Author Topic: Lost.  (Read 38108 times)

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Re: Lost.
« Reply #315 on: March 25, 2023, 08:33:47 AM »
Agreed about the finale. The show in general was really good. There were some ‘misses’ here and there but all in all it was a great series.

You guys have me contemplating a rewatch now. I’ve only watched it the one time in its original run.

I think it's a show that strongly benefits from being able to watch it when you want. I was only aware of it during its original run and didn't watch it until it had finished, and part of me can relate to the frustration of waiting months for answers after cliffhanger endings to seasons, or you have a 'filler' episode one week and you're stuck waiting for your favorite storyline to take another step. I can see why, in that context the show might have frustrated some people. While binge watching comes with its own set of problems, I think Lost is one of those shows that is greatly enhanced when you have the option to see the next episode right away if you want to.

That original format was standard at the time but it's different for a mystery show like Lost I think where the story was a continuous thing playing out with each episode. I feel like some problems people had with the show might have been a lot smaller had they not been waiting between episodes creating certain expectations and so on.

Online T-ski

« Reply #316 on: March 25, 2023, 09:31:38 AM »
If I remember correctly the middle of the series was really affected by the writers strike and that’s when the show kind of waned and it took a while to get it back rolling to where it originally was.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #317 on: March 25, 2023, 09:47:45 AM »
If I remember correctly the middle of the series was really affected by the writers strike and that’s when the show kind of waned and it took a while to get it back rolling to where it originally was.

I believe you’re correct. They were throwing random crap at the wall there for a bit.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #318 on: March 27, 2023, 08:40:05 AM »

Yeah, I thought the season during the strike that ended up being cut in half wasn't so bad, but the writing started to suffer after the strike. 

I did a rewatch like 4 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  I always thought the ending was better than people gave it credit for.  There were a couple unanswered questions, but they actually managed to tie most of it up by the end and there were a couple deleted scenes from the finale that further answered questions. 

While GOT was airing, I was pretty sure GOT had surpassed Lost as my favorite show, but GOT last season was so bad that I actually think Lost still reigns as my favorite. 

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #319 on: March 28, 2023, 07:54:35 AM »
The finale is amazing and I feel it's only polarizing because a lot of people stopped watching before that point but tuned in to the finale and then they were confused about it. It's still my favorite show ever and I think the finale is a top3 episode of the show. The show really hits on an emotional level that I feel a lot of other great shows just don't.
I think one of the hardest things to pull off from a storytelling perspective is tying up every loose plot thread while also being satisfying on a thematic/emotional level. Lost may not have answered every question or tied up every loose end, but I don't personally care about that stuff as much. It seems like the writers knew they had to wrap things up and decided to focus way more on the characters and such in the finale as opposed to answering every question about the Dharma Initiative or whatever.

I understand why some people were disappointed by that, but honestly I think they made the right call in the end. In a perfect world, they would have had time to get to everything, but that almost never happens. I think they pretty much nailed it given the situation.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #320 on: March 28, 2023, 08:16:24 AM »
There was a line said in the show that I'm 100% sure the writers put in explicitly as their own line to the fans "every answer leads to another question" (or something similar to that) which is very true.  If they explained something, it would lead to more questions about the explanation.  At some point, you just have to leave it.  I think the only question they really never answered that deserved something was Walt since they focused so much on him so much. If I recall, the deleted scene shed some light more so on the explanation was that they were just wrong about him.  (My memory could be off here).

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #321 on: March 28, 2023, 09:28:14 AM »
The finale is amazing and I feel it's only polarizing because a lot of people stopped watching before that point but tuned in to the finale and then they were confused about it. It's still my favorite show ever and I think the finale is a top3 episode of the show. The show really hits on an emotional level that I feel a lot of other great shows just don't.
I think one of the hardest things to pull off from a storytelling perspective is tying up every loose plot thread while also being satisfying on a thematic/emotional level. Lost may not have answered every question or tied up every loose end, but I don't personally care about that stuff as much. It seems like the writers knew they had to wrap things up and decided to focus way more on the characters and such in the finale as opposed to answering every question about the Dharma Initiative or whatever.

I understand why some people were disappointed by that, but honestly I think they made the right call in the end. In a perfect world, they would have had time to get to everything, but that almost never happens. I think they pretty much nailed it given the situation.

I think it's fine for some things to not get an explanation as well. Sure, you wanna answer the big questions that people had and I feel like they did. Certain other smaller questions might have fallen to the way side a bit but I feel like there's room for interpretation and imagination to fill that in. But overall I would say as a fan, most questions I've come across that people said "were never answered" actually were answered.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #322 on: March 29, 2023, 09:22:12 AM »

I think it's fine for some things to not get an explanation as well. Sure, you wanna answer the big questions that people had and I feel like they did. Certain other smaller questions might have fallen to the way side a bit but I feel like there's room for interpretation and imagination to fill that in. But overall I would say as a fan, most questions I've come across that people said "were never answered" actually were answered.

That's really interesting. I never followed the fan discourse much but it doesn't surprise me that at least some of what people complain about isn't actually worth complaining about. :lol

I also think that not explaining everything can actually be a positive when done correctly. Hell, there are entire franchises (e.g., Dark Souls) that are great because they just sprinkle in a bit of lore and leave everything else up to your imagination.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #323 on: January 10, 2024, 10:47:36 PM »
Been on a bit of a JJ Abrams kick lately. Just finished watching Fringe for the second time. Love that show.

Now I'm going to start my second (or is it third?) watch of Lost. Will probably go back and rewatch Alias too.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #324 on: January 24, 2024, 07:12:35 AM »
Lost is still my favorite show of all time. It's been a few years since my last viewing but I'm waiting for my kids to get a bit older so they can watch it.