Author Topic: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread  (Read 271709 times)

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
Re: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread
« Reply #1820 on: April 15, 2012, 07:39:51 PM »
About a third of the way through Kitchen Confidential and The End of Faith and a few vignettes into Naked Lunch. I'm reading Arguably at my leisure too.

Offline wolfandwolfandwolf

• Gym Rat
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Really Scrappy Player
« Reply #1821 on: April 16, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Finished the Hunger Games series in roughly a week's time, now reading Blue Like Jazz and Screwtape Letters.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1822 on: April 16, 2012, 04:59:18 PM »
Re-reading Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, currently on the second book of ten, Deadhouse Gates.

Given that the shortest book in the series is 200,000 words long, and most are over 350,000, I'm gonna be here a while.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1823 on: April 16, 2012, 05:59:24 PM »
About a third of the way through Kitchen Confidential

I love reading Bourdain, but that book is probably the one I enjoyed the most.  I'm currently reading:

The Nasty Bits by Anthony Bourdain
ESPN: Those Guys Have All the Fun by Jim Miller and Tom Shales
The Progress Paradox: How Life Gets Better While People Feel Worse by Gregg Easterbrook
The Internet is a Playground by David Thorne
Mastermind: The Rise and Fall of Fritz Haber by Daniel Charles
Handbook of Radical Polymerization edited by Krzysztof Matyjaszewski
Macrocycles: Construction, Chemistry and Nanotechnology Applications edited Frank Davis and Séamus Higson

Offline MykeHavoc

• Send More Cops
« Reply #1824 on: April 17, 2012, 10:10:07 AM »
I'm currently reading a whole mess of DC comics at the moment. Catching up on the new 52.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1825 on: April 17, 2012, 10:19:07 AM »
Re-reading Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen series, currently on the second book of ten, Deadhouse Gates.

Given that the shortest book in the series is 200,000 words long, and most are over 350,000, I'm gonna be here a while.  :lol
If I ever start a new fantasy series again it will probably be that one.  I just started a reread of R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing trilogy, myself.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #1826 on: April 17, 2012, 10:20:37 AM »
Nearly finished Sam Harris's latest offering: Free Will.  66 pages of interesting headfuck with regard to our notions of free will - it's made me sit up and take notice, that's for sure...

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1827 on: April 17, 2012, 11:20:38 AM »
Nearly finished Sam Harris's latest offering: Free Will.  66 pages of interesting headfuck with regard to our notions of free will - it's made me sit up and take notice, that's for sure...

Yeah, but it's so dreadfully short. After that headfuck he uses one page to basically say how this could change everything. I really wish he had made it a full 200 page book and used the remaining 130+ pages in order to explain how his theories should affect how we conduct ourselves in the future.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1828 on: April 17, 2012, 02:11:15 PM »
1/4 of the way through Hellbent by Cherie Priest. It's a nice take on the vampire thing, and the writing/narration is really funny and entertaining.

Finished it. It was a fun read, though it could have used some editing.

Next up: The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1829 on: April 17, 2012, 03:36:34 PM »

Yeah, but it's so dreadfully short. After that headfuck he uses one page to basically say how this could change everything. I really wish he had made it a full 200 page book and used the remaining 130+ pages in order to explain how his theories should affect how we conduct ourselves in the future.

I'm about half way through with The End of Faith and now more than ever, I think Harris is a complete ass.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1830 on: April 17, 2012, 04:14:02 PM »
Finished The Hunger Games trilogy. Simply alright I'd say. Kinda felt rushed near the end and I simply didn't like certain parts about it and found what seemed like several major logic flaws, but I'll give my favorite.

The premise is that the game-makers are constantly trying to keep the games exciting and trying out new twists and turns in order to achieve this. With that said, you're going to tell me that in 74 years of the games no one thought to have a game in which the district reps would team up until the end? Seems like an uber obvious thing to try.

In any case now maybe I'll finally get through some more of Bill Clinton's memoir.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1831 on: April 17, 2012, 04:56:48 PM »
To defend the book, of the 74 hunger games, 72 of them were normal. It was only during the "Quarter Quells" that anything out of the norm happened.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1832 on: April 17, 2012, 05:04:29 PM »
It was the only time it was mandated that something special be happening, but numerous examples of different twists and turns the games had taken over the years were given in the book. Most dealt with terrain, traps, the difficulties the combatants would face and such.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1833 on: April 17, 2012, 05:14:39 PM »
I would think there is a difference between twists in what the players face and twists in who the players are, but there's no point in arguing the point. I couldn't care less.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1834 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:59 PM »
I'm about half way through with The End of Faith and now more than ever, I think Harris is a complete ass.

And here I thought he was one of your idols...?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1835 on: April 17, 2012, 07:27:54 PM »
Nah, I really like Dawkins and adore Hitchens. I don't know enough about Dennett to make a judgement call (I have Breaking the Spell, I need to read it), but I really dislike Harris.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #1836 on: April 17, 2012, 07:31:05 PM »
Reading The Night Circus currently, as well as A Dance With Dragons.  Both are very good so far.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1837 on: April 17, 2012, 07:41:31 PM »

Offline Omega

« Reply #1838 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:40 PM »
Nah, I really like Dawkins and adore Hitchens. I don't know enough about Dennett to make a judgement call (I have Breaking the Spell, I need to read it), but I really dislike Harris.

Why? Not that I'm complaining, by the way...
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1839 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:18 PM »
He's far too militant and crazy for my taste.

"We should nuke Muslim countries before they develop nukes because they don't fear death so they'll have no problem nuking us..."

Really, dude?

Not to mention the fact that he is an extremist to the extent of the people he hates. He not only believes violence against people is justified, I think I can say he goes so far as to be an anti-pacifist, which is something I'm not at all cool with. I'm relatively hippie-esque, so reading that shit pisses me off...

Offline Omega

« Reply #1840 on: April 18, 2012, 02:12:27 PM »
He's far too militant and crazy for my taste.

"We should nuke Muslim countries before they develop nukes because they don't fear death so they'll have no problem nuking us..."

Really, dude?

Not to mention the fact that he is an extremist to the extent of the people he hates. He not only believes violence against people is justified, I think I can say he goes so far as to be an anti-pacifist, which is something I'm not at all cool with. I'm relatively hippie-esque, so reading that shit pisses me off...

Hitchens and Dawkins seem pretty militant about their atheism as well. They wish to ban religion from the public square and often harp on about how they should do x to get rid of religion and even publish books with titles like How Religion Poisons Everything.

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1841 on: April 18, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »
Reading The Picture of Dorian Gray, it's fantastic.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1842 on: April 18, 2012, 07:01:34 PM »
Hitchens and Dawkins seem pretty militant about their atheism as well.

I'd say there is a difference between feeling very passionate about an idea and being a militant. To me, a militant involves using violence as a means to one's end.

They wish to ban religion from the public square

This is untrue. As much as Dawkins and Hitchens hate religion and would love if it was kept out of the public square, neither one of them has ever[/b/] said it should be banned. They dislike religion because it "makes a virtue out of not thinking" and would like a more secular look on life, teaching science, etc. They believe in the freedom to say whatever the hell you want, no matter how stupid.

often harp on about how they should do x to get rid of religion and even publish books with titles like How Religion Poisons Everything.

To them and many others, religion should be gotten rid of. It isn't very hard to see why they think the way they do, regardless of whether you believe it or not. As for titles of books like God is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything and The God Delusion, you have to realize two things. A. These guys need to have titles like that. They need to have people gasp at their titles so people will by the book. It's sensationalism, but it really makes sense. Look at the titles of Hitchen's other works (No One Left to Lie to, Missionary Position, etc.) B. These guys really feel that way. Hitchens truly believes that religion poisons everything and Dawkins really believes it takes a deluded person to believe in God. That's just, like, their opinions, man...

Offline Sigz

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1843 on: April 18, 2012, 07:03:23 PM »
Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between being hostile towards a belief and saying an entire region of the world should be nuked.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1844 on: April 18, 2012, 07:04:09 PM »
I fucked up my bold...too bad I can't edit my posts.

Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between being hostile towards a belief and saying an entire region of the world should be nuked.

Which truly is what Sam Harris considers in The End of Faith

Offline Omega

« Reply #1845 on: April 18, 2012, 08:01:34 PM »
This is untrue. As much as Dawkins and Hitchens hate religion and would love if it was kept out of the public square, neither one of them has ever said it should be banned. They dislike religion because it "makes a virtue out of not thinking" and would like a more secular look on life, teaching science, etc. They believe in the freedom to say whatever the hell you want, no matter how stupid.

This is one of the reasons why Hitchens and Dawkins frustrate me (one of the more petty reasons; there's a list of them, I'd like to add): they always attempt to force a false battle between "science vs religion" when, as any learned philosopher or theologian will tell you, they are in no way incompatible or mutually exclusive to each other.

To them and many others, religion should be gotten rid of. It isn't very hard to see why they think the way they do, regardless of whether you believe it or not. Hitchens truly believes that religion poisons everything and Dawkins really believes it takes a deluded person to believe in God. That's just, like, their opinions, man...

And also, as you point out correctly that it's their opinions, it is completely futile and arbitrary to condemn an entire worldview on its social impacts; one could easily say the same thing about atheism and it would lead to the same dead end of a conversation that is not interested in truth, but rather with who can swing an ad hominem stick the hardest. A theist could follow Dawkins' or Hitchen's petty behavior and launch an emotional attack on atheism as well, demanding that the world purge itself from atheism and secularism by bringing up some of the atrocities perpetrated by atheist or secular governments and leaders in the 20th Century alone (Pol Pot, Stalin, etc) or claim that atheism poisons everything, or that atheists are inherently deluded. Such petty name-calling is waste of time on either side.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1846 on: April 18, 2012, 08:33:45 PM »
In honor of Poetry month, I'm going to attempt. Paradise Lost by John Milton

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1847 on: April 19, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »

I'm blindly following the herd and reading The Hunger Games

Next up: The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America

Good book.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1848 on: April 21, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
It's 3am, I just finished A Clash of Kings and... I NEED MORE!!! Starting A Storm of Swords now!!
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #1849 on: April 21, 2012, 05:06:53 AM »

I'm wondering whether it's a taste of a work yet to come....  There's obviously room for development like you say.

I don't know if any of you guys have seen this; it's a Sam Harris lecture that pretty much follows the book.  It's a bit of an epic - I've got about halfway through - hopefully going to watch the other half this week.  Apologies if it's old news!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCofmZlC72g

I haven't read End Of Faith yet, but I thought Letter To A Christian Nation was pretty bloody good.  He has quite an ability with economy of words!

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1850 on: April 21, 2012, 11:27:12 AM »
Last week I read Sherlock Holmes; hound of the baskervilles and Animal farm (read it before). Now rereading 1984 and then on to something new. Either another Holmes novel or something heftier. Still have War and Peace lying around..

Offline Odysseus

« Reply #1851 on: April 22, 2012, 04:36:34 AM »
Just finished Half Life by Roopa Farooki and started Climbing The Mango Trees by Madhur Jaffrey.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1852 on: April 22, 2012, 04:58:33 AM »
Hitchens and Dawkins seem pretty militant about their atheism as well.

I'd say there is a difference between feeling very passionate about an idea and being a militant.
That's probably what Harris would say, too.  It's all a matter of where on the firing range you fall.  It's all perspective.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1853 on: April 22, 2012, 09:07:42 AM »
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I was recently in the UK and bought about 20 books.  :biggrin:
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1854 on: April 22, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. I was recently in the UK and bought about 20 books.  :biggrin:

Were you able to get some of the Silverberg titles I suggested?