Poll

Which do you like more?

A Change of Seasons
113 (56.2%)
Octavarium
88 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Author Topic: A Change of Seasons (vs) Octavarium: Explain your choice.  (Read 9255 times)

Offline lumpy33

Re: A Change of Seasons (vs) Octavarium: Explain your choice.
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2011, 05:58:58 PM »
ACOS.  i saw them perform it live on a small outdoor stage at some summer festival in upstate ny somewhere around '93ish i think.  nobody knew what to think when they were finished playing it.  my friend and i were blown away but there was only a smattering of applause from the crowd, and james got pissed.  he said something like, "come on, people - we just played our asses off for 20 minutes.  let me fucking hear it!" 
8V just doesn't seem as epic.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2011, 07:55:23 PM »
ACOS is the best song I've ever heard. It is a beautiful musical journey with highs and lows, like a roller coaster. To think that one song could convey so much emotion is beyond incredible. The first day that i seized the day, I bought the song I listened to it about 20 times. I almost cried, shouted, jumped, smiled, and frowned all within the song. It transported me to another world. For me, I know it will never get old. I'm not sure if there is anything close to this special to me. Octavarium is a top 7/8 song. Great/awesome whatever... Still can't touch ACOS.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline 7thHanyou

« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2011, 09:02:57 PM »
I'm picking a Change of Seasons, not because I enjoy listening to it more (I don't), but because it stands out to me as more of a Dream Theater epic, and a bit more well-crafted.

The thing about Octavarium is the music is brilliant, but it's quite obviously derivative.  It's designed this way, and I wouldn't change much about it; I love every moment of it!  But by wearing its influences on its sleeve, I think it's a bit lacking in individual identity.  Another "problem" is the lyrics.  They're not bad, but they're certainly not an emotional tour de force.  They're just sort of there.  That segment toward the end that's a series of homages to other bands and musicians is cool, but I also feel like it's a flaw.  As awesome as it is to hear a Spock's Beard album namedropped in a Dream Theater song, I would rather have seen something else.

The payoff is amazing, and it's hard to complain about the song, but when compared with their other epics, I think it just falls a bit short in both distinctness and emotion.

A Change of Seasons is quite different.  There's the obvious: in contrast to Octavarium's bright sound, it's dark and dreary most of the way through.  It's much harder-hitting, and also much, much more personal.  This is the most important distinction.  Octavarium tells five different stories from a fairly resigned point of view; there are nods and winks at the listener throughout and little personal investment.  A Change of Seasons betrays so much vulnerability that it can be a crippling experience if you really invest yourself in it.  Lyrically, these types of songs are often the best, and this one stands with Kansas' The Pinnacle thematically.  It's just that powerful.

I prefer to listen to Octavarium.  I think A Change of Seasons is better.  There's really nothing I can add to that.

Offline j

« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2011, 12:21:47 AM »
ACoS by a fair margin.

Octavarium is a good song.  Quite a bit overrated on these boards, but it's definitely a top 10 or 15 DT song.  Still, I can understand why so many people consider it DT's magnum opus, and it has to at least be in the discussion.  My one major disagreement is with regard to the Razor's Edge solo: it's okay, but it's not very innovative or emotive at all IMO, and it's not anywhere near a top Petrucci solo.  Both ACoS solos are much better, for that matter.

ACoS has a weird transition or two, but the music is incredible and I don't really have the time or desire to try to explain all the reasons why.  But I will say that as much as I like his drumming, I think the lyrics of ACoS were Mike Portnoy's single greatest contribution to the band.

-J

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2011, 12:46:07 AM »
A Change of Seasons by far, for many reasons:

-  it flows better, musically
-  I like the mix and sound a lot more
-  it has an atmosphere that really gives you the feeling of "seasons changing"
-  the concept of the song is more interesting
-  the lyrics are better written

These are just my opinion. 

added..

-  oh yeah, and Change of Seasons doesn't have that pointless keyboard solo (like Octavarium) that goes on..... and on..... and on.... and on......
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:29:50 AM by SnakeEyes »
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2011, 01:07:45 AM »
ACOS, because I think that every second of it fills a purpose. Compared to Octavarium, that I think have an unnessecary long intro. Feels almost like it's added to make the song lengthy.

Offline energythief

• Chubby Chaser
« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2011, 01:25:13 AM »
ACOS. I really don't think Octavarium is that great.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2011, 01:28:18 AM »
ACOS, because I think that every second of it fills a purpose. Compared to Octavarium, that I think have an unnessecary long intro. Feels almost like it's added to make the song lengthy.

Yeah, that keyboard solo in the beginning is awful.  That solo, alone, makes Change of Seasons better.  I don't understand the significance of that part at all.  It serves no purpose..... it's like, "OK, can get please get on with the SONG now?"
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: October 12, 2011, 05:38:27 AM »
Octavarium for me.  Just so many little intricate pieces stitched together brilliantly.  Agreed, it doesn't "flow" perfectly, but that's part of what I like about it.  Love how it builds up to an epic climax with the guitar solo.  Within DT's entire song catalog, it has the best guitar solo, best keyboard solo, and best instrumental break.

It was close, ACoS has a ton of great moments, but 8vm by a small margin.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Neuth

« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2011, 05:54:32 AM »
Octavarium by quite a bit for me. I've listened to ACOS a quite a few times to try and "get" what everyone is loving about it, but it just sounds kind of average to me. One thing that always bugged me was the vocal melodies. I can't speak for the whole song, but a lot of the melodies seemed arbitrary to me, they just don't seem to go anywhere, and never really captured me. Octavarium on the other hand, is musical genius.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2011, 06:09:35 AM »
I think Octavarium flows better and is more epic. I think ACOS is more special and more true to the DT style.

I voted for Octavarium, but I'm glad ACOS wins this poll.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2011, 02:25:57 PM »
Their two best songs I think. To me A Change of Seasons is their progressive metal masterpiece and Octavarium is their progressive rock masterpiece. At the end of the day I give the edge to Octavarium.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2011, 09:08:46 PM »
Within DT's entire song catalog, it has the best guitar solo, best keyboard solo,

Just my opinion... but I don't think the razor's edge solo even deserves to be in the discussion for the best guitar solo. It is one of Petrucci's more emotional solos, but better than the extended hollow years solo L@B? Heck, while I'm at it, throw Lines in the Sand, ITNOG, TSCO, Another Day, Voices, Peruvian Skies, Scarred, UAGM, and Take the Time into this discussion as well.
Not trying to bash your opinion. Mine is just very different...

Also, as some others have said: i consider ACOS to be much stronger lyrically (my favorite MP lyrics of all).

Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Snow_Dog

• Wave after wave
« Reply #83 on: October 15, 2011, 01:57:19 AM »
ACoS easily. Maybe it's partly because it was one of the first songs I heard by them, but it's also much more than that. The whole carpe diem / seize the day thing means a lot more to me than 8VM's lyrics, and when "I sit down with my son, set to see the crimson sunset" comes on I STILL get goosebumps, regardless of how many times I've listened to it. Even when I was phasing out of DT after SC and BCaSL (not anymore), I still listened to that song enough. It's one of my favourite songs of all time.

Regardless, 8VM is still in my top 10 DT songs. The Score performance brought it to a whole new level of epic, and Razor's Edge is one of JP's most memorable solos.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: October 15, 2011, 02:07:47 AM »
I choose 8VM.  as much as I love ACoS, I feel that 8VM was a better written piece and overall better musicly. I absolutly love the idea behind the whole song . 8VM gives me more chills and goose bumps than ACoS is what it really all boils down too xD

Offline weezul

« Reply #85 on: October 15, 2011, 12:04:44 PM »
Octavarium for me. IT just sounds more pleasing to my ears. The chords and key changes and instrumentation and melodies and... ururghhghgmmm its just really realllly nice
https://www.liamgaughan.com
--Production--Performance--Tuition--

Offline Millais

« Reply #86 on: October 15, 2011, 02:08:40 PM »
Octavarium. - nuggetz

Offline Locke

« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2011, 02:24:19 PM »
Very difficult ... I voted Octavarium because I like how it has such a buildup. Both do, but I definitely feel it more in Octavarium. Lyric-wise ... I don't mind both. though the random name / word thing in Octavarium still throws me off sometimes.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
"A Change Of Season" comes off as a very well thought out piece that flows organically and clearly the bi-product of a band in their prime constantly tweaking their work, seeing what works and what doesn't work. Even though some sections contrast with each other they still sound like pieces of a same puzzle and join together very well

"Octavarium" comes off as a clearly piecemeal work whose sections seem to only exist to prolong the song. Just the way the song builds and climaxes is so typical prog metal grandiose it can come across as sterile and unauthentic. Some of the sections are very fun, don't get me wrong, but as a whole it clearly comes across as being not necessarily a rush job but more of a "hey let's make another really long epic" and this is what they came up with in a few weeks. Once it was recorded they were done, no aging needed to see if the song really held up. They did get lucky but it does show how that same process doesn't quite work on later attempts at making long songs.

Offline Art

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2011, 06:59:50 PM »
A Change of Seasons over Octavarium every day, especially in the winter when the right mood is set, to me it feels like a winter song, but that is not relevant. I think A Change of Seasons is better than Octavarium on every level, the lyrics is far better, the text is really emotional, the instrumental is better, And it have one of my favourite part of music ever. The Crimson Sunset.

That.

ACOS is amazing. *.*

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #90 on: October 16, 2011, 11:59:41 AM »
I feel that 8VM is a more cohesive track.  ACOS has a lot of good parts but is clunky, with too many musical ideas that make no sense together.  The way 8VM is arranged makes it feel like it's supposed to be one long song.  Returning musical ideas, a slow build to a climactic ending, lyrics that can be looked at as telling a story... that's why I like 8VM better.

Edit:  And how could I forget that keyboard solo after Medicate  :hefdaddy
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #91 on: October 16, 2011, 12:08:26 PM »
"A Change Of Season" comes off as a very well thought out piece that flows organically and clearly the bi-product of a band in their prime constantly tweaking their work, seeing what works and what doesn't work. Even though some sections contrast with each other they still sound like pieces of a same puzzle and join together very well

"Octavarium" comes off as a clearly piecemeal work whose sections seem to only exist to prolong the song. Just the way the song builds and climaxes is so typical prog metal grandiose it can come across as sterile and unauthentic. Some of the sections are very fun, don't get me wrong, but as a whole it clearly comes across as being not necessarily a rush job but more of a "hey let's make another really long epic" and this is what they came up with in a few weeks. Once it was recorded they were done, no aging needed to see if the song really held up. They did get lucky but it does show how that same process doesn't quite work on later attempts at making long songs.

:clap::clap:

:hefdaddy

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: October 16, 2011, 12:19:54 PM »
And how could I forget that keyboard solo after Medicate  :hefdaddy

Speaking of this, could someone tell me which section this keyboard solo actually belongs to?  Is it meant to be the end of Medicate or the beginning of Full Circle? 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline carl320

• The Knight of Cups
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #93 on: October 16, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »
I think it's technically a part of Full Circle but am not certain.
In high school my buddies and I built a Van Der Graaf generator.  You know, to get girls.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2011, 09:37:16 PM »

Speaking of this, could someone tell me which section this keyboard solo actually belongs to?  Is it meant to be the end of Medicate or the beginning of Full Circle? 

I'm not sure if there's an official word on this, put I consider it part of Full Circle, since it starts a new section that continues smoothly into Full Circle.
But that's just my own opinion on the matter.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2011, 10:18:59 PM »

I'm not sure if there's an official word on this, put I consider it part of Full Circle, since it starts a new section that continues smoothly into Full Circle.
But that's just my own opinion on the matter.
That's how I categorize it too. I don't believe any official timestamps have been released.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2011, 11:29:15 PM »

It's technically the end of Medicate, even though I think most people here would consider it part of Full Circle.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2011, 11:56:34 PM »
Any evidence?  Not trying to argue, just curious because the three before you all said Full Circle. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2011, 12:13:44 AM »

Ive never thought about it once and really dont care in the least....lol not to sound like an ass, it sounds worse when typed.

Offline Neuth

« Reply #99 on: October 17, 2011, 06:23:19 AM »
Any evidence?  Not trying to argue, just curious because the three before you all said Full Circle.
The only evidence I can think of is in Jordan Rudess' "Dream Theater Keyboard Experience" book, which has the solo as a part of Medicate, and Full Circle starting at the end of it at 13:49. I'd say it's pretty strong evidence seeing as Jordan pretty much co-wrote the book, but like most everyone is saying, it does feel like the start of a new section.

Offline JustinVK

« Reply #100 on: October 17, 2011, 06:53:19 AM »
A Change of Seasons is structured perfectly and the concept of the song is displayed through every instrument so perfectly where as Octavarium is a bundle of influences and synth that although sounds great, just doesn't compare to A Change of Seasons.
Life will not always be this way
Look around
Hear the sounds
Cherish your life while you're still around

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #101 on: October 17, 2011, 08:36:58 AM »
7. Octavarium
3. A Change of Seasons
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: October 17, 2011, 09:12:45 AM »
The only evidence I can think of is in Jordan Rudess' "Dream Theater Keyboard Experience" book, which has the solo as a part of Medicate, and Full Circle starting at the end of it at 13:49.

Oh, alright.  Didn't know about that.  Thanks very much for bringing it up!
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #103 on: October 17, 2011, 04:11:55 PM »
ACOS.  I just think it's a better piece of music.  The JP solos are in the David Gilmore category of awesomeness.  Don't get me wrong though, 8VM is very well done also but ACOS edges it out by a few notches.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #104 on: October 17, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
Both are overrated songs.  I go with ACOS.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."