Poll

Which do you like more?

A Change of Seasons
113 (56.2%)
Octavarium
88 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 197

Author Topic: A Change of Seasons (vs) Octavarium: Explain your choice.  (Read 9256 times)

Offline serrano

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: A Change of Seasons (vs) Octavarium: Explain your choice.
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:27 AM »
I like both... ...but ACOS sounds rather bad. That snare kills me!  >:(
I don't hate Prater for I&W, but i really hate him for ACOS.

But only my personal opinion.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2011, 08:25:19 AM »
Octavarium is my favorite song. It's such a brilliantly executed concept, and the only DT epic that to me ever really sounded like a single song.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2011, 09:09:30 AM »
My vote was  for ACOS. If for no other reason than the Another World movement.

"Oh come let us adore him
Abuse and then ignore him
No matter what, don't let him be
Let's feed upon his misery
Then string him up for all the world to see"

Is just brilliant and the vocal delivery is chill inducing.

Oh, and I really love the live cover section! It always amazes me how JP can effortlessly imitate every other guitarists style and tone.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2011, 09:22:57 AM »
It's interesting to me how many people in this thread are saying the exact same thing, about different songs.  "I like song A better.  Song B is great, but it lacks some of the magic of song A.  Song A flows better, while song B feels more like a patched-together collection of unrelated musical ideas.  Both songs are great, but song A just reaches higher peaks than song B.  Song A takes me on more of a musical journey than song B."

Not saying there's anything wrong with these things - I agree with all of them, and for me song A is ACOS.  It's just interesting to me to watch different people saying these exact same things about both songs.  Just a fun illustration of how different people's opinions can be.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Gysten

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2011, 09:31:55 AM »
A Change of Seasons over Octavarium every day, especially in the winter when the right mood is set, to me it feels like a winter song, but that is not relevant. I think A Change of Seasons is better than Octavarium on every level, the lyrics is far better, the text is really emotional, the instrumental is better, And it have one of my favourite part of music ever. The Crimson Sunset.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 09:38:19 AM »
I went with 8V.
And I LOVE ACOS.

The way 8V builds throughout each part is great.  I mean both songs are top notch. 8V just has ALL that Dream Theater has to offer, I find it more dimensional than ACOS.
But like I said..I LOVE ACOS!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 09:39:53 AM »
ACOS. It's just way better. Perfection from start to finish. Octavarium is very good, but I always skip the intro.

Offline krands85

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 09:50:17 AM »
Octavarium for me. Both are phenomenal pieces of music and easily top 10 songs. There's just something that little bit extra special about Octavarium, though I couldn't really put my finger on what it is.

There's a lot of talk in other forums about the point at which you discovered Dream Theater influencing certain things, like your favourite album for example. This isn't normally relevant for me, since I&W is my favourite album, yet I didn't discover the band until 2005. But maybe it makes a difference with this poll, since Octavarium was the first album I heard by DT.

Another thing I've just thought of is the fact ACOS isn't on a proper album. 8VM is an epic album closer, tying in themes and ideas from the preceding songs, giving it that little bit extra sparkle for me.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
I prefer ACOS, because it feels magical and epic in scope & composition, not just in length.  I like 8VM a lot too, but it isn't as special as ACOS; it's just a 24-minute song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MK_Ultra

• The House Always Wins.
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 10:09:09 AM »
Octa, pretty easily. ACOS has never felt like one song (which seems to go against popular opinion?) while 8VM doesn't drag in any of its glorious 24 minutes. 8VM is so much more of a 'journey' for me, while ACOS sounds almost cobbled together, and ACOS' highs (I love you... goodbye) aren't anything like up there with Octavarium's (Medicate, the ~13 minute mark keyboard solo, the Full Circle verses and the whole of Intervals).

The first 3:48 of 8VM don't drag on but ACOS does :huh: Just curious as to what your criteria for "dragging on" is. Not nitpicking either, honestly curious.
I don't think I have any real 'criteria', I think it's entirely subjective. I guess I've never felt bored listening to 8VM, but I have with ACOS.  :-X

Offline lanemeyer

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 10:22:20 AM »
As has been discussed, 8V doesn't carry the emotional resonance that ACOS has due to it's lyrics. I find the "Full Circle" verses to be particularly annoying, both the lyrics and vocal melodies. 8V's intro is a little long, but I don't mind that too much. Backing vox by MP bring down the overall quality as well.... again, jmo.

ACOS, on the other hand, is pretty much flawless to me in all aspects.
Scientia fortitudo venit.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 10:35:44 AM »
ACOS wins by a mile.

ACOS is Dream Theater doing a classic, album side long progressive epic, cohesive and well put together with an understandable lyrical theme. 8VM is the band, at times almost shamelessly, plundering the past of progressive rock to make a song that seems to largely BE about progressive rock. If the song is actually ABOUT anything, I've not a clue. 8VM isn't a bad song, don't get me wrong, and it gets gloriously epic at the end, but all too often for me it turns into "spot which prog band they're sounding like now." ACOS sounds like Dream Theater so it gets the nod.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
I like ACOS more as I am a fan of more heavy DT sound, ACOS is just heavier than 8VM. But 8VM is a great, great musical journey, a song to remember :)

Offline Mr. Beale

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 11:45:40 AM »
Octavarium. ACOS has a lot of cool sections and probably better lyrics, but it usually feels overlong. I have a hard time staying engaged with later section a lot of the time. 8VM of course amazing and without those hangups for me.

Offline Jarzombek

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 11:46:44 AM »
A Change Of Seasons

The best song that DT have ever done.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
ACOS because it's actually a good song.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 02:40:50 PM »
It's interesting to me how many people in this thread are saying the exact same thing, about different songs.  "I like song A better.  Song B is great, but it lacks some of the magic of song A.  Song A flows better, while song B feels more like a patched-together collection of unrelated musical ideas.  Both songs are great, but song A just reaches higher peaks than song B.  Song A takes me on more of a musical journey than song B."

Not saying there's anything wrong with these things - I agree with all of them, and for me song A is ACOS.  It's just interesting to me to watch different people saying these exact same things about both songs.  Just a fun illustration of how different people's opinions can be.

I agree with all of this (including the vote for ACOS).  Both are great songs, each masterpieces in their own way, and obviously different people find different things that resonate with them, for various reasons.

Offline manticore999

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 03:25:14 PM »
Can't vote - I really don't care for either song.

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »
Can't vote - I really don't care for either song.
:|

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake

Offline Cranky

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2011, 04:06:14 PM »
For me, song A is Octavarium, and song B is A Change of Seasons.
from Jaffa's comparison, of course.

To me, Octavarium is so special to me, it is my favourite song of ALL time, for many reasons.
The lyrics are some of Dream Theater's best... They are so simple, but so whimsical and, just well put.
The music is just... Incredible. It flows from part to part seamlessly. There isn't a part that should be there, which is a common problem Dream Theater has with their longer songs.

The only problem I have really, is the intro is a little too long for some listens.. If I am not in the mood to just chill out, you know?
Otherwise, I enjoy it just as much as the rest of the song.. It really builds the suspense.

A Change of Seasons... Noooow, don't get me wrong, this was one of my all time favourites when I first found out about Dream Theater.
I love the intro, it got me hooked.. But, wait... There was something that came after it... Some sort of section that repeated way too many times and just ruined the feel for me. (The part with the distorted organ)
I will say that, whenever the vocals are present, it's one of the highest points in Dream Theater history. The vocals AND lyrics, I should say.
But, save the guitar solo section, the instrumentals are just incoherent and feel patched together. Like, literally, they feel like different parts patched together. And, that detracts a lot from me.

With that being said, If A Change of Seasons was cut down in time, I would enjoy it a lot more.

Hmm.. Maybe some sort of rating is in order.
A Change of Seasons 7.9/10 (It would be more if some of the instrumentals were cut down)
Octavarium 9.8/10

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
For me ACOS is the best piece of work.... by ANY band.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2011, 09:29:31 PM »
8VM

I just like it better. I like the various parts better than anything in aCoS and the last half is pretty much perfection.

aCoS has much, much better lyrics and it flows better as a single song, but still, 8VM is just great.

Offline reza_122

« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2011, 09:41:12 PM »
I love ACOS very much,
bcoz it has a beautiful and poetic lyric,
it has great 'music harmonization' in 23 minutes song
very nice song .....

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #59 on: October 10, 2011, 11:10:57 PM »
Went with ACOS, but it's awfully close. I hovered over the poll options for quite awhile, abandoned making a decision all day, and just now came back to it.

ACOS has a more cohesive epic feel, like Rush's "Hemispheres", Yes' "Close To The Edge" or Genesis' "Supper's Ready", while 8VM is a bit more disjointed and pieced together. Heck, TCOT feels more cohesive than 8VM does at times.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely *love* "Octavarium", and being the title epic of the first-new album they released after I became a fan, it holds a special place in my heart, but as the years have gone by, the intro has grown to be a bit long for me, and the lyrics have lost some of their novelty, but it IS fun to sing along to (especially "III. Full Circle" and "IV. Intervals").

ACOS is just totally epic to me, and it's non-stop awesome.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 06:54:32 AM »
Still waiting for MP to post his choice and explanation . . .

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 06:58:41 AM »
Why do you expect MP to spend his free time coming here to talk about a band he's no longer a part of?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »
Why do you expect MP to spend his free time coming here to talk about a band he's no longer a part of?

If a man gets divorced, regardless of his relationship with his ex-wife (or ex-wives ;)), does he have to stop talking about his baby? :P :biggrin:

Offline Cranky

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 02:34:06 PM »

If a man gets divorced, regardless of his relationship with his ex-wife (or ex-wives ;)), does he have to stop talking about his baby? :P :biggrin:

Well played, sir... Well played...  :hat

Offline theseoafs

« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 03:20:00 PM »

He shouldn't join the forum devoted to his ex-wife, if that's what you're asking.

Offline jsem

« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2011, 05:02:05 PM »

:clap:

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2011, 05:09:33 PM »
Both top 10 songs for me but ACoS easily wins. The Full Circle section in Octavarium I've learned to deal with but it doesn't do anything for me. I can connect more emotionally with ACoS, flows better though I listen to Octavarium much more.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2011, 05:17:44 PM »
ACoS always feels like it has several spots it could/should have ended but instead keeps going.

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2011, 05:20:53 PM »
ACoS. It's better.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2011, 05:49:00 PM »
ACoS always feels like it has several spots it could/should have ended but instead keeps going.

Curious where that is in ACOS but not in 8V?