Author Topic: Lost.  (Read 38582 times)

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
Re: Lost.
« Reply #245 on: September 17, 2012, 07:09:16 AM »
I'm a huge fan of the show. I still love it, and I'm planning to buy the huge box-set some day when I have loads of cash on hand.
I bought it for $100. *shrugs*
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #246 on: September 17, 2012, 07:18:40 AM »
To some of us, that's loads of cash.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #247 on: September 17, 2012, 09:35:58 AM »
What do you guys think of this theory? https://ericknowsitall.com/ultimate-lost-theory/

I think it's brilliant, but I'm not quite sure if it's intentional. That would be awesome as fuck though.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #248 on: September 17, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
Currently reading this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Humanity-Mythology-Themes-LOST/dp/1463548702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347897491&sr=8-1&keywords=Pearson+Moore

Pretty interesting read... Giving a whole new perspective to the entire show.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #249 on: September 17, 2012, 10:06:26 AM »
Currently reading this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Lost-Humanity-Mythology-Themes-LOST/dp/1463548702/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1347897491&sr=8-1&keywords=Pearson+Moore

Pretty interesting read... Giving a whole new perspective to the entire show.
Ohh nice. Looks interesting!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #250 on: September 17, 2012, 10:43:23 AM »
What do you guys think of this theory? https://ericknowsitall.com/ultimate-lost-theory/

I think it's brilliant, but I'm not quite sure if it's intentional. That would be awesome as fuck though.

This. So far this theory is the one that makes more sense.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #251 on: September 17, 2012, 12:17:03 PM »
There is only one thing  I didn't understand ...

why didn't Ben go in the church in the finale? Was it because he wasn't on the plane that crashed? And also, where was Micahel?

I've read a couple of ideas on the Ben thing.  Everybody in the church sort of "needed" each other to find themselves and to finally be at peace with themselves and their lives, and to discover their purpose.  I think Christian at one point said something to Jack along the lines of "these are the people with whom you've spent the most significant part of your life".  They also seemed to make a point of showing everybody in the church being their with their constant.  The only exceptions are Locke and Boone, but an argument could be made that Locke's constant was the island itself, and that both Sayid and Boone shared Shannon as their constant.  Ben may have been excluded because, while his time with the island people was pretty important, it wasn't necessarily the most important thing he did in his life.  The argument could be made that Ben's more important purpose was to raise and protect Alex.  He failed to this on the island, but he was given a second chance in the sideways world, and he's dedicating his sideways world to that purpose.  Possibly to the point where his constant is Alex.  But he hasn't yet actually competed that task in the sideways world (hence Ben saying that he isn't coming into the church because he's still got work to do.  As for Michael, I'm not quite as sure, but I think the idea is that his purgatory-type place was on the island itself when he was stuck in limbo, so he had to move on separately by reconnecting with Walt, which he presumably did after Hurley and Ben brought Walt back to the island.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #252 on: September 17, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
There is only one thing  I didn't understand ...

why didn't Ben go in the church in the finale? Was it because he wasn't on the plane that crashed? And also, where was Micahel?

I've read a couple of ideas on the Ben thing.  Everybody in the church sort of "needed" each other to find themselves and to finally be at peace with themselves and their lives, and to discover their purpose.  I think Christian at one point said something to Jack along the lines of "these are the people with whom you've spent the most significant part of your life".  They also seemed to make a point of showing everybody in the church being their with their constant.  The only exceptions are Locke and Boone, but an argument could be made that Locke's constant was the island itself, and that both Sayid and Boone shared Shannon as their constant.  Ben may have been excluded because, while his time with the island people was pretty important, it wasn't necessarily the most important thing he did in his life.  The argument could be made that Ben's more important purpose was to raise and protect Alex.  He failed to this on the island, but he was given a second chance in the sideways world, and he's dedicating his sideways world to that purpose.  Possibly to the point where his constant is Alex.  But he hasn't yet actually competed that task in the sideways world (hence Ben saying that he isn't coming into the church because he's still got work to do.  As for Michael, I'm not quite as sure, but I think the idea is that his purgatory-type place was on the island itself when he was stuck in limbo, so he had to move on separately by reconnecting with Walt, which he presumably did after Hurley and Ben brought Walt back to the island.

That makes sense. I thought maybe Ben had completely taken over the island and had not died yet. I thought maybe Hugo failed, or chose to pass the torch to Ben (which is all he seemed to want in life).

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #253 on: September 17, 2012, 12:58:32 PM »
Interesting theory.

A lot of it does make sense and while it's pretty clear that the kernel of the idea was always there in the show, some of the choices, plotlines, characters and macguffins that were introduced (and some were summarily killed or dismissed) it's clear that they didn't really much of an idea of how to get there.  A lot of that can be blamed on the nature of television programming but I think the writers are as deserving of some of the blame.

Still, despite my qualms, Lost was a very important series and one that was mostly enjoyable to experience as it played out.  I need to do another watch of it sometime soon, but with both DS9 and Farscape on my plate right now, I'm not going to throw another television show into the mix.  Plus, I'm extremely leery of both Seasons 2 and 3.  I have a lot of bad memories from those seasons.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #254 on: September 17, 2012, 01:03:46 PM »

This. So far this theory is the one that makes more sense.

Question about a bit in this article...

"This also explains why the smoke monster can only appear to people as things from their past: Jack’s dad, Kate’s horse, Ben’s mom, Richard’s wife (in the Black Rock), Mr. Eko’s brother, Yemi, etc…"

Didn't Walt also appear several times. He never spoke, but I remember him putting his finger to his lips and saying "shhh" (I think Hugo saw him). He wasn't dead....

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #255 on: September 17, 2012, 01:09:28 PM »
Well, they always said Walt was a special kid. Maybe the smoke monster could pose as him because of this, or maybe it wasn't the smoke monster at all.
I think there are quite a few things the article leaves out and to be honest there are so many things to analyze in that series that coming up with one theory that can fully explain everything is quite hard. I like the one in that article a lot but it's still missing stuff just like the one you mention. Have you read any explanation elsewhere on why Walt appears randomly on the island?
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #256 on: September 17, 2012, 01:12:49 PM »
I always thought it was Walt's unconscious use of his "special-ness."

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #257 on: September 17, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
Either way... I hated Walt. His dad was a douche too.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #258 on: September 17, 2012, 01:56:01 PM »
Either way... I hated Walt. His dad was a douche too.
Michael became insufferable on season 2. Like, so!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #259 on: September 17, 2012, 02:19:36 PM »
I don't think the Smoke Monster was Walt.  And he did speak a couple of times.  SPOILERHe spoke to Locke when Locke was in the Dharma grave after Ben shot him.  As far as to how he did that or whatever... I don't think that was ever really answered.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #260 on: September 17, 2012, 06:03:50 PM »
Season 3 has one of my favorite season finales ever. I do enjoy season 5, and Martin Keamy, but otherwise the second half kind of disappointed me, especially in season 6 where the fewer episodes we had left, the more and more I realised we weren't going to get as many answers as I wanted. Kind of makes me wonder what the original 23-24 episode seasons 4 & 5 would have been like had the writer's strike not derped everything.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: September 18, 2012, 12:50:54 AM »
Probably wouldn't have learned more. The writers requested an end date so they can put closure on the story. If they had those extra episodes, I doubt we would have gotten more answers. Although I bet season 3 would have been better overall.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #262 on: March 29, 2016, 07:50:55 AM »
Currently re-watching Lost and finished S3 again. Through the Looking Glass might just be my favorite episode. (that one, The Constant and The End would be my top3 probably)

Jack to me was always a solid, but not one of my favorite characters, but upon re-watching it, I enjoy him more, and Matthew Fox's performance in Through the Looking Glass is brilliant. The ending when you realize it takes place forward in time and not backwards is perfectly done, and the scene is just so effective. All the clever setups before worked so well. "WE HAVE TO GO BACK"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #263 on: March 29, 2016, 08:00:39 AM »
I can't wait to watch this show again some day.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #264 on: March 29, 2016, 08:01:45 AM »
I can't wait to watch this show again some day.

Yea, I'd really like to as well, but I don't know when I'll find the time.  I have a hard enough time keeping up with active shows.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #265 on: March 29, 2016, 09:09:18 AM »
I recently watched all six seasons and loved it. What is everyone's opinion on the ending?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #266 on: March 29, 2016, 09:10:25 AM »
I recently watched all six seasons and loved it. What is everyone's opinion on the ending?

I had no issues with it.  It wasn't the best ending, but I enjoyed it overall.  I know a lot of people didn't like it though.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #267 on: March 29, 2016, 09:17:40 AM »
It's definitely one of my favorite finales ever. I hear people rave over the Breaking Bad finale, but to me that was a fairly underwhelming one, because everything that happened played out pretty much exactly as I thought it would. Lost had more of an emotional impact on me. The church scene and the final 5-6 minutes overall were just perfect.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #268 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:16 AM »
Yea I enjoyed Lost alot even though it was a bit messy. One thing I loved with the show which might not get as praised is the flashbacks and backstorys for all the main characters, they were always so well made imo and almost like entire small spinn offs in a way.

Someday I plan on re-watching it all again, to many current shows to follow atm.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #269 on: March 29, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
The flash sideways just wasn't that interesting to me, the ending to the story on the island was what I really enjoyed.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #270 on: March 29, 2016, 09:20:49 AM »
The flash sideways just wasn't that interesting to me, the ending to the story on the island was what I really enjoyed.

I really liked the idea of them spiritually meeting up again in another life. Not all of the stories were amazing, but that comes down to which characters you prefered, and also affected flashbacks of the first seasons.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #271 on: March 29, 2016, 09:25:26 AM »

I really liked the idea of them spiritually meeting up again in another life. Not all of the stories were amazing, but that comes down to which characters you prefered, and also affected flashbacks of the first seasons.

I don't dislike the idea of them being together in a spiritual world, it's more of the fact that half of the final season was in a world that had little to no bearing on the actual story.  The flash backwards/forwards from the previous seasons were more interesting and more relevant to the story and what was happening in the current timeframe.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #272 on: March 29, 2016, 09:53:06 AM »
Currently re-watching Lost and finished S3 again. Through the Looking Glass might just be my favorite episode. (that one, The Constant and The End would be my top3 probably)

Jack to me was always a solid, but not one of my favorite characters, but upon re-watching it, I enjoy him more, and Matthew Fox's performance in Through the Looking Glass is brilliant. The ending when you realize it takes place forward in time and not backwards is perfectly done, and the scene is just so effective. All the clever setups before worked so well. "WE HAVE TO GO BACK"

If the show ended at that point I would've been absolutely perfect. Instead seasons 4-6 were executed like a very unnecessary sequel to a really solid movie.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #273 on: March 29, 2016, 09:57:19 AM »
The flash backwards/forwards from the previous seasons were more interesting and more relevant to the story and what was happening in the current timeframe.
Yea those were the ones I was talking about.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #274 on: March 29, 2016, 09:57:49 AM »
I don't think it would have been a good show finale overall because as amazing as it is as a season 3 closer, if you had ended it right there, I think a lot of people would have been upset because even more questions would be unanswered, and you would basically rob the viewers of one thing they were waiting for all along - the rescue part.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #275 on: March 29, 2016, 10:22:22 AM »
I guess it depends on how you first viewed the show and developed questions (especially ones for details that don't matter at all) but I watched the entire show over the span of two weeks and after season 3 ended I thought "This is perfect. Everything is as wrapped up as it should be." Then season 4 started and the wheels came off the cart immediately. Honestly, how many of these questions that viewers have don't have an answer of "Nobody gives a shit"? I can't remember specific examples that my friends were bringing up when the finale aired but it was almost all nitpicking crap that had no bearing on the story whatsoever.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #276 on: March 29, 2016, 10:36:55 AM »
I'm not so sure how season 3 would be a good ending honestly.  I don't remember enough to make a valid reason why, but that just doesn't seem right to me.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #277 on: March 29, 2016, 10:50:41 AM »
It's definitely one of my favorite finales ever.

I like it too. I especially love when the dog (forgot his name) comes to make Jack company and Jack's smile after he sees the plane. He seems so happy but in a heartbreaking way.

Most say the show declined after Season 4 and i understand the complaints but i think it's still was a great show. I definitely would rewatch it again.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 10:55:45 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #278 on: March 29, 2016, 10:55:49 AM »
Even as a huge fan, I can say the show declined as well.  Most shows decline, I think Breaking Bad is one of the few that got better as it went on.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2016, 11:03:14 AM »
Even as a huge fan, I can say the show declined as well.

I agree but it didn't ruined the show for me like it did for many.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:08:24 AM by Outcrier »
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.