Author Topic: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread  (Read 271701 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread
« Reply #1750 on: March 27, 2012, 08:18:41 PM »
Just starting the Clash of Kings by George R.R. Martin. Looking forward to the second season on HBO
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1751 on: March 28, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »
Got to say after reading V for Vendetta, why didn't they make the movie more like the book? I think it'd have been just as good

Anyway, now reading I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert

Offline Omega

« Reply #1752 on: March 28, 2012, 02:33:25 PM »
Anyway, now reading I Am America (And So Can You!) by Stephen Colbert

How's that? Typical Colbert super-funny-ness?
ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1753 on: March 28, 2012, 07:14:52 PM »
Yep, pretty much

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #1754 on: March 29, 2012, 03:40:52 PM »
Why Evolution Is True by Jerry A. Coyne
Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1755 on: March 29, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »
Debt of Bones by Terry Goodkind. Haven't read a long fantasy series in a while and I wanted to give The Sword of Truth a try

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1756 on: March 29, 2012, 05:37:20 PM »
Finished The Hunger Games a few days ago, looking forward to the movie. I've now moved on to book #2, Catching Fire.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1757 on: March 29, 2012, 06:59:08 PM »
Finished The Hunger Games a few days ago, looking forward to the movie. I've now moved on to book #2, Catching Fire.

You should be forewarned. The quality of the books decrease exponentially the further you get.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1758 on: March 29, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
I can only hope you're wrong. Though I enjoyed the first book I wasn't blown away by it.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1759 on: March 29, 2012, 07:48:28 PM »
I'd say book 2 is at least on par with the first one. last one, not so much

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1760 on: March 30, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1761 on: March 30, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »
Just read Chindi by Jack McDewitt. Excellent scifi overall, though the ending was a tad disappointing. Definitely gonna read the sequel when I get the chance.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1762 on: March 30, 2012, 07:55:19 PM »
Nick. You need to stop doing what I'm doing. I just finished The Hunger Games and am now on book 2.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1763 on: March 30, 2012, 09:24:22 PM »
Nick. You need to stop doing what I'm doing. I just finished The Hunger Games and am now on book 2.

I didn't know The Hunger Games was written by Christopher Hitchens.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1764 on: March 30, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
Tee fuckin hee. I read other shit. I just don't enjoy it as much.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1765 on: March 30, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »
:lol
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1766 on: April 01, 2012, 12:20:13 PM »
Killed the second book of the Hunger Games in about 26 hours. I'll start the third tonight. Probably.

The second was better than the first. I'd give the first about a C, and the second a C+.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1767 on: April 01, 2012, 11:37:21 PM »
Major analytic philosopher?
Philosophy doesn't have to be about uncovering hidden truths that no one has ever thought of before. It can just as easily be about backing up a few simple (and obvious) premises.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1768 on: April 01, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
Ivanhoe is pretty cool so far. Slow at times, and I swear 30 of the 90 pages I've read are descriptions of the characters' clothing. But it's getting better with each chapter.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1769 on: April 02, 2012, 10:31:04 AM »
Philosophy doesn't have to be about uncovering hidden truths that no one has ever thought of before. It can just as easily be about backing up a few simple (and obvious) premises.

It's not even that. I just find the adjective "major" kind of funny, considering if he had never gotten into apologetics, he wouldn't be famous. There are many better and more "major" philosophers out there.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1770 on: April 02, 2012, 12:42:50 PM »

It's not even that. I just find the adjective "major" kind of funny, considering if he had never gotten into apologetics, he wouldn't be famous. There are many better and more "major" philosophers out there.

I'm taking a Philosophy of Religion class and Craig's stuff takes up a chunk of pages in the Cosmological Argument section. To be mentioned in an upper-division intro to philosophy of religion course at a major secular university says something about his standing. Specifically, his work The Cosmological Argument from Plato to Leibniz (1980) is very well-respected by philosophers.

And yeah, there are more well-known philosophers out there, like Alvin Platinga. To say that these other philosophers are "better"....well, I don't know if you can do that. First, it makes no sense to say Platinga is "better" than Craig, because they both focus on completely different arguments. At what Craig does (the KCA), he does it the best. No one presents that specific argument better than he. Second, an argument is independent of the person making it, so it doesn't really make sense to compare the philosophers themselves unless you are completely focused on the arguments that they make. Going off that point, it needs to be said that popularity does not make a good philosopher. I'm sure you'd agree that Richard Dawkins makes terrible arguments and refutations to defend atheism - yet he's the most popular atheist around.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #1771 on: April 02, 2012, 12:49:49 PM »
Finally got my replacement Kindle (stupid Amazon.co.uk not shipping to america).

TIME TO BOOK IT UP
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #1772 on: April 02, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
Finished reading The Voynich Cypher last week; kind of an "inspired-by-and-bite-off The Da Vinci Code" story but it's well-written, albeit a little stilted. Entertaining, though.
Just started reading Encrypted by Carolyn McCray; not far enough into it to form an opinion, yet.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline WDADU

• Are you justified?
« Reply #1773 on: April 02, 2012, 01:34:09 PM »
I finished Wishin' And Hopin' by Wally Lamb the day before yesterday and yesterday I started Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. So far, it's fucking awesome. Very eerie and great characterization.
Brave
Murder
Day

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1774 on: April 02, 2012, 02:08:05 PM »
Actually H, I would disagree that Craig's KCA is done better than anyone else's considering A) It's not even his own argument (the word Kalam should give it away there) and B) I've heard the exact same thing said by more than one Christian apologist. It's what they turn to and whether it's Craig or Dsouzah (too lazy to spell check) or the teacher of my friend's apologetics class, it will be said word for word.

As for "arguments for atheism," I'd state that one can't argue "for atheism" but merely "against religion" and with that, Dawkins does just fine. Hitchens trumps all, but in terms of science and how it relates to a possible intelligent designer, Dawkins can hold his own.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1775 on: April 02, 2012, 02:10:47 PM »
Oh, and because I'm predicting the "just because it isn't his argument and others use it doesn't mean he isn't the best" counter, I'd say Aquinas used the cosmological argument centuries before Craig was even thought of.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1776 on: April 02, 2012, 02:19:01 PM »
Oh, and H, I got a book out from the library today. It's called Unearthing the Bible. It's about archaeological digs around the middle east and how they (kinda don't) correspond to the OT. Thought it would be cool because I could learn about the stories from the OT and the archaeology of the areas as well.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1777 on: April 02, 2012, 04:18:49 PM »
Craig did get a lot from the Kalam, but he definitely adds more defense to the premises, especially when it comes to the scientific evidence for the beginning of the universe.

Unearthing the Bible...hmmm, that's interesting. We have pretty good archaeological evidence for NT stuff, less for OT stuff. Should be an interesting read for you, but I wouldn't neglect reading both sides, as there definitely exists evidence that supports the OT.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1778 on: April 02, 2012, 04:19:33 PM »
Oh yeah, and there are arguments for atheism. 1) Problem of evil. 2) Divine attributes. Those are the two that I know.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1779 on: April 02, 2012, 04:26:40 PM »
Random stories out of an Edgar Allan Poe collection. Just read The Masque of the Red Death for about the 3rd time and will probably read The Colloquy of Monos and Una later.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1780 on: April 02, 2012, 04:48:33 PM »
Just finished the 2nd book of The Hunger Games series. Going to start the 3rd this week.

Offline Omega

« Reply #1781 on: April 02, 2012, 05:29:35 PM »
As for "arguments for atheism," I'd state that one can't argue "for atheism" but merely "against religion" and with that, Dawkins does just fine. Hitchens trumps all, but in terms of science and how it relates to a possible intelligent designer, Dawkins can hold his own.

So let's say for the sake of the argument that religion just "sucks" and is the "source of all evil" in the world (while ignoring the blatant inconsistency with postmodern relativism regarding the use of the word "evil").

Does that make God's existence any less viable?

The answer should be pretty clear: not at all. Religion, just like science, or education, or math -- etc -- is morally neutral. It can be used for good or used for bad. Regardless, you cannot judge the truth of a worldview by its social impact.

And regarding Dawkins' "argument," it really is quite interesting how atheists have deluded themselves to believe that it is any bit a "good" argument against the existence of God. His "argument" is not even logically coherent and serves only to demonstrate just how in over his head he is in inviting the crippling criticism from philosophers by publishing such a petty and laughable book as The God Delusion. Here is his "argument":

P1.)  One of the greatest challenges to the human intellect, over the centuries, has been to explain how the complex, improbable appearance of design in the universe arises.

P2.) The natural temptation is to attribute the appearance of design to actual design itself. In the case of a man-made artefact such as a watch, the designer really was an intelligent engineer. It is tempting to apply the same logic to an eye or a wing, a spider or a person.

P3.) The temptation is a false one, because the designer hypothesis immediately raises the larger problem of who designed the designer. The whole problem we started out with was the problem of explaining statistical improbability. It is obviously no solution to postulate something even more improbable. We need a "crane," not a "skyhook;" for only a crane can do the business of working up gradually and plausibly from simplicity to otherwise improbable complexity.

P4.) The most ingenious and powerful crane so far discovered is Darwinian evolution by natural selection. Darwin and his successors have shown how living creatures, with their spectacular statistical improbability and appearance of design, have evolved by slow, gradual degrees from simple beginnings. We can now safely say that the illusion of design in living creatures is just that – an illusion.

P5.) We don't yet have an equivalent crane for physics. Some kind of multiverse theory could in principle do for physics the same explanatory work as Darwinism does for biology. This kind of explanation is superficially less satisfying than the biological version of Darwinism, because it makes heavier demands on luck. But the anthropic principle entitles us to postulate far more luck than our limited human intuition is comfortable with.

P6.) We should not give up hope of a better crane arising in physics, something as powerful as Darwinism is for biology. But even in the absence of a strongly satisfying crane to match the biological one, the relatively weak cranes we have at present are, when abetted by the anthropic principle, self-evidently better than the self-defeating skyhook hypothesis of an intelligent designer.

C.) Therefore, God almost certainly does not exist.

See, the overwhelming facetiousness of this argument is that even if we were to grant all the 6 premises as being true, the conclusion does not follow. One is left bewildered as to wonder just how it is that so many atheists, although proclaiming themselves as the "reasonable" or "rational" or "bright" ones, have come to support Dawkins' The God Delusion so fervently and to bring themselves to buy it by the bushel...

As Craig quite fittingly put it:

"Several years ago the atheist philosopher Quentin Smith unceremoniously crowned Stephen Hawking's argument against God in A Brief History of Time as 'the worst atheistic argument in the history of Western thought.' With the advent of The God Delusion the time has come, I think, to relieve Hawking of this weighty crown and to recognize Richard Dawkins' accession to the throne."

ΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩΩ

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1782 on: April 02, 2012, 08:09:59 PM »
Omega, that is summing up Dawkins's book in a little snippet. I know he even does it, but it does him a great disservice. The book at length actually makes sense, although you've probably read it and consider it tripe.

It should also be noted that you will never see eye to eye with an atheist. So, I find it very funny that Craig would state that Hawking's defense of atheism was bad and that Dawkins's defense of atheism is worse considering, to Craig, there is no good defense of atheism.

Oh, and as for you question about evil...

No, the fact that religious people, as a massive whole, suck doesn't make God's existence any less probable. What does, however, are recent (last century) findings in history, philosophy, science, etc. that negate most of the biblical God.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1783 on: April 02, 2012, 08:12:43 PM »
Just cause I can sense the ban hammer possibility in my last post and I can't edit it...when I say religious people, as a massive whole, suck, I mean that religion, as a whole, would be better off not existing.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1784 on: April 02, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »
Oh, Omega, I just read over your post, and I must say, saying religion is morally neutral is off, considering it calls for, in some cases, murder, rape, slavery, misogyny, etc.

Atheism, as a "doctrine" never calls for any one those, mind you.