Author Topic: Why Music Fans are Inherently Terrible  (Read 5664 times)

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Why Music Fans are Inherently Terrible
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2011, 03:18:31 AM »
I guess I'm a snob but I don't really care what genre people think they a band is unless they say something really stupid like:

"Why do you like The Offspring? I can't stand heavy metal".

Someone has said that to me.
Eh, to be fair, The Offspring have much more in common with metal than any other punk band. Still a pretty dumb statement though.

I guess I'd fit into the snob category, but that might be more of an OCD thing than me just being an asshole.
That's not being a snob though, surely? Just correcting someone is maybe a little pedantic, but it's not snobby. You're only a snob if it really bothers you, and if you judge others for it. And also if you judge others for what they do or don't like.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Jirpo

• DTF.org Member
  • :)
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2011, 04:05:05 AM »
I guess I'm a snob, but I don't like to go too far with genres. But calling someone a snob for saying like "death metal is completely different to power metal" is not right, I think its very fair to distinguish between those genres without being snobbish.

Offline rogerdil

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2011, 06:41:34 AM »
Of those, I'm a hipster.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2011, 06:46:11 AM »
I like what I like and I don't like what I don't like.  I mean, I've tried just about every music genre there is in western music.   The music that seems to continue to draw me back in looking for more is mostly progressive style music.   For me personally, part of the attraction to the more complex style of progressive music is the fact that I am a musician.  While I certainly appreciate the fact that a great deal of talent is required to compose a song that is a pop-music hit, I tend to think that it takes (more? better?) talent to create a progressive music epic, say, like "Stranger In Your Soul" from Transatlantic, or "Beyond All Illusions" from Dream Theater.

Do these things make me a snob?  I don't know.  Maybe.

I go to Jimmy Buffet and Rod Stewart concerts with my wife and frankly, I enjoy those concerts.  Sure, a lot of it has to do with the fact that I love my wife and enjoy watching her enjoying her favorite artists, but I also very much enjoy other musicians playing music, regardless of genre.

I've played drums for a rap group.  I've played drums for a "Boy Band" modeled after "Boyz 2 Men" and I've also played drums in an Iron Maiden tribute band.  I currently play guitar, bass and keyboards and write all the music for my band The ANABASIS, which has been described as "Transatlantic with balls"

The point being, my musical listening and playing has been all over the map.

But if you look at my CD collection, it's almost all prog and metal.

So I guess in SOME ways, I do have a streak of snobbery running through my musical listening, but when it comes to playing or performing music, I'll get in on almost anything.

Interesting topic, I guess I rambled a bit there  :lol

Offline jsem

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2011, 06:55:55 AM »
Probably fall into mostly the snob category, with a touch of the hipster category.

But as a general rule, I listen to whatever sounds good to me and I'm generally willing to give anything a try.

Offline PuffyPat

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2011, 08:29:46 AM »
I enjoy music for what it is. Yes, I would rather listen to indie and other underground things, but when "Party Rock Anthem" comes on the radio, I turn it up. Why? Because it's catchy as hell, and I love it. I don't care if I'm the only one who's heard it, or if it's everyone in the country's favorite song. If it's good music I'll listen to it, and not care what anyone else has to say.
prog sucks
Even if you're not serious, I'm going to pretend you are and use this as proof that not all heroes wear capes.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2011, 08:51:47 AM »
That was an amazing read, and definitely relates to how most of the people who I know handle their music, and something that annoys me to no end.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Obfuscation

• “"You are my creator, but I am your master; Obey!”
  • Google It
« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »
If I was to fit into any one of those categories, it would definitively be a snob. A proud one too.  :yarr
“Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.”

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2011, 11:40:28 AM »
I don't fit into any of these categories and I think there's at least 2 more not mentioned there. Cool article nonetheless.
Pretty progressive of the school news paper to allow swearing btw :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
I don't fit into any of these categories and I think there's at least 2 more not mentioned there. Cool article nonetheless.
Pretty progressive of the school news paper to allow swearing btw :lol
I'm assuming it's a college newspaper, which are usually more lenient.

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 02:15:57 PM »
i do not care enough about music beyond listening to it and liking it to fit into any of those categories i think

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2011, 02:13:41 PM »
You're "that token chiptune guy."
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2011, 02:19:13 PM »
I definitely fall into the 'Snob' category. :lol

I'm okay with that though.
This, although not to the extreme that is outlined in the OP. People that I know may say I generally think 'prog>everything else' is basically a musical 'law.'
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline MetalManiac666

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 11:16:49 AM »
I probably lean most towards hipster out of those listed in the OP, but I generally try to be as open as possible.  I do feel a sort of satisfaction with the fact that my music taste is no where close to the mainstream though.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 11:37:40 AM »
I'm a touch snob and a touch hipster I guess. Much less so than I used to be though.

Offline Bongasti

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 01:13:27 PM »
I would probably be a mix of snob and hipster, while not being much of any of them, I do recognize a few minor tendencies here and there.
As for the whole "mainstream"-music part, I don't really dislike music if it becomes popular, but I'm more of a person that prefers more 'unknown' music.
Popular-music just doesn't do much for me, because many of the songs are constructed in a way that the listener will hear pretty much everything the song has to offer on the first listen, because it is designed for radio-play.
I more prefer songs that grow with each listen, and where I can find new 'hidden' sounds etc.
This is pretty much me. And I don't like too specific categorizing on music styles, but  calling everything with highly distorted guitars just metal is... wrong.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 01:28:45 PM »
Would it be snobbish to point out that it should be spelled "poseur"?  Or that you don't record on a phonograph?

Offline Slain

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 08:57:27 PM »
I'd probably be a snob, from the definition that this guy gives anyway. But I don't see what's wrong with correctly classifying music  :biggrin:
You could probably argue that everyone is a bit snobby when it comes to something that they love, or know a lot about. Like with movies, sports, books, anything.
Quote from: MarlaHooch
Just amazing.  DT should count their lucky stars that some of their fans are at this level of unconditional cult worship.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2011, 07:23:00 AM »
I guess I'm a snob, because zombies annoy me to no end.

Offline TheSilentHam

• Bringin' da bacon
« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 09:23:56 AM »
I was a snob 25 years ago, to my musical and personal detriment, but don't really fit into any of the three categories now.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2011, 09:24:36 AM »
I'm neither, even though I get really upset when people call Cradle of Filth or Opeth "Death Metal"
I have  a friend who insists that anything I listen to is Death Metal. :flame: so annoying! 
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2011, 09:32:12 AM »
Opeth is pretty death metal...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
  • Some days you just can't get rid of a bomb!
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »
I think it's more of an evolution than three static categories.  At least, that's how it was with me.  I pretty much went through all four of these stages... in this order.

Step 1 = Zombie.  ("Everybody else loves this, and I want to fit in, so I'll listen to this too")

Step 2 = Hipster.  ("Hey, wait a minute... you mean there's OTHER music out there?!  This obscure stuff is great!!  Way more interesting than that mainstream stuff everybody else loves")

Step 3 = Snob.  ("This obscure stuff I listen to is way better than that mainstream stuff.  And since I like obscure stuff better than mainstream stuff, I must be better than people who listen to mainstream stuff!  Haha, silly stupid people still stuck in the Zombie phase")

Step 4 = Normal person.  ("Wait, some of this mainstream stuff is good too.  Maybe I should just listen to what I like listening to and stop caring about what everybody else thinks/listens to").

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
I think it's more of an evolution than three static categories.  At least, that's how it was with me.  I pretty much went through all four of these stages... in this order.

Step 1 = Zombie.  ("Everybody else loves this, and I want to fit in, so I'll listen to this too")

Step 2 = Hipster.  ("Hey, wait a minute... you mean there's OTHER music out there?!  This obscure stuff is great too!!"

Step 3 = Snob.  ("This obscure stuff I listen to is way better than that mainstream stuff.  And since I like obscure stuff better than mainstream stuff, I must be better than people who listen to mainstream stuff!  Haha, silly stupid people still stuck in the Zombie phase")

Step 4 = Normal person.  ("Wait, some of this mainstream stuff is good too.  Maybe I should just listen to what I like listening to and stop caring about what everybody else thinks/listens to").

Honestly this is exactly what I went through in the past 3 years or so. I still consider myself in the snob category though since I'm still a dick to other people about music most of the time.
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Aramatheis

• The lighter's dead
  • DTF.org Member
  • and the gas has been cut off
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2011, 09:41:33 AM »
Zombies are the WORST

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: October 11, 2011, 09:47:36 AM »
Also I think you switched the definitions of Snob and Hipster there, Chris.
I AM A GUY

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #61 on: October 11, 2011, 10:13:37 AM »
Hmm... idunno, I think the way I have it is right.  I feel like the "hipster" is more about discovering/loving obscure stuff and hating anything mainstream, and then the "snob" phase comes in when you take the love of obscure and hatred of mainstream and turn it into a judgment against those who disagree and a judgment against anybody who listens to mainstream.  I'm not seeing where the mixup is... :/

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2011, 10:21:57 AM »
Pretty sure "hipster" is just dismissing everything mainstream, and "snob" is just being a douche about everything.

idk who really cares.
I AM A GUY

Offline ZeppelinDT

• Resident Collectaholic
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 10:24:07 AM »
Well yeah... isn't that what I said?  I don't disagree with you... I'm just not seeing where the reversal is.  I think the dismissal comes first and then leads to the douchiness.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2011, 10:29:27 AM »
yeah so hipster first, then snob?
I AM A GUY

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: October 11, 2011, 10:31:29 AM »
It's obvious from this conversation that neither of you is a true music fan.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #66 on: October 11, 2011, 11:31:30 AM »
It's obvious from this conversation that neither of you is a true music fan.
This.  Guys, I'm a hipster, and its not like I go out of my way to be obscure or shit on mainstream  :P

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #67 on: October 11, 2011, 12:13:33 PM »
The interesting thing with all of those is that the actual enjoyment of music doesn't really factor in. Snobs break their music down to a science. Hipsters will only listen to their music if it's obscure. Zombies will only listen to music if it's popular.

Music fans really are terrible. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2011, 12:19:05 PM »
The interesting thing with all of those is that the actual enjoyment of music doesn't really factor in. Snobs break their music down to a science. Hipsters will only listen to their music if it's obscure. Zombies will only listen to music if it's popular.

Well I think the thing about this is that most of the people that fit into these categories still enjoy music a lot. Saying that "the enjoyment of music isn't a factor" is just incorrect. Hipsters "enjoy" their music if it's obscure, snobs "enjoy" breaking it down into a science, and zombies "enjoy" listening to popular music. IF people are enjoying their music, who really cares.
I AM A GUY

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2011, 12:31:38 PM »
Yeah, the people who do any of that without enjoying the music (and they do exist) aren't really music fans at all.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.