Author Topic: Evanescence Thread  (Read 12907 times)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
Re: Evanescence Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 12, 2017, 08:12:26 AM »
Evanescence honestly was over once Ben Moody left. Yes, Amy Lee was/is the beautiful frontwoman/pianist. And yes, her interests drove a certain side of the band. But Ben Moody was the guy that insisted on the heavy guitar riffs, making the band a hybrid between Amy's interests and heavy rock. And it worked. Very well.

Yeah, once Ben left, Amy kept up the hard rock vibe. Open Door was OK, the self-titled was pretty good, but Amy clearly is more interested in a different direction, but still using the Evanescence name to bring in the money that it does (and yes, it does). By moving to orchestral/electronica, she's going to alienate a lot of people (including myself), but there are tons of people out there that will gravitate toward her. She's not stupid. She knows she'll take a big hit in the heavy rock world, but she's gambling that she can morph Evanescence into a different genre, given her broad appeal.

I'm not interested whatsoever. I thought Amy Lee was extremely talented, and still do, but her interests are nowhere near mine, musically.

I thought Ben Moody had something good with We Are The Fallen, and loved that record. Really a shame the band went dark. Last I heard, Carly Smithson had a kid, and Ben's just off songwriting and producing. That band was pretty awesome, and was absolutely the direction Evanescence had on Fallen. I was really looking forward to more.

:hefdaddy

Yep. You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Lee's general disinterest in the band and the way she treats it like this thing she'll only trot out when she needs money shows that it probably should have been canned after The Open Door. Was the self-titled better? Oh, hell yes, but it still wasn't that great (I certainly haven't gone back to it in about five years) and I can't believe after six years of waiting for new material, we got... this.

It's a bit disheartening that in all the arguing in the comments section of their announcement on Facebook, a lot of fans don't seem to remember that Ben even existed.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #106 on: May 12, 2017, 08:23:05 AM »

It's a bit disheartening that in all the arguing in the comments section of their announcement on Facebook, a lot of fans don't seem to remember that Ben even existed.

I'm sure Amy prefers it that way, of course. Obviously, I don't know her, but whatever fallout the two of them had was deep. Real deep. I mean, I remember when Ben smashed his platinum award for Fallen all over the studio. I mean, you don't do that unless you're not just super pissed, but enraged and hurt.

Ben (I guess) made a decision to stay out of the spotlight to a degree, and just stay behind the scenes. And while that has hurt his profile with Evanescence fans (to your point), I personally think he wants it that way. He seems to be glad to be rid of Amy Lee. And given what I am seeing with Amy Lee (at least from a public standpoint with Evanescence) I can't say I blame him.

It is a real shame, but pretty much the moment Ben left, I remember telling my wife Evanescence would lose its edge. And it did, almost immediately. She's been angling for this genre-switch for a long time. My wife said last night that a ton of the younger girls that look up to her will follow her blindly (this is my wife saying this). And she's right. But she'll clearly lose most of the fringe fans that are into heavy rock and metal, such as myself. I'll just spin Fallen, the pre-Fallen demos, and We Are the Fallen from now on.  :lol

and p.s. I agree, the self-titled was not the greatest record, but it was better than TOD.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #107 on: May 12, 2017, 11:00:46 AM »
I'm still waiting for another We Are the Fallen record.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #108 on: May 12, 2017, 12:41:10 PM »
I'm still waiting for another We Are the Fallen record.

You and me both. But it seems unlikely. Ben seems to always be busy, and Carly has a young kid. The timing for them is probably not right. But hey, maybe they'll both see your post, and decide to do it. I hope so.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2017, 02:43:00 PM »
I remember Amy Lee wanting to do something electronic based a couple years before S/T came out. The stuff before Fallen had electronic elements, and I prefer that material over everything else, but with only 2 new songs, it's hard to get very excited.

And I thought S/T was better than Fallen.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2017, 05:16:33 PM »
The only thing I feel like Fallen is really lacking in is the drum department. I get the guy was a hired gun, but the drums are just sooooo boring and lifeless.

Will Hunt brings a ton of personality to the drums, which is one of the reasons I like the S/T so much. Though I do agree that the lack of electronic/goth elements really sucks.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #111 on: May 12, 2017, 05:28:01 PM »
Josh Freese is a damn good drummer. Unfortunately all he had to work with were Ben Moody's boring repetitive riffs.

Online Adami

« Reply #112 on: May 12, 2017, 05:28:55 PM »
Josh Freese is a damn good drummer. Unfortunately all he had to work with were Ben Moody's boring repetitive riffs.

Probably. I don't even know who it was or who that dude is. But the drumming on that album is SO boring. Don't care who's to blame.

You're to blame!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #113 on: May 12, 2017, 05:29:55 PM »
YOU'RE OUT OF ORDER!

Online Adami

« Reply #114 on: May 12, 2017, 05:31:03 PM »
I AM THE LAW!!!!!!

...sorry, that got away from me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline TL

« Reply #115 on: May 12, 2017, 06:39:10 PM »
From that article;
This album is about orchestra and electronica. We're taking our music, stripping out the big distorted guitars, stripping out the rock drums and replacing it with full orchestration and a completely synthetic world of beats and sounds.

It's not every day that you hear a musician outright say that they're trying to make their music more synthetic.  :lol

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #116 on: May 13, 2017, 12:23:54 PM »
I AM THE LAW!!!!!!

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!