Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Lost.
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 09:19:45 AM »
well should should probably edit the quote to :P
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »
Forgot quotes don't auto update.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2011, 10:14:08 AM »
One of my favorite shows. Haters gonna hate.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2011, 11:10:25 AM »
Wow, this thread died fast. Right now I'm just starting the 8th episode, which is apparently Sawyer's. I like the show, but I really don't give a fuck about his character.

That should change after watching his first centric episode.  That's kind of the theme of season 1, introducing you to all of these characters and finding out that most of them are not who/what they appear to be.

I'd love to keep this thread alive, I absolutely adore this show and could talk about it forever!

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2011, 12:31:30 PM »
The first Sawyer episode is pretty bad.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2011, 12:44:10 PM »
Really?  I think it sets up the basic themes of his character that play out over the course of the series pretty well.  Namely (and hopefully MetalJunkie has watched it by now so this isn't spoilery):

He's a con man.
Despite his dumb redneck facade he's actually quite clever.
Despite his I don't give a shit about anybody but myself facade he actually has quite the soft spot.

Also, I can't remember exactly, but doesn't it introduce the whole backstory of his parents and his letter he carries around and all that?

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2011, 11:31:01 PM »
Can't tell if monster is invisible, or if camera is pulling a Home Improvement "Wilson" style shot.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Kosmo

« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »
I sort of wish that it was invisible.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2011, 12:48:43 AM »
Fuck this Ethan guy.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2011, 10:08:10 AM »
There is no Ethan, only Rapeface.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #45 on: October 20, 2011, 10:27:37 AM »
ethan's cool -- he was the mousy looking bad guy in Mission Impossible 2

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #46 on: October 20, 2011, 10:41:10 AM »
God damn I fucking loved lost. It's really a great show once you get into it, I'm going to have to rewatch it really soon.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #47 on: October 20, 2011, 10:50:56 AM »
The name of the actor who played Ethan is William Mapother.   :eek

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: October 20, 2011, 03:09:01 PM »
The whole dynamic of the show begins to change by that point, plus the way it ends is absolutely perfect. The last three seasons seem hellbent on answering questions just to appease the audience and introduce ridiculous mythology that was just too uninteresting for me. The show changes from being a really cool survival show about the characters that takes place on a crazy island to a show about the crazy island.

Yup. Season 3's finale is the real Series finale for me.

As much as I enjoyed the show the first time, seasons 5 and 6 suck. If you don't believe me, rewatch them.

The first season is outstanding stuff. 2 and 3 are also pretty damn good. Then it really goes downhill except for a few episodes here and there.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
Yea seasons 5 and 6 kinda went downhill but I really enjoyed the finale

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2011, 12:27:39 PM »
I would agree that seasons 4-6 are not as good as seasons 1-3, but I would not go as far as to say they "suck."  Then again I'm not as quick to label things that are inferior to their predecessors as "sucking" as a lot of citizens of the internet are.  They're still Lost and they're still great, and I also enjoyed the series finale very much.  I've always compared Lost to a Stephen King epic (and on a side note he was a big fan of the show and the show runners were big fans of his).  Great ensemble cast of interesting characters with well-developed back stories.  An epic sci-fi fantasy story that's really about the human relationships and stories of the characters.  Gets a little convoluted and silly toward the end, maybe not wrapped up in the best way possible, but when it's all said and done it's hard to say you didn't enjoy the work as a whole.  That's my take anyway.

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2011, 01:43:37 PM »
I would agree that seasons 4-6 are not as good as seasons 1-3, but I would not go as far as to say they "suck."  Then again I'm not as quick to label things that are inferior to their predecessors as "sucking" as a lot of citizens of the internet are.  They're still Lost and they're still great, and I also enjoyed the series finale very much.  I've always compared Lost to a Stephen King epic (and on a side note he was a big fan of the show and the show runners were big fans of his).  Great ensemble cast of interesting characters with well-developed back stories.  An epic sci-fi fantasy story that's really about the human relationships and stories of the characters.  Gets a little convoluted and silly toward the end, maybe not wrapped up in the best way possible, but when it's all said and done it's hard to say you didn't enjoy the work as a whole.  That's my take anyway.

well said Hugo

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2011, 01:52:34 PM »
I was kinda with you up until the back story part. The way they handled the time travel and Jacob/Man In Black origin story was one of the biggest cases of writers not being able to handle a storyline I've ever seen.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2011, 12:19:51 AM »
Seems like the Shannon/Sayid romance is kinda forced. Also, I have a feeling something strange is up with Locke. I just started the episode where Jack went looking for him after Boone's death.

Edit: I also love the fact that for Sawyer's glasses they had to melt two different frames together. I think a lot of writers would have missed out on that part, implying vision problems are symmetrical.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:04:13 AM by MetalJunkie »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2011, 12:03:35 AM »
The more I watch, the more I like every character. Except Michael.

"Walt! Waaaaaaalt! WAAAAAAAAALT Waaaaaaalt!"

Jesus, dude. Shut the fuck up.

Edit:

Holy shit. Shannon just got shot. Awkwaaard...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 12:12:23 AM by MetalJunkie »

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #55 on: November 01, 2011, 12:16:40 AM »
The more I watch, the more I like every character. Except Michael.

"Walt! Waaaaaaalt! WAAAAAAAAALT Waaaaaaalt!"

Jesus, dude. Shut the fuck up.

Edit:

Holy shit. Shannon just got shot. Awkwaaard...

man you are REALLY going to hate Michael later in season 2...

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2011, 12:23:20 AM »
I'm 7 episodes into Season 2 right now. At this point the raft has been broken up and Walt has been kidnapped. Shannon kept seeing Walt at various places on the island, and she was just shot.

That's where I'm at right now. You're telling me it gets worse?

Offline mrjazzguitar

• I play guitar.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • rump horrot
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2011, 10:51:36 AM »
I'm 7 episodes into Season 2 right now. At this point the raft has been broken up and Walt has been kidnapped. Shannon kept seeing Walt at various places on the island, and she was just shot.

That's where I'm at right now. You're telling me it gets worse?

you have no idea

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #58 on: November 01, 2011, 10:53:54 AM »
Michael gets very horrible/annoying in season 2.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #59 on: November 01, 2011, 03:33:10 PM »
He just talked to his kid on the computer.

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2011, 03:39:51 PM »
 :laugh: :tup

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2011, 03:47:02 PM »
Man... I completely disagree with the "Season 1 was the best!" attitude.  I thought Season 1 was by far the worst.  In fact, I thought each Season was better than the last until Season 6, which sorta took a step backwards (although I thought the ending was perfect).

Season 1 was boring as fuck.

edit:  Also - didn't there used to be an epically long Lost thread somewhere around here?  I remember posting in it pretty much every week during the last couple of seasons.  I guess maybe it got trimmed away at some point?  :'(

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2011, 03:59:15 PM »
Season 1 is the most dear to my heart because it was what got me into the show and blew my mind into infinite tiny particles.  I bought the dvd set at Costco the summer it came out along with a case of red bulls and a handle of vodka, then called out sick to work the next day so I could finish the whole thing.  Every season after that I had to watch in real time on tv and the waiting between episodes/seasons was painful, so season 1 was my most enjoyable/memorable viewing experience.  But I love them all, I just have to throw in some criticism so all the other internet kids will think I'm cool and have unrealistically high standards about every minute detail of the universe too!  Lost is my favorite show of all time, ALL TIME! and I could talk/gush/preach/pontificate about it all day every day if you guys wanted me to!

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2011, 04:05:33 PM »
...really about the human relationships and stories of the characters.

Exactly this.  Which is one of the reasons I like the later seasons better.  I feel like like the characters gained so much more depth and complexity as the seasons went on.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2011, 06:09:35 PM »
Disagreed. The characterizations in Season 1 destroy any from the rest of the series, especially in terms of relatively smarter writing and interesting stories. The stuff in the later seasons was a criminal dismantling and unnecessary toying with almost every single major character save for maybe Hurley, Sun and Jin. The show turned from a group of people you might actually want to care about into cartoonish versions of themselves making inane decisions.

I'm wondering if I'd have the same opinions had I watched the show from the very beginning into of plowing through it in a few weeks. The former might've allowed me to marinate on some things though doing it the latter (the way MJ is) showcases a pretty clear quality decline in the later seasons from every aspect of the show.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2011, 06:38:01 PM »
Idunno... it's been a while since I've watched Season 1, but I think Locke and maybe Charlie were really the only characters I found all that interesting in Season 1.  Sawyer ended up being one of my favorite characters (and one of the most interesting), but I couldn't stand him in Season 1.  I always thought of Jack as just as annoying tool until the later seasons, and the best character in the entire series (Ben) didn't even show up until halfway through Season 2 and didn't become a regular until Season 3...

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2011, 07:17:54 PM »
Half-way through Season 2. What the fuck is Charlie thinking? He's gonna try to be a dad while simultaneously toting around heroin? Hell, it doesn't even matter if he's not using; he was using in the past, so the thought of even keeping it near him should never have crossed his mind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2011, 09:43:49 PM »
Half-way through Season 2. What the fuck is Charlie thinking? He's gonna try to be a dad while simultaneously toting around heroin? Hell, it doesn't even matter if he's not using; he was using in the past, so the thought of even keeping it near him should never have crossed his mind.

Charlie's an idiot.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2011, 09:44:35 PM »
hated charlie. easily my least favorite character

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:42 AM »
Really?  Easily?!  I loved Charlie.  Least favorite character without a doubt was Michael.