Author Topic: American Horror Story On FX  (Read 13590 times)

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
American Horror Story On FX
« on: October 12, 2011, 10:33:12 AM »
If you like the horror genre you're going to want to check out this show. The first episode was surprisingly very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOugYXSfNow
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: American Horror Story On FX
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 10:44:15 AM »
Yeah I thought this was a pretty good pilot and I hope the series can keep pace with it. It's not a jump out and scare you type 'scare', it's a WTF type of ate up scary. The imagry especially is very 'haunting'. I think they have some interesting characters to develop there and with just what they've shown with the back story there is an endless amount of scenarios they can take. I have to be honest, I watched this Saturday night around midnight and afterwards did not want to go into the basement and iron my clothes for the morning. It was mainly the imagry for me....just pretty weird and freaky. Interested to see how this series develops.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 10:50:40 AM »
Yeah I thought this was a pretty good pilot and I hope the series can keep pace with it. It's not a jump out and scare you type 'scare', it's a WTF type of ate up scary. The imagry especially is very 'haunting'. I think they have some interesting characters to develop there and with just what they've shown with the back story there is an endless amount of scenarios they can take. I have to be honest, I watched this Saturday night around midnight and afterwards did not want to go into the basement and iron my clothes for the morning. It was mainly the imagry for me....just pretty weird and freaky. Interested to see how this series develops.
Well said. That's what great horror is. Its when something gets embedded into your mind when you didn't even know it got in and it fucks with you later on after you thought it was over and done with. That's the kind of horror that works for me. Not the cliche type that goes for a quick startling moment.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 07:53:57 AM »
Anyone watch the second episode? I'm thinking FX may be on to something here. I like how just to make matters worse they are now throwing a psychotic ex-mistress into the fray. And that actress is cast perfectly cuz she looks a little nutz.
  How about the 'bad girl' closet that Constance puts her downs daughter in? WTF? And I'm still wondering the motivation behind her wanting to poison Violet....what did she do to rile her up?
  I'm a bit thrown off now about Tate. I had thought originally that he was some sort of 'ghost' kind of like the maid but Ben was speaking with Tate's mother on the phone trying to explain why he could no longer treat him. Tate seems to have some sort of intimate connection with that house so I'm curious as to what it is.
  All in all I think they moved the story along well and it still maintained that creepy edge for me.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:59:32 AM »
I need to watch this show, I've seen some ads for it but haven't had the time to check it out yet.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 08:57:28 AM »
Anyone watch the second episode? I'm thinking FX may be on to something here. I like how just to make matters worse they are now throwing a psychotic ex-mistress into the fray. And that actress is cast perfectly cuz she looks a little nutz.
  How about the 'bad girl' closet that Constance puts her downs daughter in? WTF? And I'm still wondering the motivation behind her wanting to poison Violet....what did she do to rile her up?
  I'm a bit thrown off now about Tate. I had thought originally that he was some sort of 'ghost' kind of like the maid but Ben was speaking with Tate's mother on the phone trying to explain why he could no longer treat him. Tate seems to have some sort of intimate connection with that house so I'm curious as to what it is.
  All in all I think they moved the story along well and it still maintained that creepy edge for me.
I missed the second episode because I was at a concert for some band, Dream Theater.
I have to check it out when it becomes available on demand.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 11:38:25 AM »
Second episode was freaky good! I am really digging this show a lot.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 11:53:47 AM »
I just watched the pilot.  It's pretty damn good.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 12:15:19 PM »
As am I. And it is causing me some sort of internal strife because I do like it. There are a few of us here at work that are watching this series and we all have a similar feeling. Let me see if I can articulate it correctly to ask if it pertains to you or anyone else who has watched.
  I like horror/"scary"/suspense etc. movies and usually have no issues whereas after I'm done watching them that I feel really 'messed' up and "scared" because of the movie. They are just entertainment to me. But for some reason, as I am watching this show I have a very strange feeling surrounding me. Just an unconfortable feeling that I don't know if it is an eerie 'anticipation' taking over...like I'm waiting and preparing myself for the next set of strange, dimented images and dialouge or whatever. There is a part of me that absolutely does not want to watch the show and it has nothing to do with how 'scary' it is, a lady at my work described it best when she said she feels like she needs to shower after watching the episodes. My Christianity has never really interfered with me being able to seperated reality from entertainment and enjoy a show or movie...but somehow I feel that type of strife happeining. It's strange.
  There is just 'something' about this show that I can't put my finger on that is very wrong with what I honor and believe in out in the 'real' world, but at the same time, I can't take my eyes off my television and am very curious and wrapped up in this story now. I don't know if I've expressed myself completly enough to get across how I feel...but that is about all I have.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 01:34:46 PM »
As am I. And it is causing me some sort of internal strife because I do like it. There are a few of us here at work that are watching this series and we all have a similar feeling. Let me see if I can articulate it correctly to ask if it pertains to you or anyone else who has watched.
  I like horror/"scary"/suspense etc. movies and usually have no issues whereas after I'm done watching them that I feel really 'messed' up and "scared" because of the movie. They are just entertainment to me. But for some reason, as I am watching this show I have a very strange feeling surrounding me. Just an unconfortable feeling that I don't know if it is an eerie 'anticipation' taking over...like I'm waiting and preparing myself for the next set of strange, dimented images and dialouge or whatever. There is a part of me that absolutely does not want to watch the show and it has nothing to do with how 'scary' it is, a lady at my work described it best when she said she feels like she needs to shower after watching the episodes. My Christianity has never really interfered with me being able to seperated reality from entertainment and enjoy a show or movie...but somehow I feel that type of strife happeining. It's strange.
  There is just 'something' about this show that I can't put my finger on that is very wrong with what I honor and believe in out in the 'real' world, but at the same time, I can't take my eyes off my television and am very curious and wrapped up in this story now. I don't know if I've expressed myself completly enough to get across how I feel...but that is about all I have.
I respect what you're saying. I understand how you feel. This show has somehow been able to tap into my emotions like few horror experiences have been able to.
For me personally, as I'm watching I am enthralled with the level of disturbing the show has been able to achieve.
I can't say I feel convicted not to watch anymore, but as I said, I understand your feelings.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 04:03:44 PM »
seriously digging this show thus far

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 06:58:16 PM »
I still have to watch the second episode, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the pilot. For a TV show, I think the pacing is horrible as far as the house being haunted, and all the crazy stuff that goes down inside it. The little pre-credits scene with the boys was a nice intro, but with the way things are happening to the family there's no rational way they don't either A) move out or B) die by the end of the first season (and that's being generous). There are 2 hour movies that have a better build up than this, which is supposed to be hours and hours over the course of the season. I'll probably catch a few more episodes to see where it's going, but I don't think it's anything great.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 03:06:54 AM »
I still have to watch the second episode, but I was somewhat underwhelmed by the pilot. For a TV show, I think the pacing is horrible as far as the house being haunted, and all the crazy stuff that goes down inside it. The little pre-credits scene with the boys was a nice intro, but with the way things are happening to the family there's no rational way they don't either A) move out or B) die by the end of the first season (and that's being generous). There are 2 hour movies that have a better build up than this, which is supposed to be hours and hours over the course of the season. I'll probably catch a few more episodes to see where it's going, but I don't think it's anything great.
I love it. Sometimes you have to suspend logic to fully enjoy something like this. For example, there is no way a vacant house would have those jars of body parts in the basement. I thought about that while watching but wrote it off. I think the acting is superb. Watch the second episode and report back. I thought it was excellent.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 03:09:41 AM »
It will be quite interesting to see what happens when her baby is born. I have a theory about who the person in rubber suit was.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 05:47:01 AM »
I've DVR'd both shows.  Haven't watched them yet.  I'll report in when we do.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 08:23:01 AM »
Watching the pilot on the FX website now. So far so good!

Offline zerogravityfat

• DTF.org Alumni
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 08:48:26 AM »
fx is the greatest network on the planet, everything they put out is pure gold so i don't see how this one could be different.
DTF.  More reliable than the AP since 2009. -millahh

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 10:03:22 AM »
Nice...interesting stuff!

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
It will be quite interesting to see what happens when her baby is born. I have a theory about who the person in rubber suit was.
I think the 'obvious' choice would be Tate. A more complex one would be the man with the burned face. I'm going with Tate because in that episode they made it a point for him to assert how big his 'member' was to Ben. Then in the sex scene the editing showed her face and she had that look of 'there is no way this is my husband' and they'd flip to her trying to 'imagine' that it was him.
  I'm interested to hear your theory.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2011, 06:01:58 PM »
I think the 'obvious' choice would be Tate. A more complex one would be the man with the burned face. I'm going with Tate because in that episode they made it a point for him to assert how big his 'member' was to Ben. Then in the sex scene the editing showed her face and she had that look of 'there is no way this is my husband' and they'd flip to her trying to 'imagine' that it was him.
  I'm interested to hear your theory.
My theory was Tate. Pretty deep of me, eh? :lol

I guess its so obvious but I originally thinking it was the guy from 1968, as a spirit make flesh.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
Another possibility is the young man that was with Constance in her room.  I don't think there is enough to go off of to make any good decision.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2011, 10:38:40 PM »
This show is terrifyingly wicked. Almost as much creepy fun as The Shining. The entire show plays like something Peter Straub conjured up from one of his nightmares. This show actually scares the shit out of me!  :metal

This show is frightening enough to jolt even the most jaded ghost story addict.  And it troubles me long after the credits roll.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2011, 11:21:49 PM »
Wow! Tonight's episode was utterly fantastic!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2011, 12:23:57 AM »
Man, are we all watching the same show? Three episodes in and I'm done.  This show puts soap operas to shame with the amount of over the top nonsense that goes on in one episode, and the acting and writing are sketchy at times. It'll be lucky if it lasts a season before it flames out creatively.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline HarlequinForest

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:42 AM »
Well, I understand how you could feel that way.  My standards for the horror genre are considerably low; it's such a fun genre, and I couldn't enjoy it otherwise.  I actually think the acting is pretty great, though, at least from the main characters, and I don't remember any overtly bad acting from any of the other cast.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2011, 07:22:09 AM »
Man, are we all watching the same show? Three episodes in and I'm done.  This show puts soap operas to shame with the amount of over the top nonsense that goes on in one episode, and the acting and writing are sketchy at times. It'll be lucky if it lasts a season before it flames out creatively.
Wow, I'm guessing you are in the minority who thinks its a bad show. I love the show and think the acting has been top notch.
Looking forward to next weeks episode.
buy hey, too each his own.

Not to cause controversy, but I'll take American Horror to that stupid zombie show. That does nothing for me. Different strokes I guess.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 08:46:50 AM »
Not to cause controversy, but I'll take American Horror to that stupid zombie show. That does nothing for me. Different strokes I guess.
I enjoy them both. But I like just about every zombie movie no matter how cheesy or bad they are. This last episode of AHS was pretty neat I thought, how they revealed a great deal more about the history of the home. The character plots and storylines seem so twisted and intricate, although they are starting to pan out a bit. I think it's a neat show.
 I liked how they explained how the maid is viewed differently by men and women. Pretty neat.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 08:49:28 AM »
I enjoy them both. But I like just about every zombie movie no matter how cheesy or bad they are. This last episode of AHS was pretty neat I thought, how they revealed a great deal more about the history of the home. The character plots and storylines seem so twisted and intricate, although they are starting to pan out a bit. I think it's a neat show.
 I liked how they explained how the maid is viewed differently by men and women. Pretty neat.
That's cool. I'm not knocking the many folks that like it. I just never enjoyed the whole zombie genre dating dating to the 60's when it first became popular.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 08:50:56 AM »
When it was black and white. :lol

I saw the first episode and it was creepy as all hell.  The wife and I are intrigued
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 09:21:17 AM »
I saw the first episode and it was creepy as all hell. 
Completely Agree. I don't think that I was really ready or expecting a show like this. I didn't know what to expect but it certainly wasn't this type of 'scary'. I mentioned earlier in the thread, this show isn't a jump out and scare you show....it's seems to be a mental, moral...demented type of scary. Which is refreshing in a way.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 09:47:44 AM »
I saw the first episode and it was creepy as all hell. 
Completely Agree. I don't think that I was really ready or expecting a show like this. I didn't know what to expect but it certainly wasn't this type of 'scary'. I mentioned earlier in the thread, this show isn't a jump out and scare you show....it's seems to be a mental, moral...demented type of scary. Which is refreshing in a way.
Ok, now you all have me intrigued. Perhaps I shouldn't judge a book by its cover. I just never dug zombie movies.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 10:15:00 AM »
Umm... I think they were both talking about AHS and not TWD.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 10:18:28 AM »
Umm... I think they were both talking about AHS and not TWD.
Oops! :facepalm:

:biggrin: I love American Horror Story!

Offline Tick

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 04:43:55 PM »
Episode 4 was excellent. Looking forward to next weeks show.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2011, 05:03:10 PM »
Episode 4 was excellent. Looking forward to next weeks show.
What to me was a once almost obvious Tate being in the black s&m suit how has become "I have no friggin' idea". I want to think that it is still Tate, but after seeing him and his stature in the suite in the basement and then seeing the 'other' guy, it looks like two different bodies.
  I am leaning towards the idea that even thier real estate agent is 'dead' or somehow a part of that house like the rest of them. Just a feeling I get from the way they portray her scenes.
 And speaking of scenes, that last scene of episode 4 was a nice WTF....open the door and there's the girl you buried in your back yard. For as spurratic and twisted as this plot is they somehow keep it tied together and coherant. Still impressed by that.