Author Topic: The Best Night of My Life  (Read 7169 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
The Best Night of My Life
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:42:39 PM »
The scene was set, it was a gorgeous day (as gorgeous as it can get in Ohio). I sat through the longest 4 hours of classes I've ever had to sit through, and it was finally time to make the 70 minute drive up to Michigan to meet my dad for my most anticipated concert yet. We got to the venue around 3, set up some lawn chairs, brought a box of goodies, opened the windows cranking out SDOIT and SFAM, talked with the local fans about how epic tonight was going to be. One fan in particular (his name was John) is definitely the coolest guy I've ever met at a concert. He had a meet & greet ticket, and basically offered to save us a spot in the very front row (provided we could find him).

So, about an hour before the concert, the venue staff came out and separated the line into two sections, one with standard tickets from the box office, and one for paper tickets printed at home. I found this procedure rather odd, but just went with it. I figured we might get in earlier or something since we had actual tickets, and didn't think about it again until they did THE EXACT OPPOSITE. They opened the doors to the paper ticket people and let the WHOLE ENTIRE LINE (about 150 people, I'm guessing) in before us. I (along with the 8 people behind me) was ready to go up there and start kicking some ass, but we waited like good kids, and figured we'd make the best of the situation.

I walked faster than ever into that venue, and started scanning the front row for the guy I met in line. I found him quite quickly, and started pushing through the crowd trying to get up to him. There were a few people around who weren't going to let me through, so I had to yell at him to get his attention. He called off the bouncers and let me up to the front row. To my utter shock and amazement, he had saved the spot right in the center of the rail. DEAD. CENTER. I have never been more happy about anything in my life. Of course, my dad was chilling about 3 rows back, but he was one of the tallest people in the room anyway, so it wasn't that big of a deal.

After talking to the people around me for another hour or so, the questionably talented Trivium took the stage. Being in the front row for Trivium was obviously something I was prepared to suffer through to see my favorite band ever at the same vantage point, but the crazy moshing bitch (henceforth referred to as CMB) was an unexpected complication. From the start of the show, she was being totally obnoxious, but she was just getting warmed up. She shoved her way up into front row (Between Blazinarps and some other guy), which ended up knocking me out of my spot. She started getting even more insane, bumping into everybody around her and just annoying the piss out of everybody. I could tell Blazinarps was getting pretty pissed, so I told him he should just punch her in the face. She heard me and looked rather annoyed, but that was the last time we made eye contact, so I guess she wasn't too offended.

Finally, the security guy woke up and realized that everyone was pretty annoyed by her, so he came over to calm her down. Of course, as soon as he left she got all riled up again, but it was clear she was only there for Trivium, and she promptly got out of the front row when they were done, so I guess she had some class. The absolute highlight of Trivium's set was John epically getting a pick from Matt Heafy and a stick from their drummer whom I forget the name of. His ingenious idea was to write "Give me a pick?" on his hand. Heafy thought it was hilarious, and coughed up immediately. He then wrote "Give me a stick?" on his other hand, and the drummer also complied readily. This guy was clearly a genius. I ended up getting a pick from the other guitar player (My only physical memento from the show is from the band that I hate...classic).

Trivium finally finished up, all the annoying people left, and it was pretty much smooth sailing from there. I laughed heartily at the opening animation (particularly what they did with Mangini), and prepared myself for 2 hours of solid progressive metal. Let's just reiterate that I am literally front and center of the entire venue. I can literally see JLB's teeth glistening. The first two times he came up to the front of the stage, I nearly fell over in shock from how close he was to me. Then, at the end of the opener, something even better happened...

I double-high-five'd James LaBrie. I promptly collapsed onto the rail, just trying to come to terms with what just happened. People were patting me on the back, shouting out the classic lines "lucky bastard/motherfucker." The rest of the set was just awesome (I could go into so much more detail, but this story is already way too long). JR taking the stage with the Zen Riffer was another highlight (had to resist the temptation to touch his beard, of course). The show went pretty normally for about an hour or so (Beneath the Surface was insanely good). John ended up getting a stick from MM with a similar approach. He wrote it down on a piece of paper and gave it to JLB, who relayed the message and the stick.

The other amazing concert memory that will stick with me forever was JLB holding the microphone down to John and myself to do the backing vocals for Fatal Tragedy ("There can be no turning back"). Of all the concerts I've been to, Dream Theater was the last one where I expected to have that honor. Then again, John and I had been singing nearly every line the entire night, so I'm sure JLB knew we wouldn't mess it up. After we nailed the first line, he held it back down again, this time right at me so the guy to the left of me could get in on the fun too.

The show itself was 2 hours of complete and total musical heaven. Every instrumental section was unbelievable (particularly Outcry, my god). The acoustic set was a very nice touch, and it gave everyone in the crowd a great opportunity to sing along (there were tons of us singing through all of Beneath the Surface, which surprised me since it's only been out for a month). Even songs that I don't really care for anymore (Endless Sacrifice, Forsaken, These Walls) were extremely enjoyable.

After the show, I got to meet JM for a brief second. Not enough time for a picture, as he jumped into the bus right after I had something signed for some random person who was also hanging around. I had Mangini sign our tickets, and got a picture with him (but my dad forgot to save the picture to my phone, so that kind of blew). By then it was about 12:30 and I was completely spent, so I didn't stick around to meet JP or any of the other guys, but I really wanted to ask JP why he's so stingy with his picks (He tried to pull the same trick on him, but he would never read the message when he could give up a pick).

So, all in all, I don't think that concert's going to be topped until they start doing the Evening With... shows again.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
Re: The Best Night of My Life
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »

The other amazing concert memory that will stick with me forever was JLB holding the microphone down to John and myself to do the backing vocals for Fatal Tragedy ("There can be no turning back"). Of all the concerts I've been to, Dream Theater was the last one where I expected to have that honor. Then again, John and I had been singing nearly every line the entire night, so I'm sure JLB knew we wouldn't mess it up. After we nailed the first line, he held it back down again, this time right at me so the guy to the left of me could get in on the fun too.

this is awesome

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:54:08 PM »
Holy...

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
Awesome review.  Not to steal your limelight but I posted this in the Rosemont thread and didn't want to start a new one:

Being that I'm not a professional writer this may come across as a completely random and jumbled review but I wanted to express what was truly the greatest Dream Theater experience I've ever had.  This was my sixth time seeing Dream Theater and it was without a doubt the best I have ever seen them.  This may stem slightly from my bias at being second row and meeting the band beforehand, but I honestly think they have never been tighter or put on a better show.

I purchased the Meet & Greet tickets beforehand and it was about how I expected.  I was towards the back of the line so by the time I got to them the line had slowed down a bit and I got to have a brief conversation with all of them.  Petrucci and Mangini seemed very humbled and appreciative of all the compliments.   Rudess and Myung were very quiet and I noticed both of them kept tapping their fingers on the table to keep them in shape for the show.  I told LaBrie how much I liked his lyrics and that I wish he would write more for future albums.  He shurgged and said something like, “We'll see.”  I also mentioned that I was looking forward to his solo shows last year before they got canceled and he rolled his eyes and said, “Yeah, somebody sure screwed that up.”  I again told him how much I love his lyrics and he stuck his hand for me to shake.  It was kind of funny because the lady in charge of the event asked us not to shake their hands to prevent the spread of germs.  It was totally understandable but he and John Myung both initiated the gesture which was very cool.

With the Meet & Greet you get a pre-signed photo, a nice ADTOE poster printed on card stock, a pick case with guitar picks with the signatures of each of the members and one of the album, a uniquely styled t-shirt, your laminate pass you wear, and a tote bag with the Majesty logo.

Now onto the show.  The setlist they used was “Setlist B” which I was initially underwhelmed by but I have to admit, I was won over.  By the end of the show I was soaked with sweat from how much headbanging and jumping around I did.   

So let me review each of the members.

James – First of all, this is without a doubt the best I have ever seen him.  Not only did he sound great but more importantly he was all over the stage, even jumping off of the drum riser at one point.  He initiated so much crowd interaction that no one can deny he is an amazing front man.  During Caught in a Web his voice cracked which only made him sing with more emotion to get it back on track.  He even did a lot of improvising.  For instance, in Endless Sacrifice he started singing/screaming the word “Sacrifice” over and over.  It didn't necessarily add anything to the song but it was sure awesome to see him deviate from the norm.  You could tell he was not phoning in this performance at all. 

JP – What needs to be said about him?  He was spot on the entire night.  Walked around the stage a bit, had a lot of interaction with the crowd, and approached James in between one of the songs which prompted James to get a worried look on his face and say, “Are you going to pummel me?”  He then gave the mic to John who said, “How 'bout them Bears?”  Being that there was a fair amount of Wisconsiners in the audience there was a bit of booing.

JM – Ever focused he gave a great performance as per usual, except he seemed to interact with the guys a bit more. 

JR – I have to admit, I thought the Zenn Riffer was dumb at first but it was pretty badass when he got it out and stood front and center with JM and JP.  Obviously a flawless performance.

Mangini – In the second row I actually heard as much of the drums acoustically as I did amplified.  While that didn't make for the most ideal sound, I did love having somewhat of a more intimate experience with the drums.  Mike was ON the whole night and was even fucking around a bit and making faces at the guys when he would his various items on his monster of a kit.  When he was introduced by James the audience went ballistic.  James then tried to speak again and the audience would not shut up.  Just about everyone there was in agreement that Mangini is THE drummer for Dream Theater and they are not and should not look back. 

The acoustic set was incredibly beautiful even though they aren't my favorite songs.  I was so thankful that Dream Theater now feels comfortable allowing just 2 or 3 members to have a bit of the limelight.  Truly remarkable to just see Jordan, JM, and James playing Far From Heaven. 

When I first heard DT in the 90s, it wasn't anything to special to me.  Then I heard Scenes From a Memory and I liked some of the riffs but hated the prog parts.  With every album they won me over more and more until Octavarium when I became a diehard.  Now eleven years after my first Dream Theater concert I can truly say I have never been more excited for the band or the possibilities that lie ahead and I have never seen them kick so much ass. 

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 09:03:39 PM »
If you already posted it in a thread, why do you have to post it in another thread?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 09:05:00 PM »
If you already posted it in a thread, why do you have to post it in another thread?
Not that I really give a shit, but this. Also, I doubt anybody wants to read through 2 lengthy reviews of different shows in the same thread. :p
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 09:12:33 PM »
Um, cause not a lot of people are going to check out the Rosemont thread but I wanted to share it.  Sorry I ruined your life.   :facepalm:

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 09:15:06 PM »
Um, cause not a lot of people are going to check out the Rosemont thread but I wanted to share it.  Sorry I ruined your life.   :facepalm:

Not that I really give a shit, but this. Also, I doubt anybody wants to read through 2 lengthy reviews of different shows in the same thread. :p

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:19:52 PM »
I am now thoroughly and utterly confused.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:43 PM »
I am now thoroughly and utterly confused.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »
Both are amazing reviews and I wish I had the same experience at the Chicago show as well. Congrats on getting a stick from MM!
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 09:23:00 PM »
I'm just fucking around.

Sorry I ruined your life

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2011, 09:27:17 PM »
I envy you greatly.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2011, 09:49:25 PM »
 :metal

Offline Blazinarps

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 09:58:26 PM »
Good trip report.. You guys really should have sang "You can eat my ass and balls".  I hope it's okay for me to post my own review of the day in more detail here.

It was a pretty nice day in Ohio as was mentioned. I work in Toledo, but live in BG. My roommate, who literally knows more about DT than any other band despite not caring for them ) :metal), said she would go with me to a DT concert someday if I paid for the ticket. In August,  Jordan tweeted about the M&G tickets,   bought them the same day. She was not looking forward to having to meet them (she is somewhat shy and thought it was too expensive).

Fast forward to yesterday... I told her to meet me at my office at 3... For anyone who lives in the area, I work right beside where the Southwyck Mall used to be. Of course, she was running late, and by the time we got lunch at Subway, it was 3:45... Another 20 minutes of driving through Toledo construction and a detour through the ghetto, we are on the highway. She goes to sleep, I call my dad. As I'm about to hang up on my dad when we're getting into Detroit, she takes my GPS and says "you don't have to exit here". Or so I heard. She claims to have not said anything (bullshit)... I miss the exit, and the next exit when she tells me to stay left instead of exiting right. I take the GPS back, and we somehow make it to the venue just a few minutes before meet and greet people get to go in.

We go in to the meet and greet (which wasn't marked outside as we were told it would be on the itinerary), and wait. We had to make a single file line, and were told to move the line around like 3 different times before they were satisfied. The host reminded me of a reformed meth addict (sorry, but that's what I thought.. she was nice at least)... People in the meet and greet talked for a little bit. Then Dream Theater walks in like they own the place. I had the stupidest smile for the next hour. As I walked up to take the photo, JP looks at me and says "how's it going?" That's when I felt the earth move in my private place. I squeaked out a "what's up" or something similar.

We were told we could only have one thing signed. This was my dilemma... I had brought several things, and I wanted particular people to sign each thing, with JP and JR signing two things. I brought the BC guitar book, and a DT keyboard book, a lightswitch plate that my roommate made with ADToE cover on it (which is pretty sweet), and the new album. When they said one thing only, it sucked, because I had nothing that I wanted Mike only to sign. I sheepishly gave him my BC guitar book, and asked if he was willing to sign it. He smiled a huge Italian smile and said "Of course I'll sign it for you!"That was cool. JP signed my book, and asked me if I had learned the whole album yet. I said no not all of it, and he laughed a lot. LOLS. Jordan signed my keyboard book, John signed my book, and James signed my book.  I told James how amazing I thought the new album was, and he said it "was the album they HAD to make." Very cool.

I bought nothing because I thought everything was too expensive... and we waited to go down to the floor. We got first row in between JP and James. I should mention that we bought earplugs, but did not bring them with us. Big mistake, as it was incredibly loud (duh). I talked with people on the floor, and generally was just pissing my pants waiting for JP to own the world with his guitar playing just a few feet in front of me. Trivium came on and I just couldn't believe how much I hated it. But that's another story.

So I'm standing there not loving the set, and the aforementioned CMB elbowed her way from the back to right beside me. I don't know how she got up there, but mylanta she was a thorn in my side. Literally like trying to sweep my legs out from under me and shoving me and shit, like she deserved to be there more than me. Everybody around me kept saying "I'm so sorry dude" every time I made eye contact with them. I finally called the security guy over, and he warned her, and she was slightly calmer then. She said something to me, and I looked at her, and said "You're a cunt". She didn't like that I don't think. After Trivium, she left. Everybody apologized again, and now everybody had breathing room. Anybody around me, I need to thank you for not getting too close during Dream Theater. After she left, there was plenty of room behind me, although I felt people touch my back a few times, it was a pretty nice atmosphere.

Now I wait for DT. No big deal. My favorite band of all time. I now had met them. I was in the first row. They were about to play a pretty cool set. This was my 7th time seeing them, but I had not been able to go since Gigantour. The stage was set. Cue Inception.

The intro video was cool, although I would have preferred a song. All the videos were pretty cool, but Outcry was by far the best (reminded me, in tone at least, of ItNoG). The Great Debate had the 2nd best video, and I don't have rankings for the others, because I didn't pay too much attention to them.

WUUUAHHHHWUUUUUUAHHHHH. Bridges in the titty sucking Sky. Oh hai, Mr. Petrucci. Why yes, that is a 7 string you are about to rip my face off with. Killer song live.

Bunch of other cool songs were played. Goddamn, if you've never had JP play guitar 2 feet in front of you, I would tell you that you need to arrange that. So much fucking power, I can't put it into words. JP debuted (at least to me), a new black and white guitar. I'm not big into the whole "look how cool that guitar is" type thing, but that guitar was beautiful. Black on the outside, white on the inside, with hundreds of black dots, almost like they took mesh and spray painted over it. My god, just amazingly cool.

Mike had his drum solo, and hit a bad cymbal, and his stick just sort of stayed there. He froze for about 1 sec, and smiled real big, grabbed another stick and put it in his mouth, and kept going. Pretty funny. My roommate, Jen, told me after that his drum solo was like a conversation. I forget, but she broke it down in a funny way. She enjoyed that a lot. Mike got a HUGE 2 minute ovation. He kept mouthing "thank you, thank you." He is now what makes DT tick. He is THE drummer for DT. He is the Genie. He can has cheeseburger. With a habanero, of course.

The rest of the set went by, it seemed, in a flash. DT is now like cemented into the groove together. INCREDIBLY solid performances. Unfortunately, this may have been the worst sounding show that I've seen, but I blame that on now having earplugs, the band played better than I've ever seen them. That is something I've said every time I have gone to see them though... Pretty amazing actually. Stone fucking solid. It was like they have Midi quantizations going on internally, where they can't ever be out of time. Sickest live band ever?

All in all, 9/10. Would be 10/10 if it wasn't for CMB or the fact that I forgot my earplugs. The set could have been better with BAI and CiaW, but it was pretty amazing. UaGM wasn't the best encore, but I prefer it over PMU (which I actually don't care for). I met some pretty cool people at the show, met DT, and had an overall killer experience. I'm not sure where I would rank it among other DT shows that I've been to... The first was obviously special to me, although I was only familiar with Scenes at the time. (It was 2002). The 2nd time, I was familiar with the whole catalogue, and was with a good friend and guitar playing buddy. 3rd time was general admission, and was right after ToT, amazing show. 4th time was seeing them open for Yes, and my mom was with me. 5th and 6th were Gigantour. 7th was yesterday. Probably 1st or 2nd best show overall. Outcry really was on another level live. People that are down on that song won't be after seeing it. There was something wrong during the syncopated unison riffage in the middle. I'm not sure if someone missed a beat, or JR had the wrong patch. JP kept looking over and you could tell something was wrong, but it was minor. After it was sorted out, the metal continued.

Thanks to everyone I met, and thanks to DT for a great night. I know I'll never forget being asked by JP if I had learned the whole album.

Offline WildeSilas

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 10:05:57 PM »
Because someone had to...

No light at the end of the tunnel due to budget contraints

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:14 PM »
Nobody had to. Nobody wanted to. But you did it anyway. Looks like you pimped a pimp while you posted a post

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2011, 11:01:00 PM »
Blazinarps, that's exactly why I hate general admission shows.  Glad your night wasn't totally ruined by that chick. 

Offline 3xodus

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 12:26:23 AM »
I've seen Killswitch Engage a few times.. I love the moshing even though I always just sway along with whatever direction the crowd wants to take me. The Dillinger Escape Plan opened for them in Columbus one year and the crowd was super fucking energetic for them, which kind of amazed me. I never expected that from a Killswitch crowd. But the worst experience I had was seeing Killswitch in 100 degree temperatures at a Warped Tour in Cinci. No one would stop moshing and it felt like it was the surface of the sun inside the pit. People were just falling out everywhere and being dragged out of the crowd by the people they were with. It was borderline life threatening.

That being said, I would never in my entire fucking life consider moshing at a DT concert. No one even moshes at Metallica concerts for gods sake. There really needs to be a concert etiquette handbook that you can hand these people that are so blatantly, and obliviously,  out of place.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 03:31:18 AM »
Awesome story, UMH.  I'm extremely jealous.

You lucky bastard/motherfucker.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 04:04:42 AM »
Great reviews, guys. I can't wait to experience the same thing.  :smiley:

And, also, Ultimetalhead, you're one of the luckiest guys alive.  :metal

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 05:02:25 AM »
the questionably talented Trivium took the stage. Being in the front row for Trivium was obviously something I was prepared to suffer through

:\ :yeahright :tdwn
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 05:46:12 AM »
Honestly, I really thought that I might change my opinion on Trivium after seeing them live, but it just got worse.

Of course, like most modern metal bands, the fans were just awful too, so it was nothing but a double whammy of suck for a good 45 minutes.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 07:44:42 AM »
the questionably talented Trivium took the stage. Being in the front row for Trivium was obviously something I was prepared to suffer through

:\ :yeahright :tdwn

We're allowed to not like like Trivium, and we're allowed to think they suck.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 11:36:25 AM »
Cool reviews, guys.  Thanks for posting them.  And it's actually cool to have several in one thread (even if it does seem a bit out of place perhaps to have some from different shows in the same thread, but it's all good).

I can certainly understand if people didn't like Trivium and if the moshing Trivium fans seemed annoying.  But I have to say, I had the exact opposite experience at the S.F. show.  For instance, we were waiting in the will-call line before the show, and there was a medium-sized contingent of Trivium fans right in front of us.  One dude in particular was incredibly scary looking and from all appearances looked like he was probably a member of the Aryan Brotherhood who would rip your head off if you looked at him the wrong way.  But then he opened his mouth, and I was pleasantly surprised.  It started when one of the many homeless people around the venue walked up to the line and started singing some old blues song at the top of his lungs.  Mr. Scary Trivium Dude burst into a big smile when the guy was done, reached into his pocket for some cash, and said something along the lines of, "That was awesome.  Let me give you something for that--but only if you sing me another one."  After that, he was all laughs and smiles, and looked like a big teddy bear--uh...a big, tatted up, piercings in places where they shouldn't be, teddy bear.  Yup.  :biggrin:

But most people I saw in the crowd who were obviously Trivium fans were along similar lines in terms of attitude.  From the very front of the balcony, I had a GREAT view of a lot of intense moshing going on directly below me during Trivium's set.  But almost to a person, all the people moshing had huge smiles on their faces, were slapping high fives with everyone around them, and just looked to be enjoying themselves immensely.  Even the security people seemed to notice, because at first, they looked really tense, and tried to break up anything near them that even looked like moshing.  But not long into the set, a lot of them just pretty much let it all go and were smiling along with the crowd. 

Don't get me wrong--I'm glad I wasn't in the pit.  But, really, I caught myself smiling several times at how much fun they were all obviously having.  I've seen plenty of pits where people get mad and get into fights.  Didn't see that at my show at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 11:40:14 AM »
Trivium's crowd would never get into a brawl in a mosh pit. They're all too worried about their hair getting messed up.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 11:44:58 AM »
What I'm wondering is, the venue I'm going to tomorrow is all seated, so there's no pit at all... What are those Trivum moshers gonna do then?
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 12:15:39 PM »
What I'm wondering is, the venue I'm going to tomorrow is all seated, so there's no pit at all... What are those Trivum moshers gonna do then?
Hardcore dancing.

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 12:17:25 PM »
Hardcore dancing.
Is that a real thing? Or are you just messing with me?

I think Moshing's kinda dumb anyway, to be perfectly honest. What happened to good ol' fashioned headbanging?

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2011, 12:31:10 PM »
Headbanging lives. I have pretty severe whiplash from Bridges in the Sky, These Walls, Endless Sacrifice, and pretty much every other song with a good, heavy riff.

Hardcore dancing does exist, and consists mainly of punching/kicking the air and making a complete douche of yourself.

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2011, 12:39:03 PM »
Well, yes, I know that headbanging lives. I just meant, why isn't it enough anymore.

And wow, you're right, hardcore dancing does look douchy... But you know what, so is moshing. I mean, when you're in it, I imagine it feels really intense and hardcore. But have you ever seen footage of a mosh pit from a camera, or from the stage perspective. They end up looking like a bunch of those football players from that old, electric football game where they just kind of vibrate and move around.

No offense to any moshers here, of course.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2011, 12:48:18 PM »
I find moshing much more respectable than hardcore dancing. At least you're actually hitting something.

Offline VioletS16

• Forum crazy snake lady
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »
This thread is a lot of fun to read seeing as I'll be going to my first DT concert in....16 days! Sounds like everyone had a LOT of fun!
3 corn snakes, 1 boa, 1 python, 1 milk snake, 1 king snake, 1 rat snake, and a partridge in a pear tree.
RIP Piccolini and Maya

« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2011, 01:16:18 PM »
I find moshing much more respectable than hardcore dancing. At least you're actually hitting something.
Maybe, but it's still annoying as hell, when I'm in the front row and people keep shoving me into the barricade. Last time I ended up with a huge bruise right across my chest. I didn't really care about the bruise, but WHILE I'm at the concert, trying to enjoy the music, it gets pretty annoying.