Author Topic: Interesting article I found  (Read 506 times)

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
Interesting article I found
« on: October 06, 2011, 10:59:43 PM »
https://www.tekmatespring.com/2011/06/america%E2%80%99s-worst-pretending-generation/

What is your say on the views expressed by this guy, who is a fogey compared to our own fogey flock?

(I wasn't sure if this could be considered political, so I posted it here)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Interesting article I found
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:32:52 PM »
Read it. Some very interesting points were made but I don't have nearly enough confidence in my world view to assess his points with any real conviction.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 09:35:59 AM »
Utter BS, IMO.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 10:16:57 AM »
Haven't had a chance to read more than the first two paragraphs (actually busy today), but it's a situation I've give a great deal of thought to.  It's not a function of the generation or the type of people within,  but of human nature.    In our case,  the exponential growth rate of our technology has led to an equally rapid deterioration of out society.  We've managed to make things very easy for ourselves, very quickly, and that's a root cause of collapse.  Nobody has to worry about Charlie launching V2's over us.  We don't have to slaughter pigs to trade for vegetables and bread.  We've certainly created new stresses, but the ease with which we get by has made us lazy and complacent.  Factor that in with the loss of morality and the growth of vice (and to be clear,  I think this is a damn fine thing and a worthy trade off),  then the outcome is inevitable. 

The issue is that human nature is to desire what we've created for ourselves,  but also to deteriorate and slack once we obtain it.  The people who are having to bust their asses are going to sail right past us.  And then, they'll also get to where we are.  It's a pretty common occurrence, in the grand scheme of human development.  All civilizations will run their course and either implode or stagnate.  Some last longer than others, but the outcome is the same. 

To paraphrase a great man,  just sit back and enjoy the show.  We've got front row seats, and the concessions area is among the best in the world.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 10:24:41 AM by El Barto »
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson