Author Topic: How does facebook know this?  (Read 4445 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: How does facebook know this?
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
I'm sorry I dared say something against facebook or something anti-mainstream in general. I deserve to be mocked now.

::)

darkes7 is that you

:lol :lol
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Liberation

« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »
I'm sorry I dared say something against facebook or something anti-mainstream in general. I deserve to be mocked now.

It's not anti-mainstream at all; I've seen plenty of people wonder similar things. I just can never figure out why it's such a big deal. Twenty years from now stuff like this will be laughable.
You explained yourself in the last sentence why it's such a big deal.

That is, I don't care; it's not my privacy that I'm freely giving away. If you don't mind that, your choice. :) I'm just stating my opinion.

darkes7 is that you
wat

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2011, 09:57:08 AM »
facebook knows everything about you.    everything.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2011, 10:00:19 AM »

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2011, 11:06:33 AM »

It's not anti-mainstream at all; I've seen plenty of people wonder similar things. I just can never figure out why it's such a big deal. Twenty years from now stuff like this will be laughable.

That is, I don't care; it's not my privacy that I'm freely giving away. If you don't mind that, your choice. :) I'm just stating my opinion.
I have no issue with you stating your opinion. I'm just saying that it's inevitable, so why fight it?

Along the same lines, I got a 'people you may know' suggestion from LinkedIn last week that was my wife's ex boyfriend from 20 odd years ago (they still keep in touch over FB though).  He lives on the other side of the country, we have no communication directly, he's in a totally different line of work (he's a restaurant manager; I work in hi-tech), we have no common connections on LinkedIn (nothing even close), and he wouldn't know my work email address that LinkedIn is connected to.

Bottom line, I have to believe that most social media sites (FB, Twitter, LI etc...) share information. 
They do, and they'll ask permission up front about it.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
The worst part is actually not Facebook, but instead friends of yours with no concept of privacy. A few years back I got an email from a now-defunct social networking site, saying "Your friend XYZ has entered your details; log in now!". You can bet that that data was sold when the company went own.
Similarly, there's people who share their address book with FB, to "make it easier" to find their friends. What it however means is that you, who is in his address book, have been absorbed into FB's database.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Liberation

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2011, 08:39:29 AM »

I have no issue with you stating your opinion. I'm just saying that it's inevitable, so why fight it?
Well the second part was more of a general statement to those who seem to have a problem with me saying that.

To slow it down? For me one of the greatest achievements of modern society is privacy, after all those centuries when you more or less had to be constantly in contact with everyone. Now people just freely give it away and basically willingly put themselves under surveillance. Wtf?

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2011, 08:45:18 AM »

Well the second part was more of a general statement to those who seem to have a problem with me saying that.

To slow it down? For me one of the greatest achievements of modern society is privacy, after all those centuries when you more or less had to be constantly in contact with everyone. Now people just freely give it away and basically willingly put themselves under surveillance. Wtf?
Well, you have to understand not everyone feels the way you do. Personally, I feel it's not about privacy but about sharing and understanding each other. After all of those centuries of being separated from each other, the net now finally allows us to connect with people from around the world. And I think this is an amazing development, one that I am proud to be a part of. :) Off course, as long as it is all willingly.

If you don't want to be a part of it, nobody is forcing you to use Facebook.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline Liberation

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2011, 08:50:14 AM »
I definitely like the idea of communicating with people around the world (well that's why I'm here in the first place). But communicating is one thing; exposing yourself and basically allowing everyone to watch your life is another.

Also, I would never feel comfortable using my real name to move around the Internet. I have nothing to hide, but the internet is a total jungle and it feels like asking for trouble to me.

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2011, 08:54:55 AM »
Well, that's okay too, nobody is forcing you. As for me, I use my real name everywhere I go. I don't specifically spell it out here on this site, but just follow the link in my signature and there you have it. And I have no problem with that. :) I believe in being honest with myself and who I am, even here on the net. It allows for more mature discussion. I have nothing to hide.

And that is why all the Facebook changes has never bothered me. I've never made a wall post about how much my boss sucks, so why should I care? In my experience, it's the people who does that who usually have a problem with this.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline slycordinator

« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2011, 01:33:53 PM »
BTW, there's nothing about facebook that requires you to use your real name.

Offline jsem

« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
I don't have facebook, but facebook probably knows a whole lotta crap about me.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
BTW, there's nothing about facebook that requires you to use your real name.

I'm friends with a guy I've known since junior high (which is a hell of a long time for me) who uses an "alias" on Facebook.  We all know who he really is, but he has never once used his real name or given it online, and plans to keep it that way.  I don't quite agree with his level of paranoia, but I guess I understand it.  I've been Orbert for over 20 years, and until the past year or so, only Orbert.  I do go by Bob in real life, which some people know, and a couple of people here know my last name as well, but overall I think I'm more comfortable just being Orbert, and in some ways I regret deviating from my original plan to keep it that way.

Offline Millais

« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 03:06:45 PM »
Similarly, there's people who share their address book with FB, to "make it easier" to find their friends. What it however means is that you, who is in his address book, have been absorbed into FB's database.

rumborak

pretty sure if it's going to be anything - rumborak has covered it here.

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 10:00:12 PM »

darkes7 is that you
wat

An ex-DTFer that constantly felt the need to broadcast how different his opinions were from the majority's.  Also from Poland coincidentally.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2011, 08:03:08 PM »
I am another one who will not join Facebook, and after I saw a doco and a report on Anderson Cooper 360 a few weeks back I know I never will.

Facebook right now is sharing the photos people put as their profile on other websites and does not have to get the permission of the account holder, as Facebook now owns that photograph, even if deleted Facebook still have it.
Facebook knows where you go on line and even worse if other sites have that like button, that helps them to find out stuff about you, what you search for, what you look at.
They also help government find people, but then Google does that as well.
So who knows where else they can go on your computer there was a story in the Melbourne paper the Herald Sun a guy who found out facebook were storing cookies on his computer, and he made Facebook aware this was happening, apparently they did not know.  ::)

And the scariest of all those of us who do not have accounts, even if we have been directed to someone's page and may have browsed before being asked to sign in, sign up Facebook knows all about us as well.

It stands to reason it may find details of someone you sent an email five years ago is also on Facebook and sends you the friend link.

At the end of the day it is a business, a big business that will always be trying to find new ways to keep itself ahead of everyone else.

And this is what we do know, imagine what is going on we don't even know about?!

Offline Vajra

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2011, 08:47:33 PM »
I have a strange story too. I have this habit of crying myself to sleep while dressed as Batman. One day under the ads section where it recommends some type of thing you may be interested in, it had a link with a description that said "Do you cry yourself to sleep as Batman? Find out how to overcome it!"

How could they possibly know this?

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »
I think people are making way, way, way too big a deal out of this "they have your information thing". They also have enough of other peoples information that you're just a small piece of the puzzle. You think Zuckerberg memorizes every Facebook members information and uses it for his own dastardly needs?

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 08:58:47 PM »
I have a strange story too. I have this habit of crying myself to sleep while dressed as Batman. One day under the ads section where it recommends some type of thing you may be interested in, it had a link with a description that said "Do you cry yourself to sleep as Batman? Find out how to overcome it!"

How could they possibly know this?

wow, I completely  :rollin

Offline TheMadgician

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 09:13:54 PM »
I think people are making way, way, way too big a deal out of this "they have your information thing". They also have enough of other peoples information that you're just a small piece of the puzzle. You think Zuckerberg memorizes every Facebook members information and uses it for his own dastardly needs?

Clearly he's using his own brain as a server. Then, with the help of a chip implanted in the base of his skull by his alien masters, he transmits all of the most intimate knowledge into space. There, it's collected and siphoned back to the mother ship. Through their fastest processors, they filter the irrelevant information out. The end result? The alien overlords know exactly how to defeat us. They are coming.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 10:22:06 PM »
Big deal.  The aliens will come and kick our butts at a bunch of lame Zynga games.  I'm not afraid.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 10:22:36 PM »

Clearly he's using his own brain as a server. Then, with the help of a chip implanted in the base of his skull by his alien masters, he transmits all of the most intimate knowledge into space. There, it's collected and siphoned back to the mother ship. Through their fastest processors, they filter the irrelevant information out. The end result? The alien overlords know exactly how to defeat us. They are coming.

:rollin

So I guess my comfortableness with the whole this is that 1 you can't stop it and 2 I trust facebook. I'm sure a lot of people think that's weird, but I've spent a lot of time looking at this stuff and a lot of the negative stuff is just trying to scare you and grab ratings.

Would be willing to be that maybe 30% of facebook users have actually seen Zuckerberg talk, and most of them were probably that one interview where he got all sweaty. Like really, you're telling me this dude is an evil genius? https://youtu.be/v32AABzvCyc

So a bunch of my info is on fb... now what? Like really, what is he going to do?