Author Topic: Guitar Pro  (Read 6995 times)

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
Guitar Pro
« on: April 29, 2009, 09:33:26 PM »
Who else uses this software to learn songs? I find it's very useful, especially where the on-screen fretboard is concerned.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
Re: Guitar Pro
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 10:43:39 PM »
I use tuxguitar, which is free and opens GP files. But yeah, its reall useful.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline Gwii

• DTF Zelda Avatar Club
  • DT.net Member
  • There's so much more to see in the darkest places
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 11:07:32 PM »
I use tuxguitar, which is free and opens GP files. But yeah, its reall useful.

this
My Soundclick Page

I can just sense Gwii hiding in the bushes with a knife between his teeth.

Offline tri.ad

• The Invisible Man
  • DT.net Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 01:10:59 AM »
I love GP, but it's not a good alternative for composing songs. It just takes too long to put in every single note and then mostly having to tweak it so that it sounds the way you want.
... And you ask me: "Where's my hairspray?"

Mentlegen.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 01:14:21 AM »
I used to tab out everything on the computer when writing songs, but I've pretty much stopped by now. It's way too time consuming to do it, and there's really little benefit. It's easier just to record a rough demo to keep the ideas down.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline cthrubuoy

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 08:22:13 AM »
GP ftw

If anyone has got some GP compositions they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be interested in listening. I'll see if I can find some of mind on an old external

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 08:28:12 AM »
guitar pro is one of the programs i use most on my computer. i like slowing stuff down, or just muting the lead guitar and using it as a backing track

Offline icarus4321

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 10:26:39 AM »
Yeah, I definitely like guitar pro for learning songs.  I haven't really used it for composing recently, but I used to use it a lot.  Great Program!
Please check out our band, Agora Forte, www.reverbnation.com/agoraforte

My last.fm Profile

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 10:53:12 AM »
I don't use GPro for composing. I have a notebook for that. For learning new songs, this is perfect. It costs a bit more than it should, I think, but it's worth it to have everything right there. Text tabs suck because a lot of the time you don't know what type of note to play (which I think is very important)

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 12:17:07 PM »
Bah guitar pro. Powertabs forever!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 12:49:25 PM »
Bah guitar pro. Powertabs forever!

Oh man I had meant to ask you: it looks like you're a contributor, but their site is down (for a bit longer, i understand). Do you have a good collection?

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 01:55:21 PM »
It's decent. PM me what you need and I'll see what I have.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2009, 11:14:31 PM »
Just noticed this thread. I also use Guitar Pro. Not as much as I used to though. I try to do the "by ear" thing as much as possible. But for learning solos it's great, especially since you can slow the tempo down and add repeats if you just want to work on a particular lick.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2009, 05:34:19 PM »
I use Tuxguitar almost exclusively when learning new songs on bass. I've composed a little bit on it too.

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2009, 02:24:46 PM »
Guitar Pro is excellent
The tab is always good, because the author can't get with mistakes, or you'll be able to hear them.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 02:58:06 PM »
There aren't some features on GP that PT has, like odd tuplets (13:8, for example)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »
GP is a great tool. Although I alternate with Powertabs as well. ddtonfire has made some excellent tabs in powertabs! Which brings me to this question, do you know other good tab transcribers, ddt? At least for GP, and that are members or constantly submit at ultimate-guitar?

Offline Frank

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2009, 03:28:17 PM »
When I discovered GuitarPro, it was a near total conversation to it for learning songs, especially when they become intensely complicated (Dream Theater) and I need to listen to it several times in different speeds to truly understand it.

Basically, it splits into two different categories for when I want to learn a song. If I want to do it quick and easily for the sake of learning how to play it, then I'll use GuitarPro. But if I want a challenge, something I can be a bit more proud I figured out how to do, I'll use text tabs. And to be even more proud I would resort to learning by ear, but for the more complicated things I don't like doing that in fear I'll learn something wrong and it's treacherous to unlearn something that you've programmed into your fingers.
Ahh, I hit the home button!
- Jordan Rudess

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2009, 12:36:28 PM »
Guitar Pro is a fantastic tool that I use for learning and composing songs. I've never heard of TuxGuitar though; how does it differ from Guitar Pro?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2009, 12:31:33 PM »
GP is a great tool. Although I alternate with Powertabs as well. ddtonfire has made some excellent tabs in powertabs! Which brings me to this question, do you know other good tab transcribers, ddt? At least for GP, and that are members or constantly submit at ultimate-guitar?

Bakerman, who posts every once in a while here, is an excellent transcriber. He did the Octavarium, Systematic Chaos, and Suspended Animation tab books, as well as several transcriptions for Guitar One, I believe. I don't know if he does Guitar Pro stuff, though.

Offline Spolt

• DTF's Official Cookie Monster
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 01:10:24 PM »
it is great indeed !

Offline FabiotheIguana

• While Living In Allegory...
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2009, 09:34:57 PM »
I use it for all composing needs. I rarely use it to learn tabs anymore, only because I rarely learn other band's songs anymore. But it is the only tab program i use now, I used to be really proficient with PowerTab but I forgot how to use it as well as I used to. I use both for learning, but GP for composing.
I can't imagine how amazing an experience [SCORE] must of been to see.
Remember the holocaust? Now picture the exact opposite

Cake > Pie

Offline faemir

• Official DTF 5.0 mix HATER
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2009, 05:45:47 AM »
Guitar Pro is a fantastic tool that I use for learning and composing songs. I've never heard of TuxGuitar though; how does it differ from Guitar Pro?

A free (legal  ;) _ program that pretty much does the same thing :)

Offline xerox.dt

• Sorry for my poor english!
  • The Count of Tuscany use Mac too
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2009, 06:09:26 AM »
I use the guitar pro for learning song and composing too. It's really useful, but I don't like too much because it's a good program for tabs, but not for scores I think. When I'm in Ubuntu I use Tuxguitar  :).
And, for jams in home I use Band-in-a-Box, It's my fav. I recommend it  :tup .
"Hello? Is there anybody in there?"

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »
Guitar Pro is excellent
The tab is always good, because the author can't get with mistakes, or you'll be able to hear them.

There are still loads of bad guitar pro tabs out there, in fact, only a precious few are accurate.

GP ftw

If anyone has got some GP compositions they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be interested in listening. I'll see if I can find some of mind on an old external

I've been working on this track for a while, check it out if you want.

https://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=b...4e75f6e8ebb871
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline TehFix0r

« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 11:37:53 AM »
Guitar pro I've actually just about gone off in terms of composing. It's just too hard to work out various fiddly bits, especially if there's a weird feel or timing that you can't quite work out. It's just far too time-consuming to write out a riff that happens to be in alternative bars of 33/16 and 25/16 when it's far easier to just remember/write it down.

But if you're not doing anything too weird, then it works quite nicely. You've just got to try not to expect too much of it.

Offline myung9

« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 01:20:55 PM »
i'm new to this board and absolutely admire myung's playing as well as his sound.  i know it's a little off-topic, but being a bass player and the fan of myung you seem to be, would you happen to know what he uses live for effects?  specifically, i'm looking for a way to get the effect he gets on "As I Am" studio version.

thanks!

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 01:24:07 PM »
Isn't it just a ton of reverb? I don't use a lot of effects, because bass effects are not only few and far between, but a lot of them are unnecessary and expensive.

I do want a reverb petal though, because Jaco uses it a lot for his songs, and I just can't get the same effect with my fretless

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 02:49:43 PM »
TuxGuitar is absolutely amazing. It has all the awesome features of GP, but it opens PowerTab files too. I think it's the #1 used application on my computer.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline changing_seasons

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 09:29:17 AM »
Guitar Pro can import Power Tab files.
Tell about my brother
Tell them about me
The Count of Tuscany

Offline Portrucci

• Fission Mailed
  • You're just another hero riding through the night
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2009, 09:56:17 AM »
I started to use GuitarPro to compose and found within 5 minutes, you are not allowed to have the Drums and Guitar in different time signatures. Whats the deal with that? You can work around it of course, but it gets tedious.
on par with the anguish one would have from getting unconsensually bent over and buttloved.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2009, 11:12:44 AM »
TuxGuitar is also FREE.  :metal
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline TehFix0r

« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2009, 11:25:54 AM »
TuxGuitar is also FREE.  :metal

So is guitar, if you happen to forget about copyright laws.

Offline petrucci07

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2009, 02:16:30 PM »
i'm new to this board and absolutely admire myung's playing as well as his sound.  i know it's a little off-topic, but being a bass player and the fan of myung you seem to be, would you happen to know what he uses live for effects?  specifically, i'm looking for a way to get the effect he gets on "As I Am" studio version.

thanks!

Wrong thread dude  :P
I'm not a bassist, but I do play guitar, and for the intro, I'm guessing there's a little distortion on there? and reverb, like PLM said. I also think that they EQ'd it a little to get the perfect sound, and that'd be pretty hard for you to do live.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2009, 03:16:41 PM »

thanks!

Wrong thread dude  :P
I'm not a bassist, but I do play guitar, and for the intro, I'm guessing there's a little distortion on there? and reverb, like PLM said. I also think that they EQ'd it a little to get the perfect sound, and that'd be pretty hard for you to do live.

Yea on Budokan I didn't really hear the same sound that was on the studio, so the EQ is probably way different.