Author Topic: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread  (Read 265854 times)

Offline TheVoxyn

• "The X makes it sound cool"
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The "What Are You Currently Reading?" Thread
« Reply #140 on: July 12, 2009, 07:58:47 PM »
I want to read the bible someday as well. I have read some bits, but never the whole thing. I want to read it not because I believe in God/Jezus or because I think there are good idea's in it - but because it's been such an important book in the history of mankind.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2009, 10:05:41 PM »
I want to read the bible someday as well. I have read some bits, but never the whole thing. I want to read it not because I believe in God/Jesus or because I think there are good idea's in it - but because it's been such an important book in the history of mankind.
Please.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #142 on: July 12, 2009, 10:44:44 PM »
I want to read the bible someday as well. I have read some bits, but never the whole thing. I want to read it not because I believe in God/Jesus or because I think there are good idea's in it - but because it's been such an important book in the history of mankind.
Please.

If you're being sarcastic, then I don't get it...  The Bible probably has been more important than any other book in the history of mankind, and I'm not Christian...  ;)

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2009, 06:06:44 AM »
Please.
Hmm?

Offline Dunns Beard

« Reply #144 on: July 13, 2009, 06:35:48 AM »
Currently, the "What are you currently reading" thread.  Bookwise, I reread "The Long Halloween" again, because that book is awesome, to take a break from my Dark Tower obsession.  Currently on Wolves of the Calla.

Cool. I've got Wolves out of the library to read next. Been nearly a year since reading the last one so I'm excited about getting back into it again. Currently reading the Richard Strauss biography by Michael Kennedy which is a great read for an obsessive fan like me.
"Pay no attention to what the critics say. A statue has never been erected in honour of a critic."

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #145 on: July 13, 2009, 07:44:06 AM »
I'm about twenty pages from finishing Slash's biography. A really good read and it's really detailed from his early years up until he quit Guns N' Roses. After that, it's kinda boring. He skips a lot of things and doesn't go into as much detail.

But nevertheless, great read. Any fan of Guns should read it.  :tup
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Online lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #146 on: July 13, 2009, 07:48:49 AM »
I want to read the bible someday as well. I have read some bits, but never the whole thing. I want to read it not because I believe in God/Jezus or because I think there are good idea's in it - but because it's been such an important book in the history of mankind.
This is exactly what I am doing right now. Reading the Bible straight through hopefully in 90 days. I'm currently in Psalms. It's been interesting (and boring at times). Kings and Chronicles are definitely skimmers for the most part.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #147 on: July 13, 2009, 08:04:04 AM »
Please.
If you're being sarcastic, then I don't get it...  The Bible probably has been more important than any other book in the history of mankind, and I'm not Christian...  ;)
No. He wrote "Jezus". I renamed it to "Jesus".

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #148 on: July 13, 2009, 08:19:42 AM »
Please.

Woah, I completely missed that! :lol

But I am also reading the bible from a scholarly perspective. I think to fundamentally understand Judaism and Christianity I should have a better first hand knowledge of the book. I had tried reading the normal translations of it, and only got through 6-7 books, I'm hoping the modern English translation will allow me to get farther.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #149 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:26 PM »
Please.

Ah, I got it...

That's actually probably something I would do...  :biggrin:

Offline TheVoxyn

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:03 PM »
Please.
I missed that as well :p. It's Jezus over here, my bad.

Offline ZachyDou

• Keyboard wizard in training
  • "Haha... Yeah..."
« Reply #151 on: July 13, 2009, 01:43:57 PM »
I just finished reading a book called The House of the Scorpion, and i read it all in one day

it's a little childish, but the story is actualy surprisingly deep, and very satisfying
its probably the best book ive read in a very long time

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #152 on: July 13, 2009, 02:52:27 PM »
I just finished reading a book called The House of the Scorpion, and i read it all in one day

it's a little childish, but the story is actualy surprisingly deep, and very satisfying
its probably the best book ive read in a very long time
This. Though I read this back in 8th grade, I still consider one of my favourite books. It has such a cool story to it and progresses really nicely as the story continues to unfold.  :tup

At the moment, I just began reading No One Here Gets Out Alive. So far, even with only being 20 something pages into the book, I'm really enjoying this. I've always been interested in Jim Morrison's history, and this book seems to give a good feel of what he was like.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #153 on: July 13, 2009, 02:54:00 PM »
Please.
I missed that as well :p. It's Jezus over here, my bad.
That's what really made me hesitate about posting that :lol

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2009, 10:31:20 PM »
Just finished up V for Vendetta and I'm about a quarter of the way through The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Next in the queue:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Boomsday - Christopher Buckley (also wrote Thank You For Smoking)
Less Than Zero - Brett Ellis (American Psycho)

Also went to a used book superstore and picked up these (all either new or almost new):

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams
The Long Dark Tea-time Of The Soul - Douglas Adams
Heir To The Empire - Timothy Zahn
The Last Command - Timothy Zahn
Dune - Frank Herbert
The Andromeda Strain -Michael Crichton
American Gangster - Mark Jacobson
Affliction - Russell Banks
Lord Of The Flies - William Golding

Needless to say I'm stocked up for awhile.

Offline ceight

« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2009, 10:41:31 PM »
Just finished up V for Vendetta and I'm about a quarter of the way through The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

Next in the queue:

Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury
Boomsday - Christopher Buckley (also wrote Thank You For Smoking)
Less Than Zero - Brett Ellis (American Psycho)

Also went to a used book superstore and picked up these (all either new or almost new):

Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency - Douglas Adams
The Long Dark Tea-time Of The Soul - Douglas Adams
Heir To The Empire - Timothy Zahn
The Last Command - Timothy Zahn
Dune - Frank Herbert
The Andromeda Strain -Michael Crichton
American Gangster - Mark Jacobson
Affliction - Russell Banks
Lord Of The Flies - William Golding

Needless to say I'm stocked up for awhile.

What is the ULTIMATE Hitchhiker's Guide??

And, I remember not being a big fan of Fahrenheit 451.

I'm reading We The Living by Ayn Rand again.
I need to live life like some people never will, so find me kindness, find me beauty, find me truth.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2009, 10:42:26 PM »
Just finished Meltdown by Tom Woods. Good book.

Currently reading: Dead Aid: Why aid is not working and how there is a better way for Africa - Dambisa Moyo

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2009, 10:49:55 PM »
What is the ULTIMATE Hitchhiker's Guide??

The omnibus. It's got all 5 books in the series plus a short story all packed into an 800 someodd page book.

Offline Ouda

• Executive supervisor of FUNK
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2009, 02:55:24 AM »
Just Reread pretty much every book Kurt Vonnegut ever wrote in the past month. His books blow my mind. He even gave a surprisingly simple, awesome, intriguing, genius, true, meaning of life in his book "The Sirens of titan".

I recommend this guy over ANYTHING else.

He has a unique style, creative ideas, comical at times, a tad science fictiony, and has a great understanding of the human mind and thinking.

If you're interested, Read "The Sirens of Titan", "Cat's Cradle", "Slaughter House Five".

WARNING. It is different, weird, and out there, and it might be your cup of tea, but in my opinion, the best reads of all time.

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2009, 03:05:15 AM »
Ghost Rider by Neil Peart

It's okay.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »
Just finished Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy. Amazing, though you can tell his interest in the series waned as it goes on. Restaurant At The End Of The Universe is probably my favorite.

In the middle of Fahrenheit 451 right now.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:26 PM »
Good job on the Dune pickup! :D

In other news my reading over the past month has been pretty nonexistent, I would like to fix that.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2009, 03:06:29 PM »
I might do Dune after whatever I read after Fahrenheit. I'm trying to alternate between serious reading and lighter reading.

Offline The Noob

• The DTF Noob, but NOT a DT Noob
  • The Comfy Chair?
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2009, 08:48:48 PM »
"Gravity's Rainbow" - Thomas Pynchon

Probably one of the dullest books I've ever read so far (I'm about 70 pages in right now).
Yeah, well I wish Windows 7 would suck my dick and give me a dinosaur, but that's not going to happen either.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #164 on: August 10, 2009, 09:36:05 PM »
Hubert Selby Jr.'s Last Exit to Brooklyn. Amazing. He does the whole stream of consciousness little punctuation thing so well. Very powerful stuff. Sad. Actually produces a physical response sometimes (like I get nauseous from reading) which is rare. I highly recommend it. I still have to read Requiem for a Dream and his other stuff.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2009, 06:59:40 AM »
Clive Cussler's  - Plague Ship
(guilty pleasure)
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2009, 10:53:11 AM »
Just finished Fahrenheit 451. What a damn good read. Moving on to Boomsday.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #167 on: August 13, 2009, 03:08:05 PM »
Right now I've been reading through the Twilight series, I'm ~150 pages through the third book.

It's not atrocious, and even enoyable at parts, though I can't see myself reading it again, which says a lot IMO.

The biggest problem I have (and this is a pretty damn big problem) is that I can't see any real basis for Bella and Edward's relationship. Edward's really hot, and apparently Bella smells really good to Edward, and they constantly say they love each other, but that's basically the extent of it. I see nothing between the two characters that resembles anything close to an emotional foundation for their love. Because they're relationship is basically the driving force of the entire story, it's hard to get into it.

Besides that, its at least mildly entertaining. There's no real depth to it, and I don't find myself caring a whole lot about the characters, but it's at least interesting enough for me to finish it. But, like I said, I can't see myself reading it again.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #168 on: August 13, 2009, 03:38:38 PM »
Harlan Ellison- Ellison Wonderland
For anybody who enjoys the fine art of the short story, Ellison is on of the masters.

Offline Isolde

« Reply #169 on: August 13, 2009, 04:29:47 PM »
Street Gang - the history of sesame street and the muppets!

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »
Just finished Fahrenheit 451. What a damn good read.
If you want more Bradbury try The Martian Chronicles.

I am reading From a Buick 8 by Stephen King. Found it at a used book sale and it's been sitting on my To Read Shelf for a while, so I was like, "I'm gonna read that!" It'll probably be my last King book until Under The Dome comes out. OVER 1000 pages!! Woooo!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2009, 06:13:23 PM »
Another good Bradbury novel is "Dandelion Wine."  I've noticed a lot of Vonnegut post, and for those people I recommend one I read a while ago called "Venus on the Half Shell." It's written under the pseudonym of Kilgore Trout(fans should recognize this) by (I think) Phillip Jose Farmer, and is a hysterical satire on the sci fi genre.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2009, 06:15:07 PM »
Just finished Fahrenheit 451. What a damn good read. Moving on to Boomsday.

Just finished that myself... twas good.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2009, 07:57:49 PM »
Finished Boomsday. I loved the satire style and I'll probably be picking up more of his stuff.

Moving on to Less Than Zero.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2009, 11:22:16 AM »
Finished Less Than Zero. A really quick read but disturbing as hell. I might have to check out American Psycho.

On to something a lot lighter with the first book in the Bone comics.