear is that the show was SO good and well done that there really isn't anywhere to go but down now. But I'm trusting that they've at least thought out a couple seasons and didn't pull a 'LOST' on us. "Ummm..uh Oh.....they like the show and it's good....now what?"
  Talk about a creepy little boy at the end...they sure cast him good. Looks all cute and innocent with just a hint of evil in his eye. I can't get over how impressed I was with this show though, I just thought it was very well crafted.....each episode just gave you more then more then more....never really a dull moment. And they left some uncertainties out there...the main one for me being Thadeus. I still don't think he is 'dead' per say...every scen he's been in it appears as if he's aged beginning from being re-assembled and re-animated....then snatching a young Tate, he looked 'young' there....and when he tormented and cut up Violets high school peer he was an old, long grey haired thing. I'm thinking he's alive and is the main source of 'evil'...but that's just my theory.
  And again....Jessica Lange. Wow! She makes the series....ties it all together. That 'speech' that Constance gave to her hairdresser last night was chilling! Just an incredible performance by her....revolt in the streets if she doesn't win the Golden Globe and Emmy. 
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2011, 10:56:51 AM »
I am wondering as to what becomes the main story for the second season. Do the Harmons and the house ghosts move to a second plane to the whole Antichrist baby thing?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 11:05:18 AM by Dimitrius »
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
I am wondering as to what becomes the main story for the second season. Do the Harmons and the house ghosts move to a second plane to the whole Antichrist baby thing?
Merely judging from what they've said...and largely from last nights episode where Mira points out that there are plenty of 'ghosts' that have no desire to be evil or inflict pain/kill etc that live there, I wonder if it becomes a good vs bad type deal.
  Ben, Vivian and Violet all but swore that they'd 'run off' anyone else who tries to live there so I can't see a full time family moving in. Maybe it becomes a place of buisiness where there is only part time 'real' inhabitants? Maybe they go back in time and do a season of past house owners? It looked to me though that Hayden and Tate when they were on the outside looking in at the happy little scene going on weren't going to allow that to transpire for long. And then you throw Constance raising a 3 year old murderer into the mix...I am going to trust the writers that they at least have a second season already planned out.
  Gonna be a tough act to follow though.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2011, 01:29:06 PM »
That was one amazing episode; definitely my favorite. What a great start to a hopefully wonderfully haunting series. I was skeptical, quite so at first; especially once it was apparent that there was going to be a sort of revolving door of characters around the true main character, the house. I'm even more so now that it's been confirmed more or less. Even so, I think if the writers continue to inspire with their twists and turns and keep things interesting, keep flowing, then this could be my favorite series in a long, long time. The acting at first was sub-par to say the least, I abhor Ben's character and actor but he fits much better as 'himself'; without his wallowing and sobbing all the time over his own actions and all the bullshit he gives. Constance changed that though, what a woman; the actress better damn well get some recognition for her portrayal as the she-devil that Constance is. I'm so excited for season two! I do worry that after season two, or perhaps midway, it may begin to dull lest they throw another wrench in the gears to shake things up a bit. With this evil child and perhaps good-souled baby that the Harmons are attempting to raise, it could be a new centerpiece.

P.S. Love that whistling tune.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: December 22, 2011, 01:45:56 PM »
good-souled baby that the Harmons are attempting to raise

I was under the impression that if/when you died on the house property...you don't age. Mira's appearance is a matter of perception, but everyone else stays whatever age they were when they died. So that along with the comments from last weeks episode from one of the gay couple stating they would smother the baby and kill it when it was a year and half old...so it'd be in the fun age forever....leads me to believe the little baby will be a little baby forever and not grow.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #76 on: December 22, 2011, 01:53:18 PM »
good-souled baby that the Harmons are attempting to raise

I was under the impression that if/when you died on the house property...you don't age. Mira's appearance is a matter of perception, but everyone else stays whatever age they were when they died. So that along with the comments from last weeks episode from one of the gay couple stating they would smother the baby and kill it when it was a year and half old...so it'd be in the fun age forever....leads me to believe the little baby will be a little baby forever and not grow.

Aw shit, I forgot that the baby died... Damn it. Well, I guess it only matters that the evil child lived since the house itself seems to be more of a neutral character now instead of being the haunting evil presence it was in the beginning. If they could use it to their advantage (as they have thus far to run out the homeowners) to combat the supposed 'Antichrist' then things could get very interesting. I gotta say though I had envisioned some kind of epic back and forth between the good child and bad but you're right. I was thrown a bit with Mira, but yeah I suppose she has a kind of special power depending on the man that's looking at her. Interesting, very much so. I haven't been this invested in a television series since the beginning of Lost...and we all know where that went (not to dog it, I loved the series but...I better shut up before I derail this shit). Grrr, I want more!

RIP DTP.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #77 on: December 22, 2011, 02:00:50 PM »
Apparently season two's going to be entirely different:  https://www.avclub.com/articles/american-horror-story-to-completely-ditch-season-o,67002/

It's a pretty cool idea.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #78 on: December 22, 2011, 02:21:02 PM »
Oh... Um.... Wow. I did not expect the change to be that dramatic. But I like it... I think. I don't know. That's insane. Luckily, so am I; so a chance I will give it but that's extremely disappointing in some ways. Exciting in others. Hm. That was a shocker. They had some pretty ballsy things to say about the show in terms of ragging on it, and I spit in their faces for that! I thought it was wonderfully written and the future was bright (or...ever so dark?) for this new series. But this new format is indeed exciting, I just don't know if I like it at all at this point. Which I guess is the point, to not know what's ahead. That said... I'll have to let this sit for a while before I even support the 'new' show. Bleh. That kind of ruined that entire episode. Not the first season, because I realize it was mostly 'wrapped up', but expanding on it could have been so very awesome. MAN! The hell...  :huh:

RIP DTP.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: December 22, 2011, 02:23:38 PM »
Yeah that is a cool idea...it definately takes some guts to do so considering how successful the first season was, but like I was thinking...it was so successful that it couldn't really get much better...only maintain or get worse had they decided to stick with that cast...characters etc. This gives them the freedom do do anything that's for sure. It's a real neat idea.
  To me the thing that MADE the first season wasn't the cool twists and turns and the ate up story and plot...that was all cool....but none of it works without Jessica Lange's performance. She tied that season together and maintained it with her portrayal of Constance. The other actors/actresses weren't bad...they did great IMO, but Jessica Lange made the show.
  For the next season and subsequent seasons to be as successful I would think that they need to have a standout performer like that...every time. A character that just ties everything all up and that keeps the show on pace.
  Such a neat idea...man....I'm anxious to see what goes down. I guess the next step is to wait for the cast to be announced in February. Any 'wish lists' out there for who you'd think would do a cool job?

Just off the top of my head:
  Sigourney Weaver
  Harrison Ford
  Robin Williams
 There's so many options to get a great actor to try and be creepy or whatever.   

Offline masterthes

« Reply #80 on: December 22, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
I'm cool with that

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #81 on: December 22, 2011, 04:25:08 PM »
I'm cool with that
Me too. Its actually a brilliant move because otherwise the show would have been doomed to fail sooner then later. Bring it on!

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #82 on: December 22, 2011, 04:28:28 PM »
I don't understand that train of thought in the slightest... I thought it was heading in a wonderful direction. The Antichrist, the new families moving in, the other souls trying to get out of the house; it was all setting up to be a very grandiose end arc. Whatevs, I'm intrigued by this new set up, but to say it was certainly doomed 'sooner than later' is preposterous to me. I'm more worried now that they won't have a cast as powerful or a storyline as concrete as the one they've created. Alas, the writers have time at their disposal now though, so... Here we go?

RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: December 22, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »
I don't understand that train of thought in the slightest... I thought it was heading in a wonderful direction. The Antichrist, the new families moving in, the other souls trying to get out of the house; it was all setting up to be a very grandiose end arc. Whatevs, I'm intrigued by this new set up, but to say it was certainly doomed 'sooner than later' is preposterous to me. I'm more worried now that they won't have a cast as powerful or a storyline as concrete as the one they've created. Alas, the writers have time at their disposal now though, so... Here we go?
I just don't think they could have sustained the momentum, that's all. I like the idea of a fresh storyline. Sure its sad the cast will be different, but its also exiting as well.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #84 on: December 22, 2011, 08:45:55 PM »
I don't know, if they would've continue with that they would've ended with too many characters and not enough screen time and the show would've been hurt by that. This idea is pretty cool!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #85 on: December 22, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »
It is indeed exciting and a very original idea. Damn it, I just wanted to see some Antichrist ass-kicking action. But that's an awesome ending. But boy does it grind my gears whenever a series or movie has an ending where 'the audience draws the conclusion'. Fuck that. I wanna see some shit! But alas... I guess in my mind I'll have the Antichrist take over the world and urinate on the sun. Fin.

P.S. I could NOT stop wheezing from laughing so hard after that fucking exterminator just kind of popped up in front of Ben as he was frantically running about and Ben just gives him this look like "Wha...Oh okay.. *points finger at him and hauls* "  :rollin

RIP DTP.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #86 on: December 22, 2011, 10:00:17 PM »
It is indeed exciting and a very original idea. Damn it, I just wanted to see some Antichrist ass-kicking action. But that's an awesome ending. But boy does it grind my gears whenever a series or movie has an ending where 'the audience draws the conclusion'. Fuck that. I wanna see some shit! But alas... I guess in my mind I'll have the Antichrist take over the world and urinate on the sun. Fin.

P.S. I could NOT stop wheezing from laughing so hard after that fucking exterminator just kind of popped up in front of Ben as he was frantically running about and Ben just gives him this look like "Wha...Oh okay.. *points finger at him and hauls* "  :rollin
Look at it this way. Season 1 will now stand as a masterpiece with no chance that anything can ruin it. I like that. I also think the writers have more in there bag of tricks and won't disappoint.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
They probably could have squeezed out a second season with the same characters, ran with the Antichrist theme a bit... But the bar is/was set so high. At least in this format the writers have a fair shot at keeping the expectation they created in line. I still maintain that to assure it remains successful they better land a Jessica Lange quality actor/actress and hope they can perform the way she did.

And the exterminator bothered me a bit. The dude gets killed by Tate. Who hid/got rid of his work truck? Why wouldn't the police show up after he went missing to his last appointment? Sure there is some wiggle room, but that really bugs me.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 10:13:54 PM »
They probably could have squeezed out a second season with the same characters, ran with the Antichrist theme a bit... But the bar is/was set so high. At least in this format the writers have a fair shot at keeping the expectation they created in line. I still maintain that to assure it remains successful they better land a Jessica Lange quality actor/actress and hope they can perform the way she did.

And the exterminator bothered me a bit. The dude gets killed by Tate. Who hid/got rid of his work truck? Why wouldn't the police show up after he went missing to his last appointment? Sure there is some wiggle room, but that really bugs me.
I agree Lange was magic and will be hard to top. Time will tell. We will watch, and hope for the best.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #89 on: December 23, 2011, 11:50:29 AM »
It is indeed exciting and a very original idea. Damn it, I just wanted to see some Antichrist ass-kicking action.
Well, Murphy did say in that article that some actors are gonna return. If there's one thing that's been left unresolved about the first season is the whole Antichrist baby thing...

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #90 on: December 23, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
It is indeed exciting and a very original idea. Damn it, I just wanted to see some Antichrist ass-kicking action.
Well, Murphy did say in that article that some actors are gonna return. If there's one thing that's been left unresolved about the first season is the whole Antichrist baby thing...

Same actors.  Different characters.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2012, 01:55:19 PM »
SEASON 2..."AMERICAN HORROR STORY: ASYLUM"  begins in 22 days, on October 17th.

I CANNOT WAIT!!!!  :metal

https://vod.fxnetworks.com/watch/ahs#
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #92 on: September 25, 2012, 02:00:11 PM »

Yep - excitey! :caffeine:

Finally, about Jessica Lange--I too think that she totally deserves an Emmy for her role as Constance.  This role is so vastly different from pretty much any of her movie roles, and she continually hits home runs out of the park so to speak.  The producer(s) really picked the best possible person to play Constance IMO.

Well, she got it. :)

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: September 25, 2012, 03:06:37 PM »

Yep - excitey! :caffeine:

Finally, about Jessica Lange--I too think that she totally deserves an Emmy for her role as Constance.  This role is so vastly different from pretty much any of her movie roles, and she continually hits home runs out of the park so to speak.  The producer(s) really picked the best possible person to play Constance IMO.

Well, she got it. :)

The greatest injustice in the history of awards presentations would have been committed had she not.

I read recently that the producers met with her earlier this year, and over a period of several days really fleshed out what the various aspects of her "dream role" would be; and they have developed her new character around the elements that she has always wanted to play. Should make for an even deeper character. I cant wait to see how it translates onto the screen.  Her portrayal of Constance last year was nothing short of "Role of a Lifetime". Simply brilliant.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2012, 07:10:21 PM »
Wow, something more in depth than Constance?  I'm stoked - can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
Bumping this to say, this season better have a great payoff because as of right now? It's just over the top and off the rails and in a very bad way!

Particularly this past episode. So Maroon 5 Guy had this armed ripped off then gets stabbed in the chest twice but he still is fully capable of, literally, LEAPING to the girl's rescue?! Bull. Shit. Oh and the Bloody Face stalker is a fake Bloody Face that's part of a duo that hang out close to a decrepit old building in the hopes of scaring tourist (I guess?) but then one of them shoots the couple AND then the real Bloody Face appears?!

For now it feels like it's just empty shock factor, over the top without meaning.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2012, 01:22:21 PM »
I agree, I'm pretty disappointed. I'm not interested in this show at all right now. I'll still be watching them considering I know what they can do, but other than a few moments of intrigue or a glimmer of potential, it's been a bag full of pathetic scare tactics, gore-infused sex thrills and a whole lot of confusion based upon what I suppose has been mistaken for mystery and eeriness. Either way, it's not looking too great right now and I had a feeling this would happen, they should have stuck with what worked if they're going to degrade this series to a pathetic Halloween goodie bag; as opposed to the badassery they were throwing out every episode in S1.

We'll see. But this 'anthology series' is gonna end real quick if they don't give a reason as to why all this insanity is happening and a bigger picture behind the few scary portraits we've seen...with no artist behind them. It's all empty bullshit thus far. Super disappointed, actually. This is going to be hard to recover from considering they're going to have to go the deux ex machina route with some of the characters (bloody face being in separate timelines; the fucking aliens and the chip; mutants/zombies...etc.) to explain how, what, why, when... Eh. EH.

RIP DTP.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2012, 01:25:52 PM »
I hate to say this, but I agree with both of you.  I really wish they would've stuck with the original ideas they had about the second season either being different people or a different house.  I'm still going to watch and all, but... I prefer the first season by light years so far.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2012, 01:40:26 PM »
Yep and I didn't even get to all the problems I'm having with the main story!

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2012, 01:45:36 PM »
I don't want to read all pages. Simple question: Do you all strongly recommend me watch it?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #100 on: November 04, 2012, 02:00:18 PM »
Yep and I didn't even get to all the problems I'm having with the main story!

Yeah - the plot holes are like Swiss cheese. :-\

I don't want to read all pages. Simple question: Do you all strongly recommend me watch it?

DEFINITELY watch the first season - it'll blow your mind IMO.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #101 on: November 04, 2012, 02:13:35 PM »
Debra, I trust you for that.  :hat
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #102 on: November 04, 2012, 02:35:34 PM »
Aw, thank you. :)

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #103 on: November 05, 2012, 07:00:50 AM »
I was unsure for the first two episodes, but the third actually gave me confidence for this season.  It's so off-the-wall crazy, and James Cromwell is amazing.  I'm loving it so far (although the present-time couple plot is terrible).

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2012, 10:23:43 AM »
I like this season so far.